Purchasing DVC for Disneyland mostly?

You've already been giving great advice, but I wanted to add more of the same. I recently purchased a small Poly contract - for WDW, but I am 90 minutes away from Disneyland and visit there much more frequently. I have been able to pick up a couple random nights here and there for VGC, but never consecutive nights in the 7 month or less range. The point per night is also pretty high compared to other DVC resorts. If you feel confident that you can make plans and not need to cancel, renting is a good way to go.

You may be interested in the new DLH tower when that goes on sale, but it might be a further walk than the Howard Johnson and I know you thought that was a pain to deal with.

If a kitchen is the main thing you want, there are some kitchen properties that have shuttles (Hampton Inn and Suites, Homewood Suites). Not sure but Park Vue and Desert Inn which are across the street from the harbor entrance might have a kitchen room.

I'm just wondering if it really makes sense to purchase right now if we would only be travelling to VGC.
For me, VGC is a niche product. As many others have said, there are a *lot* of options that are within walking distance that are perfectly fine, have kitchens, etc. That's not to say that you can't find value there--and many people do. But, it's a significant extra expense to avoid what might be an extra 10-15 minutes' walk each way, or maybe a short shuttle ride.

We are probably a Disneyland ever 2 years type of family.
This is right on the border. Any less often, and it definitely does not make sense to own DVC, IMO.

some of the areas off Harbor Street (where several of the hotels are located) can be sketchy.
I suppose sketchy is in the eye of the beholder, because I never had that impression. Then again, I lived in on the west side of Shattuck in N. Oakland for a year when I was at Cal.

Nice, I live in Tempe, but from NY originally. We tend to travel to CA as its just so easy, drive or fly.. I've never stayed on property at DL but ill do it once before considering purchasing. No rush, so ill wait to see what DLT is like. Thanks for all the advice / opinions everyone.

That's a good plan - try to stay at the Disneyland Hotel once before you make a decision. The hotel will be a bit different from DVC but it will give you a good idea overall (especially with regard to the location and the walk from the hotel to/from the parks like @PirateBrigade pointed out). Also, you can try to rent points but it's very difficult to do so. I tried to rent several times before become a DVC member and there was never availability. That's one of the reasons we decided to become members ourselves. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

For me, VGC is a niche product. As many others have said, there are a *lot* of options that are within walking distance that are perfectly fine, have kitchens, etc. That's not to say that you can't find value there--and many people do. But, it's a significant extra expense to avoid what might be an extra 10-15 minutes' walk each way, or maybe a short shuttle ride.

This is right on the border. Any less often, and it definitely does not make sense to own DVC, IMO.

I suppose sketchy is in the eye of the beholder, because I never had that impression. Then again, I lived in on the west side of Shattuck in N. Oakland for a year when I was at Cal.

It definitely can be a matter of perspective. My sister used to live on the outskirts of Oakland and I would take the BART to travel to her house. I was once accosted by someone on the BART and I'll never forget it. I also backpacked through Europe, studied in London, and stayed at some pretty bad hostels throughout my travels. Hotels off Harbor aren't at that level, for sure, and it wasn't my intent to portray it as though it was. But for me, I've definitely felt uneasy traveling back to some of the hotels off Harbor late at night, especially the hotels that are 15-20 minutes away. Now, that could be alleviated by taking an Uber/Lyft back to the hotel so that's another option.

If you LOVE VGC and can afford it, buy VGC. If you're not sure, rent points, go there, and try it. If you are willing to wait, I know many current DVC owners are anxiously waiting to see the intro pricing to DLT.

If you found the HoJo walk a problem, the DLT walk isn't going to be shorter.

VGC is, but you will pay for it, richly.

If you found the HoJo walk a problem, the DLT walk isn't going to be shorter.

VGC is, but you will pay for it, richly.

My issue with HoJo wasn’t actual distance per se, but the number of driveways you had to maneuver along the east sidewalk of Harbor.

The west sidewalk of Harbor isn’t very wide, and I was always uncomfortable with how close I was to speeding Harbor traffic.

Moderate number of homeless along Harbor as well, but I never had any issues with them.

I wonder how much a guaranteed Christmas week will be at the New Disneyland DVC hotel . I may be interested in that.

Let’s guesstimate. VGC requires 224 points for one week at Christmas.

If it sells for $320/pt, with a 10% guaranteed week premium, hypothetically it would cost $78,848 before incentives.
No Way are they getting 320 a point for the DL tower. Im thinking 200 a point and 200 points for the week as its not going to command as many points as VGC . So Maybe around 44K. I'm in at that price !!!

I believe the price per point will be the same as the other active resorts at the time (so probably $210-$220 by the time they start selling them). They WILL, however, jack up the point chart to get the ROI that they want.

Let’s guesstimate. VGC requires 224 points for one week at Christmas.

If it sells for $320/pt, with a 10% guaranteed week premium, hypothetically it would cost $78,848 before incentives.

I'll play. The chart is going to do the work, like it did at Riviera.

EDIT: We are doing studios! VGF studio preferred Week 51 is 193, VGC 223. Let's go DL tower 257, $300/point. 10% fixed week premium That puts it at $77,100, $84,810 with FW premium. And Week 51 doesn't even always have Christmas!

Last edited:
I'll play. The chart is going to do the work, like it did at Riviera.

1BR preferred view VGF is 304 week 51. Let's give DL Tower 1BR 325, 300$/point. 10% fixed week premium That puts it at 97,500, $107,250 with FW premium.
I thought they were only making studios

There’s a thread here with the floorplan. It has mostly studios, but a little of everything.

Getting DVC rooms at GC is nearly impossible at 7 months. Either buy resale there or wait for the new tower.

I'll weigh in.
We stayed off site for years when the kids were little. Nothing wrong with it, and it was much less expensive.
Along the way we bought in to VGC and honestly, it is awesome. When the kids were teens and tweens, they could come and go as they pleased and we never had to worry. Can go back to the room any time. It is 100 times more convenient than any of the WDW DVC resorts even.
It really is hard to beat VGC. Even the new DLH option with be a bit more of a hassle to get to and from.
I know it is expensive now, but for ease and relaxation it cant be beat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter