Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

The SW flight change fairy just smacked us in the face! DS14 is flying alone this summer (3 flights in total) to visit family and then go to a weeklong camp. The camp specifies when their personnel will be at a specific airport to collect the campers and load them into a van to take them to camp. Same thing for the return. SW now offers no valid return times on the last day of camp out of the camp specified airport. Boo. Other legacy carriers would want a $150 unaccompanied minor fee on a O/W ticket due to his age. And thereā€™s no saying whether a legacy flight might experience a time change as well! We had been thinking of flying down there for camp pick up and making a weekend out of it. July 4th weekend in Galveston sounds fun, right? šŸ˜‰

SW changed all 3 of his flights, but the first two werenā€™t major and still work for the family that will be collecting him and then depositing him at the airport. We kind of knew this would happen, with everyone reporting in on this board. Ah well, semper Gumby!

Did anyone else receive this message from Southwest, when changing a reservation after seeing the banner appear for an upcoming trip?
I never bothered to check account activity for a change in points, after modifying the booking, but I probably will have to start checking.

ETA....After originally posting, another message came, referencing a different confirmation number.
You recently received an email from southwestairlines@ifly.southwest.com that indicated additional points were used for travel reserved under confirmation number: XXXXXX. These points were miscalculated in error as there should not have been an additional charge when you changed your reservation.
The additional points have been returned to your account and you will see that the amount debited for your ticket exchange has been corrected. You can review your account balance on Southwest.comĀ®.
We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to seeing you onboard soon.
-Your friends at Rapid Rewards
Proactive Customer Communications

Last edited:
Did anyone else receive this message from Southwest, when changing a reservation after seeing the banner appear for an upcoming trip?
I never bothered to check account activity for a change in points, after modifying the booking, but I probably will have to start checking.
I havenā€™t seen that, but we had a red banner and changed and they credited us points saying the flight ā€œpriceā€ had dropped. Iā€™d never seen that before with the red banner (they normally donā€™t show an increase or decrease), so I wonder if there was a glitch?

I havenā€™t seen that, but we had a red banner and changed and they credited us points saying the flight ā€œpriceā€ had dropped. Iā€™d never seen that before with the red banner (they normally donā€™t show an increase or decrease), so I wonder if there was a glitch?
Iā€™d rather have your ā€œglitch.ā€ šŸ˜Š

I am hoping someone here can help me. I opened my app to look and see if flights went down in cost (I know it's a long shot - but i try a few times a week) The red change banner appears at the top of the screen but it appears as though my original flight on July 11th has not changed. if my original flight is still available with no changes why would the red change banner appear. I did not receive any emails from SW about flight changes

I am hoping someone here can help me. I opened my app to look and see if flights went down in cost (I know it's a long shot - but i try a few times a week) The red change banner appears at the top of the screen but it appears as though my original flight on July 11th has not changed. if my original flight is still available with no changes why would the red change banner appear. I did not receive any emails from SW about flight changes
Same here for my July 17th flight. I've had this happen before. SW is making changes within a certain time frame to some but not all flights. However, all flights within that time frame get the red banner regardless of if they are being affected by the changes or not.

Same here for my July 17th flight. I've had this happen before. SW is making changes within a certain time frame to some but not all flights. However, all flights within that time frame get the red banner regardless of if they are being affected by the changes or not.
Do you mind reporting back if your flight actually does change? We are flying out July 19th and I am hoping to not be affected by a change. So far, I have no banner on my page. It will save me from an adult temper tantrum if I see it and there's still a possibility it won't change. :) I realize these are difficult times, but you get up early to get the flight you want, make transportation arrangements based on that, we have a room booked at the hotel at the airport the night before our flight, and I won't be happy to have to change all that. My daughter's flight changed from a nonstop to a 2 stop, adding hours to her flight and essentially losing a park day. That is ridiculous. We will make it work if it happens, but I hope it doesn't.

Do you mind reporting back if your flight actually does change? We are flying out July 19th and I am hoping to not be affected by a change. So far, I have no banner on my page. It will save me from an adult temper tantrum if I see it and there's still a possibility it won't change. :) I realize these are difficult times, but you get up early to get the flight you want, make transportation arrangements based on that, we have a room booked at the hotel at the airport the night before our flight, and I won't be happy to have to change all that. My daughter's flight changed from a nonstop to a 2 stop, adding hours to her flight and essentially losing a park day. That is ridiculous. We will make it work if it happens, but I hope it doesn't.
I donā€™t believe they have gone beyond July 17, so July 19 s/b in the next week or two. I advise looking at your reservation every day - once in the morning and once in the evening. Donā€™t rely on emails, as sometimes Southwest sends them, and sometimes they donā€™t. I have gotten emails shortly after midnight, notifying me of an unacceptable change. If I had not immediately seen the email, I would have not gotten the last available seat on my preferred flight.

Just to complicate matters, do not assume that once you have gotten the change banner, you will not receive it again - with or without any effect to your trip.

I donā€™t believe they have gone beyond July 17, so July 19 s/b in the next week or two. I advise looking at your reservation every day - once in the morning and once in the evening. Donā€™t rely on emails, as sometimes Southwest sends them, and sometimes they donā€™t. I have gotten emails shortly after midnight, notifying me of an unacceptable change. If I had not immediately seen the email, I would have not gotten the last available seat on my preferred flight.
Just to complicate matters, do not assume that once you have gotten the change banner, you will not receive it again - with or without any effect to your trip.
Thanks. I will definitely do all that.

I definitely will. It won't surprise me either way, if it changes eventually or if it doesnā€™t. So much is fluid these days! My banner showed up on Friday night. So we're getting close to the 3 (usually, right?) days the banner sticks around for. We shall see.

Just wanted to share my experience with southwest as Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one and it may help someone. We had flights from Manchester NH to MCO for 7/4-7/11, nonstop both ways. Our departing flight was changed from 7 am to 6 am departure, and a layover in BWI was added. We got the email the other day and the app showed me I could change flights, and I could use Manchester, Boston, or Providence. When I went in to make the changes to nonstop flights to/from Providence, the system wanted me to pay the difference. I spoke with a very helpful rep who changed it for me, no problem, and no charge.

She told me a couple things that have been going on lately. Due to the changes in demand for flights, changes in travel restrictions, etc, SW is going through the entire schedule, week by week, and doing major overhauls. They are trying to make changes that will be as solid as possible to avoid multiple changes for customers.

Also, when I called customer service the first two times the wait times were ridiculous, 110 and 120 minutes. I called back and after I attempted to use the automated system, then said ā€œrepresentative,ā€ someone picked up within about 3-4 minutes. So try that hack if you need to speak with southwest!!

Good luck everyone!

Ironically while on hold with Southwest tonight I received an email that my flight had changed. Opened the app and they did change our flight. Our non-stop flight from 530-820 was no longer there and they moved us to a one stop flight that arrived at 920. Both of the original non-stop flights on that day were gone and they added a non stop flight from 120-355. Thankfully I was able to move our flights to this and an arrival time of 355 is so much better! fingers crossed they do not change it again. Thanks as always for all the information on this board

Southwest is at it again. I just received an email notification that they changed a trip originally booked as a four hour trip to a trip with a duration of almost 12 hours. When I went online to revise their change, I did not even see their routing listed as an option, though there were nonstops and other options available with no more than a four hour duration.

The other problem that keeps popping up is when Southwest makes changes in reservations with connecting flights, only booking one flight, and forgetting the other flight to the final destination. Someone posted @SouthwestAir on Twitter asking if he/she is supposed to walk to their final destination, from the connection point.

I understood that their system was generating the revised itineraries, but I thought the revisions were being checked for errors.

Due to the changes in demand for flights, changes in travel restrictions, etc, SW is going through the entire schedule, week by week, and doing major overhauls. They are trying to make changes that will be as solid as possible to avoid multiple changes for customers.

Sounds like that info goes along with their blog post from Friday, April 30, which talked about their revised summer schedule (https://community.southwest.com/t5/Blog/Summer-travel-is-right-around-the-corner/ba-p/119700) which included this line: "Southwest Airlines is excited to announce the release of our revised summer schedule (June 6 through September 6)..."

I was reading the post thinking, wait, haven't these dates have been on sale for a while now? But I guess it makes sense they need to go over it all again.

I definitely will. It won't surprise me either way, if it changes eventually or if it doesnā€™t. So much is fluid these days! My banner showed up on Friday night. So we're getting close to the 3 (usually, right?) days the banner sticks around for. We shall see.
Well, apparently I jinxed myself by saying I had a red banner and no changes. Overnight I got the email my schedule for my outgoing flight had been changed (flight back home is not changed yet but I anticipate it happening when they get working on thr next week of the schedule). My 6:55am non stop got removed and they put me on a 6:15am with 1 stop. Was able to change it to the 5:15am (yikes!) non stop. There was also a later non stop but we'd prefer to get to WDW as early as possible.

Good luck to the rest of you with your changes!

Sounds like that info goes along with their blog post from Friday, April 30, which talked about their revised summer schedule (https://community.southwest.com/t5/Blog/Summer-travel-is-right-around-the-corner/ba-p/119700) which included this line: "Southwest Airlines is excited to announce the release of our revised summer schedule (June 6 through September 6)..."

I was reading the post thinking, wait, haven't these dates have been on sale for a while now? But I guess it makes sense they need to go over it all again.
Thanks for sharing. Did you notice how they spelled Pittsburg (sic)? I don't think Pittsburghers would be pleased.

Southwest has now attached the change banner for flights from 07.18.2021 till the end of July. They are moving fast with modifying the summer schedule, about a couple of weeks at a time. Reminder...you will now have about three days to make any changes to your flights, which show the banner, when selecting to change an itinerary.

They are still deleting one leg of some connecting itineraries, so actually open and view your flights; donā€™t just look at the tripā€™s name and assume the routing is correct - you may be missing part of the trip.

Last edited:
Well, I got the dreaded change. Instead of a 2 hour 45 minute nonstop flight, it got changed to a 7 hour and 40 minute 2 stop flight. So aggravating. It's not letting me make a change right now. We are trying not to mess with the park reservations, so will take a late flight down the night before and stay offsite. Very disappointing and aggravating. Had car service all lined up, a really good price at the airport hotel that included parking etc. Oh well....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter