Question about check-in with free disney dining plan

JimMIA said:
Thanks Linda. I guess maybe 2,000 room checkins doesn't sound too far-fetched then.
I hope it is not 2000 rooms cause things don't look good with my math.
Say it takes 10 minutes to checkin 1 room, that means 1 CM can do 6 an hour, thats 144 if you go all 24 hours of the 13th. That means it would take 14+ CM's checking people in round the clock to accomidate 2000 check ins. Now I realize not all check ins take 10 minutes some may only take 5 but many will take 15-20 especially if they need any explantion of anything. Also the people will not be evenly spaced in their checking in, they will be clumped mostly in the 8AM to 10pm time. I do not know if I have ever seen more than about 15 CMs checking in guests at a time. :confused3 Also if all guests must be present--that is a whole lot of people in the lobby :rotfl2:
Hopefully they mean 2000 guests and not rooms.

About the 2000 check-ins, could that include guests already at Pop who will be checking out and re-checking in to recieve the free dining? I know that on a few visits we had do do the check-out/check-in thing to switch to a new (lower) rate that wasn't availalble for our first few days.

jsmla said:
About the 2000 check-ins, could that include guests already at Pop who will be checking out and re-checking in to recieve the free dining? I know that on a few visits we had do do the check-out/check-in thing to switch to a new (lower) rate that wasn't availalble for our first few days.
Good thought, I bet everybody would do that. I know I would.

Just to be backwards, I may have the opposite problem. We are traveling in a few weeks, myself, DH and 2 DSs in 1 room and my niece and mother in another room on a separate reservation. But, my niece will be arriving early with us and my mother wont be checking in until about 3 hours later. I'm worried they will check who is in our party and question why we have 5 people, 1 who isnt on our package. Maybe I can hide her in the car....or pretend we don't know her. :rotfl:

JimMIA said:
Well, I suspect that with FREE DDP, they're trying to eliminate ALL ghosts!

I heard this morning that POP has 2,000 free DDP checkins on Sunday, so it should be an interesting day! That number seems high to me, but that's what I was told.

Wow! Although I'm missing WDW these days, reading this I'm not so sorry that my seasonal pass isn't good yet. I have to add Free Dining season to summer, Christmas and Spring break as times to avoid. Yikes!

bicker said:
They'll remove the extra members of the party from the Dining Plan -- you'll have that many fewer credits to use.

Then I guess we'll have to share! I mean we'd still have 3 TS meals but only 7 TS credits for 3 of us! Guess DS wouldnt NEED to get an appetizer and I wouldnt NEED to get dessert, DS could then order off the childrens menu if he likes that menu better. Three TS meals from Sat to Sun night is a bit much anyways. And DS wouldnt NEED to go to Boma's dinner if he chose not to.

newholidayx2 said:
so if the rest of your party doesnt show up for another two days what are they going to do? have you spend 2 nights sleeping in the lobby? I mean they do already have the $2400!

Most likely nothing, talk to the manager, explain the situation, have some documentation, and good customer service will prevail.

bstnsprts said:
Most likely nothing, talk to the manager, explain the situation, have some documentation, and good customer service will prevail.

Time will tell.
I truly hope you are correct about this.

PoohHappens said:
I hope it is not 2000 rooms cause things don't look good with my math.
Say it takes 10 minutes to checkin 1 room, that means 1 CM can do 6 an hour, thats 144 if you go all 24 hours of the 13th. That means it would take 14+ CM's checking people in round the clock to accomidate 2000 check ins. Now I realize not all check ins take 10 minutes some may only take 5 but many will take 15-20 especially if they need any explantion of anything. Also the people will not be evenly spaced in their checking in, they will be clumped mostly in the 8AM to 10pm time. I do not know if I have ever seen more than about 15 CMs checking in guests at a time. :confused3 Also if all guests must be present--that is a whole lot of people in the lobby :rotfl2:
Hopefully they mean 2000 guests and not rooms.

It is 2000 rooms, and even if they are guest checking out and checking back in, it will still take time to do that. They have had to schedule extra ME buses and work out the system with the airport to even get the buses in and out.

I have a friend who works at POP...was with the Front Desk but now works with ME. We were just there last month and went to visit her. I know that there was a Sun or Mon. that she said they were going to have 1,000 check-ins so it was going to be crazy. She wasn't looking forward to it...so I can imagine how much of a cluster 2,000 would be. WOW. I think I'll email her about it...I'm curious. Also, there was a thread awhile back where someone else was concerned because they were going to have another family member checking in later in the day(during Free Dining). I asked my friend about this and she said that normally they don't WANT the whole family hanging around during check-in because it gets way too crowded at the front desk.. She wasn't sure about the Free Dining thing though, as she didn't work there last year during this.

I have a question for you all....it's a little OT...but similar....lol

We are actually arriving in Orlando on Sunday. Staying at the airport hotel for the night.

We've gone back and forth about whether or not to get up and head right over to POR to check in, or to wait until later in the evening. (Heading to Universal for the day)

Looks like we should probabally get there early???

Thanks!

I would go early. If your room isn't ready they will give you your room keys but give you a phone number to call to find out your room number when ready. Then after your day at US you can go right to your room without waiting to checkin. I think you are also more likely to get any room requests met if you checkin early.

lovesdumbo said:
I would go early. If your room isn't ready they will give you your room keys but give you a phone number to call to find out your room number when ready. Then after your day at US you can go right to your room without waiting to checkin. I think you are also more likely to get any room requests met if you checkin early.
More importantly, if you get there early in the morning, you'll get there before the endless caravan of DME buses shows up!

Thanks!!

That's what I was leaning towards, but I didn't know if it would change my car rental rate.....I rebooked my car, we can now pick it up at 8a.m.. We'll be heading right over after that!!!

Oh crap and I thought I might pawn my kids off on someone else and have a nice free dining trip with all the TS credits I can stand.

( ;) j/k it's just me and my kids so they will most definitely be with me :rotfl: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter