Question for podcast hosts about "moralistic" issues

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
On the most recent DIS roundtable podcast, the issue came up of getting an ADR for 2 when no ADR's for 2 are available. The answer given was basically that it's OK to say you need an ADR for 3 or 4, and that DIS posters are too "moralistic" on this issue.

I was just wondering if the host(s) think the DIS posters are too "moralistic" about the other hot-button issues which frequently arise, like refillable mugs, pool hopping, etc.? Or is it just this one issue?

On the most recent DIS roundtable podcast, the issue came up of getting an ADR for 2 when no ADR's for 2 are available. The answer given was basically that it's OK to say you need an ADR for 3 or 4, and that DIS posters are too "moralistic" on this issue.

I was just wondering if the host(s) think the DIS posters are too "moralistic" about the other hot-button issues which frequently arise, like refillable mugs, pool hopping, etc.? Or is it just this one issue?

The Roundtable has mentioned on other podcast about those issues as well.......since I am not sure which side of the fence that you are on I will Tread Softly as not to be hunted down by the PC people.........Pool Hopping....they have said (and someone correct on any of these if I am wrong)....that pool hopping is not allowed but have an opinion that if you are staying in a Deluxe Hotel and a pool is not packed with people from that hotel you should be given that option......they are saying that they should be able pool hop when ever they want but feel because of how much you are paying to stay in a Deluxe Hotel it could be an added benefit to those who stay there....they have never stated that someone staying in ALL-Stars ...like myself .....should be able to poolhop outside of what is allowed between the other All Star resorts.....which I am totally in agreement with...Refillable Mugs.....Pete gets a little sensitive on this issue and so do the rest of the Round Table......to Quote Pete...'ITS SODA PEOPLE".....I think that should cover that one......I know they mentioned other but those are the two which stand out.

Well here's what I think -- the people that appear to be the most "moral" on these boards are probably the worst offenders! It's really easy to be a saint in cyberspace...but not so easy in real life. Internet chat rooms and discussion forums allow people to create whatever personality they want (ie: the shy guy is an extrovert, the pleasingly plump woman is svelt, etc) that's why I try to take everything and everyone with a grain of salt and sometime's wonder who it really is that I'm responding to on various threads. Now I'm not saying this applies to everybody and I'm certainly not trying to single anyone out -- these are just my personal thoughts.

If you want to know the roundtables thoughts on these issues just go back and listen to past podcasts. We're certainly not shy about stating our opinions :rolleyes1

John

I feel a need to chime in, but not sure how to express my thoughts thoroughly...

The purpose of boards like this, is to exchange experiences and ideas... to aid in planning, what for some is the vacation of a life time. So I read, and learn... then plan accordingly. Last year when I returned from my trip, I shared my experience, and how I would do things differently, in order to make my next trip more pleasurable. Well the morality police take things to extreme, mis understand, or are out right determined to blow you out of the water for small details like having a ADR for 3 when you are really a party of 2 to get a resie at a time better suited to your plans. After all they never had this happen to them, therefore those that it has happened to are lying, cheating on their taxes, taking candy from babies, and are the cause of global warming.

Some people are natural born tattle tales. They not only can't keep a secret, but they thrive on trying to rain on others that make adjustments to better suit their needs. WDW is doing just fine, and can make what ever rules they wish, they can choose to enforce, or not. But their motive is always the same. Profit. As a shareholder I am thrilled with this.

The free soda fountain is not a moral issue. Who cares. Disney gets the syrup for free. If it were a problem to profit and loss, they would put measures in place to curb shrink. Pool hopping was great back in the day. In the 70's and most of the 80's it was great to spend an afternoon at CR or poly pool. But now that the crowds are so large, ya got to have a rule to keep from overcrowding. I mean I would hit Storm along bay every day, but I prefer to stay at CR. Oh well. It is issues like these and other petty gripes that the tattle tales (morality police) thrive on. They are not going to change my view that pool hopping was great, but no doubt enough people abused it to close the loop hole.

The DDP has its pluses and its minuses. I think that the included 18% tip is a large part of the decline in the level of service. Disney must think so as well, as it looks like the change is pretty much a done deal. I mean I could be wrong, it happens, just in this case I am not. Once the customer is back in charge of the tip, the servers are going to have to work every table on DDP for the tip. I have heard over and over again, that the servers all work as hard as then can every day, and the refrain of “when I was a server, I worked as hard as I could everyday for every table for the satisfaction of a job well done”. Well good for you, but you are either lying to your self, or lying to others, or just delusional. Feel free to disagree, feel free to tip for lousy service… but that change in the “rules” is for the better and will improve service. Cause that is how the world works, and this change will not contribute to global warming in the slightest.

I hope that rant kinda makes sense.

I feel a need to chime in, but not sure how to express my thoughts thoroughly...

The purpose of boards like this, is to exchange experiences and ideas... to aid in planning, what for some is the vacation of a life time. So I read, and learn... then plan accordingly. Last year when I returned from my trip, I shared my experience, and how I would do things differently, in order to make my next trip more pleasurable. Well the morality police take things to extreme, mis understand, or are out right determined to blow you out of the water for small details like having a ADR for 3 when you are really a party of 2 to get a resie at a time better suited to your plans. After all they never had this happen to them, therefore those that it has happened to are lying, cheating on their taxes, taking candy from babies, and are the cause of global warming.

Some people are natural born tattle tales. They not only can't keep a secret, but they thrive on trying to rain on others that make adjustments to better suit their needs. WDW is doing just fine, and can make what ever rules they wish, they can choose to enforce, or not. But their motive is always the same. Profit. As a shareholder I am thrilled with this.

The free soda fountain is not a moral issue. Who cares. Disney gets the syrup for free. If it were a problem to profit and loss, they would put measures in place to curb shrink. Pool hopping was great back in the day. In the 70's and most of the 80's it was great to spend an afternoon at CR or poly pool. But now that the crowds are so large, ya got to have a rule to keep from overcrowding. I mean I would hit Storm along bay every day, but I prefer to stay at CR. Oh well. It is issues like these and other petty gripes that the tattle tales (morality police) thrive on. They are not going to change my view that pool hopping was great, but no doubt enough people abused it to close the loop hole.

The DDP has its pluses and its minuses. I think that the included 18% tip is a large part of the decline in the level of service. Disney must think so as well, as it looks like the change is pretty much a done deal. I mean I could be wrong, it happens, just in this case I am not. Once the customer is back in charge of the tip, the servers are going to have to work every table on DDP for the tip. I have heard over and over again, that the servers all work as hard as then can every day, and the refrain of “when I was a server, I worked as hard as I could everyday for every table for the satisfaction of a job well done”. Well good for you, but you are either lying to your self, or lying to others, or just delusional. Feel free to disagree, feel free to tip for lousy service… but that change in the “rules” is for the better and will improve service. Cause that is how the world works, and this change will not contribute to global warming in the slightest.

I hope that rant kinda makes sense.

Sounds like you did a great job throughly expressing your thoughts. :thumbsup2

I have always wondered why some people feel it necessary to defend Disney.
Disney is big enough to defend themselves and they do a great job of it. :)

You did a fine job...understood exactly what you meant and agree with it all.

Some people are natural born tattle tales. They not only can't keep a secret, but they thrive on trying to rain on others that make adjustments to better suit their needs.

The free soda fountain is not a moral issue. Who cares. Disney gets the syrup for free.

I have to disagree.

There are rules for a reason. It's the amoral police who think they can pick and choose which ones they want to follow.

Don't put people down or call them names or demean them just because they follow the rules. What if each one of us choose which rules and which laws to follow on our own? There would be anarchy. I don't think it's unreasonable for everyone to follow the rules that are set out. If you don't like them, don't come.

And, since when did the cost (instead of the value) of the item become the deciding point of whether something is stealing or not? Disney does NOT get the syrup for free. Even if there is no monetary transfer of funds, there IS a monetary value. Coke trades exclusivity and advertising for this "free" syrup. It's stealing.

If you "won" a car, and I took it, according to your definition... who cares? You didn't pay for it.

*I* care. And if you want to call me a "tattle tale" or "moral police" or make fun of me for following the rules (and expecting everyone else to play by the SAME rules), go for it.

I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. Nor do I feel that I'm so special that the rules don't apply to me. YMMV.

I think the problem is with the fact that whenever this topic comes up, the hyperbole starts and we start equating using a mug that you have paid for at a different location to felony grand theft auto.

Thats like equating the use of Raid on an ant hiill to the Columbine massaccre.

I also think that we have to take into account that the folks who own the soda have put people in place (Cast Members) that tell some that it's ok to use your mug anywhere you choose.

Again...it would be different if the mug users were coming into your hotel room and taking your soda, but that's not the case.

If this was important to Disney, they would stop it and teach their employees to stop it. That seems to not be the case. You dont see Cast Members handing out $100 Mickey Mouse watches to guests. They must see the difference and be able to make that judgement call.

So...to go back to the commonly used "car theft" analogy....is it stealing if the person who "owns the car" (or their representative) gives you permission to drive the car?

Kevin

The day I take time out of my vacation to go tattle on a grown-up for filling a mug is the day I'd like to be whomped over the head with that mug.

And, Ray, I have no problem with people following the rules. I don't use the mugs, so I'm following them. It is the ones who post dictionary definitions of "theft" and "robbery" and follow that up with telling people they are bad parents and going to hell that kind of get me.

They join the Self-Appointed WDW Refillable Mug Police squad and act like this makes some kind of difference. If the Refillers don't care and Disney doesn't care, why do the SAWRMPs????? I just don't get it. It isn't the crime of the century, you know?

If someone steals your car and you are perfectly fine with that, I won't be upset about it on your behalf.

I have to disagree.

What if each one of us choose which rules and which laws to follow on our own? There would be anarchy. I don't think it's unreasonable for everyone to follow the rules that are set out. If you don't like them, don't come.

Rules do not equal Laws. Moral Relativity works. Ambiguity Evolves.

Which rules and laws are right, and which are wrong? Is the world still flat? Can I beat my wife with a stick no bigger then my thumb? Is slavery common? Do we pay a tax on imported tea to the Queen of England? Is taking a loaf of bread to feed your starving child theft or survival? Much of human history is littered with people afraid to question and afraid to change. Just because you read it in Leviticus does not make it true.

Explore the things that make us different. Otherwise, life is too short to worry about the small stuff. Don’t sweat the petty things, and don’t pet the sweaty things.

Which rules and laws are right, and which are wrong? Is the world still flat? Can I beat my wife with a stick no bigger then my thumb? Is slavery common? Do we pay a tax on imported tea to the Queen of England? Is taking a loaf of bread to feed your starving child theft or survival? Much of human history is littered with people afraid to question and afraid to change. Just because you read it in Leviticus does not make it true.

Explore the things that make us different. Otherwise, life is too short to worry about the small stuff. Don’t sweat the petty things, and don’t pet the sweaty things.

This is one of the most bizarre posts I have read in a while, and that is saying alot for the disboards....but then again what do you expect with a thread about that is is discussing all the hot button moralistic issues on this board in general :lmao:

:rotfl2: I don't know if this was supposed to make me :rotfl: , but it did....

snitchin.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter