Queen Elizabeth funeral and looking forward

Maybe don’t put on a 10-day public spectacle if you don’t want anyone to have evidence that it happened. :rolleyes2 Talk about creating unnecessary controversy…

Sure do agree with you here. Once they decided to let the cameras in...game over. I can't believe they'd even attempt to put this genie back in the bottle. It almost feels like fake news, it's just so impossible.

From today:

Can Prince Harry's memoirs be stopped? Palace aides discuss whether they can block the Duke's book​

Palace aides have been discussing ways to stop Prince Harry publishing his memoirs.
There is said to be deep concern that the book will contain damaging revelations despite suggestions that he is seeking to tone it down.

It is part of a presidential- style strategy launched by aides that will focus on the crucial first 100 days of the reign.
A friend of the King said: ‘The question inside the Palace is: “Can the book be stopped?” It may be that even Harry can’t stop it at this stage but the feeling at the very top is that there’s no good that can come of airing grievances in public.’

Lawyers to the Royal Family at the firm Harbottle and Lewis are expected to be on standby to read the book when it comes out.

But it is highly unlikely the King would wage a legal battle against Harry, whose £36 million deal with Penguin Random House may mean he is unable to stop it. It comes at an important time in the King’s reign.

A Palace source said: ‘His Majesty will build on the points he has expressed to the nation: now that the period of mourning is over, he will support diversity, promote community spirit and protect the space for those with faith and those without.

‘He is mindful that, as King, his interests and passions will continue but that… some of his previous commitments will now continue in the trusted hands of others.’

1664665023178.jpeg

Buckingham Palace released a new portrait of the King last night to mark the start of his reign, after the Royal Family’s period of mourning for the Queen ended.

In a clear sign that the sovereignty of King Charles will be both less formal and more closely centred on the four most senior members of the family, the new monarch is seen looking relaxed with his hand in his pocket and his arm around his wife Camilla, the Queen Consort.

Beside them are William and Kate, who also look assured but unstuffy as they contemplate their new roles as the Prince and Princess of Wales.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...les-reign-centred-senior-royals.html#comments

Slightly off topic... just saw an add for a kindle book on sale - Lady In Waiting by Princess Margaret's friend and lady in waiting. Her story looks interesting and it says there are glimpses in to how the royals live.

I think it's a one-day sale, for anyone interested:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V1LR...7d-4f1e-9117-cac1e854b53d&pf_rd_i=11552285011
A while ago I listened to (part of) Angela Kelly's book; she was the Queen's dresser and very close friend for many years. It was a total snooze. Kelly treated her loyalty and confidentiality towards Elizabeth II extremely seriously and as a result, there was really nothing interesting to say. :laughing:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48616859-the-other-side-of-the-coin

A while ago I listened to (part of) Angela Kelly's book; she was the Queen's dresser and very close friend for many years. It was a total snooze. Kelly treated her loyalty and confidentiality towards Elizabeth II extremely seriously and as a result, there was really nothing interesting to say. :laughing:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48616859-the-other-side-of-the-coin
Unless you like sewing and millinery. Kelly (who Charles intensely dislikes, BTW) grew up near the Liverpool docks with a mother who was a seamstress, and she worked in garment factories when she was young. In the Queen's later years Kelly did an amazing job fitting those coats around the hump that QEII developed; let me tell you that is no small challenge.

Charles hates the books, he feels the photos in them were much too informal. He's also rather peeved that QEII gave Kelly a grace-and-favor life-lease on a small cottage near the Windsor golf course. Kelly obviously adored the Queen, and I don't expect any salacious tell-alls from her; she'll talk a whole lot about things that were never confidential, but won't dish any dirt.

Unless you like sewing and millinery. Kelly (who Charles intensely dislikes, BTW) grew up near the Liverpool docks with a mother who was a seamstress, and she worked in garment factories when she was young. In the Queen's later years Kelly did an amazing job fitting those coats around the hump that QEII developed; let me tell you that is no small challenge.

Charles hates the books, he feels the photos in them were much too informal. He's also rather peeved that QEII gave Kelly a grace-and-favor life-lease on a small cottage near the Windsor golf course. Kelly obviously adored the Queen, and I don't expect any salacious tell-alls from her; she'll talk a whole lot about things that were never confidential, but won't dish any dirt.
Yes, by all we can tell, she is a woman of great integrity towards the confidentiality of her role, motivated by love. It's sweet to think of the Queen having had such a devoted friend; we could all be so lucky. But alas, it didn't make for a very interesting book. :goodvibes

From today:

Can Prince Harry's memoirs be stopped? Palace aides discuss whether they can block the Duke's book​

Palace aides have been discussing ways to stop Prince Harry publishing his memoirs.
There is said to be deep concern that the book will contain damaging revelations despite suggestions that he is seeking to tone it down.

It is part of a presidential- style strategy launched by aides that will focus on the crucial first 100 days of the reign.
A friend of the King said: ‘The question inside the Palace is: “Can the book be stopped?” It may be that even Harry can’t stop it at this stage but the feeling at the very top is that there’s no good that can come of airing grievances in public.’

Lawyers to the Royal Family at the firm Harbottle and Lewis are expected to be on standby to read the book when it comes out.

But it is highly unlikely the King would wage a legal battle against Harry, whose £36 million deal with Penguin Random House may mean he is unable to stop it. It comes at an important time in the King’s reign.

A Palace source said: ‘His Majesty will build on the points he has expressed to the nation: now that the period of mourning is over, he will support diversity, promote community spirit and protect the space for those with faith and those without.

‘He is mindful that, as King, his interests and passions will continue but that… some of his previous commitments will now continue in the trusted hands of others.’

View attachment 707192

Buckingham Palace released a new portrait of the King last night to mark the start of his reign, after the Royal Family’s period of mourning for the Queen ended.

In a clear sign that the sovereignty of King Charles will be both less formal and more closely centred on the four most senior members of the family, the new monarch is seen looking relaxed with his hand in his pocket and his arm around his wife Camilla, the Queen Consort.

Beside them are William and Kate, who also look assured but unstuffy as they contemplate their new roles as the Prince and Princess of Wales.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...les-reign-centred-senior-royals.html#comments

I love that photo. Actually I love all four of them. Granted, Charles and Camilla were a bit of soap opera to get their happy ending. William and Kate are just perfection. He really hit the jackpot in finding her. Then again, she didn't do so badly either :love:

I love that photo. Actually I love all four of them. Granted, Charles and Camilla were a bit of soap opera to get their happy ending. William and Kate are just perfection. He really hit the jackpot in finding her. Then again, she didn't do so badly either :love:
You know, in my earlier years I was squarely a Diana fan but in recent years, I have really come to adore Camilla. I think Diana was handed a rotten hand of cards but she also played them horribly. She and Charles were horribly unsuited for each other and it was never going to work. Yes, of course, Charles cheated and that is not ok. But she was not exactly blameless in the marriage either.

She was set up to fail from the beginning but she could have done things so differently. There are some very interesting documentaries on the topic that give insights I never realized before. Diana was extremely young and niave when they were engaged and married. But by the time she tragically passed away (younger than I am now, yikes) she was a full grown, extremely sophisticated woman and there was really no excuse for some of the things she pulled.

I really am very happy that Charles found a woman he is better suited for and I reallly do enjoy watching Camilla's activities as Duchess and now Queen. I think she will do quite well in her new role.

I read a story several years ago saying Kate had decided on a different university (I don't remember which) and her mother said "no, you're going to St Andrews because that's where Prince William is going." Thanks, mom.

That has to be about the best example of motherly intuition around.

I like the photo of the four of them also. Although, I didn’t realize that William and Catherine were so tall, or maybe it’s the Charles and Camilla are so short.

I like the photo of the four of them also. Although, I didn’t realize that William and Catherine were so tall, or maybe it’s the Charles and Camilla are so short.

Well now you got me wondering on that lol...

Apparently Prince William is 6'3" ! Wowza I never realized he was that tall. Charles is 5'10" .
Kate is 5'9" and Camilla is 5'8". I guess Kate looks taller because she tends to wear killer heels lol.
The article also said Prince Harry is 6'2", Meghan Markle 5'6"
Queen Elizabeth was 5'4" and Prince Phillip 6'0".
Most surprising to me in going down this rabbit hole is that Queen Victoria was only 5'0" tall!

Well now you got me wondering on that lol...

Apparently Prince William is 6'3" ! Wowza I never realized he was that tall. Charles is 5'10" .
Kate is 5'9" and Camilla is 5'8". I guess Kate looks taller because she tends to wear killer heels lol.
The article also said Prince Harry is 6'2", Meghan Markle 5'6"
Queen Elizabeth was 5'4" and Prince Phillip 6'0".
Most surprising to me in going down this rabbit hole is that Queen Victoria was only 5'0" tall!
Those of us a little older are all shrinking. I know I am!

I used to be taller than my DD, now she is a little taller than me! Shocking seeing pictures!

Many really older people have curvatures of their spine that cause them to seem quite a bit shorter as they age.

I would be surprised if The Queen remained 5’4” in her later years.

1664899493516.jpeg

1664899816152.jpeg

1664899991805.jpeg

Those of us a little older are all shrinking. I know I am!

I used to be taller than my DD, now she is a little taller than me! Shocking seeing pictures!

Many really older people have curvatures of their spine that cause them to seem quite a bit shorter as they age.

I would be surprised if The Queen remained 5’4” in her later years.

View attachment 708071

View attachment 708072

View attachment 708073
Shrinkage in height is even more drastic with spinal fractures.

I read a story several years ago saying Kate had decided on a different university (I don't remember which) and her mother said "no, you're going to St Andrews because that's where Prince William is going." Thanks, mom.

That has to be about the best example of motherly intuition around.
Her mother sent her there with the goal of landing a prince? Ick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter