Pride month at Disney...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned Christmas and Halloween in another post but felt it wasn’t apples to apples comparing pride month to those holidays. Disney goes over the top for those because they are celebrated by most Americans. And they do monster merchandising as well as special events. There is no comparison. I felt that say July 4th and Easter were comparable because those are basically special treats and maybe a little merchandise holidays at Disney. Like Pride month. The difference is that 1. Pride gets a whole month and 2. The vast majority of people in America celebrate Easter (in at least a secular sense) and July 4th which is widely celebrated by almost all Americans. So it’s just weird is all. But whatever, as some posters have said it’s most likely a money thing so I guess I’ll just go with that.

I like to read different peoples take on things. It keeps me on my toes lol. I hope no one thinks it’s wrong to ask legitimate questions or give thoughtful opinions.
You're questioning that it's only a few days for 4th of July but a whole month for Pride because you object to the celebration of Pride Month seemingly. Me bringing in Halloween especially is that Disney has increased the timeframe in which they celebrate this at their parks over time despite Halloween being 1 day. The public has shown they wanted this.

With Christmas they have a very quick changeover to that before starting up with the decor (which I believe there can be trees up in other parks while MK still has Halloween lol). Disney does Candlelight Processional for more than a month 3 times each day. That seems like a large representation of retelling of Christmas. The public has shown they like being able to have this and having a good amount of opportunities to see it.

For decades Disney has unofficially hosted Gay Days. Throughout the year you can purchase Pride merchandise year round (and have been able to for years) but as time has gone on the public has shown they want more Pride representation (especially as the Community has expanded in both acceptance and our understanding of people) and so Disney has responded by increasing their efforts towards this especially concentrated during Pride Month. I anticipate this growing more as the years go TBH.

For Easter IIRC they begin Easter egg displays in the resorts in March this year although I think because the exact date of Easter varies this is more or less harder to pinpoint how long they have the displays up and how soon they get them up but they do try it appears to give enough time for those to be seen. Easter falls into that spring time period so it overlaps with more spring stuff.

When they had Muppets Great Moments in History at MK going on I felt that was aimed at celebrating American history. Year round in the American Pavilion the American Adventure attraction at Epcot showcases American history. Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square (which is themed after colonial America). Now is that strictly about 4th of July? I mean not exactly but rather year round considerations towards the formulation of the country, the triumphs and losses, the history of our country and more. Seems like if that is what someone is looking for out of 4th of July you have ample opportunity to do that. You can also ride Liberty Belle. Over at Disneyland you have Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

So respectfully this more or less feels like an objection to celebration of Pride month because of what that celebrates without consideration to other things Disney does, a picking and choosing.

How do you know this about the other poster you quoted? Are you implying that there are only two genders?

I know this because the other poster I quoted directly indicated they were transgender when they said "I'm heterosexual not cis"

If they are not cis, they are transgender. Because the opposite of cis is trans. So being not cis means being trans. It doesn't seem that difficult a concept.

No I am not implying there are only two genders at all, I'm not sure how you would get that. They could easily be trans non-binary as well.

I know this because the other poster I quoted directly indicated they were transgender when they said "I'm heterosexual not cis"
If they are not cis, they are transgender. Because the opposite of cis is trans. So being not cis means being trans. It doesn't seem that difficult a concept.
I get that you're hammering them on this, but it's getting a little ridiculous. I feel it's pretty obvious they used the incorrect terms for what they wanted to convey. If they did so on purpose, shame on them. If they did it on accident, hopefully they've learned.

I get that you're hammering them on this, but it's getting a little ridiculous. I feel it's pretty obvious they used the incorrect terms for what they wanted to convey. If they did so on purpose, shame on them. If they did it on accident, hopefully they've learned.

I didn't see the poster as hammering them....but at the same time, I get your point. What is the point of hammering our heads against the wall to try and change people who clearly don't want to be open their minds and hearts. Happy pride month everyone! I hope that it's fun and safe for all.

Whenever the mods actually get around to this thread, I ask that they lock it and don't make it "poof".

1) Locking it shows the subject has come up, degenerated, and shouldn't be brought up again. Making it disappear means someone else might start the conversation again.
2) I don't want to lose the likes I've gotten from the thread. (this is the more important reason :rotfl2: )
The mods take time before going poof. A thread of mine recently got deleted, and that was 5 days after I posted it and it was already on page 2.

The thread itself was pleasant but I used some words that are not allowed. Therefore: Poof!

This thread has more bickering and more agressive discussions than a Harry & Meghan thread.

I didn't see the poster as hammering them....but at the same time, I get your point. What is the point of hammering our heads against the wall to try and change people who clearly don't want to be open their minds and hearts. Happy pride month everyone! I hope that it's fun and safe for all.
Ignore is a great function. :)

No I am not implying there are only two genders at all, I'm not sure how you would get that. They could easily be trans non-binary as well.
Sorry. It’s just that it seems to me your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs contradict each other. Unless maybe, trans non-binary falls under the transgender umbrella? If so, is there a such thing as cis non-binary?

This reminds me of an exercise I once participated in. They had everyone line up shoulder to shoulder. Then they said, "OK. I'm going to read off a list of life circumstances. If one applies to you, take a step back. If more than one applies, take a step back for each one." Obviously I don't remember them all, but they included "Person of Color," "Cis female," "Transgender," as well as things like "Raised by a single parent," "Did not graduate from high school," and "Diagnosed with a disability." By the end of the exercise, a handful of men were still standing at the starting line, while most people were 1 to 4 steps back or more. Then the leader pointed to the opposite wall and said, "That's where you're trying to get to. That's success in life." We all looked around and realized just how much further some people had to go than others. It was a very profound moment.

I realize your post was a few pages back at this point, but I still wanted to comment. We did this exercise at work a few years ago - it was very eye opening. I guess I always knew that I had led a pretty charmed life, but this really cemented that. I barely moved off the starting line.

I realize your post was a few pages back at this point, but I still wanted to comment. We did this exercise at work a few years ago - it was very eye opening. I guess I always knew that I had led a pretty charmed life, but this really cemented that. I barely moved off the starting line.
I’ve done this one as well. Very impactful

As you mentioned being transgender, I'm wondering what about pride month bothers you so much?

I know a couple of people who don't like their birthdays celebrated or even acknowledged, so maybe it's like that.

If you are not cis, you are transgender. You mentioned you are not cis. So you must be transgender.
Do you think being transgender is a negative? You keep harassing that poster saying they are transgender, so it almost seems as if you are saying it to be derogatory. Kind of like the '90s-'00s "That's so gay!" or "You're gay!" to be a putdown.

There was someone who brought it up a couple pages ago (is it just LGBTQ+ now), but the latest I've seen is LGBTQIA2S+. This was what we were told in an inclusivity class a few years back. It might be out-of-date since more and more keeps getting added to the spectrum.

Do you think being transgender is a negative? You keep harassing that poster saying they are transgender, so it almost seems as if you are saying it to be derogatory. Kind of like the '90s-'00s "That's so gay!" or "You're gay!" to be a putdown.

Omg, no! I think being transgender and living life as the person you are is wonderful and something to be celebrated!

Sorry. It’s just that it seems to me your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs contradict each other. Unless maybe, trans non-binary falls under the transgender umbrella? If so, is there a such thing as cis non-binary?
No.

Cis = gender is the same as your biological sex
Trans = gender is not the same as your biological sex

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson you are probably not far off If I’m being honest. Some things that pride month represents I totally support and others not so much. It’s hard to reconcile that. Thanks for your well worded responses.
I found your questions to be in a genuine way :flower3: and likewise appreciate you for your thoughtful responses on your particular question :)

OK, you both got me thinking, and you're right. It's not cool to intentionally misgender someone, whether they're cis or trans, and whether or not they understand the word 'cis' or not, or whether they seem to be intentionally not understanding the word 'cis'. I was having a bit of fun at a choice in wording, and I didn't consider how that could make someone feel. To Ms. Minnie, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter