Princesses, Pirates and Pumpkins

We crossed over into Fantasyland next. There were two rides there that had piqued my interest. The first one was It's A Small World. This is normally one of my favourite rides, but for some reason I had not been on that ride up to that day. It's A Small World at Disneyland is very different from the versions at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris, but the changes were not made until 2008, which was a while after our last visit. 30 Disney characters were added, each in their native land, such as Ariel under water, Pinocchio in Italy, Cinderella in France with England hosting Alice, the White Rabbit, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell. The former New Guinea Room was transformed to North America with Woody, Jessie and Bullseye, and the South Seas room is home to Dori, Marlin, Lilo and Stitch. I know when I first heard about this, I thought this was a seriously bad idea. I am a firm believer of "don't fix it if it is not broken". When I first heard about this, I really could not understand why anybody would want to add Disney characters to this classic. I think this is probably why it took me right until the end of the holiday until I decided to try this. Normally this is one of the first rides that I do whenever I go to a Disney park. Even on this occasion I was just about ready to give up as there were people standing on the entrance plaza and there was no posted wait time. I figured that the wait time would probably be longer than I was willing to wait if people were already standing in line at the entrance plaza. However, I decided to take some photos of the façade as this is much prettier as in the other parks and when I got closer, I realized that the entrance plaza led straight to the ramp leading down to the loading platform. So I decided to go for it after all. I am glad that I did. What they did with this ride is amazing. Rather than the characters sticking out like a sore thumb as I had expected, they blend in well and actually add something to the whole experience. The characters for this ride were created very much in the style of the original Mary Blair dolls. I can't wait to do this ride again in May.

P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

P1010355.jpg

P1010356.jpg

http://youtu.be/6Efp1EmR1Mc

Next up was Matterhorn Bobsleighs. This is Graham's all time favourite ride and therefore was a must do. Again the lines for this were very short and we waited for only about 5 minutes. This amused us as we came across huge lines for the trick or treat trails and the Villains Meet and Greet that we passed on the way from It's A Small World to Matterhorn Bobsleighs. In a way, it was a shame that the wait was not longer as it was quite amusing to see bobsleighs whizzing past full of people in Halloween costumes. This time round there were far more people dressed up than this had been the case during the first party. However, soon it was our turn and we both enjoyed the ride. We did the Fantasyland side of the ride, which is the only one I have ever done. Rumour has it that the Fantasyland side of the ride is a bit slower and more sedate and the Tomorrowland side is a bit faster. I offered Graham to do the other side as well, but once had been enough for him.

We carried on towards Tomorrowland. Graham spotted that there was next to no line for Autopia. As this is normally a serious crowd puller, he could not resist this. He asked me if I was up for this and I told him that I was as long as he was doing the driving. That was a deal. I very quickly remembered why I do not like this ride: it is noisy and smelly and frankly not very exciting. Right next the exit from Autopia was the entrance to one of the Trick or Treat trails. I had no planned to do any during this party, but Graham said he should experience this at least once. So we got in line. The line ran parallel to the line for the Finding Nemo Submarine Ride, up the ramp to the monorail platform, up on one side of the platform and back on the other and down the exit ramp. Most of the Trick or Treat Stations were up on the monorail platform, but there were a couple on ground level, too. This was the longest line we had encountered all day and it was moving painfully slowly. I went for traditional treats which were a mixture of fun-size Milky Ways and Kitkats, Tootsie Rolls in a number of different flavours, M&Ms, Peanut Butter Cups, Skittles and Fruit Jellies. Graham went for the healthy options which were little packs of raisins, Craisins, bags with carrot sticks or apple slices and some apple crisps.

We headed to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy next. The posted wait time was 20 minutes, which is right at the top end of the timescale that Graham is willing to wait. However, I convinced him that this ride is well worth the wait. We did wait the full 20 minutes, but it was quite fun to have a look around at all the costumes. So of them were very well thought out and imaginative. I loved a whole group of people who had come dressed up as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. For me at least the time went a lot quicker. We also saw something interesting once we got inside the building. Near the loading area, they have a short stretch of track that consist of multiple pieces of track that run parallel and can be switched. This is how they add the wheelchair accessible car to the ride and remove it again when it is no longer needed. They put the whole train (should I say rocket) into this area and one normal car is disconnected from the other cars. The normal car is then switched for the wheelchair accessible car and the normal is put into a siding. Once they the accessible car is no longer required, they repeat the process to add the normal car. Very soon it was our turn to get on the ride. We both really enjoyed it, but decided that once a day is enough for both of us.

We then headed across to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. As much as I love this ride, this is usually a humbling experience when I am doing this with Graham as he tends to beat me by quite some margin. Still, with a 5 minute wait, this had to be done. In the end, we did this 3 times in a row. On the second turn, something unexpected happened. I still don't know what target I managed to hit so I will never be able to replicate this, but suddenly my score went up by 30000 points. I managed to win that round. Graham got still best out of three though.

After our first turn on Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, we spotted some Storm Troopers just outside the exit of the ride. It looked like they had no line at all. Unfortunately the line was on the other side of the exit. Still, it was still manageable and you do not come across a photo opportunity with Storm Troopers every day. So we got in line and waited about 15 minutes. I don't think the Storm Troopers were not impressed that we were not suitably scared of them.

Photo0507FourBySix.jpg

I had waited on purpose to try out the new Star Tours ride until I could experience this with Graham. The old version of Star Tours is one of those rides that guarantee to make me ill, but I had heard that the new version is much smoother and therefore decided to give it a go. I was not sure though how I would deal with the combination of the motion and a 3D film. Still, I was rather curious on what they had done with this ride. When we first entered that part of Tomorrowland, the waiting time was 45 minutes, which was far too much for both of our liking. By the time we had finished with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and the photos with the Storm Troopers, the waiting time had gone down to 20 minutes and with this, this had become a must do. The waiting area contains all kinds of interesting props and displays so it did not feel that we were waiting very long. The ride was much smoother than before and the 3D effects definitely added something to the experience. However, this is a ride that falls into the "I am glad to have done it once, but I doubt that I will do it again" category for me.

Once we had done Star Tours, we had finished with what we wanted to do in Tomorrowland and it was nearly time for the fireworks. So we decided to hang around the hub area. We both were thirsty and got something to drink from the Refreshment Corner. Graham then spotted the Little Red Wagon and as we both had not eaten anything since our early lunch, we decided to get a corn dog each. We got a very funny look when we asked for the apple slices to go with this rather than the crisps, we got a rather funny look. I love corn dogs, but they are essentially a little heart attach on a stick so we thought we could make this a little better by adding some fruit. The line for this was actually the second longest line that we had encountered all day, but it was so worth it. We got our corn dog just in time before the fireworks started. So we staked out a spot near there and enjoyed our corn dog while watching the fireworks. I enjoyed them just as much as the first time round, but the perspective from this spot was very different. I saw a few things that I had missed the first time round when I was standing much closer to the castle. Graham enjoyed the fireworks as well.

DSCF2220.jpg

Once the fireworks were over, there was only on thing left to do. I really wanted to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday with Graham at least once. The normal Haunted Mansion makes it quite easily into my top 10 rides and Haunted Mansion Holiday has just blown me away. As I knew that it was doubtful that we would return to Disneyland during the Halloween season, I really wanted to show this to him. So we headed towards New Orleans Square. When we got to Haunted Mansion, there was no line at all. We walked straight onto the porch and we only just missed out on going into the stretching room straight away. We were the first people into the stretching room when they let the next group in. Unfortunately Graham did not share my love for this ride. He was decidedly underwhelmed by it all.

When we were walking back towards the exit through Adventureland, we came across a rather lonely Genie. I could not believe that he had no line at all as he is not a particularly common character. I only had one previous opportunity to get a photo with Genie and that was at a character meal during our honeymoon in 1998. So I jumped at that chance.

Photo0514FourBySix.jpg

Photo0529FourBySix.jpg

Once we had our photos taken, we headed towards the exit. The park had definitely emptied out after the fireworks and Disneyland felt a little strange with so few people around. Once we had left the park, we picked up our belongings from the locker. We then headed back to the hotel, where we fell into bed tired, but happy.

Loving the trip report. I too love it's a Small World at DL better and man I wish WDW would have the Indiana Jones ride instead of the show...we loved that ride at DL.

Day 18

All over sudden it was the last full day of the holiday. Not only was it a holiday of a lifetime, but before we left, it felt like it would last for a lifetime, too. Looking back, it had just flown by. Still, I had one more full day to come. I had every intention to make it to early opening at Disney's California Adventure, but I think I had one too many early mornings. I had a very slow morning and once I realised that I would not make early opening anyway, I decided to once again have breakfast of wedding cake and coffee on the balcony.

When I finally got going, I decided to have a look at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. I have always bypassed this, but decided to have a look this time round. This had a bit of a make over to include some of the characters from Up. They also have a map with various challenges, some of which can only be done by children, that will lead to people completing all of them to get a Wildlife Explorer Badge (sticker).

Just past the entrance, I spotted a Photopass Photographer who looked thoroughly bored. I had heard prior to our trip that they do a special photo with Stitch bursting out of the pavement, with the information I had, I thought this was available at both parks, but when I had asked about this at the Photopass shop at Disneyland,I was told this was only offered at Disney's California Adventure. So when I saw the photographer, I decided to ask her about this. We were initially talking at cross purposes. She thought I was talking about an actual character meet and greet and was advised that Stitch was not scheduled to be out for any appearances that day. I described precisely what I was looking for and her eyes lit up. She told me that she could do the magic shots with Stitch. Apart from the one with Stitch bursting out of the pavement, she also said she had one with Stitch eating an ice cream. She had be sit down on a bench for that one, but unfortunately, for whatever reason, this photo did not make it on my Photopass. Still, the other one came out great.

Photo0549FourBySix.jpg

With the photos out of the way, I decided to have a closer look at Redwood Creek Challenge. I soon gave up as it was just too hot and there is little shade in that area. It definitely warrants a closer look in the future. On selected days, they offer this as an activity for people staying at the onsite hotels before park opening, which may be a better option to explore.

IMGA0249.jpg

IMGA0250.jpg

IMGA0251.jpg

I headed towards the Paradise Pier area next and stopped on the way for some more photos with Duffy and some photos on the bridge with the Paradise Pier area in the background.

Photo0564FourBySix.jpg

Photo0599FourBySix.jpg

Photo0608FourBySix.jpg

Photo0630FourBySix.jpg

Photo0634FourBySix.jpg

Photo0653FourBySix.jpg

My plan had been to head straight to Toy Story Midway Mania, but the carrousel with the sea creatures proved too tempting. I initially fancied getting on one of the dolphins, but once I realised that the belts you have to wear are not the clip kind, but ones with a proper buckle, I decided that this was too much like hard work and chose a bench instead.

P1010360.jpg

P1010361.jpg

When I had my ride on the carrousel, I continued on to Toy Story Midway Mania. By that time, the waiting time was 45 minutes. Still, this is one of the few rides that I consider worth waiting 45 minutes for. So I got in line. Unfortunately there were to unaccompanied kids of about 11 or 12 in front of me who had not yet learned how to behave in line. They were swinging the chains that make up the lines smacking me in the arm with it at one point and when they were not doing this, they were pushing each other. I spent most of the time in line avoiding them as best as I could. Just before the line went inside, they were joined by an adult. Normally I frown upon queue jumping and would have said something, but I was just relieved that there was finally somebody who would reign them in. However, that proved to be wishful thinking. They still misbehaved and the adult with them did not do anything to stop them. Still, eventually we got to the front of the line and I did really enjoy the ride again.

I headed around the lagoon with the intention to do the Little Mermaid ride one last time, but this was yet again down. From what I have seen, this ride is at least as temperamental as Test Track. I hope that they manage to work the bugs out until this ride opens at the Magic Kingdom.

I headed towards A Bug's Land to see what characters were out there. Chip and Dale were just about to go in for a break, but we were told that Minnie and Pluto would come out for photos in about 20 minutes. They tried to herd us into It's Tough To Be A Bug in the meantime, but I passed. I hate this attraction as I have a bit of a phobia of all that creeps and crawls. Instead I headed for the cart that sold ice cream and soft drinks near the entrance to this area. I got myself a nice cold Vitamin Water and chatted with the cast member manning the cart for a bit and then I headed back to the location for the character meet and greet. When Minnie and Pluto came out, I was the second in line. I got some hugs and photos with Minnie and Pluto and then I moved on.

Photo0658FourBySix.jpg

Photo0677FourBySix.jpg

Photo0686FourBySix.jpg

Photo0702FourBySix.jpg

My next destination was Soarin. There I encountered a real life Grumpy. It was pretty hot that day. It was nothing that I could not cope with, but hot it was. I walked up to the cast member at the entrance and asked for a Single Rider Pass. I was given this, but was also given an absolute earful on why anybody in their right mind would spend any time in a park in such a heat. I was absolutely stunned by this. I extracted myself from this as soon as possible and headed for the ride. Once again I was lucky enough to end up in row one and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

It had been my intention to do Soarin 2 or 3 times. When I came out, I headed back around to the entrance in the hope that there had been a shift change. However, Grumpy was still there. At that point I decided that as much as I love this ride, it was not worth it to face Grumpy again, especially as I would be back in May. Instead I headed into the little shop opposite Soarin to check out the pins. I managed to get a DVC exclusive pin and an annual passholder pin.

After this, I decided I was done with California Adventure. Up to this point, I had always entered and exited the park through the Grand Californian entrance. However, as I was heading for Disneyland, I decided to use the main entrance this time. With all the building work going on at California Adventure, the old entrance plaza is currently boarded up and is being slowly changed into Buena Vista Street. A new temporary entrance is now to the right of Soarin and goes through some backstage areas. The whole thing is slightly depressing, but if the concept art is anything to go by, it will be well worth it.

When I entered Disneyland, there were some Photopass photographers right inside the turnstiles taking photos of the people in front of the masked Mickey flower bed. I could not resist this opportunity. Once I was in the park proper, I made the mistake to check out the Emporium. Before the cruise, I had got my Secret Mickey a Stitch Halloween pin. I wanted one for myself, too, but they would only let me buy one. So I was hoping to be able to pick up another. Unfortunately there was no such luck. I did however manage to get myself a t shirt with the Mickey's Halloween Party logo. I was surprised that they were out considering that it was not a party day. I was very happy to find one in my size as the sizes the previous day had been very limited. I also picked up some goodies for a Halloween gift exchange.

Photo0733FourBySix.jpg

Photo0740FourBySix.jpg

P1010309-1.jpg

After the little tactical mistake of shopping, I headed to Tomorrowland. I did Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters a couple of times and then headed for the monorail. I had so far only taken the monorail from Downtown Disney into the park, but had not done the whole loop. I was about to put this right. I had also heard that at Disneyland, they still let people ride up front with the pilot so I decided to ask about this. I was told that in general this was possible, but they had suspended this for now as the temperatures were to high. I could not quite understand the reasoning behind this, but I got into the normal line. When you get on the monorail at Downtown Disney, you have to get off in the park. However, if you get on in the park, they let you do the whole loop. I really enjoyed this.

With Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters being a walk on, I could not resist doing this a couple of times more. By that time my body reminded me that I had not eaten anything since leaving the room in the morning. I decided to head back towards Main Street and had some afternoon tea Halloween-style. I was still missing the Donald Halloween cup and I also wanted one for a friend. So I decided to get a couple of the demitasse desserts and some hot spiced caramel cider. There was nowhere to sit inside the bakery, but there is a restaurant right next door that was closed at the time and has outside seating. Other people were using this seating so I decided to sit down, too. Shortly after I sat down, Mickey's Soundsational Parade started and this actually proved to be a perfect viewing spot. I had most certainly not planned it that way, but I was glad that I had another chance to see this. When the parade was finished, I decided to head to New Orleans Square. As I was leaving the restaurant, I saw a rather amusing sign near the entrance that surely must put you off ordering fish:

P1010362.jpg

Before leaving Disneyland, I had to do Haunted Mansion Holiday one last time. This ride really captured my imagination. The line was again pretty manageable. I so wish that they did do the Holiday overlay at the Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World.

By this time I was essentially all Disneyed out. I headed back towards Town Square in the hope that I might catch some more characters in their Halloween costumes. Unfortunately Goofy in his skeleton costume was just heading in. I asked if more characters would be coming out soon and I was told yes. About 10 minutes later some rather obscure characters appeared. I decided that I had enough character photos and headed back to the hotel.

P1010363.jpg

P1010364.jpg

P1010365.jpg

P1010366.jpg

P1010367.jpg

On the way back, I stopped by the business centre. I needed to do our online check in as I needed to pay to check in an extra piece of luggage and this is a lot cheaper if you do it online. It turned out that you could use the computers in the business centre free of charge for doing online check in, but they did charge for printing the boarding passes. This was fine by me. They were just about to close for the day and I did not have our booking reference on me, but they open at 7:00 in the morning so I could sort this out first thing the next day.

When I got back to the room, Graham was already there. I sat down for a bit and just relaxed. Graham asked if I still wanted to take some photos of the lobby, which I did. So we headed out again. He had gone exploring during the day and had come across an observation deck on the top floor of Disney Vacation Club wing, that has great views over the Paradise Pier section of the park. At that time, we were the only people up there. I got some great photos of the park all lit up.

P1010368.jpg

P1010374.jpg

P1010375.jpg

P1010376.jpg

P1010377.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P1010380.jpg

P1010383.jpg

P1010384.jpg

P1010387.jpg

P1010391.jpg

Our main objective had been to give me the chance to take some photos of the lobby. So we headed in that general direction. On the way we passed some windows overlooking the pool area and this looked very festive all lit up.

P1010392.jpg

P1010401.jpg

The lobby is difficult to photograph. There is no natural light and even in broad daylight, it is relatively dark. It is however very beautiful and has lovely touches like a big open fireplace with rocking chairs in front, comfortable arm chairs and at certain times of the a piano player playing Disney songs.

P1010393.jpg

P1010396.jpg

P1010397.jpg

P1010403.jpg

P1010404.jpg

P1010407.jpg

P1010408.jpg

P1010409.jpg

P1010410.jpg

P1010411.jpg

Once I had taken enough photos, we decided that it was time for dinner. As we had loved both of our meals at Storytellers Cafe, we decided to try their buffet. This was quite a nice spread with various salads and vegetables, carved strip loin, salmon, pasta, chicken tenders, short ribs, macaroni cheese and a huge selection of desserts. I was very happy when I realized that the corn chowder was also on the buffet. Dinner was very pleasant apart from the macaroni cheese. Maybe I was just spoiled from the fantastic macaroni cheese that I had a Steakhouse 55, but the macaroni cheese at Storytellers Cafe tasted like the stuff that comes out of a cardboard box. Still, there was more than enough food on the buffet that kept me happy.

P1010412.jpg

P1010413.jpg

After dinner, I headed up to the observation deck while Graham briefly went back to the room to get his video camera. The observation deck was actually quite busy with people standing 3 or 4 deep around the walls. Still, we had a decent view of World of Colour. Graham made a second attempt of videoing the show, but again he had limited success. World of Colour is just to complex for his poor little video camera. I managed to get a few photos that I like. I deleted more than I kept, but I am pleased with the ones that were worth keeping.

P1010414.jpg

P1010416.jpg

P1010420.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010422.jpg

P1010423.jpg

P1010424.jpg

P1010425.jpg

P1010428.jpg

P1010429.jpg

P1010430.jpg

P1010431.jpg

P1010432.jpg

P1010434.jpg

P1010437.jpg

P1010438.jpg

P1010439.jpg

P1010440.jpg

P1010442.jpg

P1010443.jpg

P1010444.jpg

P1010445.jpg

P1010446.jpg

Once the show was over, we decided to head down to the Hearthstone Lounge for a nightcap. We had spotted a Key Lime Pie Martini on the menu when we were there before and this intrigued both of us. So we had to try it. It was very nice and even had a Graham cracker crust around the rim of the glass. As nice as it was, it was also quite sweet so one of those was our limit. As we were not quite ready to go to bed yet, we ordered a Sangria each and just soaked up the atmosphere. Once the Sangria had been drank, we were ready for our bed. We paid for our drinks and headed upstairs to our room.

P1010447.jpg

P1010448.jpg

P1010449.jpg

P1010450.jpg

P1010456.jpg

P1010457.jpg

Lovely night-time pics! You certainly fit a lot into your last day.

Day 19

And there it was, the day I always dread on every holiday. It was time to pack up for the last time and head home. I had set my wake up call for 7:00 and headed straight to the business centre to do my online check in. I was quite surprised when it would not let me do the online check in on the KLM website as both of our flights were operated by KLM. This was a bit of a blow as I had counted on being able to do the online check in. Out of sheer bloodymindedness, I tried on the Delta website and there I could complete my online check in without any further problems. With my boarding passes and the receipt for the additional piece of luggage in my hands, I headed back to our room.

By the time I got back, Graham was awake as well. We finished our packing. I had a little scare. As we were only staying 4 nights this time, we did not expect any housekeeping as we were staying using DVC points. However, the previous day, we appeared to have had a trash and towel service. I had left our cake topper on the floor next to the bin as I did not want to risk that it got knocked off any surface. It had been wrapped in some brown textured paper. When Graham came to pack this, we could not find it anywhere. This could only mean one thing, the housekeeper had thought it was rubbish and had thrown it out. My heart nearly stopped. I rang guest services straight away in the hope that the rubbish might not have been collected. They were very apologetic and advised that the rubbish from the previous day had already gone. The asked for a description and where going to try and replace it. I tried my best to describe it and was just about to offer to come down to show them a photo, when Graham lifted down my carry on case from the chest of drawers underneath the TV. It had sat there since we had arrived on the Sunday and after unpacking what I needed shortly after arriving, I had not been anywhere near it. I had left it unzipped. Graham realised that this was heavier than expected. When he opened it, he found our cake topper inside. I was so relieved. I told the person from guest services the good news and she sounded nearly as relieved as I felt.

With this little bit of drama out of the way, we finished our packing and checked that we had not left anything behind. I took some photos of our view and then called the number that we had been given to check out.

P1010458.jpg

P1010459.jpg

P1010460.jpg

P1010461.jpg

We went downstairs about half an hour before our scheduled pick up time. Just as we stepped out of the front door of the hotel, a blue Super Shuttle van pulled up. I went across to the driver to check if he was there to pick us up and indeed he was. There were already two ladies on the shuttle. After we were picked up, we had one more pick up. When I realized that we we were heading towards Garden Grove, I hoped that I would get one last look at Crystal Cathedral. However, this was not to be. Garden Grove is a long and thin kind of town and the couple that we picked up from their home lived at the opposite end from Crystal Cathedral.

The trip to the airport went very smoothly. We were the first people to be dropped off when we got there. When we got inside the terminal, I realized why I ended up having to do my online check in on the Delta website. Even though KLM flies from a different terminal than Delta, the check in staff were all from Delta. Baggage drop was very smooth with only one person in front of us. Once our suitcases were tagged, we had to take them again to take them to the security screening point. Once we got there, we were just told to leave them. There were probably upwards of 200 pieces of luggage there waiting to be x-rayed. This kind of makes this a useless exercise. I could understand this system if they needed you to be present while they x-ray your luggage, but the way this is handled, I do not understand why this cannot be done behind the scenes like it is done at other airports. Still, we had plenty of time and this took only a couple of minutes.

We breezed through security. This can take a fair while as they do not have many lanes for screening. However, this time it only took about 5 minutes from having our passports and boarding cards checked at the bottom of the escalator until retrieving our belongings at the other end. Once we had cleared all the formalities, we headed for Starbucks. I managed to get another Green Tea Frappuccino and Graham just had a filter coffee. There was free WiFi in that area so I could check my emails once more before getting on the plane.

I was hoping to be able to get some Ghirardelli Peanut Butter Squares. I developed a taste for them when I was given a free sample of them at the Ghirardelli store at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World in 2008. As Ghirardelli comes from California I thought I would have no problems getting some. Three different shops sold Ghirardelli products and all three had a good selection, but neither had the Peanut Butter Squares. What I did however see was my beloved Patron XO Cafe. I so wanted to get a bottle of this as I have never seen it in the UK apart from in duty free shops. Unfortunately I had to resist temptation as we had to change planes in Amsterdam and this would get confiscated at the security check point.

The rest of the time until we were called for boarding, I spent reading a book on my iPad. Fortunately sockets are in plentiful supply around the boarding gates at LAX so I could plug my iPad in and did not have to worry about running the charge down.

P1010463.jpg

DSCF2221.jpg

Very soon it was time to get on the plane. I was quite impressed with the plane. It was a Boeing 747, which I am normally not too keen on, but it had very comfortable leather seats that also seemed to be a bit wider than usual. Graham was not quite as keen as the legroom was not wonderful. They also had a decent entertainment system with seatback screens and a good selection of films, TV programmes, music and games. The food was also a notch above average. I had Thai Red Curry with Jasmine Rice and assorted beans and this was very tasty. I spent the flight with a mixture of playing games, listening to music, reading and napping.

We had to change planes in Amsterdam. This was a lot smoother than changing planes in Heathrow even though we seemed to have walked for miles from the gate we arrived at to the gate that our flight to Manchester departed from. I realised once more though that I much prefer changing planes in the USA. Fortunately the next time, we will change planes in Atlanta again.

The airport in Amsterdam looked quite old and could do with a bit of a spruce up. There is nowhere to sit while waiting for your flight. Graham sat down on the floor near the gate whereas I headed back towards the arrival gate as I had spotted some shops halfway between the two gates. When I came back, I sat down on the floor as well. They offer 30 minutes complimentary WiFi. So I could check my emails and check in on Facebook.

With less than an hour to go, they opened the gate area. They do the security screening right at the gate in Amsterdam. Once we had cleared this, we were able to sit down until we were called for boarding. This was quite a smooth process and the flight was eventless. They served Dutch biscuits and soft drinks on the flight and then had to scramble to collect all the rubbish prior to landing. When we got to Manchester, the lines for passport control were not nearly as long as they normally are, but that probably was because we arrived later than all the long-haul flights. It did not take long until we had our luggage either and soon we were on our way home. When we got there we just fell into bed.

What a fabulous trip! And how great that you are coming back again in May! Looking forward to hearing all about that trip too!

Yes, the next vacation is coming so close now. I have not decided yet if I will do a trip report for this. I have always enjoyed doing them before, but this one has been incredibly hard work for some reason.

Corinna

At the risk of begging... (and I am open to begging :laughing:)

you must do a TR for your next trip, I have really enjoyed reading about your trip. Even if you don't do a TR we will need lots and lots and lots of pictures!

You always have such wonderful adventures xx

At the risk of begging... (and I am open to begging :laughing:)

you must do a TR for your next trip, I have really enjoyed reading about your trip. Even if you don't do a TR we will need lots and lots and lots of pictures!

You always have such wonderful adventures xx

Photos I can most certainly do.

Corinna

Thank you for sharing your amazing trip report with us Corinna, I have just read it in one go. I've loved all your photos, and I've shown your Disneyland pics to my DD's as they're off to California this Summer :)

Please, please, please do a trip report for your Hawaiian Cruise. I really hope to do this cruise one day and I would love to read all about it and see your photos .... pretty please ! :)

Thanks again :)

Another lovely report Corinna. Love the look of that key lime martini with Graham cracker rim - delicious.

Tammy

IMG_7611.jpg

Lovely, lovely, lovely.
So special that you got the fancy venue!

I think this is my favorite picture because it shows both of your faces at the same time and I like the pastor's hand on yours in blessing.

But I like this one too!

IMG_7741.jpg

Did you wear the dress off the ship or did I misunderstand?

Jan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter