Really?? Is this May or is it August? The Trip of a Bunch of Trips.

Can anyone explain the meaning of this "path" in Liberty Square? We learned about it on the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

IMGP7172.jpg

Its supposed to represent the "canal systems" of pavements back in colonial times.. ( Ok, I cheated and looked it up.) :lmao:
I have no clue what that other picture is from though.. :-)

Jane, Well it looks like a river to me! I know that the imaginer's wanted to keep everything as real as possible, which was the way Walt had done things throughout the park. Is this a muddy area in the center of town from that period? Or perhaps this is where they threw their ummm....stuff we flush down the sewer? :eek:

You are right! It represents the ... ummmm ... stuff. :lmao: They use to empty their chamber pots every morning out into the streets creating this river of "stuff." Ew.

Please don't let me die Disney stupid....Where in the h-double hockey sticks is this? :rotfl: Loved your DH comment earlier!

I would never let that happen. It is the tippy top of the center hub of Tomorrowland.

You are an amazing photographer! Thank you for the thoroughly entertaining TR. :)

Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying the TR. Hope you stick around.

Its supposed to represent the "canal systems" of pavements back in colonial times.. ( Ok, I cheated and looked it up.) :lmao:
I have no clue what that other picture is from though.. :-)

Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater! And I love that term ... canal system. Very nice way of saying poop in the streets. :lmao:

Chapter Six

We headed out early today so we could catch the EMH opening ceremony at Magic Kingdom. Because we wanted to be there for opening, we decided to drive. Not the best choice. (trip)

We ended up having to park on the very far end of the row. By the time I was able to hobble my way to the tram … and stopped to take a pic of our parking slot name and number … Leo had already boarded the tram, but neglected to make sure I was behind him. Not knowing where the heck he had hopped on, I just hopped on where ever there was a seat. I could find him at the other end.

At the TTC, however, we found that the monorail was not working and that we all had to use the ferry. Fat chance of making the first one since it was already filling up and my foot was misbehaving today so I could not run or even walk fast. Some one of these days, the doctors will be able to figure out what is wrong with it. No such luck so far.

By the time we made it on to the second ferry, we knew we would miss the opening ceremony. Crappolla! (trip)

But, even though we didn’t make the opening, we were, after all, at the Magic Kingdom.

This time we headed towards the Jungle Cruise and hopped on with very little wait. However, even though it was a short wait, I had this kid hanging over his father’s shoulder hacking and spewing germs in my face. I had to walk backwards to avoid getting germed. Does anyone teach their kids to cover their mouths anymore? He was definitely old enough to know how to do it.

Our guide was Josh, and he was fantastic! Probably the best we have ever had. He even made all those lame old jokes new and funny. Plus, as we headed in to that dark cave/tunnel thing, he started singing “It’s a Small World” in a very creepy voice. Very cool and very funny. We also found out later in our trip that there are two Josh’s and the second one is no where near as good as Josh #1.

From there we headed on over to Pirates. Bet you didn’t see that coming. Then we tried to go over to the Haunted Mansion, but Frontierland and Liberty Square were roped off. Say what? Since when is part of the park closed off during the morning EMH? That’s a first for us.

IMGP6656.jpg

Heading back out to the castle and on through to Fantasyland, we hopped on a few rides and hit the Peter Pan fast pass kiosk. That line for that ride is always reeedikerous (as my grandson would say). When our fast passes were kicked out, so were a couple special fast passes to Philharmagic. Cool. Even though you never really need fast passes for Philharmagic.

IMGP7128.jpg

I know, I could really use a manicure.

To kill a bit more time before we could get into the back end of the park, I did a little shopping. I found this cool little bag that is perfect for Disney. It’s the size of a fanny pack, but has a cross body strap. It’s great for carrying all the little things like my wallet and tickets as well as hand sanitizer and sun screen. I won’t be caught without it again if Leo takes the backpack and goes somewhere else.

2012-06-30125304.jpg

2012-05-10081046.jpg

Anyway, by the time I was done in the shops, it was close to 9 a.m. and we headed over to the bridge by Liberty Square and waited for rope drop.

Finally! It was time to head straight to the Haunted Mansion. Well, with a hubby potty stop along the way.

While Leo was taking care of business, I found an empty rocking chair on the porch of that small shop on the corner near the mansion. As I sat waiting for Leo to catch up, the lady next to me started asking questions. Tour guide Jane at it again.

2012-05-10100254.jpg

After a little bit, Leo came back and we hit HM. Woo-HOO!! Or should I say Woo-BOO!!

When we got off HM, the back end of the park was still pretty empty. But that was not to last. By the time we made it over to Tomorrowland, the place was packed.

IMGP6657.jpg

IMGP6658.jpg

IMGP7312.jpg

IMGP7314s.jpg

On our way through Fantasyland, we stopped in to take in Philharmagic. This was not a good choice either. As we were standing against the wall waiting to get in, Leo started playing around with the video camera. I thought he was watching some of the footage I had been shooting for the past three days. As I looked over his shoulder, I noticed the menu on the screen said “This will delete everything on your card. Are you sure you want to continue?” And, right before my eyes, he taps on “continue.” Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! (big, BIG trip)

Trying not to scream, I said, “Why did you just erase everything?” He got this very shocked look on his face and slammed the camera closed … like that would stop the deleting. Opening it back up and looking at the menu that said “no video found” I wanted to scream, cry and beat the crap out of him all at the same time. The past three days of shooting … gone! THEN … and you are going to love this one … he looked at me and said, in all seriousness, “Why did you let me do that??”

Good thing we were in the happiest place on earth because I did not want to cut my vacation short by spending time in jail for hubbyslaughter.

Luckily, he had downloaded the first few days videos already, but we lost three days’ worth. This made for a fairly un-fun view of Philharmagic. And we grumbled and hissed our way through Fantasyland and on in to Tomorrowland.

Along the way, we walked up behind possibly the biggest man I have ever seen. He wasn’t fat by any means, but he was (in my Mom’s word) humongous!! I seriously came up to about his mid back and he had shoulders half again the size of an average man. I mean, I have a brother who is 6’6” tall and over 200 pounds and a son-in-law not much smaller, so I am use to big guys. But this man blotted out the sun! I was in such awe that I didn’t even snap a photo. Leo said he must be a pro football player. If he wasn’t, he really should be. I don’t know how he fit on any of the rides.

After following the moving mountain for a while, we ended up at Buzz Lightyear where I scored this:

IMGP6708.jpg

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, that score was only because the ride stopped right in front of a 2,000 point target and I just kept shooting while we sat there.

By the way, why in the world do people bring ipads and other notebooks into the parks? I saw several people pull them out of their backpacks and hold them up to take photos or video. Really?? Aren’t cameras much smaller and easier to carry around? Kinda silly if you ask me. I know, I know … you didn’t, but I’m just sayin’.

After wandering the park most of the day, it started to rain. As we huddled in a cubby and noticed it was about 4:30, we figured we could head out. We planned to go off property for dinner and a quick grocery store run before heading to Hollywood Studios for the late Fantasmic show.

Once the rain let up, we headed to the gate. While Leo took a quick potty stop, I noticed all the lovebugs … all over the darned place. There were a few of them floating around the past few days, but it seemed like someone opened the flood gates and, all of a sudden, there were gazillions of them everywhere. I am glad they aren’t creepy looking or anything related to spiders in any way, shape or form.

IMGP7174.jpg

Yep, I am a U.S. soldier who thinks bats are cute, I catch mice so my cats don’t hurt them, I love snakes, I pick up and play with cicadas, but a spider totally freaks me out. If I see one within a 10-foot radius, I run screaming like Freddy Kruger is chasing me. Hubby has a giggle fest at my expense every time I see one in the foyer and come running back up the stairs. As I said earlier, ever see a fat old lady run???

Trying not to squish the little buggers on our way out the gate, we left the park and headed to the Heroes parking lot and made our way off property.

Now comes my favorite part of any time we head out to eat. The “what do you want,” “I don’t know, what do you want” debate. It always starts out with Leo saying he doesn’t care where we eat and that I should choose. But the conversation always goes like this:

Leo: Where do you want to eat?
Me: Doesn’t matter. What are you craving?
Leo: Nothing in particular. Where ever you want to go.
Me: Ok, how about Chick-fil-et?
Leo: Naw, I am sick of chicken.
Me: Ok, how about Taco Bell?
Leo: I don’t think my stomach can handle that.
Me: Ok, how about McDonald’s?
Leo: Boring.
Me: Ok, how about this place?
Leo: Nah.
Me: How about that place?
Leo: Nope.
Me: Ok, you pick a place!!
Leo: Doesn’t matter to me. Where do you want to go?

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

After this goes on all the way down the strip, I finally see signs for Cracker Barrel. That’s it!! We are going there, no ifs, ands or buts.

But he missed the turn.

A couple miles (and several turning opportunities) down the road, he made a u-turn and we finally made it to CB. The food was great, plentiful and very affordable. And a plate full of nicely steamed veggies was just what I needed after nearly a week on fast food.

On our way to find Wal-Mart for groceries, I realized we would never make it on the Amazing Race. If I tell Leo to turn left, he turns right. I say right, he turns left. I say go straight, he makes a u-ie. Is this a man thing or just a Leo thing?

As we were driving along 192, we noticed a lot of boarded up buildings and businesses. Even one of the luxury hotels was all boarded up. That was in-your-face proof of how tough this economy is right now … and that it is not getting any better. So sad.

As we made our way (a very round-about way) back to Disney, a pretty bad storm front was moving in. Not again! We got stormed out the last time.

By the time we got back to Shades, the storm had come in. We were only on the outskirts of it, but it was still pretty bad with strong winds and heavy rain. It did let up by the time we needed to leave for HS, but we were hoping the threatening skies would discourage some people and the crowds would be lower.

Yah, right. The place was already crowded by the time we got there, but we did get some decent seats right up front … although they were all the way in the second to last section on the left.

And yes, they still do that stupid wave thing.

As we sat there waiting for the show to begin, we noticed this group of about 12 young men in the mid to late teens sitting in front of and beside us. Oh great, this is going to be fun. But, so much for stereo typing teenaged boys. They were the best behaved kids I have seen in a long time. I couldn’t believe it. I even had to compliment their chaperone.

While we were still waiting, the chaperone received a call from more kids from his group trying to locate them. We knew this from hearing this end of the conversation: We are all the way to the left, all the way down.

Five minutes later, another call: We are all the way to the left, all the way down.

A couple minutes later, yet another call: All the way to the left, all the way down.

Finally, the entire group stood up and started yelling and waving their hands. That did the trick. The long lost sheep found the flock.

On with the show! And, as usual, it was a great show. But, what was NOT usual … or great … was that our little six-foot space got soaked during the show. And I do mean soaked. After the show, we noticed that where we were sitting was the only spot in the entire theater that had an actual puddle.

2012-05-08213356.jpg

Wet and happy, we headed back home. Since it was just 10:30 when we got home, Leo hit the shower and then flipped channels trying to find any kind of sport (I think he would watch competitive solitaire if they labeled it sports) while I did some laundry.

We were all tucked in and sound asleep by midnight. Well, at least until I snorted us both awake in the middle of the night. Where the hell did that come from? We giggled ourselves back to sleep and were down for the count.

Love the pictures of the empty park early in the morning!!! Three weeks and 4 hours and we hit the road....I finally started a PTR yesterday, so I can obsess over all our plans in there. I can't wait!!

Chapter Six

To kill a bit more time before we could get into the back end of the park, I did a little shopping. I found this cool little bag that is perfect for Disney. It’s the size of a fanny pack, but has a cross body strap. It’s great for carrying all the little things like my wallet and tickets as well as hand sanitizer and sun screen. I won’t be caught without it again if Leo takes the backpack and goes somewhere else.

2012-06-30125304.jpg

I just love :love:this little bag. I am putting it on my August shopping list.
Sorry to hear about your 'video loss'. I'm thinking your DH will be banned from playing with the camera for some time to come; or maybe not....after all, it was your fault for letting him hit delete, right? :confused:. Spoken like a true man. LOL :rotfl2:

Another great installment.. The lady you are sitting with in the rocking chairs looks just like Ellen DeGeneres. (At least in that picture.) I swear I thought it was her..;) Love your sense of humor.. Your posts always have me laughing,:lmao:

Love the pictures of the empty park early in the morning!!! Three weeks and 4 hours and we hit the road....I finally started a PTR yesterday, so I can obsess over all our plans in there. I can't wait!!

Woo-hoo!!! So excited for you! :banana:

I just love :love:this little bag. I am putting it on my August shopping list.
Sorry to hear about your 'video loss'. I'm thinking your DH will be banned from playing with the camera for some time to come; or maybe not....after all, it was your fault for letting him hit delete, right? :confused:. Spoken like a true man. LOL :rotfl2:

I had several people stop me in the parks to ask where I got it. I got mine in the main store on Main Street but I have seen them in every park. If I remember right, it was about $25. But, my DH wanted me to make sure you knew that it doesn't come with all the key chains. :lmao:

Another great installment.. The lady you are sitting with in the rocking chairs looks just like Ellen DeGeneres. (At least in that picture.) I swear I thought it was her..;) Love your sense of humor.. Your posts always have me laughing,:lmao:

Now that you mention it, she does. I wish it had been. I love Ellen. She is so silly.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!!! Wish I could see the fireworks at Magic Kingdom tonight. Bet they are fabulous! :mickeyjum:jumping1:

Happy Fourth of July everyone!!! Wish I could see the fireworks at Magic Kingdom tonight. Bet they are fabulous! :mickeyjum:jumping1:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Fourth to you, too, Jane! And thank you once again for your service. :love:
Yeah, I'd love to be watching those fireworks tonight with you (except for the crowds!).
162d 22h for me!:banana:

still loving your report! Wish I could have you with my family on our trip in a couple of weeks! I would love to have all your info at my fingertips! BTW...thanks to your husband for noting that the keychains don't come with the bag...I love the bag and will buy some keychains to make it look cute like yours!

Happy Fourth of July! If I wasn't laughing, your posts had me smiling. Is Shades the whole name? Does Shades offer entrance to the Extra Magic Hours just like a Disney Resort?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Fourth to you, too, Jane! And thank you once again for your service. :love:
Yeah, I'd love to be watching those fireworks tonight with you (except for the crowds!).
162d 22h for me!:banana:

What ... no minutes and seconds in your countdown?? What's up with that? :lmao:

still loving your report! Wish I could have you with my family on our trip in a couple of weeks! I would love to have all your info at my fingertips! BTW...thanks to your husband for noting that the keychains don't come with the bag...I love the bag and will buy some keychains to make it look cute like yours!

Count me in! Oh yah, that takes money, doesn't it? Well, I will be there in spirit. As for those key chains, I usually buy one or two new ones each visit and I have so many on my bag now that I jingle when I walk. And some of them are actually designed to go on the pin lanyards, but I love hanging them on my bags. This all started years ago when my grandson was a toddler and I put a keychain on my purse to keep him occupied at restaurants and such. It has just grown from there ... and I can't use him as an excuse anymore. He turns seven on Saturday.

Happy Fourth of July! If I wasn't laughing, your posts had me smiling. Is Shades the whole name? Does Shades offer entrance to the Extra Magic Hours just like a Disney Resort?

Glad you are enjoying my TR. The full name of the resort is Shades of Green and we are able to use the EMH, thankfully. I just love those extra few hours. It's amazing how much you can get done in just that first hour in the morning.

Ah, SOG. Maybe I'll remember what that acronym is the next time someone uses it. Does Shades also give you a parking pass or would you need to pay to park in a park parking lot? I must be bringing back memories of your tour guide role. : o )

My nephew got married last Saturday and he is spending his honeymoon in WDW. Last night he had adr at California Grill so they could see the fireworks first hand..HOW NICE!!

Finally found the hidden Mickey, on the chin, but can't figure how to post a picture with him hi-lighted.

Enjoying the trip report, glad I'm not the only oldie who enjoys WDW, but always feel a little creepy racing around and running under the water spouts, etc. (to cool down, you understand) and my wife doesn't approve at all!

Internet says Shades is only for Military or DoD.

Sorry. Yes, it is just for military. I forget not everyone knows this ... silly me. And in answer to your other question, no, we don't get free parking anywhere except magic kingdom we use to, but disney decided they didn't want to do that for us anymore.

My nephew got married last Saturday and he is spending his honeymoon in WDW. Last night he had adr at California Grill so they could see the fireworks first hand..HOW NICE!!

How exciting!!!!!! Can't think of a better honeymoon. Tell them congrats for me.

Finally found the hidden Mickey, on the chin, but can't figure how to post a picture with him hi-lighted.

Enjoying the trip report, glad I'm not the only oldie who enjoys WDW, but always feel a little creepy racing around and running under the water spouts, etc. (to cool down, you understand) and my wife doesn't approve at all!

You found him! And, no, you are definitely not the only oldie who lets the kid out at the World. Although, I have not taken on the water spouts ... yet. I can see it now, you and I dancing around in the water with your wife and my hubby both standing off to the side shaking their heads and denying any knowledge of who we are. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter