• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading Challenge 2022

17/25- Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan-This was a cute but predictable book set in the Cornwall area of England. I loved all the descriptions of bread-making, definitely comfort food reading!

18/25-One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle-This book had an interesting premise and I enjoyed the setting- Positano, Italy. I would love to visit one day, sounds wonderful. My mom had read this and so I decided to check it out as well.

19/25- Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan- I had recently watched this limited series on Netflix and saw the book at my local library for sale. I've been picking up three to four books a week at various library branches so I can stock the new bookcases my husband made for me. It's been a lot of fun actually and I'm supporting the library(these are all donated books). I much preferred the book, I thought it was great and I love the author's writing style. I'll be seeking out some more of her books.

52/75
Eternal by Lisa Scottoline is a story of the terrible plight of the Roman Jewish community during WWII. It is also a love story. I am glad I read it. I have enjoyed many of Lisa Scottoline’s books. This subject was hard to read about, but I’m glad I did! 4.5/5

Last edited:
#38/50 Verity by Colleen Hoover
This has been reviewed on here before so not going go into detail.
I, personally did not care for it at all. Could have been so much better without all the sex talk.

#17/20 - The Last Queen by CW Gortner
⭐⭐⭐⭐️ out of 5
The Last Queen is about Juana of Castile and Aragon. She was the daughter of Isabella and Ferdinand and the older sister of Katharine of Aragon (the first wife of Henry VIII). She married Philip of Burgundy who was heir to the Holy Roman Emperor. With this many important personages in her life, I still knew nothing about Juana herself before reading this book.
I really enjoy historical fiction, but this book was exceptional. Well-written with finely developed characters, this is one of the best I've read.

#18/20 - It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
⭐⭐⭐⭐️ out of 5
Started as what I thought was going to be a romance novel. Fell in love with the characters and then had my heart ripped out. Everyone woman needs her story told about what’s really happening behind closed doors in order to get the help and refuge they need from spousal abuse.

Last edited:

22/30 - Chasing Helicity by Ginger Zee

Description:
"Helicity is well aware that her name is unusual - kind of like Helicity herself. The word Helicity means to spin, and for as long as she can remember, Helicity has been fascinated by the weather. The weather is Helicity's escape from her own reality - may that be school, her father's strict discipline, or her brother's imminent departure for college where he's all set to play football.

One fateful day, Helicity and her horse head out on a long ride to take a break from life at home. Even with her vast experience with weather, Helicity is unprepared for the elements she faces. The choices Helicity makes before, during, and after that storm will have a lasting effect on her family and her future."

This is not a book I would normally read since it was written for a middle school age audience, but I decided to read it since it is involves meteorology. It is the first of a three book series. I thought it was pretty good, and may eventually read the other 2 books in the series.

32/40 Wolf Pack: Mystery on Isle Royale by Jeanne Meeks.
Book two of the Backcountry Mysteries. Follows newly divorced Amy as she and her adult daughter spend a week in Michigan's UP. While there they visit Sarah, Amy's best friend that she met while in the Grand Canyon. Mystery and murder ensue. While some aspects are predictable, it is an enjoying read. [sadly only 2 books in this series, and this was from 2014]

53/75
Sadly the last book in the series was only an novella. Anyway, 4/5 just because it was short, and didn’t take us further, it just filled some gaps! An Irish Country Yuletide by Patrick Taylor.

32/40 Wolf Pack: Mystery on Isle Royale by Jeanne Meeks.
Book two of the Backcountry Mysteries. Follows newly divorced Amy as she and her adult daughter spend a week in Michigan's UP. While there they visit Sarah, Amy's best friend that she met while in the Grand Canyon. Mystery and murder ensue. While some aspects are predictable, it is an enjoying read. [sadly only 2 books in this series, and this was from 2014]
I’ve put a request in for the first in series novel. Rim to Rim!

Update time-I've read quite a few since last time.

#30-"Beautiful", Danielle Steel, 3 stars. Typical Danielle Steel. Kind of shallow, kind of predictable; but I enjoyed it.

#31-"The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop", Fannie Flag, 4 stars. I liked this.

#32-"They Went Left", Monica Hesse, 4 stars. An interesting story of what happens to the Jews from the concentration camps after the war.

#33-Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnie Grams, 4 stars. In some ways, I could really relate to the main character. She was a woman scientist in a world dominated by men in the same era that I was a woman engineer at a previously all-male college (first co-ed class), then the second woman engineer at a 3 thousand person company. So that made her story extremely relevant to me. It was hard for me to approach this book without bias-what would I have rated it?

#34-The Vatican Pimpernel, Brian Fleming, 2 stars. Why do I read non-fiction? Such a book usually reads like a textbook to me. But others may enjoy it-how a priest in the Vatican saved lives in WWII.

#35-"Meant to Be", Emily Giffin, 3 1/2 stars. Didn't live up to the hype for me, but not a bad read if you don't have high expectations.

#36-"The Boardwalk Bookshop", Susan Mallery, 2 stars. It really pains me to give a Susan Mallery book only 2 stars. But I just couldn't understand the views on romance at all of the main characters. Swore me off romance books.

#37-"The Scarlett Dress", Louise Douglas, 3 stars. Interesting mystery of what really happened to someone killed over 20 years ago. Told in split time between when it happened and now. I usually like the split style of writing, but this was rather jarring at times.

#38-"Sh*t my Dad Says", Justin Halpern. 4 stars. Light and really funny about comments from his 70+ yo father (the same age as DH, so maybe that's why it was so funny).

#39-"Girl in the Blue Coat", Monica Hesse, 3 1/2 stars. I didn't like this as much as her other book (#32), but it was still a good read. The disappearance of a hidden Jewish girl in WWII.
I give “ They Went Left “ by Monica Hesse 4/5 stars too! Thanks for mentioning it. 55/75

Keeping on keeping on...

76. The Immortal Conquistador by Carrie Vaughn

So I've been reading the reviews of the Kitty Norville (the Werewolf) series as posted on this forum with great interest (thank you @Caseheidi), and wanted to read some of them myself. I went to my local library and this is the only one they carry (in paperback). I recognize that it is a standalone novel (and tells the story of what I guess is a side character in the series - Rick, the Vampire). I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this, even though I am not familiar with the series itself. I now will go back and find the kindle versions of the series and read them. Thanks for the recommendation!

77. Campusland by Scott Johnston

I work in higher education and this week we welcomed students back to campus. How I pray that they aren't like the students in this book. This parody / fictional novel tells the story of a privileged group of students at an elite college, and makes fun of them all. It certainly comes from a perspective I don't share politically, criticizing political correctness, and blaming colleges for much of what is wrong in today's culture wars. It was an interesting read, and I do like reading books from perspectives other than my own, but I did take some offense at some of it. Trigger warnings if you are easily offended, but read on if you want to read a very exaggerated version of liberalism.

78. Dawn at Mineral King Valley: The Sierra Club, the Disney Company, and the Rise of Environmental Law by Daniel P. Selmi

This non-fictional account of the Disney Ski Resort that wasn't takes us through the entire process of proposal, argument, suit, appeal, and Supreme Court case. For those who may not know, Disney had plans to build a large ski resort in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Mineral King Valley. This was all taking place at about the same time that Walt was seriously considering (and making plans for) the Florida Project. While the book is thorough and full of interesting details (it was written by a law professor), for me what was missing was the connection to Walt Disney World. I am sure that the Disney company's work in Florida had impact on their willingness to push hard for Mineral King, but the book was silent on this part. An interesting read for a serious Disney buff or scholar, but probably not worth it if you don't want to know the history.

More reading, and this time some for work...

79. and 80. Demographics and the Demand for Higher Education and The Agile College by Nathan Grawe

Read these for work. In case you didn't know, we are in the middle of a "birth dearth" in our country. For the last several years (even prior to the pandemic), our birth rate had slowed to a level that means our number of kids is shrinking. And immigration won't make up the difference. A number of experts have been talking about the impact on higher education for the next 18 years or so, and Grawe takes this work and builds upon it in interesting ways. The author looks at projected impacts by sector (private not-for profit, public) and selectivity (elite institutions, top 50, regional, and public) and also examines demographic influences (ethnicity, parental income, region of the country, parental education status). In so doing, he paints a picture which is much more useful and informative for schools in different sectors and makes the argument that the coming crisis in higher education won't be felt evenly by all. The second book (The Agile College) goes even farther by offering institutions some ideas of how to best prepare for what is to come and reviews updates to the model. Overall, very interesting and I am looking forward to seeing a post-pandemic update to Grawe's predictions (hopefully).

81. Here's the Deal: A Memoir by Kellyann Conway

I make a point of listing but not reviewing any blatantly political book I read, and I will continue that practice here. If you would like to hear my opinion of the book, feel free to message me and we can discuss it. The only thing I will say is that while I disagree with her politics, Kellyann is a wonderful writer. This was a long book (nearly 500 pages), but I sped through it.

Now off to resume my Stephen King re-read. My copy of Fairy Tale is waiting, but I promised myself I would finish the re-read in order and not add any new books until I got there. Already started Duma Key.

56/75. Three Debts Paid by Anne Perry. So glad to read this next novel in the Daniel Pitt series. It’s set in Victorian England, and I enjoyed it, 4.5/5

23/30 - True Light by Terri Blackstock

Description:
"Now eight months into a global blackout, the residents of Oak Hollow are trying to cope with the deep winter nights and a gnawing hunger from a food shortage. The struggle to survive can bring out the worst in anyone.

A teenage friend of the Brannings’ has been found shot while hunting, and his slain deer is gone. Suspicions immediately fall on Mark Green, the son of a convicted murderer. Before he can prove his innocence, vigilantes force the sheriff to arrest him.

Deni Branning is growing closer to Mark, and she sees him as a hero, not a traitor. She and her family set out to find the person who really pulled the trigger. But clearing Mark’s reputation is only part of the battle. Protecting him from the neighbors who ostracized him is just as difficult."

This is book #3 of 4 in Blackstock's Restoration series. I have enjoyed each book in the series, and look forward to reading the final one!

#39/50 Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar
There are three ways up to Castle View from the town of Castle Rock: Route 117, Pleasant Road, and the Suicide Stairs. Every day in the summer of 1974 twelve-year-old Gwendy Peterson has taken the stairs, which are held by strong (if time-rusted) iron bolts and zig-zag up the cliffside.
One day, a stranger calls to Gwendy: "Hey, girl. Come on over here for a bit. We ought to palaver, you and me."
On a bench in the shade sits a man in black jeans, a black coat like for a suit, and a white shirt unbuttoned at the top. On his head is a small neat black hat. The time will come when Gwendy has nightmares about that hat...

Short novella, loved it. Already have the second book in this trilogy.

#40/50 Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky
Christopher is seven years old.
Christopher is the new kid in town.
Christopher has an imaginary friend.

Just short of 1200 pages...(Ok, so it was the large print edition & had several pages with just one word or one sentence, but still...)
The first two-thirds of the book was really great but went downhill after that. By then I was just wishing it would end but already had way too much time & pages invested in it, lol.
All in all it was a good book but I am surely ready for the next novella...

July:
#53/90: The Magnolia Palace by Fiona Davis (3/5) (historical fiction)

Lillian has been at loose ends since her mother died in the Spanish Flu epidemic. Her career of modeling for sculptures has dried up, and she is now wanted by the police. Ending up at the Frick mansion, she takes on the job of secretary to the demanding Helen Frick, heiress to the Frick fortune. Lillian is drawn into the lives of the family, and finds herself in danger.

Almost fifty years later, Veronica comes from Britain for a very important modeling job at the Frick Museum. When she loses that job, she and an intern come across messages that might lead to solving a long-ago mystery.

#54/90: Savage Run (Joe Pickett #2) by C. J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

Joe is called to the scene of a strange crime: an environmental activist, his bride, and cattle have been blown to bits. But Joe feels that the case has been closed too quickly. And why does a man claiming to be the dead environmentalist keep calling Joe’s wife?

#55/90: The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway # 9) by Elly Griffths (4/5) (mystery)

Bones unearthed from an underground tunnel turn out to not to be ancient, and Nelson has a murder to investigate. Judy has taken on the search for a rough sleeper reported missing. They say she has gone underground - but where? Two fellow rough sleepers who were interviewed have been found murdered, and a local mother goes missing. Ruth and Nelson must solve the mystery of the Underground before anyone else goes missing.

#56/90: A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson (3/5) (fiction)

In 1972, Clara’s teenage sister went missing. Her father pretends that all is well, and her mother goes along with it. Clara sits vigil to watch for her sister’s return, and watches the elderly neighbor’s cat while waiting for her to return from the hospital. But before the neighbor return, a mysterious man moves into the house.

#57/90: What Happened to the Bennetts by Lisa Scottoline (3/5) (suspense)

The Bennett family appeared to be the perfect family. But one night all that disappears when an attempted carjacking takes the life of their teenage daughter, and they are thrust into hiding.

#58/90: Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (4.5/5) (science fiction)

Ryland Grace has woken up to find himself as the sole survivor on a ship out in space. As his memory slowly returns, he finds that he is the last hope for humanity to survive on Earth. Will he have to do it on his own?

#59/90: The Terminal List by Jack Carr (4/5) (thriller)

A Navy SEAL has nothing left to live for and everything to kill for after he finds out a government conspiracy resulted in the massacre of his team and the death of his family.

Enjoyed this more than I am enjoying the Amazon show.
What Happened to the Bennetts by Lisa Scottoline..3.5/5
The Bennett family appeared to be the perfect family. But one night all that disappears when an attempted carjacking takes the life of their teenage daughter, and they are thrust into hiding.

It was too hard to believe, my opinion. 57/75

19/30 - The Sacred Bridge by Anne Hillerman

Description:
"Sergeant Jim Chee's vacation to beautiful Antelope Canyon and Lake Powell has a deeper purpose. He's on a quest to unravel a sacred mystery his mentor, the Legendary Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, stumbled across decades earlier.

Chee's journey takes a deadly turn when, after a prayerful visit to the sacred Rainbow Bridge, he spots a body floating in the lake. The dead man, a Navajo with a passion for the canyon's ancient rock art, lived a life filled with many secrets. Discovering why he died and who was responsible involves Chee in an investigation that puts his own life at risk.

Back in Shiprock, Officer Bernadette Manuelito is driving home when she witnesses an expensive sedan purposely kill a hitchhiker. The search to find the killer leads her to uncover a dangerous chain of interconnected revelations involving a Navajo Nation cannabis enterprise.

But the evil that is unleashed jeopardizes her mother and sister Darleen, and puts Bernie in the deadliest situation of her law enforcement career."

This is the 25th novel in the Leaphorn, Chee, and (now) Manuelito series started by Tony Hillerman, and the 7th novel Anne Hillerman has written since she took over the series after her father's death. I really liked the story! There were a few typos in the text that distracted me a bit, but overall, it was another great read.
I just placed a hold on this! I’ve enjoyed this series a lot!

#41/50 Gwendy's Magic Feather by Richard Chizmar
Second in the Gwendy's Button Box trilogy.
Good, but not as good as the first book which was co authored by Stephen King.
Stephen will be back for the third & final book in the series, just put it on hold at my library.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter