Pre-trip report November, 2015 Hershey to WDW

Just found your report. We are going in November too and I have been thinkng sbout doing a trip report but never have, so I thought I would try reading some to encourage me. We are also planning a year of Disney - more trips in 12 months than ever before. We usually go once a year but the last two years we went twice and this year I am hoping for 3 times. Our first trip is 11/16/15. I renewed our AP's that expire on 11/12/15 (not the best planning I know- but thst is a long story) this trip is our first ever without ANY of our kids! Second is 1/16/16 with all of our kids and third is 11/5/16 to get a final third trip out of the AP's. Hope it all works out. Love reading about your plans, sounds like a fabulous trip for you!

I do just want to quickly mention that we've stayed at the All-Stars three times now (11 days at the Music in October 2013, 8 days at the Sports in May 2014 and 2 days at the Movies in September 2014), plus are headed back there this November, and we've never had the slightest bit of a problem with buses. People like to hate on the All-Stars so much on this website, and bus system seems to be the one thing they attack the most.

The amount of times we've had to share a bus is disproportionately small to the amount of times we've had our own. It's more frequent for it to share for AK because it's right next door, typically for non busy times. I can't really think of times we've had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus to come by around peak times, 10-15 minutes during dead times (but that's not an All-Star or values thing, we've waited that long for POFQ during midday breaks if you've just missed a bus). Also, bus sharing is definitely not a mark of low quality for a resort group - we've seen a lot of the Deluxes share with one another (Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin, most of the MK resorts as well are interchangeable in sharing). Sometimes a POFQ bus will share with POR as well.

Also, the Pop and AoA lines are always the furthest away you can get from any park entrance, aka the very last at the very end of all bus stops. The line for Pop always seems excessively long to me. And in May, after spending our last night at MK, our friend who was meeting with her mom at AoA was still waiting for a bus (and easily waited another 20-30 minutes after that) by the time we were settled in our rooms.

I mean, obviously resort preferences vary from person to person - and I'm not well versed with sports competitions, so I couldn't say if there's something going on in January to that effect. But if the bus system is what is getting you down on the All-Stars, and it's based on Dis reports and not personal experience, don't let it stop you. The Sports now feels as much like home to us as the French Quarter does :)

Totally fair point. We've never tried the All Stars buses as we've only stayed there for one night. Most of our thoughts do stem from rumor and suppositions. We have been fine with Pop though. We usually grab whatever bus comes first, Pop or AoA and if AoA, then we just walk across bridge to Pop. This trip is AoA for first two nights which I am super excited about. However, truth be told, I am a total fan of having your own car. Ever since we rented a car back during our May 2014 trip, I am a total convert to having your own car!! :)

Just found your report. We are going in November too and I have been thinkng sbout doing a trip report but never have, so I thought I would try reading some to encourage me. We are also planning a year of Disney - more trips in 12 months than ever before. We usually go once a year but the last two years we went twice and this year I am hoping for 3 times. Our first trip is 11/16/15. I renewed our AP's that expire on 11/12/15 (not the best planning I know- but thst is a long story) this trip is our first ever without ANY of our kids! Second is 1/16/16 with all of our kids and third is 11/5/16 to get a final third trip out of the AP's. Hope it all works out. Love reading about your plans, sounds like a fabulous trip for you!

Thanks so much for joining in!! :flower:

We started out with one trip per year, and then two and now look at us! Soon to be AP holders! We will probably overlap with you for January too! We are going 14th to 18th.

HI all! I know it has been forever since I updated but it is getting so close I can taste it. I just need to finish two decisions at work before I go and I will feel set. So, it seems like a good time to go over our plans. Horror of horrors, I have a fairly big meeting the day we are planning on leaving. So, I plan on wearing the dreaded suit to work and then changing to jump in the car. Nigel and I are lucky enough to work in the same building, so we are planning right now to leave straight from work on Friday. We will drive until we need to sleep or press on to Orlando! We'll see. As Nigel said above, we do have a reservation for a room at the Clarion, which seems nice. I know that Nigel is still holding out hope for something actually on Disney property, but I think we should save the money and stick with the Clarion. We'll see who wins this dispute...

Also on the possible list is seeing SPECTRE at the AMC Fork & Screen theater at Disney Springs. The latest James Bond looks pretty cool. In any case, we will need to upgrade our current tickets to APs at some point when we get into town. Then, we check into AoA on Sunday. We have Biergarten reservations on Sunday for lunch. So, as planned, we will make a game day decision on when we want to use the pool. I feel fairly confident that we will have decent enough weather to swim at AoA for our stay there. We do have some FPs for Sunday, so hopefully we can fit those around the Biergarten ADR since it appears Soarin' will be down as of early January. Other than that, we are still good on most of our plans. V&A is still on the list, but we might give up the California Grill on Wednesday. Other than that, I am really looking forward to our trip. *Christmas taping notwithstanding.

Okay, I will admit it. I am still kinda miffed about the Xmas parade taping. On one hand, it is a once in a lifetime experience. On the other hand, what the hell are they doing taping the freaking Xmas parade during my vacation!! A vacation that is already impeded by FOUR party nights. Even a week or so after the announcement, I find myself still annoyed. The Xmas parade has traditionally been taped in early December, and all of a sudden, I have to deal with it??!! Sorry, but that irks me! And to announce it this late? Are you telling me that you haven't been in contact with your celebrity guests and hosts before 30 days out??? Okay, I am trying to be okay with this, but I still find it upsetting.

So, that is my update for the time being. I have to say I am really excited for our first road trip down. Hopefully, everything works out.

I am looking forward to see a little James Bond action while in WDW. I am pretty sure the last first run motion picture I saw in a theater at WDW was Joe Versus the Volcano in 1990. I hoping I enjoy the Bond movie more than Joe. It was an okay movie, but not great.

i am not going anywhere near the parade taping.. I do believe that it is really cool it will be going on.. YET that is going to be insane with all the people!!!

I hope all your cars are sitting well! I have to have mine checked out before we leave too! i agree.. Having a car is wonderful!!!

Congrats on your VETERAN status! LOL!!!

I hope something opens up for you.. Although i am SHOCKED everything is booked for our week... I want to cry.

Yeah. I would like to stay on property for Saturday night. However, I am resigning myself to the Clarion. I know I am being a boob about it. The Clarion is close to WDW, it looks nice from the website and reviews, and it's one night. We're probably be too pooped to enjoy the nice Mouse magic anyway. I will likely live.

I just checked again and the situation has become worse. Pretty much we can stay in a Deluxe suite for what might as well be listed as a zillion dollars or stay off site one night.

My only thought is that maybe all the parade folks are taking up a lot of rooms, and the parks won't be super crowded? I keep telling myself that at least.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for joining in!! :flower:

We started out with one trip per year, and then two and now look at us! Soon to be AP holders! We will probably overlap with you for January too! We are going 14th to 18th.
We are happy that we became AP holders two years ago. Plus, we are DVC members too, so that is another reason we know we will keep going back. Last year my oldest DD worked at WDW in the DCP so the AP came in handy visiting her too. Her birthday is in January when we are there so she is really looking forward to spending her birthday in WDW and it will also be her first time back since finishing her DCP.
I agree sbout the parade taping! Our trip had been booked a week earlier 11/6-11/13 although I was bummed to miss food and wine - I don't mind missing the parade taping.

My only thought is that maybe all the parade folks are taking up a lot of rooms, and the parks won't be super crowded? I keep telling myself that at least.

I totally understand i would want to stay on property too..
Yet a couple of months ago i tried to switch my resort. there was NOTHING available!!! can you believe that? Not even a value! I tried them all.... i do believe we are in for some heavy crowds. Since when did November become like June/August?!?

I totally understand i would want to stay on property too..
Yet a couple of months ago i tried to switch my resort. there was NOTHING available!!! can you believe that? Not even a value! I tried them all.... i do believe we are in for some heavy crowds. Since when did November become like June/August?!?

It is so bizarre to me that everything is so booked!! I feel like I can only chalk it up to random coincidence??

I actually found out my old law school roommate and her husband are going to WDW our exact dates and when she called Disney, she couldn't get on property (for a non-exorbitant price) at all! Now, I don't know when she called but that is just insane!

Ahem...*clears throat*

IT'S SINGLE DIGIT DANCE DAY!! party:

Although I feel like I can't even think about it till next week. Barely packed anything (speaking for me, not my totally together husband), and we still have to get through Steelers game this Sunday. That's a three hour drive there, watch game, and three hours back. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain on us but I'm not hopeful! How am I supposed to pack my ponchos when I'll have to use them this Sunday!!! :laughing:

It is so bizarre to me that everything is so booked!! I feel like I can only chalk it up to random coincidence??

I actually found out my old law school roommate and her husband are going to WDW our exact dates and when she called Disney, she couldn't get on property (for a non-exorbitant price) at all! Now, I don't know when she called but that is just insane!

OMG! see what i mean?!?! I cannot believe the crowds!!! this is worse then summer! That's it no more November for us.
I do want to go in January one year?!? I am shocked everything is booked.

IT'S SINGLE DIGIT DANCE DAY!!

MaryPoppinsChimneyDance.gif

Let's dance on the rooftops! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How am I supposed to pack my ponchos when I'll have to use them this Sunday!!!

I cannot agree with this more.. Than again.. I have SEVERAL of them.. a set in my car. home. packed. Ya know us!!! HA HA HA HA

We leave in a week for our drive down to WDW. Our vehicle of choice for the journey, a Honda Pilot, is in the shop with a transmission issue. Apparently, the new part for the busted bit is being overnight shipped from California for repair tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll be fixed and no more problems will arise so I am not paranoid during the entire trip waiting for the check engine light, and blinking green "D" on the gear shift coming on during the trip. It's warranty to work (extended warranty I love you) on the other hand we are getting new tires too. Hopefully, this is the automotive glitch for the trip and we're have new rubber to boot.

It's good to know about it now! So happy you were able to have it fixed and NEW TIRES! Silly as it sounds makes such a difference!

Now you know you will have a wonderful and safe drive!!!

Guys!!!! We are on the road!!!

Left work a little before 5 pm and heading to Charlotte! I'll try to pop in and give some on the road updates. Woo hoo, this is happening!

We ended up stopping in Statesville about 40 miles north of Charlotte. We had a hotel recommendation from a friend and stopping before Charlotte gave us more sleep time. It was probably the best decision to stop overnight since we had both worked full days before driving. The drive went well although the most traffic we had was surprisingly local.

We were back on the road by 6:22 am, and as of right now, we should be in Disney in 8 and a half hours! Raining right now which is no fun, but it makes Nigel happy for our new tires!

Can't wait to hear more! Hopefully you all made it down to Disney safe and sound. How was the Clarion or did you all manage to find a resort on property at the last minute?

I think the November crowds are being driven by the Osborn lights and it being the last year for them. I have heard of lots of people planning last minute, short trips down there to see the lights one last time.

Hopefully it won't be do bad for you folks!

Lynn

Hope you are having a great time! I tried to get the rain out of here in Charlotte on Saturday as you passed through, but my magic didn't work!! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter