Questions concerning Dollar Car rental

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, as we are all well aware of, car rental prices are crazy-for our stay July 24-Aug 5th Alamo is running about $1,000. We like Alamo because of skip the counter option. Years ago we also rented from Dollar-they have a Manager's special (they pick the car), pay now price is just over $500.00 I have never did the pay now price, but I really can't see anything come close to that price.
What's your thoughts? Anyone do the managers special? We are 3 adults, but all have a piece of luggage, and a carry on or 2.

Also, does anyone know if you can do skip the counter and go directly to garage with pay now manager's special? Thanks!!

Usually you can't skip the counter on a manager's special because they have to assign you the car based on what they have the most of. It's quite possible you get a 15 passenger van, or you could get a tiny subcompact. Personally I wouldn't do it with three adults and luggage, but I'm also quite tall and don't fit well in tiny cars.

Never rented with Dollar, but with other rental companies you have to belong to their 'club' to skip the line and go directly to your car AND the very first time renting, you still have to go to the counter. They need to verify you have a valid driver's license and input various information to their online system. I would imagine Dollar works the same way.

thanks, the more I think of it, I think I'll pass on it-we like skipping the counter, and then I was reading their fine print about tolls. Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but we bring our NY EZ pass, Dollar sounds like they charge for tolls? I'll keep watching Alamo hoping the price moves a bit. It does make sense if they pick the car you would have to go to the counter, too many variables, thanks everyone!!

I am not a huge fan of using the 3rd party "travel" sites but I like AutoSlash.com. They will find the best price (actually a whole bunch of them) on vehicles- much easier than checking individual car rental sites- and then they'll track your rental and send you notification if they find a better rate. Just be careful about the "second tier" rental agencies (Fox, Ace, etc). The prices are astoundingly better, but the reviews are pretty scary. Stick the the legacy rental companies (Hertz, Alamo, Thrifty, Payless, etc) and you should be OK (unless your flight is stupidly late... they may not have a car for you at the price you reserved, but that's not from using the 3rd party booking, that's because Dollar CAN and WILL do this. We avoid Dollar... 4 hours late, we called them and emailed them and they gave away the car and to get another it was $600 more... we avoid Dollar).

Thanks, we decided we're going to stick with Alamo. We know we can us our NY EZ pass with no issues, go straight to the garage. Last time they let us a choose whatever car we wanted, my husband chose a brand new 2022 truck, he was in heaven lol!
Did the off sight years ago, never again!
Thank you!

I am not a huge fan of using the 3rd party "travel" sites but I like AutoSlash.com. They will find the best price (actually a whole bunch of them) on vehicles- much easier than checking individual car rental sites- and then they'll track your rental and send you notification if they find a better rate. Just be careful about the "second tier" rental agencies (Fox, Ace, etc). The prices are astoundingly better, but the reviews are pretty scary. Stick the the legacy rental companies (Hertz, Alamo, Thrifty, Payless, etc) and you should be OK (unless your flight is stupidly late... they may not have a car for you at the price you reserved, but that's not from using the 3rd party booking, that's because Dollar CAN and WILL do this. We avoid Dollar... 4 hours late, we called them and emailed them and they gave away the car and to get another it was $600 more... we avoid Dollar).
3 time user of autoslash now and never had an issue. But I do admit to avoid the potential issues you mentioned I ALWAYS keep a secondary rental reservation regardless of where I originated it from. I had a big blow up with Alamo in Chicago and it gave me the satisfaction that I knew I could walk away and still have a car.

thanks, the more I think of it, I think I'll pass on it-we like skipping the counter, and then I was reading their fine print about tolls. Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but we bring our NY EZ pass, Dollar sounds like they charge for tolls? I'll keep watching Alamo hoping the price moves a bit. It does make sense if they pick the car you would have to go to the counter, too many variables, thanks everyone!!
If you bring your NY EZ-Pass and the system reads it you'll be just fine. Theoretically even if the system doesn't read it, if you added the rental plate to your account it will default to that before it goes to PlatePass and charges Dollar for the tolls. I used my IL I Pass on a Thrifty rental with no issues last year and used the VTP in January without a problem.

If you book through AutoSlash and the company charges you more than what you reserved for, contact AutoSlash immediately and they will make it right. They will either contact the rental company to fix it, or in extreme cases will pay you the difference.

If you bring your NY EZ-Pass and the system reads it you'll be just fine. Theoretically even if the system doesn't read it, if you added the rental plate to your account it will default to that before it goes to PlatePass and charges Dollar for the tolls. I used my IL I Pass on a Thrifty rental with no issues last year and used the VTP in January without a problem.

If you book through AutoSlash and the company charges you more than what you reserved for, contact AutoSlash immediately and they will make it right. They will either contact the rental company to fix it, or in extreme cases will pay you the difference.
I had no idea I could use my IL I-pass in Florida. We bought a SunPass years ago and have to remember to bring it with us each time (and more importantly - remember to take it out of the car when we get back to the airport).

I had no idea I could use my IL I-pass in Florida. We bought a SunPass years ago and have to remember to bring it with us each time (and more importantly - remember to take it out of the car when we get back to the airport).
I Pass became compatible with EZ-Pass many years ago. On Memorial Day weekend 2021 all toll roads in FL became compatible with EZ-Pass transponders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter