Question About Issue After Closing - Who to Contact

Cfrone

Earning My Ears
So we recently purchased a small add-on resale contract to our existing membership. Everything went smooth and the add-on contract was recently added to our existing membership. However, upon the points being loaded into our account, there's some discrepancy as to how the points were allocated. Basically, without getting into the weeds, we received the total number points that we were expecting but they were spread across the wrong use years. Not a huge deal but certainly an inconvenience because it will impact how we can use the points in the short-term.

That being said, I reached out to both the title company and the resale broker for assistance but after two emails I haven't received a response from either. So I guess my question is, who is ultimately "responsible" for the error - the resale broker? title company? DVC??? I'm assuming the title company is probably who I need to connect with regarding potential compensation for the error but can anyone confirm the best place to start?

Thanks!

I'd start by emailing member administration. Then, when they don't respond, use chat and ask. First, you need to make sure Disney didn't allocate them incorrectly. Mistakes do happen.

I'd reach out to the title company and ask them to review the estoppel with you. It should detail the status of points. That will tell you if Member Services messed up when they loaded it, or if it was advertised incorrectly. The title company shouldn't have closed if the estoppel didn't match the contract.

There was another post a day or two ago from someone who had a different amount of points loaded although they actually didn't have them all loaded. Maybe DVC is slipping.

The other piece to find out is there was something done by the seller after the status of points was stated.

Last year, when I was selling one of my contracts, I accidentally booked something on it because I had forgotten to change the membership I was using on the website...I had 3 back then.

As soon as I realized it, I canceled but the problem was it was for a trip within 31 days and of course, the points were now in holding.

I freaked and contacted MS and explained the situation and the luckily removed it.

So, I wonder if the sellers did something by mistake, and didn’t try to fix it?

Regardless, the points should be as stated in the contract signed and many have a remedy as to what you are entitled to

Thanks all; appreciate the feedback; sounds like I have some homework to do to figure what's going on. Thankfully, it isnt a major issue for us but frustrating nonetheless.

Thanks all; appreciate the feedback; sounds like I have some homework to do to figure what's going on. Thankfully, it isnt a major issue for us but frustrating nonetheless.
This exact same scenario just happened to me. Trying to sort it out now with the closing agent, broker, etc.
Can you please tell me how your situation was resolved? Thanks.

This exact same scenario just happened to me. Trying to sort it out now with the closing agent, broker, etc.
Can you please tell me how your situation was resolved? Thanks.
We ended up casting a pretty wide net, reaching out to the broker and the title company as well as DVC Member Administration (to make sure there wasn't an error by DVC when loading the points). Turns out, the seller banked the 2020 points into 2021 before the contract was listed with the broker but the discrepancy was never identified by the broker nor title company.

So I guess my suggestion would be to reach out to the broker, title company, and DVC Member Admin to try to figure out what may have happened.

In terms of the resolution, since our discrepancy was relatively minor, we did not make a big deal out of it and simply asked the broker to refund their admin fee since at the end of the day they listed the details of the contract inaccurately (the points were banked before the contract was listed according to the info we received from DVC). That being said, depending on the nature of your error, check your contract...it may specify exactly what you might be entitled to due to the error.

We ended up casting a pretty wide net, reaching out to the broker and the title company as well as DVC Member Administration (to make sure there wasn't an error by DVC when loading the points). Turns out, the seller banked the 2020 points into 2021 before the contract was listed with the broker but the discrepancy was never identified by the broker nor title company.

So I guess my suggestion would be to reach out to the broker, title company, and DVC Member Admin to try to figure out what may have happened.

In terms of the resolution, since our discrepancy was relatively minor, we did not make a big deal out of it and simply asked the broker to refund their admin fee since at the end of the day they listed the details of the contract inaccurately (the points were banked before the contract was listed according to the info we received from DVC). That being said, depending on the nature of your error, check your contract...it may specify exactly what you might be entitled to due to the error.

It appears that Disney's transfer/estoppel fee is now $150.00. A fee for complete failure. I know that Fidelity refunded their fee to you and the seller almost always ends up paying the estoppel fee but I'd still be writing to DVC about this fee collection when not doing their duty.

Thank you so much for the info.. The problem for me is that for me it will mean losing an entire year's worth of points if it isn't resolved so I am hoping for the best. I definitely will be casting a wide net!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter