Proper Position of Bathroom Light Switch?

Where is your bathroom light switch?

• Inside wall

Votes: 138 88.5%
  • Outside wall

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Both

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Other (I don't know, maybe you have an outhouse?)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I voted inside.

Mom and Dad had a small bathroom that they added in the house years after they moved in. The light switch was not just inside the door. It was on the adjacent wall so you did sort of have to feel around for it until you got used to it and I have been to houses where the light was on the medicine cabinet or had a string switch. If she had something like that growing up, I could see her concern.

My laundry room switch is on the outside of the room, no clue why and it is kind of convenient, just flip it on as one walks in so I could see the benefit. Not when I had two teen boys at home though.

Friends are having a new home built and are having a friendly disagreement about where to place the bathroom light switches.

She wants them on the wall outside the door because she just likes it better turning the light on before entering so you dont have to feel around on the inside wall for the switch. Also house she grew up in had the switches outside so she is used to that.

He wants all switches inside the bathroom because he doesn't think anyone should be able to control the lights from the outside (bad college experience lol).

In my house all switches are on the inside.

Just made me wonder, is there a right or wrong? What's more common? I would guess switch on inside is the default?

What about you?

As for pranks, few would be deterred by an inside switch. You can open any interior lock with a quarter or a solid finger nail these days Even the old stye ones you could stick a bobby pin in and open. So you could easily reach in, and turn the lights off. A little more difficult than a switch on the outside, but not much. However, if one is pranked, I would much rather all I need do to get the lights back on is hit the switch inside rather than have to open a door and hit the switch outside where said prankster is probably laying in wait to put it on youtube. It is customary to put it on the inside. But if she absolutely wants one on the outside, I'd have it wired for a controlling switch on both the outside and the inside rather than just one on the outside assuming there is room near the bathroom to do it. There often is not in many homes. I have several such in my house. Both of my staircases have a light switch at each end of the staircase. The hall light has a switch at each end and the mud room has a switch in the mudroom and another in the garage.

Ours are outside for the master bath, 1 outside and 1 inside the hall bath, and inside for the powder room. I hate they are outside of the master bath but the builder told us that was code. While the kids were growing up, they thought it was funny to turn off the lights while mom or dad were in there. And now, if I go to the bathroom at night, I can't turn on the light without waking DH up.

Is she possibly an only child? I know what would happen in my house if the light switches were on the outside.

I grew up in a house with three siblings, me being the oldest. It definitely was not a regular thing to turn off the light.

I have lived in several homes and have never, ever seen bathroom light switches on the outside wall. That seems so bizarre.

Inside wall all the way.

LOL I think it’s totally bizarre to have a light switch on the inside wall. I can’t think of one house I’ve been in that I can remember right now where the switches are on the inside.

Google says they are almost always inside in the US
I know that they are building a house and maybe plan on living there forever, but I would consider re-sale and having the house be too unique. It might put buyers off

This is funny. Three posts in and I was wondering if it was a location thing. Switches on the outside are definitely the norm here.

I wonder if people think the switch would be turned on and off if outside because it would be a novelty to them. It’s just not something I ever think of.

When we built someone (not our contractor) told us it needed to be outside for code. I'm so glad that wasn't true!

I definitely think inside makes the most sense. Ours are all inside immediately to the right on the wall so they are easy to find.

Our bathroom light switches are outside the washroom and I think it's bizarre. But that's the way it is, and I'm used to it now. I wouldn't choose to put them on the outside though.

I've only ever seen them inside. Pretty sure if it was outside my kids would randomly leave me or each other in the dark in there.

When we built our house we weren't asked about that. All of ours are inside. Actually all the closets are too with exception to one of the closets that isn't a true walk-in and doesn't have a light.

Wonder if there is a building code at all related to it for new builds? Just thinking out loud maybe that would solve the argument right then and there lol.

Always inside, never have seen one outside the door. If issues with knowing where the switch is located, that's what nightlights can help with! You can even have just a 'guide' light which gives off a lot of light at night.

I've had this debate before with friends, and I can see why people like either option, but for me it's inside the bathroom, especially if it's an en-suite. In the night I like to be able to go inside the bathroom and close the door before turning on the light, so the light doesn't spill into the bedroom and possibly wake someone. But of course different circumstances, different opinions...
This! And it is kinda like the popular double sinks thing-Not strictly necessary especially if have kids! I can count on one hand the number of times IRL Hubs and I have gotten ready at exact same time.
Our house is 9 years old, all bathroom light switches are on inside of room. The only time I've experience outside the bathroom light switch was at a resort in Orlando-actually gave it a slightly negative review due to that (and the fact the "double door" entry when doors were open COVERED the light switch!!)

Outside is really only for closets.
Right? except my closet opens from inside the bathroom, and Hubs closet opens into bedroom-on my side of bed. He moved the switch to inside the closet so he could go into his (walk-in) closet and turn on the light without blinding me in the wee hours of the morning!

And it is kinda like the popular double sinks thing-Not strictly necessary especially if have kids! I can count on one hand the number of times IRL Hubs and I have gotten ready at exact same time.
Oh our double sinks aren't for getting ready at the same time. It's so he can keep his crap on his side and I can keep my crap on my side :laughing:

Though there are times we do get ready around the same time usually on the weekends.

My house was built with 2 bathrooms and the light switches are inside the bathroom
We added on a bedroom with a tiny (3'x5') half bath with a pocket door. The light switch had to go outside because of the pocket door.
I get up an hour before my wife does. An outside light switch in the master bathroom just wouldn't work because the light would flood the bedroom and wake up my wife up. I close the bathroom door then turn the light on.
I have noticed in a lot of newer hotels, the bathroom light switch is outside the bathroom. No idea why.

Oh our double sinks aren't for getting ready at the same time. It's so he can keep his crap on his side and I can keep my crap on my side :laughing:

Though there are times we do get ready around the same time usually on the weekends.

I have always, always wondered why double sinks are a thing. If it’s just for separating counter space couldn’t you just..get a longer counter with a single sink?

I have always, always wondered why double sinks are a thing. If it’s just for separating counter space couldn’t you just..get a longer counter with a single sink?
My parents house had double sinks in what was my bathroom. I always used the left sink. 53 years after they bought it, I sold the house, and both the hot and cold water faucets on the right sink were frozen in place from lack of use! I don't understand double sinks either.

I think the light switch should go outside the bathroom, with the shower valves.

I appreciate your sense of humor! However, I just Googled "where should a bathroom light switch be" and the top answer was that light switches INSIDE the bathroom are unique to countries that use 110 volt power. In countries where 220 volt is the norm, they are REQUIRED to be OUTSIDE the bathroom for safety reasons.

I appreciate your sense of humor! However, I just Googled "where should a bathroom light switch be" and the top answer was that light switches INSIDE the bathroom are unique to countries that use 110 volt power. In countries where 220 volt is the norm, they are REQUIRED to be OUTSIDE the bathroom for safety reasons.

Canada uses 110 so I guess we’re the unique of the uniques lol

This is a very unfinished picture of our bathroom when it was being built. In the middle is a built-in shelf/drawer system.

upload_2019-2-13_20-8-27.png

In speaking with the new homes I've seen in my area since 2013-to answer the question you really couldn't do just one sink and a long counter. I mean you could but it would hurt your resell value when you get to a certain price point.

Double sinks is just an attractive feature. Built-ins are becoming more common too and sometimes you'll also have people have the two sinks completely separated from each other (I didn't want a house plan with that because I didn't personally like that).

Also consider that a lot of bathrooms in newly built homes often have the sink area built into a nook so to speak and the space being maximized. To the left of that picture shares the wall with our laundry room. To the right of that picture shares the wall to our walk-in closet. Across the sink area is the bathtub but code-wise no water pipes can be against an outdoor wall thus a sink area couldn't be where the tub is as that's an outdoor wall.

Canada uses 110 so I guess we’re the unique of the uniques lol
How so? I don't recall any of my Aunt and Uncles houses in Canada having the switch outside the bathroom.

We have both in our house! Basement, main floor, sink area of the kids bathroom and toilet area of master bathroom are all inside. The sink/shower area of the master bathroom and toilet/shower area of the kids bathroom is outside the bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter