Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

This is the situation we are in. I think we have decided to go with another airline for our flight from DCA to MCO on 11/2 because the 6:15am flight is too early and the 12:30 is too late. However, do you SW experts know if SW typically keeps the same flight schedule for each day of the week? We want to fly home after our cruise on Friday 11/8 and SW has a direct MCO - DCA flight at 12:30 which would be perfect timing assuming they have the same schedule as 11/1. Is it safe to assume the flight would be around the same time as the week before? I would be willing to wait until June to book the return flight.
Within a specific scheduling block? I would say yes on average they stay the same (on average key word). The difference is seasonal changes can happen.

For example from April through October (edited: corrected month) we've checked and my husband's flights from LA area to KC change 3 different times in terms of the flight time. Right now he lands in KC at 1:25am, another seasonal shift has him landing at 1:55am and another seasonal shift has him landing at 12:55am. Flights going back to LA also shift though I don't know the times off the top of my head.

TBH it's just hard to be able to give concrete answer that the flight times won't change for you between 11/2 and 11/8. They may absolutely stay the same or they may change. I know that makes it incredibly difficult to make a decision; it's unfortunate that they've extended the release so long.

Last edited:
I thought as long as there was an empty seat on the flight, you could add your companion; it doesn’t matter what class of service you booked in. At least that’s been my understanding.

I thought as long as there was an empty seat on the flight, you could add your companion; it doesn’t matter what class of service you booked in. At least that’s been my understanding.
That was my understanding as well. But after multiple phone calls escalating to a supervisor and manager, I found out the hard expensive way that there had to be a seat available in the fare that you booked.

That was my understanding as well. But after multiple phone calls escalating to a supervisor and manager, I found out the hard expensive way that there had to be a seat available in the fare that you booked.
Hmm that does not line up with my experience. I've been added onto a flight where WGA fares were sold out when that was the fare my husband booked in the first place. I don't *think* the program has changed though it could have since my last flight as a Companion in Dec 2017.

Companion pass question:

Can you only have 1 companion booked at a time?

Here’s my dilemma: Travel booked June 20-28. DH is my companion. We’re all set.

I now want to take a trip with DD June 9-13. I didn’t realize I could only have 1 trip booked at a time using the pass.

Would this strategy work? Cancel DH as companion (leave my flight alone since I paid with points). Add DD as companion and take trip June 9-13. After that trip is complete, add DH back on.

Travel dates can’t be changed, so that’s not an option.
According to SWA: "Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing his/her designated Companion."

Hmm that does not line up with my experience. I've been added onto a flight where WGA fares were sold out when that was the fare my husband booked in the first place. I don't *think* the program has changed though it could have since my last flight as a Companion in Dec 2017.
I’ve never run into this issue before.... but I’ve also not seen sooo many sold out flights either. This whole max 8 issue has really changed things up! I couldn’t add it myself. So I called and the cs agent couldn’t add him either, kept saying due to the wga fare being sold out. So called back later hoping maybe if I got someone different they could do it.... nope. So then spoke to a supervisor and later a manager. No one could ( or would) add him. I was offered to change my flight to an later one the same day at no additional fee.... but I was flying by myself with my 2 year old. I needed magical express to get my luggage. So I just paid for the flight the next day instead

This is directly from SW website:

Companion Pass travel has no blackout dates or seat restrictions.

There is no mention of fare restrictions.
I just wanted to let you know my experience at trying to add it 13 days out. Since your trip is even less time in between, I didn’t want you to get stuck like I did. I don’t know why it was an issue for my flight.... but it was. Obviously others have had a different experience, thankfully! So hopefully yours works out in your favor as well :)

I know for me, next time I book and I’m not adding the companion right away, I will book their flight on points. Then when I can add the companion pass I will cancel and get the points back. Worry it for my peace of mind.

I just checked the flight schedules and the release date for flights up to Jan 5th have been pushed out until June 20th now

I don't like that. My fear now is for the following release after that, which will probably cover Feb 2020 (we need President's week flights), it could end up being at the end of August while we are on a cruise and we can't book the flights. If that happens, may have to splurge for WiFi for the first time.

I need some advice regarding my upcoming companion pass dilemma as previously noted. All of it is a gamble! DH and I are scheduled to go to DEN June 20-28. I booked this roundtrip flight with points (less than 23,000 RT, non-stop flights from Pittsburgh). Same flights now are more than double the points (which I don't have). I don't want to spend $800 to get us out there (this is the price of the Anytime fare roundtrip). I realize this is fully refundable, but I'd hate for this to be my only option.

So here's what I'm thinking: Remove DH as companion (but keep the flight that I booked for less than 23,000 points). Add DD for the trip to MCO June 9-13. I'll pay cash for that flight and she'll travel as my companion. Flights are reasonable priced.

Once that trip is over, remove DD as companion and add DH. With any luck, I add him to my existing reservation. If that flight is unavailable, I cancel by original flight and points are deposited back into my account. I than rebook (there are 3 non-stops from PIT to DEN and back), but I might have to settle for less than convenient flight times.

Thoughts?

I need some advice regarding my upcoming companion pass dilemma as previously noted. All of it is a gamble! DH and I are scheduled to go to DEN June 20-28. I booked this roundtrip flight with points (less than 23,000 RT, non-stop flights from Pittsburgh). Same flights now are more than double the points (which I don't have). I don't want to spend $800 to get us out there (this is the price of the Anytime fare roundtrip). I realize this is fully refundable, but I'd hate for this to be my only option.

So here's what I'm thinking: Remove DH as companion (but keep the flight that I booked for less than 23,000 points). Add DD for the trip to MCO June 9-13. I'll pay cash for that flight and she'll travel as my companion. Flights are reasonable priced.

Once that trip is over, remove DD as companion and add DH. With any luck, I add him to my existing reservation. If that flight is unavailable, I cancel by original flight and points are deposited back into my account. I than rebook (there are 3 non-stops from PIT to DEN and back), but I might have to settle for less than convenient flight times.

Thoughts?
Take a look at what those flights look like right now for next week. Glancing at them I don’t see any sold out so you might be just fine. Of course June travel will probably be a bit busier than May.....but hopefully not a huge difference

I don't like that. My fear now is for the following release after that, which will probably cover Feb 2020 (we need President's week flights), it could end up being at the end of August while we are on a cruise and we can't book the flights. If that happens, may have to splurge for WiFi for the first time.
That will likely not be true. Historical trends indicate that a subsequent release of flights through early March should follow this release in approx. 1 month. Here are each of the past 2 years:
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
Also, given the fact that this release was pushed back, it's possible the next release will come even sooner if they get long range plans figured out.

I just noticed that a message is now displayed when clicking on the flight number hyperlink, addressing aircraft type:

*Boeing 737-MAX8 Aircraft are currently grounded by the FAA. Until the MAX8 aircraft returns to service, Southwest plans to operate MAX8 flights with a different aircraft type. Flight schedules and aircraft type remain subject to change per the Contract of Carriage.

I got us checked in for our flights tomorrow (we had EB) and our boarding positions are A 21-27 on our first flight and A 32-38 on our second. Remind me who all will be in the boarding positions ahead of us?

I got us checked in for our flights tomorrow (we had EB) and our boarding positions are A 21-27 on our first flight and A 32-38 on our second. Remind me who all will be in the boarding positions ahead of us?

Preboard Passengers (numbers can vary wildly from flight to flight)
A1-15 = Business Select (usually not more than a few people total)
A16 up to your A numbers should be one person per number.

Preboard Passengers (numbers can vary wildly from flight to flight)
A1-15 = Business Select (usually not more than a few people total)
A16 up to your A numbers should be one person per number.

So from our tiny Des Moines airport, we're pretty likely to have only 6-10 people boarding ahead of us. :thumbsup2

Medical preboards/ passengers who need extra help down the jetway. Then A 1- 15. They announce A listers then too, but AFAIK, they would all have those 1-15 numbers, unless they were a late check in. That would be a very small number, if any, so don’t worry about that. Then it’s A 16- 30 & A 31 - 60. Family boarding doesn’t happen until after the As. You will be in good shape!

So from our tiny Des Moines airport, we're pretty likely to have only 6-10 people boarding ahead of us. :thumbsup2

Maybe, but I wouldn’t count on that. Medical preboards can include several people. Each preboard can take 1 person with them. And I have seen whole families with young children preboard too. Not as family boarding, but as medical preboards. You just never know how many people will preboard. The 1-15 slots are also available for an upgrade purchase at the gate too. So if someone got a B or C, they can pay to upgrade to those spots. Since they started this, I have seen more people in that group. You will still be fine, but I would expect more than 6 people in front of you.

Dumb question time.

If we have to go to the counter to check our luggage anyway, can I just have them print our boarding passes at that time as well? If I plan to do that, can they look us up by name or do I need our confirmation number in hand?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter