Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl2:Riiiiight. Such a victim. Most likely he just wasn’t qualified.
I didn't even know how to respond to that. The Civil Rights Movement and the Womens Movement made his life harder. I suppose all the people who supported better lives for those groups should have....what?

My values deserve tolerance because they are my values. Just like your values deserve tolerance because they are your values.

Not who you were responding to but...
Conservative/Traditional:
-believing in pro-life (not hindering access to abortions, but providing alternatives....increased access to BC, support for those in crisis, funding for foster care and adoptions)
-having religious beliefs (specifically Christian)
-believing that marriage is between man/woman (but not hindering those that choose to engage in a same-sex marriage/union, respecting their ability and choice of spouse, free will and all of that)
-believe that transitioning should only be done for those 18+...no hormone replacement, no puberty blockers for underage
-women's sports are for xx women
I'm curious then if you say you have your values but don't feel the need to hinder another person in their choices, how do you view those that say they have "conservative" values but are ARE willing to hinder others?

There was a lot of discrimination against Vietnam vets. It was very divisive time in our country. I was not alive then, but I have read a few history books.
I was alive then and do remember that. I had cousins who were drafted into that waste of life and they returned damaged. They should not have been called names when they returned.

She sounds racists against white males. Apparently heterosexual white males never have any obstacles in life. Tell that to my son with disabilities.
She doesn’t have kids either so she would understand being a parent to one either.
You know I'll see your son with disabilities when you see my gay grandson. He was born who he is and he deserves to live as himself. He deserves books in the library that have people like him in them, movies that show love as love, people that don't stare and whisper. He deserves inclusion and pride. I can wish those things for your son and I hope you can wish the same for my family.

‘Your intolerance of my intolerance is intolerable!’

This sums it up nicely. But...I will never understand why a small, but very loud group of people won't just let another group of people celebrate a marginalized group for one month. And it's really more like the first couple of weekends in June....that's it. But, because the media they watch has fired up the culture war on this topic, they seem to be positively tripping over grooming drag queens and newly gendered underage teens rolling off assembly lines somewhere. I just don't get it.

I know plenty of gay people....have em' in my family even....and yet I don't know a single drag queen or transperson. You have to go out of your way to find drag queens....I mean, they gather....at places....to entertain customers. Transpeople are just trying desperately to be who they are. In many cases, if they don't get to be that person, they take their life. I will just never for the life of me understand what makes people so angry about all of this. Unless it triggers them somehow for their own personal internal reasons.

No one should be made to feel guilty for being born a certain color. If you don't think that goes on in this country you don't have kids in school or college.
Do you have any examples of that "going on"? I mean I've heard it does, but I've never heard how. Are teachers flat out saying "if you're white, you should feel guilty of how minorities have been treated?"

Do you have any examples of that "going on"? I mean I've heard it does, but I've never heard how. Are teachers flat out saying "if you're white, you should feel guilty of how minorities have been treated?"

I'm not the OP, but I read of one person using the example that their tween child read a book in school about the first Black children to attend desegregated schools, and the protests and hate they encountered. Reading the book about how these kids were treated made the child feel sad and cry.

The mom interpreted this as the school making the child feel guilty about being white. Personally I interpret it as the child was having empathy for fellow humans suffering in difficult situations. I think it's okay for my kids to feel sad when they read and learn about the suffering of others, and I don't equate that sadness to guilt.

Yes, what exactly is "going on" out there? This poster wanted everyone to know that I don't have children, so I couldn't know how hard it is to raise a white child, or a white disabled child. The poster is right, I don't have kids, but I do have two sisters, my oldest sister (who is coincidentally gay), has an almost 17 year old boy who is on the autism spectrum. So I have someone close to me raising a child who she's not sure will ever be able to live independently, at least not in the short term (after college....where he will go).

So, what's going on in my sisters' families used to be concerns of how this boy would treated when the class parents found out he has two mommies......they live in the South, where this wasn't always a "chill" thing, but thankfully have moved to the Research Triangle area of NC years back where there are more educated/liberal/tolerant people. And along with that, the disability that they've had the good fortune to catch very early and have the resources to treat to the point that this kid definitely has a shot at independence when a poorer kid/family....would not.

I don't know, I come away from this thread just feeling a seething anger from a group that feels that they themselves are threatened....that things or a lifestyle or an environment is being taken away. I just see it as a culture that is evolving....and we're late compared to other parts of the world.

The anger is something I don't understand, and it's the part that makes me nervous. For the most part, people are staying in their lanes here...not getting overly nasty or aggressive. But I hear that seething anger under the surface and then my mind can't help but go to the 450 million guns we have floating around in our country. And so I had a sigh of relief when I woke up this morning and didn't see any mass shootings reported at a Pride event over the weekend. Some scuffles apparently, but no deaths. That's our nation now, and that doesn't make me angry, just very sad.

And why SHOULDN'T people feel bad about the way minorities have been treated? If you can read books/watch movies/listen to stories about slavery and NOT feel remorse/empathy, you should probably interrogate that. It's like watching Schindler's List and not feeling upset about the Holocaust.

But, back to Pride... didn't get anything for myself, but I got my friend two of the onesies for her infant twins, and my son the "I Love You 3000" shirt. 💖 And the mural at Epcot is awesome and HUGE.

I'm not the OP, but I read of one person using the example that their tween child read a book in school about the first Black children to attend desegregated schools, and the protests and hate they encountered. Reading the book about how these kids were treated made the child feel sad and cry.

The mom interpreted this as the school making the child feel guilty about being white. Personally I interpret it as the child was having empathy for fellow humans suffering in difficult situations. I think it's okay for my kids to feel sad when they read and learn about the suffering of others, and I don't equate that sadness to guilt.
We absolutely should feel sadness when we reflect on those times.

Although, I have attended two diversity trainings where white attendees were aggressively targeted and demanded to admit they are racist just because of the color of their skin. White fragility and all that. These things need to stop in the workplace.

There was a lot of discrimination against Vietnam vets. It was very divisive time in our country. I was not alive then, but I have read a few history books.
Well, I was alive then. And I am a Vietnam vet. I served because it was my duty. I was not welcomed home. I did my best not to live up to the stereotype of the deranged vet. But yes, the hostility towards us was real.

I have attended two diversity trainings where white attendees were aggressively targeted and demanded to admit they are racist just because of the color of their skin. White fragility and all that. These things need to stop in the workplace.
Isn’t everyone racist because of the color of their skin? It’s when hate, fear, and resentment show up because of that that it becomes a problem.

Well-meaning people used to say they look at someone and don’t see color. Which is not what they meant at all.

Speaking of disabilities, how would you feel if the government were to ban all books about disabled people because a certain group believes their children would become disabled reading such topic?
Of that they’d become “sad?”

I don't know, I come away from this thread just feeling a seething anger from a group that feels that they themselves are threatened....that things or a lifestyle or an environment is being taken away. I just see it as a culture that is evolving....and we're late compared to other parts of the world.
I'm not feeling that anger. Keep in mind, you can't "read" tone. And you MIGHT (key word) be feeling something that isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter