Really?? Is this May or is it August? The Trip of a Bunch of Trips.

Believe it or not, I have never stepped foot in Pittsburgh. But I have been a Steelers fan since ... well ... forever. I started liking them back when Bradshaw was QB. Not telling my age any, am I? :lmao:

Here's an easy one:

What in the World is this??

IMGP7677s.jpg

OK, so I just spent the last two hours posting chapter three. But do you see it??? Noooooooooooo... :scared1:

My computer completely pooped out on me and I lost the entire thing. I will have to start from scratch tomorrow ... if I decide NOT to throw this thing out the window. :rolleyes1

OK, so I just spent the last two hours posting chapter three. But do you see it??? Noooooooooooo... :scared1:

My computer completely pooped out on me and I lost the entire thing. I will have to start from scratch tomorrow ... if I decide NOT to throw this thing out the window. :rolleyes1

UGH!!! :headache: How frustrating, after all that work. Hope your computer behaves itself tomorrow.

Eeeeek!!! :scared1:
Oh NO, Jane!!!! Technology is wonderful---WHEN IT WORKS!

Sending :goodvibes and pixiedust: for better luck tomorrow.

Here's a :grouphug: from all of us anxiously awaiting your next chapter. :love:

Chapter Three

We are up and out early today. It’s our first day in the parks and, believe it or not, we are not hitting the Magic Kingdom first. Only because it is Extra Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios today.

Sitting on the bus with just 10 minutes to leave, I realized I had forgotten to take the batteries out of the charger and put them in my camera. (trip) Can I make it back to the room and back in less than 10 minutes? We shall see.

I take off on a run (or, what passes for a run for me) through the café, up the stairs, through the lobby, down the hall, up the elevator (well, I rode that), into the room and snatched up the batteries. Then off I go again on a run through the hotel.

Ever see a fat old lady with a bad foot run? Not a pretty sight.

But I made it before the bus left, which is a good thing since this bus leaves just once an hour. Huffing and puffing, I loaded my camera … wait! Where’s my camera?

Just kidding. I had my camera.

Anyway, we arrive to the Studios by 8 a.m. for EMH and headed straight to Toy Story Mania, fully expecting lines for both the ride and the fast past kiosks. However, there were no lines at either! Shock of shocks.

So we snatched up a couple fast passes and then hopped in line. And, of course, I beat Leo both times. I even had the highest score in the car on one trip. Very cool! And it would have been even cooler if the other couple in the car had not been in their 70s.

IMGP6235s.jpg

Oh yah! Forgot to say that that big ugly stage was no longer in front of Big Blue this year. Woo-hoo! I can finally take some good night shots of Big Blue this year.

IMGP6231s.jpg

While we were standing in the Q for the Great Movie Ride, Leo happened to notice the carpeting and said, “Why don’t you take a picture of the carpet for your ‘where in the hell’ pictures?”

For some reason, I thought that was the most hysterical thing at that moment and just couldn’t stop giggling. When I was finally able to put words together coherently, I squeaked out, “You mean the ‘where in the World’ pictures?” Then he started to giggle.

By the time we started loading onto the ride, our little giggle fest subsided.

Finishing up at the Great Movie Ride, we headed down the street towards the Backlot Tour, the only other thing open during EMH that we were interested in. Or so we thought.

Along the way I had to stop at Big Blue to check out the pins. There really weren’t many limited editions this year to choose from. I did, however, find the 2012 Mothers’ Day pin. Of course, I made the mistake of only buying one. I never did find them again to get one for Tanisha … for which I was called all kinds of not-so-Disney names when I got home.

Anyway, on to the Backlot Tour. As we approached the entrance, we noticed it was roped off and a line was forming outside the Q. Yep, a line to get in line.

The couple in line ahead of us was busy debating on whether or not the wife had time to run to the bathroom. I pointed out that the bathrooms were right there. But as she was just about to go inside, the line opened and the hubby called her back. I told them she had plenty of time to make it because we would be in the Q for a bit.

Now, I guess this little tidbit of info alerted them to the fact I was a veteran Worlder because they spent the next 10-15 minutes rapid firing me all kinds of questions. This was not only their first trip, but possibly their only trip. So, we spent our Q time talking Disney strategies and what they just could not miss.

And this was just one of several times I played tour guide on this trip. Leo is still trying to figure out how people just seem to know I am the right person to ask. It may have something to do with me sticking my nose in … I mean, offering my assistance whenever I overhear anyone wrestling with what to do or where to go. Sorry, I just can’t help myself. I just want everyone to have as much fun as we do.

After the Backlot Tour, we decided to stop for Leo’s annual Mickey ice cream bar. And, this year, I decided to get one too. My very first Mickey ice cream bar! It was good, but I couldn’t finish it. Way too sweet for me.

As we were sitting there enjoying our treats, we were doing a bit of people watching. Then we saw this mid-life lady walk by wearing short shorts (I think they are called booty shorts) … with her underwear hanging out from the bottom.

Ummmmm, really??

Before heading to the Indie show, we did some squished penny hunting and noticed the crowd was picking up. By the time we made it to the show, the park was packed … and hot. We figured the high crowd level was because this was the weekend and that levels would thin out during the week.

Yah, right.

IMGP6249.jpg

At the Indie show we were able to squeeze into the front row. I have found that if you get there closer to show time, you can usually find a few seats down front, especially after they tell the crowd to skoot over.

Anyway, the show was great, as usual, and we were able to get pics with the actors. And, no, Leo is not standing in a hole. That guy is just that tall.

IMGP6250s.jpg

IMGP6252.jpg

We did some more penny hunting before heading back to Shades at about 4 p.m. I couldn’t believe how crowded and hot it was.

Now I know how it must feel like in July and August.

By the way, they now have chains up at the bus stop for the line, which is great. I always hated the mad dash for the bus when there wasn’t a chain.

Also, did they always sell beer at the Studios? I never noticed that before.

Back at Shades, we relaxed for a bit and took a quick nap before heading to Magic Kingdom for the evening.

I decided to take the small backpack for the evening since we would only be there for a few hours. However, Leo took nearly everything out of the big backpack and stuffed it into the small one. Kind of defeats the purpose. Sheesh!

Ok, this is what I have been waiting for all day … oh, who am I kidding … all year: Magic Kingdom!!!!!

On the way, we saw the Avengers monorail and it was really cool. We didn’t see it in time to get any pics or video, so we made a point to try to catch it later. Turned out not to be such an easy task.

Walking through the gate, we were stunned at the crowd level, as well as the tone of the crowd. It wasn’t the same Disney crowd we normally run into. This crowd fit more into Six Flags, than Disney. The dress code was more … relaxed and the people were much more pushy, rude, foul-mouthed and down-right nasty than what we are used to.

What the heck is going on?

But, nasty crowd or no crowd, I was standing in front of “my house!” After standing in front of the castle for a bit, we headed to Pirates, of course. And even though the crowds were high, there was no line at Pirates.

IMGP7153.jpg

I was so excited for my first ride on Pirates that I nearly ran over a little old lady who was trying to find her way in the dark. I forget that this is new to some people. I can find my way blind folded.

Feeling like a heel, I slowed down and patiently guided her around, or tried to. She was a none-too-friendly old lady. When we finally made it to the loading area, I found out why she was so testy. She was there with her family and they had just taken off and left her to fend for herself in the dark. And boy did she cuss them out! I have no idea what she was saying (I think she was speaking Portuguese), but I know that tone … and it sure wasn’t “I love you.”

I no longer felt like quite as much of a heel anymore.

aIMGP2922.jpg

From Pirates, we headed back through Adventureland to cut through to Frontierland to head towards the Haunted Mansion. On the way we noticed there was no line for the Magic Carpets. Since I have never ridden this particular ride (I hate things that go in circles), and it is one of Leo’s faves, I decided to give it a try. If I threw up, that’s OK, it was dark and maybe no one would notice.

I actually didn’t get nauseous at all and actually enjoyed the ride. Well, at least until that stupid camel spit all over me. And it wasn’t just a little sprinkle. I think he threw up and me!

Of course, my ever-so-supportive hubby thought this was hilarious … because it completely missed him.

Covered in camel spit, we headed to the Haunted Mansion and found no line there either. I think it was because people were lining up for the parade. Bennie for us! So far, even with the heavy crowds, the lines were short or nonexistent.

As we meandered … yes, I actually said ‘meandered’ … through Fantasyland, we hopped in and out of a few rides and, of course, Philharmagic. And in Philharmagic, the group of kids in front of us and the little girl beside me were first-timers. I just love watching first-timers in here. And the little girl next to me was just too darned cute for words. She was grabbing for things, ducking, singing, clapping and giggling her way through the entire show.

aIMGP2498.jpg

Even though we usually pass on Snow White, we chose to ride it this year because it would be closing permanently at the end of the month. Just had to ride it one last time.

By this time it was getting close to the 10 p.m. fireworks and we were getting a bit hungry. Since we were going into Tomorrowland … and closer to the home of my chili cheese fries … we decided to go to Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café. I wanted to grab a seat out on the back deck facing the castle. I know you can’t see the fireworks from here, I just wanted the view of the castle and the peace and quiet.

No such luck on the peace and quiet part. There were quite a few very noisy and nasty newbies out there who were determined that they had the best seat in the house … even though I warned them they would not be able to see anything. Oh well. I tried.

After about 20 minutes, the fireworks started and then came the mad dash out of the area. Tables were pushed aside, chairs were overturned and there was quite the colorful language being spewed about. It was sooooo hard not saying, “I told you so.” There was this one kid, though, who was determined. He was nearly upside down and hanging half way over the railing and yelling, “I can see them! I can see them!”

Ok kid, you look comfy.

Oh, and, by the way … the chili cheese fries we D-LISH!

After dinner, we strolled (nope, no meandering) around Tomorrowland a while just enjoying the night. As we were walking, I noticed this woman walking and texting and not paying attention to where she was going. Then … oops … she ran into the rounded end of one of those low benches and fell flat on her tummy right across the bench. If I had not just watched what happened, I would have thought she had purposely laid down there to rest or nap. She just went down so slowly and smoothly, it was pretty comical.

18a.jpg

She wasn’t hurt, just embarrassed, so it was extremely hard for me not to bust out laughing. Of course, the hubby missed the whole thing, as usual, and it wasn’t nearly as funny trying to explain it.

What a comical and amusing end to a great day. It is always so hard to leave this park, but we did.

And, by the way, does anyone know what that horrible dirty feet smell is? I am hoping it is some kind of flower or plant and not my feet!

Well, it wasn’t my feet, anyway.

I really feel like I am right there with you as you go through your day! Maybe one day we will be there at the same time again and actually get to meet up! I sure hope so.

Just started following along! I was excited to read that you drove down to Disney because that's what my family does too! Can't wait to read more! :)

Just started following along! I was excited to read that you drove down to Disney because that's what my family does too! Can't wait to read more! :)

Welcome aboard!

Hey! I'm here...now I gotta go back and read.

Welcome back. Both from your trip and to my TR. Can't wait to hear about your trip on the high seas.

I have absolutely no idea:confused3

Teehee.

looks like the epcot ball but I know I am wrong
Once again.. great reading your trip report

Well, you are half right. It is a rendition of Spaceship Earth, but where would you see it?

Chapter Four

Today we decided to sleep in and go to Epcot whenever we got up. I woke up at 7:45 and Leo kept snoring away until 9.

Up and on our way by 10:30, this was the latest we have ever done a park. And boy would we pay the price.

IMGP6281.jpg

On our way through the gates, I stopped to take a few pics … big surprise. Then I heard this lady yelling her kid’s name in a very annoyingly high-pitched voice over and over and over and over trying to get his attention for a photo. I nearly yelled his name too just to get his attention and shut her up.

We then headed straight over to Soarin’. Fat chance for a ride anytime soon … the standby line was 120 minutes! There was even a 30-minute wait for Living with the Land. Good googa mooga! I have never – evvvvvvver – seen this ride with any line at all. It has always been a walk up and hop on. (trip)

So we just grabbed fast passes for Soarin’ and headed out to hit up Spaceship Earth. Fat chance of that too. That line was wound around the side of the building. (trip)

Then we headed over to Test Track. Now, I knew it was scheduled to be closed by the time we got there, but I was holding out a little hope that maybe the closure was delayed just a bit. No such luck. That was one of the saddest sights to see … all closed up and silent. (trip) It was so sad, in fact, that I didn’t even take a photo of it.

Since our fast passes to Soarin’ were not until 3:45, we decided to wander the area and get some pics and video.

I decided to do more video this year than stills since all of Leo’s past videos remind me more of the Blair Witch Project. The jiggle factor is so high that you can’t watch them without getting nauseous. So, I wanted to get a lot of steady pan shots that actually show the parks so I can try to create a “day in the park” at all four parks.

Besides, I have taken at least 100 photos of each and every thing in each and every park.

At this point, Leo started feeling a bit “off” and headed to the bathroom. As I sat waiting for him, I noticed this 20-something couple coming out of the family bathroom … with no family in tow.

Oooooo-kay! I told you the tone of this year’s crowd was different. And here is another example: A man and his wife came up and sat on the bench beside me with the man next to me. After about a minute, he leaned sideways and lifted his keester towards me and let one rip. Really?? And it was no small putt-putt either. It was a rip-roarin’, shake, rattle and roll! I nearly fell off the end of the bench. (gross trip)

OMG!! That was amazingly rude and disgusting. And, yes, I moved … quickly.

IMGP6309s.jpg

I moved over to the wall by the bushes to sit and wait for Leo. As I sat there, this little female ducky came waddling along the wall and right up to me. I mean, she was so close I could have touched her. Then she just stood there staring at me. I don’t know what she wanted, but it was cute. Until, however, this obnoxious kid (who was old enough to know better) came over and tried to grab her and she took off. Brat.

By this time, Leo had finally returned … looking really bad. His tummy was in bad shape and he didn’t want to move too far from the bathrooms for a while. (big trip) I felt so bad for him. But he told me to go wander and get some pics and video instead of sitting here waiting on him.

So I headed out to this one spot I wanted to shoot from over near the Universe of Energy. I wanted to catch the monorail passing by the UE sign. Of course, the monorail only passes once every 20-30 minutes and one had just passed as I was walking up. But of course! (trip)

IMGP6288s.jpg

IMGP6291.jpg

IMGP6286.jpg

IMGP6282.jpg

So I wandered around for a bit taking pics of some of the topiaries in the area. And after what seemed like forever … and no shady place to hide … I finally got the shot I wanted. Of course, I had not put on any sun screen at this point in the day … and it was in the backpack which was with Leo on the other side … so I could feel my shoulders and neck sizzling. (trip)

After getting the shot, and much more sun than I needed, I headed back to check on the hubby. On the way, I stopped in at the butterfly pavilion to grab some shots. While shooting the Bambi topiaries inside the pavilion, I noticed this little baby bunny snuggled in among the flowers. He was soooo cute … and right near Bambi and Thumper. How appropriate.

IMGP6316.jpg

IMGP6331s.jpg

IMGP6319.jpg

IMGP6321.jpg

As I headed back to the hubby, I noticed this couple I had seen earlier in the day. But when I saw them earlier, the hubby was in the wheel chair and the wife was pushing. Now, the wife was in the chair and the hubby was pushing. People, people, people …

Anyway, I found Leo sitting in a shady spot still looking pretty bad. I went and got him some cold water and walked him over to the Innoventions building where he could sit in the AC and still be near a bathroom. I then headed on over to the first aid station to see if they had any tummy meds.

IMGP6314.jpg

Of course, the first aid station was waaaaaaay over on the other side of the park nearer to Mexico. But, they did have some tummy meds … and gave it to me in a little plastic dosing cup. I am going to carry this little plastic cup filled to the brim all the way across the park in this crowd? Thank goodness the guy read my face and gave me a drinking cup to put it in.

We were both very thankful that the med worked and Leo started feeling better within about 30 minutes. The poor guy has been fighting this battle for about three hours now. I asked him if he wanted to go back to the room and rest, but he wanted to stay. What a trooper!

So, after a while, we headed out and wandered around Innoventions for a while … still not wanting to get too far from the bathrooms just yet. By the time Leo was feeling back to normal, we were close to our fast pass time at Soarin’ and went back to the Land building and grabbed something very light for lunch.

After Soarin’… and Leo feeling back to 100 percent, we headed over to the World Showcase. By the time we made it over to the American pavilion, it was nearly time for the ELO concert. We grabbed some seats and I headed back to the funnel cake stand. Gots to have my funnel cake!

The concert was great … and the funnel cake was great-er!

After the concert, we wandered the World Showcase just enjoying the evening … and Leo’s settled tummy.

IMGP6338.jpg

IMGP6344.jpg

As the evening wore on and the sun was beginning to set, the sky turned ugly. By about 7:30 or so, the sky opened up and it poured. We took refuge in Norway, but with the bad lightening, the ride was closed so we just hung around the shop.

The storm only lasted about 15 minutes, though, so we were able to hop on the ride when it reopened and had no line to speak of.

IMGP6347.jpg

By this time, Leo wanted to head out and find a spot for Illuminations. Since I can’t watch this show up close (light sensitive eyes), I headed over to the gateway area.

Headed towards the twin shops at the gateway, I noticed several CMs actually squeegee-ing the sidewalks. Only at Disney would they do this!

I went into the first shop and found a couple things I wanted. However, at checkout I found out that the gift cards I have been holding on to since Christmas just for this purpose are not accepted at any vendors in the parks. There goes $150 I thought I had for souvies. (big trip)

Anyway, after a little shopping, I found a spot on the wall to sit where I could see the fireworks a little, but not the explosions that bother my eyes.

As I was sitting there, a family from Alabama sat on one side of me and another family from Tennessee sat on the other side of me. And, once again, I became a two-sided tour guide. As I answered questions from both families, I must have looked like I was at a tennis match. But, I had fun and it made the wait time go by faster.

IMGP6348.jpg

IMGP6356.jpg

IMGP6358.jpg

Once Illuminations was done, and Leo found me, we headed back to Shades. We were home and all tucked in by 11 p.m.

Now, is anyone out there from Virginia? If so, can you please tell me if there is a law in your state against rest areas along the highway? We hit 223 miles before hitting an actual rest area.

I'm from VA. NHo law but to "save money" the powers that be decided to close several rest stops. Yeah, we don't get it either. The truck drivers raised a HUGE stink about it and they reopened a few of them. Guess the safety aspects of the rest stops isn't a concern. There was a campaign to get corporate sponsors to set up biz at the rest stop. If I could get BK rather than a cup of that nasty coffee or vending machine food, I'd be in hog heaven. The rest rooms would probaby be cleaner and better supplied this way as well, but nooooo we can't have that.

I'm new to the forums and am loving your report BTW. :cool1:

edit: Oh, and I believe the image is Spaceship Earth as seen in Illuminations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter