Princess Power - September 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

I used to eat a lot of ice cream in the summer. I love watermelon so I figured I would focus on that and had so much of it this summer. It didn't slow down my results and I am used to now craving watermelon when I am in need of refreshing treat

I make ice lollies from fruit smoothies home and they are hit with my son.

another sub - cocktails with prosecco. Saves a lot of calories and sugar. I had one cocktail in the last... like 6 months but it was at really good bar, mixed in front of me drink. Not the pre made stuff they sell everywhere lately so it was worth it

I don't think pasta is bad, but I do half and half spagetti and courgette noodles (spirilized courgettes) and also same with cauliflower or broccoli rice sometimes to bulk up the veg and lower the calorie of the meal

I used to eat pizza every Friday but I haven't felt like one. I think I learned to crave food that is very filling and makes me feel good after I have it and the pizza I used to get is too greasy for my liking. I get burrito bowl now and ask for extra veggies in it

Good morning! Yesterday was my final birthday celebration of the month so I'm happy for a Monday to kick it into gear. And it's a day off so I can't complain about that either :cool1:. I plan on spending today focusing on my mental health and coming up with a plan this week to help me be successful. The weekend wasn't as good as I would have liked but I also feel it could have been worse so I'm happy for the progress.

QOTD - since I'm on my phone it wouldn't let me quote directly. But this is a good question! Honestly, I'm not really sure what foods I eat that are supposed to be "healthy" but are really not. Probably a lot of those WW branded food items or any other "skinny" or light options.

What foods have you eaten or are still eating that we typically think of as healthy but have hidden poisons (eg. Sugar, calories etc) in them??

This is such a good question and I'm trying to wrack my brain around what I was eating that I thought was "good" but really wasn't. Weight watchers and my fitness pal really helped put things into perspective that we don't buy them. Maybe the cookies/crackers you find at whole foods (ie: Annie's bunnies). Just because it was bought at a Sprouts or Whole Foods doesn't mean that it's healthy.

There's so much hidden in our overly processed foods but I have to say the bad stuff I eat is known to be bad, so I can't hide behind not knowing.

I really do need to buckle down and learn how to cook, so I know as much as possible what I am eating.

This has been s productive weekend, I've accomplished what I set out to do, but the house is not put back together enough to really see the improvement. I'd love to curl up on the sofa and knit the afternoon away but keep seeing more things that need to be addressed, so back at it I go. It is going to be a nice fall to have gotten all these things taken care of and not hanging over my head.

Last edited:

QOTD: Until 4 months ago, it was diet soda. Not a huge amount, never bought it for home, but anytime I was out - so maybe 3-4 times a week. Cut it out completely. Good for no more chemicals (but if it had been regular soda, there's so many calories I could have cut out! Oh well). We don't eat processed foods much - I cook a ton. I just need to eat.less.food.

Productive weekend. Took DD and her bff apple picking this morning. My kids went to Barn School camp at the apple farm last month, so she had fun introducing her friend to the goats and chickens by name. Did my "homework" for my back-to-school meeting tomorrow. Took a 2.5 mile walk so I'm just about to my 10k steps for the day (I'll hit them when I make dinner/clean up the kitchen tonight).

Other than that... just a whole HUGE amount of :scared::crazy:o_O:scared: as I prepare to officially go back to work tomorrow morning for the first time in 7 years...it's the right choice, it's a great opportunity, it's got potential for more in the future, and it's going to actually be less disruptive to my family (last year I was tutoring 8+ hours a week, at night which was pure chaos with my own kids' activities etc) - but still making me pretty anxious.

o_O
Other than that... just a whole HUGE amount of :scared::crazy:o_O:scared: as I prepare to officially go back to work tomorrow morning for the first time in 7 years...it's the right choice, it's a great opportunity, it's got potential for more in the future, and it's going to actually be less disruptive to my family (last year I was tutoring 8+ hours a week, at night which was pure chaos with my own kids' activities etc) - but still making me pretty anxious.

Hang in there - sending good thoughts your way for a great first day :goodvibes - can't wait to hear how it went.

Ok so for me - I used to buy the 99% fat free mayo and salad dressings - now after reading I just buy the usual and use less or sometimes have plain greek yoghurt as an alternative.

Yoghurt - I am still a mixed bag with yoghurt - I still like a vanilla flavoured one which I am sure has way too much sugar in than I should be having - but if I am having that with some fruit- I kind of think sure it has to be better than some other choices I could make - but then again possibly not.

I read that if you were out and decided to have a store made large bran muffin over a donut - that due to the portion size and possibly it not being as healthy as we think - you might as well have had the donut.

Also be careful of trail-mixes and protein bars - all are not equal - again sometimes we might as well have a candy bar lol.

Smoothies/Juices - I went through a home juicing phase and yes it can be healthy but if we make ones with lots of fruit we still need to watch the sugar content as even too much natural sugar can still be too much sugar. Also, again when we are out and buy a store made smoothie it is not always a healthier choice due to some of the ingredients they use.

I bought some Kale corn chips from Costco and I was like Kale - so these have to be a bit healthier right? No - probably not and that thought apparently can just make us eat more of them anyway! - but they tasted good o_O

But apart from that I'm kind of with you @Oneanne - I can't really always hide behind the idea of 'hidden poisons' in my foods as I straight out eat some pretty well known 'poisons' way too regularly.

I will try to return my garmin tracker today, it's less than month old and very unreliable. Yesterday 14000 steps, full hour walk including hour brisk walk = 120 calories added to my bmr, very unreliable for calorie tracking

Hope they let me refund or exchange!

disappointed in it, very short lived love

I will try to return my garmin tracker today, it's less than month old and very unreliable. Yesterday 14000 steps, full hour walk including hour brisk walk = 120 calories added to my bmr, very unreliable for calorie tracking

Hope they let me refund or exchange!

disappointed in it, very short lived love

Boo - That is very disappointing - Hope you had no trouble with the exchange.

story02.jpg

wall_decal_mirror_on_the_wall_fairest_s.jpg

The Wicked Queen is a woman not coping well with the ageing process that we all go through. She let her envy of Snow’s youth, with hair dark as night, skin white as snow and lips of ruby red and heart of kindness get the better of her.

We are all at different ages and stages here in our group but of course we have all been younger than we are now. Changing hair colour and texture, skin complexion, wrinkles and dare I say it .... sagging happens to the best of us at some stage and of course is affected by our lifestyle….

QOTD: When you gaze into the mirror do you wonder where that fairer image of yourself has gone? How are you coping with the changes ageing brings to both your body and your health?

Maybe you are fairest of all right now! Tell us if you think so…

Bonus Question: Rather than attempting to kill the younger fairest of them all in your land like the Wicked Queen, what are you doing to combat the ageing process? Share your ‘magic secrets’…
Extra Bonus Question: As we move on from Snow White today …. Have you seen any of the modern remakes of Snow White such as ‘Mirror Mirror’ or ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’? Tell us what you think of these movies?

Quote of the Day

tumblr_m17eu1YhCc1rogs7xo1_500.jpg

[
We are all at different ages and stages here in our group but of course we have all been younger than we are now. Changing hair colour and texture, skin complexion, wrinkles and dare I say it .... sagging happens to the best of us at some stage and of course is affected by our lifestyle….

QOTD: When you gaze into the mirror do you wonder where that fairer image of yourself has gone? How are you coping with the changes ageing brings to both your body and your health?

Bonus Question: Rather than attempting to kill the younger fairest of them all in your land like the Wicked Queen, what are you doing to combat the ageing process? Share your ‘magic secrets’…

Some days I feel 100 years old. Last year around end of October when I had it particularity hard I looked myself in the mirror and I felt like crying. I felt 2015 aged me a lot. What happened to me? that's how I felt, I felt gone and some old lifeless woman staring me back from the mirror

I lightened up I guess, looking after your mind and heart, having more fun and eating healthy helped me this year. I feel ok. Like I don't look in the mirror and think of myself as the fairest of all but I do view myself as myself again

Specific advise - limit sun but get some, limit highly processed foods, leave old stories that weigh you down behind, put little bit of make up even on chill out day, moisturize your skin daily. We all have stories to tell, but there is no benefit of repeating a story again and again and again if it serves no benefit to our future.

Last edited:

Keep us posted on what you get, if you get another... I've been window shopping since these devices are all so connected now with online fitness apps, I just think I'll wait for Black Friday for the best deal.

I'm behind because of the long weekend and not logging in here as Disboards App isn't as friendly as the website... My house gets done when I have visitors, that's it. Other than that I can totally live in the chaos of a cluttered home. Fortunately, my BF is a busy body neat freak. He knows I am the exact opposite, but he's okay with it. His mantra is, don't sweat the petty stuff and if it's important to him to pick everything up immediately, he'll just do it and not hold a grudge... I must hold my own in other areas of the relationship ;)

As for snacks - the big move I've made in the last year or so is from pre-processsed yogurts to simply using a plain yogurt or greek plain yogurt and mixing some sugar free preserves in for taste. Other than that it was just coming to the understanding that fat free doesn't mean calorie free, because I'll finish a whole bag of twizzlers in a day (yes, the one pound bag!!) and think, hey it's fat free right?! (ugh...)

Finally, yes, having just turned 45 I'm starting to see the crows feet and lines that don't go away when you relax your face... I've had gray hair since I was 16, a genetic gift from my mom. She never dyed her hair so even in photos when she was in her 30s and 40s it was completely silver. I learned how to dye it at age 23 and have been a redhead ever since (the freckles make it look believable). So gray hair doesn't make me think age. Just the lines! I use Aveeno Positively Ageless face cream religiously every morning. It's SPF 30 and expensive as all get out - it's the one beauty product I will pay big bucks for (but will still look for coupons and CVS stacking deals!) I also like to take soaking baths with epson salts - they have lots of relaxing scents available!

I'm afraid I haven't seen the more recent remakes! Have a great week everyone, a short great week for those in the States!

The Wicked Queen is a woman not coping well with the ageing process that we all go through. She let her envy of Snow’s youth, with hair dark as night, skin white as snow and lips of ruby red and heart of kindness get the better of her.

Extra Bonus Question: As we move on from Snow White today …. Have you seen any of the modern remakes of Snow White such as ‘Mirror Mirror’ or ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’? Tell us what you think of these movies?

OY!! This is a SORE subject for me! I'm sad that I didn't seem to get my act together to get to (and stay at) my GOAL WEIGHT in my 20's or 30's.... or even EARLY 40's! Don't get me wrong... I'm DELIGHTED to be there now. But now I have a size 4-6 waistline.... but an old-lady face!

Obviously being in my (URGH!) 50's means that my face and skin isn't quite as glowing and and bright and elastic as it was years ago..... and add two pregnancies and breastfeeding two children and losing nearly 90 pounds to that... well, let's just say my mid-section (especially) isn't what it could be, should be, or used to be!! Sure, any decent plastic surgeon could definitely make some great changes, but I've never been under anesthesia and I'm not about to try it for the first time just for the sake of VANITY! Same goes for a face-lift.... I think I could definitely use one.... but safety outweighs vanity. One reason I stopped running was because I read a few studies about what running can do to a sagging face.... one comment was "don't run until they invent a bra for your face." That was all I needed to hear!! That being said.... running keeps your INSIDES to healthy.... if I loved it I wouldn't have let that comment stop me! But I didn't love it.... I tolerated it.

I've moisturized pretty faithfully since my 20's, I've never been a big sun worshiper (although that being said, I'm not as careful with the sunscreen when I am out as I should be), I keep my teeth clean and white with the help of OTC tooth whitener (I think that yellow teeth can age your appearance), and I TRY to keep my hair in a style that is age-appropriate, but still fun and young-ish. I am greying around the temples, but since I am a fair blonde, it blends fairly well. I've never colored my hair and I am not about to start.

I've tried multiple different skin creams that are of the drug-store variety and have been gifted a few fancier creams (my Mom understands my lament), but nothing seems like "magic-in-a-bottle", so I stick primarily with Olay products and Yes To products.

BTW, this is me, all the time!! DD and I had quite the chuckle when we first saw Tangled.... I do this in the mirror ALL-THE-TIME!!

mymothergothel.jpg

Hey all! Not enough hours left in the day between now and when I leave on Thursday!!!!! Ended up running errands with DD both Saturday and Sunday and while we did get stuff done, it took up waaaaaayyyyy more time than it should have! We didn't even get around to packing until nearly lunch time yesterday!!!

Anyhooo..... so much to do, so little time left, so I'm not going to hang out much here to chat. I'll try to say hi tomorrow morning during my 24/7 shift! Have a WONDERFUL day!!.................P

"When you deny the reality of life, you appreciate it less.

I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.

All that is dear to me and everyone I love
are of the nature to change.
"

buddhists on age and change

I got home from DL yesterday and after 14 hours of sleep I think I am ready to jump back in :) I had such a good time on my first solo trip. My friend from North Dakota was able to meet me there and I was super excited to see her. It was a nonstop weekend. My races went pretty good. The 10k was awesome I felt so good the entire time. It was fun to run into @courtneybeth on the course and chat for a minute. I finished only 3 minutes slower than my PR, I was happy with that considering I was holding back because I still had to run the half. My half was a different story I went out way too fast and couldn't maintain it. I started to struggle but then I got to the stadium and that gave me so much energy. At mile 11 things starting going downhill. I hit the wall at mile 12 and missed my PR by 5 mins. Considering all that I did this weekend I don't think that was too bad. And I actually lost 1.5 lbs. So I am at 30% of my goal.

Here are my pictures before the race, I was the Evil Queen for the 10k and Mickey for the half.
EQ.jpg MM.jpg

Ok I'm going to attempt to catch up

The trait I have that Snow White has is I am overly trusting. I like to think the best of everyone.

Getting back to routine this year has been easier than I thought. It feels good to be back on track and I think it has helped my eating. I feel like I am not mindlessly snacking as much. I have never really worked so I don't know if staying home is easier than working. I am not organized at all. I try to work on that but it I can never seem to make it a habit.

I do not clean on the weekends. I try to get enough cleaning done during the week so that the weekends are just family time.

Foods with hidden sugars would be granola/protein bars. I know they are probably loaded with sugar but I like to eat them for breakfast because they are quick and easy.

The mirror, I hate the mirror. I am getting to a point where I am noticing the aging. I try not to focus too much on it. For now I am choosing to ignore it and not let it get me down.

I have seen Mirror, Mirror and I thought it was ok. Snow White and the Huntsman I turned off in the first 30 minutes because I hated it.

One reason I stopped running was because I read a few studies about what running can do to a sagging face.... one comment was "don't run until they invent a bra for your face." That was all I needed to hear!! That being said.... running keeps your INSIDES to healthy.... if I loved it I wouldn't have let that comment stop me! But I didn't love it.... I tolerated it.

Oh my gosh that made me laugh out loud! I can't quit running but maybe I'll tape my face up so I don't have any sagging problems later in life lol.

I got home from DL yesterday and after 14 hours of sleep I think I am ready to jump back in :) I had such a good time on my first solo trip. My friend from North Dakota was able to meet me there and I was super excited to see her. It was a nonstop weekend. My races went pretty good. The 10k was awesome I felt so good the entire time. It was fun to run into @courtneybeth on the course and chat for a minute. I finished only 3 minutes slower than my PR, I was happy with that considering I was holding back because I still had to run the half. My half was a different story I went out way too fast and couldn't maintain it. I started to struggle but then I got to the stadium and that gave me so much energy. At mile 11 things starting going downhill. I hit the wall at mile 12 and missed my PR by 5 mins. Considering all that I did this weekend I don't think that was too bad. And I actually lost 1.5 lbs. So I am at 30% of my goal.

Here are my pictures before the race, I was the Evil Queen for the 10k and Mickey for the half.
View attachment 192738 View attachment 192739

The trait I have that Snow White has is I am overly trusting. I like to think the best of everyone.

Getting back to routine this year has been easier than I thought. It feels good to be back on track and I think it has helped my eating. I feel like I am not mindlessly snacking as much. I have never really worked so I don't know if staying home is easier than working. I am not organized at all. I try to work on that but it I can never seem to make it a habit.

I do not clean on the weekends. I try to get enough cleaning done during the week so that the weekends are just family time.

Foods with hidden sugars would be granola/protein bars. I know they are probably loaded with sugar but I like to eat them for breakfast because they are quick and easy.

The mirror, I hate the mirror. I am getting to a point where I am noticing the aging. I try not to focus too much on it. For now I am choosing to ignore it and not let it get me down.

I have seen Mirror, Mirror and I thought it was ok. Snow White and the Huntsman I turned off in the first 30 minutes because I hated it.

oh you are soooo cute, but I have slight preference for the Evil Queen look. Great outfits

My reaction to the mirror changes daily;) Some days I am horrified, others I am happy with what I see. It is directly correlated to my exercise foremost, and nutrition a close second. I know exercise trumps diet for me because I've had periods when I ate well but couldn't exercise due to injury or a surgical recovery, and I did not think I looked as good. When I am on my game, exercise regularly and hard workouts at least 3 times a week, and eating well, I feel like I look significantly younger than those periods where stress/life/illness keeps me from everything that keeps me young:) I am definitely not as worried about appearance as some and particularly as I was years ago. One thing I believe contributes to my not letting it bother me is my husband. We have actually been together since high school, and I think to some extent that keeps us feeling young, we've been together almost 25 years total now (married 16). We've seen each other through highs lows, weight gains, losses etc. He is the funniest person I know and I like to say and crows feet or smile lines I get will be his fault so he can't complain about them:)

Bonus Question: To be honest, I am not trying that hard to combat the aging process. I probably should more and will regret it at some point, but it is a natural process and I don't see the point in fighting it. I don't fault those that do at all, but it just isn't a priority for me. I think keeping my body feeling young with exercise and diet is more important. My parents are the best example for me. They are 11 days apart in age, but look 15-20 years apart. He has never taken good care of himself, horrible diet, hatred of exercise. She has always been active and eaten a somewhat balanced diet. I definitely feel healthier at 40 than I did at 30, so I hope I have headed in the right direction.

Extra Bonus: I have only seen "Snow White and the Huntsman" and liked it. I enjoyed the different take on the story, I have not seen the sequel to that.

Hi everyone and happy Sunday! Just woke up from a 5 hour nap after the Disneyland Half Marathon - what an amazing experience! A year ago today was the Disneyland 5K (my first race as a new me) and I could barely run it. This weekend I managed to do 19.3 miles and kept up my usual pace with Rock n Roll races... so I'm very happy. I loved running through Disneyland and Angel Stadium - you got to run on the field! No complaints. It was an amazing race weekend and other than feeling exhausted... I FEEL SO AWESOME :D

While I've had some "down moments" the last few weeks with work, running the race this weekend helped get my mind back in order and I feel like I am starting to get over whatever it was holding me back mentally.

If anyone wants to do a Disney race, I think this is the one. However the challenge was a ... challenge. I woke up this morning with everything hurting. We've decided from now on (other than Princess 2017) that it'll be either the 10K or HM. Not both LOL.

Congratulations! What a change in a year - you have done so many races since that first 5k last September. So much accomplished in that year. Way to Go! The challenges are tough, I agree, but I am a bling freak, LOL! Angel Stadium was a highlight for me as well last year at Avengers, I had hit a point where my IT Band was acting up, and that stadium really rejuvenated me. Not sure if you have done a WDW challenge yet, but if not, I feel they are more exhausting than DL was due to the harder transportation logistics. That said, I've done it 3 times, so it can't be that bad ;)

Love the outfits! Great job getting it done! In my opinion, getting anywhere near a PR at a Disney challenge is a major accomplishment!

Quote of the Day

View attachment 192711
When I look in the mirror I'm totally confused as to how my Mother got in there. What cruel punishment. For my ripe old age of 60, I'm probably hanging together fairly well. My double chin/neck area is the most aging and right now my hair color is pretty close to my natural white which I struggle with every day. I cut it super short so I could bleach out the old color, I'm wanting to grow it back out and had wanted to get more length on before I start to put low lights back in, but I just can't take it any longer.

I've mentioned before that I get Juvederm injections in the corners of my mouth so I don't look crabby all the time, it's looking like I need to get a touch up already.

And somehow the arm that has the tattoo looks about 10 years younger than the other... It's my "cool kid" arm. I'm just a couple weeks away from getting the rest done. Yah!

Adding a couple things after reading other's posts. I brush my teeth with a whitening system, as I also think yellowing teeth are aging. And for face treatment products I've settled on high science, and pay way too much for it... The only thing I'm happy with is Perricone MD. I periodically try less expensive lines like Khiels or Philosophy, but always end up going back to Perricone... Thankfully I have my employee discount to help.

Plus I won't go sleeveless or wear shorts above the knee. As a matter of fact I may stop wearing shorts altogether so no one has to look at my Lilly white old lady legs.

Can you tell this has hit a nerve? I feel like I was in my 40's for two decades then all of a sudden turned 60. I still a little freaked out.

Last edited:

What darling nag outfits!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter