Postal code numbers to use in zipcode at gas stations?

Spotthecat

Mouseketeer
Does anyone remember the trick at gas stations in the US...where you enter the numbers in your postal code and add zeros or something to "make up" your zipcode at gas stations in the US? I remember something vague about using this trick at Legoland last time when redeeming our email voucher tickets at the machines at the entrance...but can't quire remember the trick anymore.

This works for ordering groceries online as well! We had to use this trick when ordering through Von's for our DL trip.

oops error post, sorry helps if you read the ENTIRE question. I missed the part about using a credit card, i was referring to setting up accounts for loyalty programs like Earl of Sammie, Blaze pizza etc

Last edited:

OR if you're from the right generation (or in my case, have KIDS from that generation)

90210 :P

But if I'm being honest i also have the one for Disney memorized

I seem to remember there being an issue with my credit card and it wouldn't go through with a random zip code.

I seem to remember there being an issue with my credit card and it wouldn't go through with a random zip code.

sorry helps if you read the ENTIRE question. I missed the part about using a credit card, i was referring to setting up accounts for loyalty programs like Earl of Sammie, Blaze pizza etc

Yeah, apparently the trick is the numbers of your postal code and two zeros, so if your postal code is, say for example: S5A 2P8, then you would use 52800.
One thing to check is that the zip code actually exists (do a google search of zip code 52800 for example). There is no zip code for my postal + 00, and the trick doesn't always for for it, so I then use postal + 01. Still works fine.

The postal code trick should work with your Visa or Mastercard, but doesn't seem to work for all gas stations. But you need to use your correct postal code numbers. The reason isn't just to fool the US system, but so your issuer can make sure you are the cardholder using the card. So wrong numbers may not work when they check your account.

Some gas stations will check for a valid zip code and not forward the auth if there isn't one, but you can't just use any zip code because your bank checks those numbers against your address. If you're finding yourself at gas stations that aren't working, either change brands or gas stations or go in to pay. Sucks, but that's cross border reality.

Last edited:
I'll share another tip.... I like to buy gas at Costco.....

In the USA, the Costco's like Visa.... this changed in September last year. I am able to buy gas with the Canadian Costco Mastercard. I can confirm this in Oregon and Washington.

No zipcode needed.

There was also the classic zip code from those old 80's "order this from Tina, our friendly operator".

14072 Grand Island New York :)

I don't know the tricks as I am not Canadian, but if you are using it to buy gas, don't try a zip code trick more than once.

Soon after I moved, I went to get gas, I put in my old zip not thinking...I did this twice at a gas station and even though I then went inside, the attendant told me that he could not take that card at all because I had locked it out of the system.

Anyhow, I would try the trick once, and then just walk in the gas station. The attendant should be able to help you.

I think the important thing to remember here is that past performance is no indicator of future success. The old fake postal code (90210) used to work often enough but now rarely does. This is because the card authorization mechanisms used by various payment processors get constantly updated to stay ahead of fraud. The old add two zeros to your PC numbers trick started with one provider, but did not work with all (I think it was Shell where I first used this one). Like @starvenger I learned that with some processors (and different merchants all use different processors with different rules), your "made up" zip did have to be a real zip - in my case I started adding "02" to mine, because "01" didn't exist either. My fake zip is actually in Harrisburg PA. Now many providers have added this validation trick into their systems, and they are actually checking the first 3 digits of the zip against your Canadian PC, so it does need to be correct.

I did notice maybe 2 years ago now that gas pumps in regions frequented by Canadians (upper NYS) often sport signs (professional signs, not hand written) advising us to use the "00" trick, so we know it was a big enough issue for the processors to handle properly. Since that time I have found that now "00" works almost always, and if it doesn't, then "02" will often work. It seems some providers still check for a valid zip before they check to see that if it is a Canadian account, and then pass the second test.

I've had really good success with US gas stations by using the 3 numbers of my postal code, followed by 00 with my Chase Bank Amazon VISA.

For example:
Postal Code N6C 1K8 would be 6 1 8 0 0

Gas station your zip code has to match the credit card to pay at the pump. A random zip code isn’t going to work. You can just go inside and pay inside instead of the pump. You can also say you want 20 bucks on pump 4 inside and pay with your card so it’s only one trip inside. The pump shuts off at 20 bucks.

I've also used the digits from the postal code plus '00' suffix many times and it does seem to work at most gas (all?) stations (I don't remember the last time it didn't work). In fact I think it's getting much more accepted (I think we've been using the "trick" for a while and I don't think it was nearly as accepted before).

It does have appear to have to match your actual billing postal code (about one week ago, my wife entered one digit wrong and it was rejected but after correcting the "fake" zip code, the card was approved).

As others have said, you can also just go inside and ask them to pre-charge a specific amount though. And you don't have to give the right amount either; it will only charge what you actually use (i.e. we drive a motor home which has a large tank (100US gallons) so depending on the price per gallon and how empty it is, I'll just go inside and pre-authorize for $250 or $300. If I only put in $180, it will only charge that even if it was pre-authorized for more). You do not need to go inside to tell them the actual amount.

We also use our postal code numbers followed by 00 and if it doesn't work, we add 01 instead. Works about 95% of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter