Questions about using a walker at Christmas

cosine4

Mouseketeer
So, currently whenever I am anywhere that requires extra walking (WDW, airport, zoo, etc) I use my cane and it reduces my pain dramatically.

My wife suggested that for our Christmas 2012 trip that I use a walker (the fancy ones with wheels and a seat). This appeals to me as things like pushing a shopping cart help better than my cane. Plus I would have a seat whenever I needed one and a basket, removing the need for my ever so fashionable fanny pack :P

I do have some major reservations about using one though. Is this going to make getting around a Christmas even more difficult? Are they hard to push? How easy is taking it on the buses?

My biggest roadblock is 100% mental. I can't stand the stares I get while using my cane, I expect them to be worse with a walker, "why is that mid-30s man using a walker" etc. Also my dad is going to be with us and I am having a hard time thinking that it won't be a topic of conversation all the time. He has good intentions but thinks that there is some solution that I am just not finding and is always trying to help me find it, even though my mom has the same condition I do and going through the same issues.

Thanks for any answers or advice!!

So, currently whenever I am anywhere that requires extra walking (WDW, airport, zoo, etc) I use my cane and it reduces my pain dramatically.

My wife suggested that for our Christmas 2012 trip that I use a walker (the fancy ones with wheels and a seat). This appeals to me as things like pushing a shopping cart help better than my cane. Plus I would have a seat whenever I needed one and a basket, removing the need for my ever so fashionable fanny pack :P

I do have some major reservations about using one though. Is this going to make getting around a Christmas even more difficult? Are they hard to push? How easy is taking it on the buses?

My biggest roadblock is 100% mental. I can't stand the stares I get while using my cane, I expect them to be worse with a walker, "why is that mid-30s man using a walker" etc. Also my dad is going to be with us and I am having a hard time thinking that it won't be a topic of conversation all the time. He has good intentions but thinks that there is some solution that I am just not finding and is always trying to help me find it, even though my mom has the same condition I do and going through the same issues.

Thanks for any answers or advice!!

Their two options for the buses both easy one is to ask the driver to lower th ramp most likely they will see the walker and do it automatic. I know it depends where you are in loading process at the parks if not at front it might be to full for the driver to very to the back door. So you will have a second option the new buses have no steps to enter and is wide enough to enter with the walker just aka the driver to kneel the bus they can do that at any time during the loading. But then if their no seats and Their might be other guest who also need to sit so the driver can call in another bus if you can't get a seat. But if you travel off peak times you should be okay. At most resorts they have a blue box for wheelchairs you could stand their so the driver will see you. At the resort their no real que like the parks have to it will be easier to get the ramp put down since your have a better chance to get the driver attention. Hope this helps if you have any more bus question I be happy to answer.

My wife suggested that for our Christmas 2012 trip that I use a walker (the fancy ones with wheels and a seat).

It sounds like you're talking about a Rollator. My mom uses one on a daily basis, and they're quite easy to push. Plus, they have nice hand brakes you can even lock into place so the Rollator doesn't roll away if you happen to stop and let go on a hill. And if the basket's not in place, they fold up nicely and easily.

I was at WDW recently with a senior who uses one. I think you would REALLY like it for the trip. One option on buses is to fold it up and store out of the way like people do strollers. Decorate it for Christmas and you may be surprised at the smiles you get! The only place we had trouble was the cobblestones at DTD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter