Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

We have have expiring credits for end of month/beginning of June. I know they offer the voucher
for 100 fee. I just called and the agent said you can only get that AFTER the credit has expired so
call back that day or next day? Is that correct?

I thought I read on a travel forum somewhere that you should call to get it before expiration date.

Does Southwest ever give complimentary Early Bird check in? I was just checking my account on the SW app for my flight next Sunday and it shows that all 4 of us have Early Bird. I did not purchase Early Bird. Our return flight was booked separately and it does not show Early Bird. I know SW sometimes randomly gives pre-check but I’ve never known of them adding a free Early Bird. Does anyone know?

Does Southwest ever give complimentary Early Bird check in? I was just checking my account on the SW app for my flight next Sunday and it shows that all 4 of us have Early Bird. I did not purchase Early Bird. Our return flight was booked separately and it does not show Early Bird. I know SW sometimes randomly gives pre-check but I’ve never known of them adding a free Early Bird. Does anyone know?

Dis you book any Anytime fare? Early Bird is now included with Anytime fares.

Dis you book any Anytime fare? Early Bird is now included with Anytime fares.

Yes! Thank you! I totally forgot I had to book the Anytime fare because Wanna Get Away was sold out. So having Early Bird means I don’t have to check in exactly at 24 hours, just sometime before the flight?

Yes! Thank you! I totally forgot I had to book the Anytime fare because Wanna Get Away was sold out. So having Early Bird means I don’t have to check in exactly at 24 hours, just sometime before the flight?

Right! SW will automatically check you in 36 hours before the flight. Anytime after the 24 hour mark, you go thru the check in process to see your boarding position & get you boarding pass. But your number was assigned at 36 hours & doesn’t change no matter when you check in.

Well, it looks like we're using our companion passes earlier than anticipated. Our kids got covid in the lead up to a very important concert for them (waiting two years to see the band, bought the VIP and everything). After many, many tears and "it's not fair" (me just as much as them, if we're being honest) we decided to throw money at the situation and fly to Nashville to see the show over Memorial Day weekend.

It was a huge chunk of our points to book 3 last minute round trip tickets, but at least having the two CPs essentially gets us 40% off flights as a family!

This will be our first time flying with kids who are too old for family boarding but, given their history of air sickness, should probably have a parent available to hold the barf bag, just in case. We've got kids Dramamine, sea bands, and hopefully an understanding flight crew...

So, I checked in on this thread this morning. That lead me to check on my flights for July/Aug trip. Nonstops have been added back into the schedule and 2 of my 3 flights are now no longer on the schedule. So far, I have not received an updated itinerary from Southwest. I am looking forward to changing my connecting flight BACK to a direct flight.

My question: How long does it take SW to change your flights and let you know?

Will I be able to keep EB since they are changing the flight not me?

Well, it looks like we're using our companion passes earlier than anticipated. Our kids got covid in the lead up to a very important concert for them (waiting two years to see the band, bought the VIP and everything). After many, many tears and "it's not fair" (me just as much as them, if we're being honest) we decided to throw money at the situation and fly to Nashville to see the show over Memorial Day weekend.

It was a huge chunk of our points to book 3 last minute round trip tickets, but at least having the two CPs essentially gets us 40% off flights as a family!

This will be our first time flying with kids who are too old for family boarding but, given their history of air sickness, should probably have a parent available to hold the barf bag, just in case. We've got kids Dramamine, sea bands, and hopefully an understanding flight crew...
If you need to sit with your kids it’s best to purchase EBCI as there is no guarantee you will be together without it. It is not the airline’s responsibility nor other passengers obligation to move if you choose not to purchase it. If your children struggle with sit sickness, please do this for the sake of all.

If you need to sit with your kids it’s best to purchase EBCI as there is no guarantee you will be together without it. It is not the airline’s responsibility nor other passengers obligation to move if you choose not to purchase it. If your children struggle with sit sickness, please do this for the sake of all.
1) There is no guarantee we'd we together with it, either

2) We don't have to sit together. The kids are aware enough that they know when they're getting sick and can reach for the bag. I think it would definitely be better if we can be together, but they'll be prepared to sit alone if that's how it shakes out.

3) We shouldn't have to pay more because of a medical condition. If the staff wants us together to accommodate the kids, they can have us family board.

So, I checked in on this thread this morning. That lead me to check on my flights for July/Aug trip. Nonstops have been added back into the schedule and 2 of my 3 flights are now no longer on the schedule. So far, I have not received an updated itinerary from Southwest. I am looking forward to changing my connecting flight BACK to a direct flight.

My question: How long does it take SW to change your flights and let you know?

Will I be able to keep EB since they are changing the flight not me?
I would not count on them to change your flight back to a non stop. I would call them today and have them change you back.

1) There is no guarantee we'd we together with it, either

2) We don't have to sit together. The kids are aware enough that they know when they're getting sick and can reach for the bag. I think it would definitely be better if we can be together, but they'll be prepared to sit alone if that's how it shakes out.

3) We shouldn't have to pay more because of a medical condition. If the staff wants us together to accommodate the kids, they can have us family board.
Paying for EBCI or not is really just for everyone, there's a multitude of reasons why someone would purchase it or not purchase it. We situationally purchase it meaning there are a good amount of times we don't and certain circumstances we do.

I get motion sickness on airplanes, I can relate, right now I have to look at a fixed object (I choose the front bathroom sign) during take off and keep my head elevated (so no resting it on the headrest) until we reach altitude, I seem to have largely gotten away from any big feelings on the descent.

The PP recommend EBCI as it increases the odds of being able to find seats together (never guaranteed just increases the odds). This isn't related to your children's air sickness, this is because you would prefer to sit with them. Therefore if that is the intended goal that would be the going advice. Looking at it as if you shouldn't have to pay for a medical condition..well that is probably not the best foot to start off with :flower3: I certainly never had that outlook as a kid, nor did my parents. On the other hand I usually have the spiel that if it's paramount to sit together (which it looks like here it's more of a would be better situation but not paramount) SWA is not the airline to use.

Last advice I can give you is usually back of plane fills last (aside from middle seats), if you head for that you might have a better chance there. Many of our flights the flight attendants alert people to this. I know on our flight down to Orlando in early May they were practically begging people to head towards the back.

COVID has caused so many heartbreak moments like that - so glad you were able to reschedule! And yay for Companion Passes that make it doable cost-wise. :) I hope the air sickness doesn't cause any problems and you have a fabulous time at the concert!

Looking at it as if you shouldn't have to pay for a medical condition..well that is probably not the best foot to start off with :flower3:

For us, the only reason we would be concerned about not sitting together is the air sickness. We would obviously try either way, but I would be 100% comfortable getting split up if not for the vomit risk. So, for our family situation, ECBI would be paying more for a medical condition; we wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.

As it stands, if we are split up, the kids will have directions for what to do in case they get sick, bags, and wipes. I do plan on letting the staff know about the situation and leaving it to their discretion if they want to ensure we're seated together.

ECBI would be paying more for a medical condition; we wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.
And we purchased it only for the trip to Orlando, we don't otherwise. We purchased it the first time I flew by myself to visit my husband while he was on site on a power plant, we don't otherwise. That's what I mean, don't try and sparse it out like you're paying more for a medical condition. EBCI is for so many reasons. You're in the same boat as many other people, it's not a special scenario such that you should realistically view it the way you are.

. I do plan on letting the staff know about the situation and leaving it to their discretion if they want to ensure we're seated together.
This is exactly what the PP was trying to get away from and myself as well. Please do not do this. It puts the FAs in a tight spot unnecessarily. There are millions of people who fly all the time with motion sickness even severe enough to actually use the bags provided. It just simply isn't something, especially in this day and age, that an FA needs to deal with with a passenger. If you want to ensure you're seated together don't fly SWA and go with an airline where you can select seats together. Delta for instance now blocks rows. That would be perfect for your situation!

Hmmm … I hadn’t really researched the WGA+ program change. It took place while I was at WDW. The addition of free Early Bird to Anytime fares would explain my check in experience on the way back home on Saturday. I checked into my flight right at 24 hours in advance. I had time.gov up and I checked in literally seconds after it opened. I was at the END of the B boarding group. I can’t imagine that nearly 120 people ahead of me were quicker on the draw than me. My guess is that a lot of people had Early Bird.

Hmmm … I hadn’t really researched the WGA+ program change. It took place while I was at WDW. The addition of free Early Bird to Anytime fares would explain my check in experience on the way back home on Saturday. I checked into my flight right at 24 hours in advance. I had time.gov up and I checked in literally seconds after it opened. I was at the END of the B boarding group. I can’t imagine that nearly 120 people ahead of me were quicker on the draw than me. My guess is that a lot of people had Early Bird.
That may have been the case but I'll give you an example my Vegas flight home in December I was B60..yup B60. That was however with no EBCI. I checked in right at T-24. The guy ahead of me joked he was one second faster than me lol.

I think with flights right now it's a toss up between how many A-listers (and those who Board with them if on the same reservation) including ones who were extended the benefits due to the pandemic or ones chosen to randomly get it and then EBCI people.

Now going forward with Anytime getting EBCI included your experience and my experience of getting really high B's even at T-24 without EBCI may be more common. Also I would say we booked EBCI for this past Orlando trip in part due to thinking there would be a lot of pre-boards and children (which there actually was not) and because it was reimbursed through the SWA CC my husband had (which was a new part of the program) and needed to be used by June (the anniversary date of the CC). We booked EBCI for me back in February I believe just before they changed our flights but it was after the flight had originally been booked, we booked the flights on release day back in December.

This is exactly what the PP was trying to get away from and myself as well. Please do not do this. It puts the FAs in a tight spot unnecessarily. There are millions of people who fly all the time with motion sickness even severe enough to actually use the bags provided. It just simply isn't something, especially in this day and age, that an FA needs to deal with with a passenger.

I respectfully disagree here. SW website specifies that customers that may need a specific seat or boarding assistance should tell the ticket counter or gate agent.

" Our Agents are trained to ask fact-finding questions to determine if the Customer meets the qualifications described above. Those Customers who qualify for preboarding will receive a new boarding pass with a preboarding designation. "

I genuinely don't know if an eight year old that has in the past tossed on an airplane is something that SW would say is worth them having a seat next to a responsible adult. Perhaps you are right and there are enough young people flying with motion sickness that it wouldn't flag as an issue for them. Perhaps they would want a parent with that child. It's their discretion and the mechanism they have established for making that determination is to ask at the counter or the gate. If they decide that it is appropriate, they can designate us to board between A and B. If they think the kids are fine to board in their assigned positions, we will do so and be prepared to get split up. I have no intentions of demanding accommodation but I will be asking if it is appropriate in our circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter