Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

We had the worst boarding positions yesterday for our flight, B51 and B52. This was checking in at the 24 hour mark. Crazy to think that many people bought EBCI.
In December 2021 I had B60 for a late flight out of Vegas back home, it happens. Guy who was B59 had made a comment "guess I was one second faster than you, I did it exactly on the dot" which I did as well

A point of reference for anyone with a companion fare and no A-List priority. I had purchased my ticket when it first went on sale, and added EBCI. I received a promotional companion fare that I was able to use starting on Jan 4th. I added a companion to my existing ticket, without early bird. This morning for our PVD - MCO flight check in I received A31, and my companion received A32 when she checked in.

A point of reference for anyone with a companion fare and no A-List priority. I had purchased my ticket when it first went on sale, and added EBCI. I received a promotional companion fare that I was able to use starting on Jan 4th. I added a companion to my existing ticket, without early bird. This morning for our PVD - MCO flight check in I received A31, and my companion received A32 when she checked in.
Your companion if on your same reservation number should be given sequential boarding positions (excluding Business Select).

Your companion if on your same reservation number should be given sequential boarding positions (excluding Business Select).
In my experience, my companion has always had a different reservation number. I have also always purchased EBCI for my companion, but there recently was a banner on the SW website that specifically said that companion pass holders can now board together with their companions EXCEPT if the companion pass holder:
1. Purchased a Business Select fare
2. Purchased Upgraded Boarding
3. Added the Companion after they had been assigned a boarding position
4. Changed a flight on their day of travel
5. Was impacted by a flight delay or cancellation

I took a screen shot and was told by a SW rep on the phone to show that to the gate agent if there were any issues. (She had no idea this was the case). I am still up in the air on whether it is worth it to chance it or not!

In my experience, my companion has always had a different reservation number. I have also always purchased EBCI for my companion, but there recently was a banner on the SW website that specifically said that companion pass holders can now board together with their companions EXCEPT if the companion pass holder:

I took a screen shot and was told by a SW rep on the phone to show that to the gate agent if there were any issues. (She had no idea this was the case). I am still up in the air on whether it is worth it to chance it or not!
It is now a published benefit and has been operated this way for 9 months or so now. The GA isn't going to be able to do anything for you if the system screws it up during the check-in and boarding number assignment process. I would certainly not consider it chancing it to not purchase EBCI for a companion. I would expect it to go as expected and some compensation from SW if they screw it up.

There are reasons why companion could be on a separate reservation and it actually used to be how it was. SWA never allowed the companion to be on the same reservation, your companion never got carried over benefits like A-list, your companion couldn't board with you.

BUT SWA has changed pretty much all of that first in informal policy (like allowing companion to board with you) and then via computer systems. Which is the reasons you are showing. Now companions largely are on same reservation numbers.

I qualified my comment to the PP by saying "if on your same reservation" because if for any reason you are not then the sequential boarding isn't guaranteed for companion and yes like the list above also not guaranteed as they alter the boarding position methods.

More or less I was trying to explain why for the PP their companion received the immediate boarding position after them.

There are reasons why companion could be on a separate reservation and it actually used to be how it was. SWA never allowed the companion to be on the same reservation, your companion never got carried over benefits like A-list, your companion couldn't board with you.

BUT SWA has changed pretty much all of that first in informal policy (like allowing companion to board with you) and then via computer systems. Which is the reasons you are showing. Now companions largely are on same reservation numbers.

I qualified my comment to the PP by saying "if on your same reservation" because if for any reason you are not then the sequential boarding isn't guaranteed for companion and yes like the list above also not guaranteed as they alter the boarding position methods.

More or less I was trying to explain why for the PP their companion received the immediate boarding position after them.
This is very interesting. I have had a companion pass for years (I am not A-list), and my companion has never been on the same reservation. Even on the one I had to call into change last week (would not let me change a flight online) the agent got the change made, asked if I wanted to add my companion, and did so. This was the SW agent that was unaware of the sequential boarding rule - she added my companion and we again are on separate reservations.

This is very interesting. I have had a companion pass for years (I am not A-list), and my companion has never been on the same reservation. Even on the one I had to call into change last week (would not let me change a flight online) the agent got the change made, asked if I wanted to add my companion, and did so. This was the SW agent that was unaware of the sequential boarding rule - she added my companion and we again are on separate reservations.
Same and I'm always a-list or priority a-list. Companions are always a seperate reservation number, makes it a pain when you have to change or reprice a flight. It wasn't until last year that everyone I booked with me started to be able to board at the same time as me after check in.

They are still connected together in the system whereas before they were not. Changing flights can always cause issues usually why people recommend not adding companion until you're done making changes or getting flight credits back.

I just flew 1/27, 1/28 and 2/1 as a companion. Before SWA changed things everything was separate but now when my husband booked my flight months after booking his I could see all his details and we were connected together in their system. Before it acted like 2 completely different separate reservations completely different from each other.

They are still connected together in the system whereas before they were not. Changing flights can always cause issues usually why people recommend not adding companion until you're done making changes or getting flight credits back.

I just flew 1/27, 1/28 and 2/1 as a companion. Before SWA changed things everything was separate but now when my husband booked my flight months after booking his I could see all his details and we were connected together in their system. Before it acted like 2 completely different separate reservations completely different from each other.
Actually, you should add your companion immediately so they have a seat if the flight sells out. My husband's information has always showed in his SW account.

Actually, you should add your companion immediately so they have a seat if the flight sells out. My husband's information has always showed in his SW account.
You're absolutely right a flight can sell out but when you add is all up to your to your comfort level. There are reasons why waiting is better such as the hassle of having to cancel the companion ticket to get a price adjustment. So if you're wanting to make adjustments to your flight advice would be to wait it out. Of course if you don't plan on making adjustments add whenever. We generally haven't added companion immediately but don't book last minute either. If you're booking on release day 6 or 5 months in advance no real advantage to adding companion right then and there.

Friday at 8:40 a.m. on the dot. Pre-load your info on the check-in box on the app and be fast hitting the buttons when the clock flips!

will I be able to add how many bags I need to be checked in, right?

Once I check in,I will have a E ticket I assume. Do I just go to the TSA with that eticket then? My family is travelling with me, and I bought early bird check in for 2 of my kids. better to just print a ticket when I get to the airport since we will be on different boarding groups, right?

You don't add bags when checking in on the app. You'll do that in person when at the airport for the flight. If you want printed boarding passes, you can do it then or print them at home. I just use the e-ticket on my app at TSA and have never had an issue.

So for the companion pass.... I've had one for many years now, and noticed this change... (in the past months) so I and my companion have 2 different booking conf. #'s, and checking in at 24 hrs, each is done separately. But unlike in the past, the system seems to "save" a slot for my companion,no matter which boarding # I get, the CP (checkin after I checkin) will get the one directly ahead of mine. SO if I get B9,my CP will get B8. This is how it works now. It's linked to my res.,but each of us has our own confirmation #.

Once I check in,I will have a E ticket I assume. Do I just go to the TSA with that eticket then? My family is travelling with me, and I bought early bird check in for 2 of my kids. better to just print a ticket when I get to the airport since we will be on different boarding groups, right?
Majority of passengers use their phones these days for it's truly very very common. Some airports all you do is show your ID (like my home airport presently), other airports you still need to provide your ID and have your boarding pass scanned for TSA.

For TSA there is a device that you set your phone face down with the boarding pass on your phone screen that reads it. You need to make sure your brightness setting on your phone is set up high.

When you board the plane the gate agents will scan your boarding pass on your phone, again make sure your brightness setting is up.

For us what we do is on the SWA app once we check in and get our boarding pass we take a screen shot of that and use that for TSA and boarding the plane. Then all you have to do is go into your phone's pictures to retrieve it without worrying about app connectivity.

Majority of passengers use their phones these days for it's truly very very common. Some airports all you do is show your ID (like my home airport presently), other airports you still need to provide your ID and have your boarding pass scanned for TSA.

For TSA there is a device that you set your phone face down with the boarding pass on your phone screen that reads it. You need to make sure your brightness setting on your phone is set up high.

When you board the plane the gate agents will scan your boarding pass on your phone, again make sure your brightness setting is up.

For us what we do is on the SWA app once we check in and get our boarding pass we take a screen shot of that and use that for TSA and boarding the plane. Then all you have to do is go into your phone's pictures to retrieve it without worrying about app connectivity.
that is smart. thanks.

so you select on the app how many bags you are checking in? the fact I am checking in bags, does it mean I still need to check in at the counter to drop the bag?

How old are your kids? Everybody needs their own boarding pass. So either print them at the airport or make sure they have their eticket on their own phones. It gives you an option how you want to get the ticket, you can get it via text as well. So you could text it to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter