Race Photography Questions

Jamian

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole runDisney thing. I am signed up for the 2018 Dopey Challenge and I have a couple questions for the RD experts regarding photography.

First, do you all just use your phones for pictures and video during the races? I'm a bit of a photography snob and I would like to get better quality images than what is possible with a phone, especially since there will be a lot of low light situations. On the other hand though, I don't want to carry anything too large for 48.6 miles. Thoughts?

Also, I know there are Photopass photographers on the courses but are they also at the character stops?

Thanks, Jay

Yes to all.

Photopass is all around and at most, if not all the character stops. The handler will also snap your pic with your cell phone.

I've snapped pictures and video through the courses at random times. It's no problem.

Brian

I bring a small point & shoot, easy to hold or shove in my skort pocket. Photopass does a great job taking photos I think, but sometimes they do get lost. So, if character pics are very important using your own camera/phone too is a good idea. After wine & dine I was missing a post Lumiere photo, they finally found it, but they never found my medal backdrop 10k picture.

Also, sometimes characters do not have a photopass person like said above.

I have seen people haul a DSLR around during races, but that would be way way way too much for me.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole runDisney thing. I am signed up for the 2018 Dopey Challenge and I have a couple questions for the RD experts regarding photography.

First, do you all just use your phones for pictures and video during the races? I'm a bit of a photography snob and I would like to get better quality images than what is possible with a phone, especially since there will be a lot of low light situations. On the other hand though, I don't want to carry anything too large for 48.6 miles. Thoughts?

Also, I know there are Photopass photographers on the courses but are they also at the character stops?

Thanks, Jay

You won't want to carry anything too fancy for sure! Most of the character stops do not have Photopass photographers. Unfortunately. For those using your phone is easiest even though that won't be the quality your wanting. My friend recently purchased an awesome lens for his iPhone. I couldn't believe the quality pictures he was getting!! Maybe look into something like that? The lens pops on and off so you can always secure it in fanny pack to keep safe? Just an idea! Here's one article I was reading because I thought about getting one for my iPhone too.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lenses-for-iphone/

I won't discuss the quality of race photos Photopass photographers took this time around at PHM. You can assume by my sarcasm that I was less than stoked by how most of mine came out. ;) The Photopass photos are super hit or miss. Some of them are fantastic and others are definitely not!

Most of the character stops do not have Photopass photographers. Unfortunately.

This was NOT my experience during all three races at Princess weekend. All but two or three of the character stops I saw had photopass photographers, and also multiple staff coming down the line to take cell phones from runners who wanted photos on their own phones. They were very efficient and ready to shoot both shots when you walked up, handing you your camera as you took off back down the course. So even if a line looks long, they move fast.

There are also general "action" photopass photographers on the course at various spots, and you'll notice their lime green flags and tents as you approach. Everything is done by your bib, so make sure your number is visible to the cameras.

Most of the character stops do not have Photopass photographers.
I don't think this correct at all. Most WILL have a photopass photographer.

At Wine & Dine weekend I stopped at a lot of stops. All but one during the 5k had a photopass and I stopped for every single one, only Terk didn't have one. During the 10k & half I did 3 stops each and they each had one and most when I passed I could see the photopass. Mary Poppins Penguins might not have had one in the half but otherwise most likely they will have one.

They want people to buy memory maker so if they didn't have photographers at these prime stops that would be strange.

This was NOT my experience during all three races at Princess weekend. All but two or three of the character stops I saw had photopass photographers, and also multiple staff coming down the line to take cell phones from runners who wanted photos on their own phones. They were very efficient and ready to shoot both shots when you walked up, handing you your camera as you took off back down the course. So even if a line looks long, they move fast.

There are also general "action" photopass photographers on the course at various spots, and you'll notice their lime green flags and tents as you approach. Everything is done by your bib, so make sure your number is visible to the cameras.

The Expert, some of the character stops I went to HAD photographers but no cameras! Yes, they would take your photo but with your own camera/phone. Jack Sparrow, for example, at around mile 10, I know for sure had no Photopass Photographer equipped WITH a photopass camera. Giving the OP info so they don't expect EVERY character to have the Photopass Memory Maker option....

I borrowed a friend's small point and shoot for 2015 and 2016 Star Wars at Disneyland. For 2017, I used my cell phone. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with how my cell phone handled the photos I have. I would not even consider hauling my DSLR around the race. My neck and shoulders are sore enough after a race. I don't want to add the weight of my camera bag and have to worry about it during the race.

While I'm glad that they incorporated photopass into race photos, most of mine from Light Side 2017 involved me looking at the wrong camera. I would not buy the photopass before if I was doing the race only, but if you're doing memory maker, or have the AP with photos, or have the Disneyland photopass service for park photos, then it's a great thing.

The Expert, some of the character stops I went to HAD photographers but no cameras! Yes, they would take your photo but with your own camera/phone. Jack Sparrow, for example, at around mile 10, I know for sure had no Photopass Photographer equipped WITH a photopass camera. Giving the OP info so they don't expect EVERY character to have the Photopass Memory Maker option....

I wonder if some of them had shifts that only lasted so long? Because I got that same Jack Sparrow photo, but did it at mile 2, and there was a photopass photographer with a photopass camera and several cast members taking cell phone pics for runners. So I got both the pic on Memory Maker and on my phone.

Were those really Photopass photographers using people's phones/cameras or were they the regular Cast Members that babysit the characters and use people's devices, control the line? Seems weird to have a Photopass photographer with no camera, unless theirs broke.

Not sure how long their shifts are but I would assume if they are assigned to a spot they would stay out as long as the character does and would only take a break when the character takes a 'snack' break.

Were those really Photopass photographers using people's phones/cameras or were they the regular Cast Members that babysit the characters and use people's devices, control the line? Seems weird to have a Photopass photographer with no camera, unless theirs broke.

Not sure how long their shifts are but I would assume if they are assigned to a spot they would stay out as long as the character does and would only take a break when the character takes a 'snack' break.

There were both! There was a Photopass photographer with a Photopass camera, and several cast members and volunteers going down the line of waiting runners, taking cell phones and waiting for you to get to the front. When I got into position to pose, the Photopass photographer shot first with his camera, then the CM/volunteer with my phone. I stepped to the side, grabbed my phone from the CM/volunteer and rejoined the race (I started in G). That's the way it worked for all the character stops I did, but they were also all in the first half of the race. When I ran back by (when the course comes out of the park and back toward Epcot), I noticed the pirates had turned to face the runners coming from that direction (since the first half of the course was now clear). But I didn't pay attention to how they were doing photos or whether there was a Photopass photographer there as I had already stopped.

There were both! There was a Photopass photographer with a Photopass camera, and several cast members and volunteers going down the line of waiting runners, taking cell phones and waiting for you to get to the front. When I got into position to pose, the Photopass photographer shot first with his camera, then the CM/volunteer with my phone. I stepped to the side, grabbed my phone from the CM/volunteer and rejoined the race (I started in G). That's the way it worked for all the character stops I did, but they were also all in the first half of the race. When I ran back by (when the course comes out of the park and back toward Epcot), I noticed the pirates had turned to face the runners coming from that direction (since the first half of the course was now clear). But I didn't pay attention to how they were doing photos or whether there was a Photopass photographer there as I had already stopped.
Yeah that's how it usually is. It's just she had said photographers without cameras were there, I don't consider those CMS who use your personal camera a photographer I guess is what I was trying to say. So then I was confused if she meant the Photopass photogapher was using her camera or just the regular CM was.

Yeah that's how it usually is. It's just she had said photographers without cameras were there, I don't consider those CMS who use your personal camera a photographer I guess is what I was trying to say. So then I was confused if she meant the Photopass photogapher was using her camera or just the regular CM was.

I'm not sure either. I know a few of the character stops don't have Photopass photographers at all due to copyright issues (i.e. Mary Poppins) or perhaps staffing, but at those stops I only saw CMs in general costume and volunteers taking photos with people's cell phones and cameras, no people with the Photopass vests or gear at all.

I'm not sure either. I know a few of the character stops don't have Photopass photographers at all due to copyright issues (i.e. Mary Poppins) or perhaps staffing, but at those stops I only saw CMs in general costume and volunteers taking photos with people's cell phones and cameras, no people with the Photopass vests or gear at all.
Yeah I don't quiet get that copyright thing on Mary Poppins or Tarzan I think too as Terk didn't in the Holiday 5k and I've heard on Pooh although he isn't out much at races. Don't they in the parks have a photopass at them?

Yeah I don't quiet get that copyright thing on Mary Poppins or Tarzan I think too as Terk didn't in the Holiday 5k and I've heard on Pooh although he isn't out much at races. Don't they in the parks have a photopass at them?

All those characters are from books that Disney bought film production and associated promotional rights to. They don't own those properties outright, but there are steal creators (or descendants of creators) who do. They paid for the rights to make films based on those books and use of characters in the parks, and visuals related to the promotion of the films. My guess is those contracts limit the publishing of photographs with those characters to promotional purposes for the films and don't cover Photopass, since Photopass is considered "official" photography per Disney. That would explain why personal tourist photos are ok but PP are not.

I had my photo taken with Jack Spartow at that stop WITH a photopass photographer camera (on the way back around mile 9). I did not give them my camera to use.

Last edited:
That's good info thanks for the replies! I think I'll take my point and shoot Sony RX100 and have the iPhone as a backup.

Cheers!

That's good info thanks for the replies! I think I'll take my point and shoot Sony RX100 and have the iPhone as a backup.

Cheers!
Wow, bet you got more than you bargained for.

Getting back to the main concern, point and shoot or a newer phone works great. Photopass photographers are just about everywhere and CMs also are very helpful.

Not to mention fellow runners make wonderful photographers!!

I can't speak for race but photopass is with tigger, pooh in park.

Does the photopass just work off your race bibb? Do they also scan magic bands like normal photo pass spots in the park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter