• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

There's no need to buy the ticket for your husband. Once you qualify for CP, you can add him on.

I have 2 CPs in our family this year and we never add them right away because then, if prices/points go down, we have to call to change instead of doing it ourselves online. I usually add them once I see WGA is sold out for the flight we are taking, although I know other people push it much closer.
This makes sense, thanks. Just curious, why wait for WGA to be sold out? Does that give the companion a better boarding position when all that's left is the higher priced tickets?

This makes sense, thanks. Just curious, why wait for WGA to be sold out? Does that give the companion a better boarding position when all that's left is the higher priced tickets?
If you wait until the whole flight is sold out, you can't add the companion. But, as soon as you add the companion, all changes have to be made on the phone instead of online.

So, for me, I'm comfortable leaving the companion off for a while to potentially recapture points if price goes down. But, once WGA sells out 1) I worry about the whole flight selling out and 2) it's extraordinarily unlikely I'm going to see a points drop. That's when I add the companions.

There's no benefit difference in which seat a companion is assigned based on when they are added to the reservation. If you book WGA, WGA+, Anytime, add EBCI, or are A list as the primary ticket holder, your companion will be checked in sequentially with you.

If you book Business Select, your boarding position does *not* carry over to your companion, who will get whatever the next position is at their 24 hour check in. You can either 1) hope that there's still A 1-15 available to purchase once he's checked in or 2) book yourself one of the lower ticket levels such that you know you'll both board sequentially, even if it's later in the boarding order.

If you wait until the whole flight is sold out, you can't add the companion. But, as soon as you add the companion, all changes have to be made on the phone instead of online.

So, for me, I'm comfortable leaving the companion off for a while to potentially recapture points if price goes down. But, once WGA sells out 1) I worry about the whole flight selling out and 2) it's extraordinarily unlikely I'm going to see a points drop. That's when I add the companions.

There's no benefit difference in which seat a companion is assigned based on when they are added to the reservation. If you book WGA, WGA+, Anytime, add EBCI, or are A list as the primary ticket holder, your companion will be checked in sequentially with you.

If you book Business Select, your boarding position does *not* carry over to your companion, who will get whatever the next position is at their 24 hour check in. You can either 1) hope that there's still A 1-15 available to purchase once he's checked in or 2) book yourself one of the lower ticket levels such that you know you'll both board sequentially, even if it's later in the boarding order.
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying all of that for me. I guess I better figure out for sure which ticket I’m going to get Thursday. I just don’t want to get stuck way back far into boarding so that’s why I was thinking Business Select, as we like to sit up close to the front. I’m afraid to let us not board at least somewhat close together and then not get to sit together if someone takes an empty seat by me. I know most people ask if someone is sitting beside you, but I’m sure there are some that wouldn’t ask and just take the empty seat.

I think I recall reading somewhere that Anytime with EBCI tickets would get a better boarding position than someone that purchased WGA tickets with EBCI, even if they purchased their tickets at the exact same time? Is that correct or do you know?

Please make sure his orthopedic doctor is ok with him flying. Blood clots can happen, especially with lower extremity injuries. I had a healthy young fellow RN fly from Boston to NC, and ended up in the hospital with pulmonary emboli and put on Coumadin for 6 months.
We had his follow up this morning and I asked if it was ok for him to fly and he said it should be no problem.

So after talking to my husband I called SW back and the lady I spoke to said bc it was a disability (even a temporary one) I could buy an extra seat for him and after the flights call and I’d be reimbursed for the extra seat. So we did that. Since he’ll be in a wheelchair we should also get pre boarding. It may not be a trip like we are used to, but he’s already lost enough over this injury so I don’t want him to lose this trip too. It’s to Denver for a football game, a yearly tradition.

I’m purchasing SWA tickets to MCO for our July trip on Thursday’s release date. I’m working on earning my CP after the first of the year, but I will have to buy our 2 tickets with cash (not enough RR points right now). I plan to buy Business Select tickets so when I do earn my CP, I can switch DH’s to my CP and get the refund for his. Being new to all the ins and outs of the CP, if I have a Business Select ticket, when DH is my companion, will he also get A1-A15 or how will he be positioned for boarding? Will I need to purchase EBCI for him or try and wait and just upgrade his ticket at check-in if I can? I have the SWA Performance Biz card, where I can get reimbursed for upgrades also. Should I buy our 2 tickets separately with different confirmation numbers or does it matter? I would buy anytime tickets, but I’m worried with all the talk I see about tons of people pre-boarding and letting families board even sooner than they do now, it doesn’t seem to be worth it not to have a guaranteed A1-A15 position. So EBCI, doesn’t hardly seem a good value anymore. I’ve always purchased it and luckily have never even been in the B group before, but now my faith in that is wavering. I like to sit up as close to the front of the plane as I can.

Also, on another topic, we will need to travel from MCO to Port Canaveral to catch a Carnival cruise. Does anyone know the best way to get there and back to MCO after?

I would buy your tickets separately now, so cancelling his will be easier later. And when you buy Business Select, your companion will not get a 1-15 spot. You can do which ever you prefer, EBCI or upgrade later. Upgrading later is a gamble of course. But you can upgrade right at check in now, so might be easier to get.

Not sure if I should put this in transportation or families category, but does Southwest have an age limit for the stroller not counting as a carry on? And can we check a single Bob stroller at the gate or does it have to be done at the ticket counter? Kids are age 4 and 6. So if 4 of us are traveling can we bring the following items to the gate: 4 carryons, 3 personal items, an umbrella stroller, a single Bob jogging stroller, and 2 FAA approved car seats for the kids to use on board?

As a PP said, the car seat has to be against the window & you can only have 1 car seat per row. So if they’re in car seats, the kids won’t be able to sit with each other.

Do you need the 6 YO’s car seat in Orlando? Coz truthfully, I never see car seats being taken on flights for kids that big, usually only toddlers or infants. It’s not like a car, where you’re protecting them from collisions & sudden stops. Sorry, not meaning to tell you what to do for your kids, but you might consider checking the car seats & letting the kids just sit in the seats. Less to drag to the gate & deal with when boarding.

I think I recall reading somewhere that Anytime with EBCI tickets would get a better boarding position than someone that purchased WGA tickets with EBCI, even if they purchased their tickets at the exact same time? Is that correct or do you know?

That much I don't know.

I think, in general, if you're flying SW, you have to be willing to be more flexible about seating arrangements. Clearly, you're planning significant SW travel if you're doing two CCs to get the companion pass for 2023-24. If you get EBCI for yourself, you'll board sequentially with your husband and you're going to end up with two seats together, even if they're further back on the plane.

Getting the front with SW is a real toss up depending on preboards, family boards, etc, especially considering that you can't guarantee A1-15 for your companion unless you earn A list. I would try to move towards a "hope for the best but be OK with less" attitude towards location on the plane and just add EBCI to your ticket.

As a PP said, the car seat has to be against the window & you can only have 1 car seat per row. So if they’re in car seats, the kids won’t be able to sit with each other.

Do you need the 6 YO’s car seat in Orlando? Coz truthfully, I never see car seats being taken on flights for kids that big, usually only toddlers or infants. It’s not like a car, where you’re protecting them from collisions & sudden stops. Sorry, not meaning to tell you what to do for your kids, but you might consider checking the car seats & letting the kids just sit in the seats. Less to drag to the gate & deal with when boarding.
Depends on what transportation they are using in Orlando. If renting a car they def need the car seats. If not then I’d agree, leave the seats. It’s more hassle than it’s worth.

Not sure if I should put this in transportation or families category, but does Southwest have an age limit for the stroller not counting as a carry on? And can we check a single Bob stroller at the gate or does it have to be done at the ticket counter? Kids are age 4 and 6. So if 4 of us are traveling can we bring the following items to the gate: 4 carryons, 3 personal items, an umbrella stroller, a single Bob jogging stroller, and 2 FAA approved car seats for the kids to use on board?
If you plan to rent a car and need the car seats then yes do it that way. If you are using shuttles and Disney transportation, leave the car seats behind. If you’re only bringing them for the plane and are worried about them on the plane I’d look at the CARES harness for them. Easier to carry. That’s a lot to lug around if you don’t have to have them. I’m a stickler for car seats but that’s too much work. How will you get all that through the airport?

That is correct. Even Anytime Tickets purchased after someone purchased WGA with EBCI will get a better boarding position. From Southwest's FAQ: https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/earlybird-checkin

Is there an order in which EarlyBird Check-In boarding positions are reserved?
Yes. Customers who have purchased Anytime fares receive priority over Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away Plus and Wanna Get Away fares. Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away Plus receive priority over Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away fares. Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to Passengers within the same fare product.

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying all of that for me. I guess I better figure out for sure which ticket I’m going to get Thursday. I just don’t want to get stuck way back far into boarding so that’s why I was thinking Business Select, as we like to sit up close to the front. I’m afraid to let us not board at least somewhat close together and then not get to sit together if someone takes an empty seat by me. I know most people ask if someone is sitting beside you, but I’m sure there are some that wouldn’t ask and just take the empty seat.

BS tickets are not what you want. Anytime with EBCI purchased on release is going to give you the best boarding position without status.
Depends on what transportation they are using in Orlando. If renting a car they def need the car seats. If not then I’d agree, leave the seats. It’s more hassle than it’s worth.
If they are renting a car they may need the car seats. Not definitely. FL law does not require car seats for those 4 and above. They could use boosters like a BubbleBum and it would meet the legal requirements. In 2019 I took my then 4 and 7 year olds and we put the 4 year old in a BubbleBum and let the 7 year old ride in the backseat of a Lyft for a trip from POP to Poly.

BS tickets are not what you want. Anytime with EBCI purchased on release is going to give you the best boarding position without status.

If they are renting a car they may need the car seats. Not definitely. FL law does not require car seats for those 4 and above. They could use boosters like a BubbleBum and it would meet the legal requirements. In 2019 I took my then 4 and 7 year olds and we put the 4 year old in a BubbleBum and let the 7 year old ride in the backseat of a Lyft for a trip from POP to Poly.
The laws of physics still apply on vacation. Regardless of Floridas ridiculously low ages for car seats. If your child sits in a particular seat normally why do people somehow think the same safety rules don’t apply in Florida? The minimum requirement by law is not safe for most children. So sure, maybe a 6 or 7 year old could do with a booster/bubble bum. But ideally no child under 5 should be in a booster of any kind, much less a backless one, even if it is legal. So in my opinion a 4 yr old absolutely requires a car seat as it’s recommended that kids remain in a harnessed seat until the max out the weight or height of the seats which is usually 65 lb.

Regardless of if they’re needing the car seats while in Florida, my point was they don’t need to be in them on the plane. In all my flights I have never seen a 6 year old in a car seat on the plane. They could check the car seats & have them for their trip without the hassle of taking 2 car seats, 2 strollers & 4 carryon bags to the gate.

That is correct. Even Anytime Tickets purchased after someone purchased WGA with EBCI will get a better boarding position. From Southwest's FAQ: https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/earlybird-checkin

Is there an order in which EarlyBird Check-In boarding positions are reserved?
Yes. Customers who have purchased Anytime fares receive priority over Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away Plus and Wanna Get Away fares. Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away Plus receive priority over Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away fares. Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to Passengers within the same fare product.
Thank you! I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere before.

I think you are exactly right and that’s what I’m going to purchase Thursday. I appreciate everyone’s advice and clarification on all of this. Even though I’ve been a long time SW flyer, there is still so much that I obviously don’t know 🤦🏼‍♀️ Now trying to earn CP is a whole other learning process for me.

Thinking of renting a car. Less hassle than trying to take public bus (planning on doing Disney and Seaworld). I thought about just getting a backless booster for the oldest to use in FL, but both kids use harness car seats at home. Thought the seats might have less chance of damage if I pile them on the jogging stroller for trip thru airport, use seats on the plane, and gate check stroller. Now if the jogging stroller is too big and has to be counter checked, that completely changes things.

Good to know about 1 car seat per row. I didn't realize that.

Thinking of renting a car. Less hassle than trying to take public bus (planning on doing Disney and Seaworld). I thought about just getting a backless booster for the oldest to use in FL, but both kids use harness car seats at home. Thought the seats might have less chance of damage if I pile them on the jogging stroller for trip thru airport, use seats on the plane, and gate check stroller. Now if the jogging stroller is too big and has to be counter checked, that completely changes things.

Good to know about 1 car seat per row. I didn't realize that.
I’d check into a wizrider. They are a harness type device and are legal car seats for kids that age. They’re also very small and portable. We bought one for my 5 year old last year when we went to Disney just in case we used Uber. It worked out great. You can sometimes find them used on eBay or Mercari because brand new they may be a little pricey.

Next "block" of fares were released at 7:15. They only go up until Aug 14. I needed the 18th. Next release Feb 9th, 2023. Oh well, back to bed...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter