Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Southwest just changed our flight time by 5 minutes and they offered to let us change both flights without paying the difference in fare, is this normal with them over a 5 minute difference?

I mean we were able to get much better flight times without paying the almost $600 extra each way the new flight times would have cost, but this seems extremely generous for 5 minutes.

Southwest just changed our flight time by 5 minutes and they offered to let us change both flights without paying the difference in fare, is this normal with them over a 5 minute difference?

I mean we were able to get much better flight times without paying the almost $600 extra each way the new flight times would have cost, but this seems extremely generous for 5 minutes.
Yes, this has been the norm, due to the pandemic and reduced bookings. Sometimes Southwest drops/consolidates flights, which also can cause slight adjustments in times of other flights. Once the no fare change option becomes available within specified dates, Southwest offers the option on all reservations within the effected window.

Consider this temporary option a gift and enjoy it while you can. Once travel demand returns to normal, the banner “no fare change” option will become a thing of the past.

Another SW question- it looks as though the number of direct flights (from Philly to Orlando) is MUCH less than in years past.... and the flight times are not good for when we want to go.

I’m sure this is because of Covid- but what do you guys think the odds are of SW adding more direct flights come November/December?

Another SW question- it looks as though the number of direct flights (from Philly to Orlando) is MUCH less than in years past.... and the flight times are not good for when we want to go.

I’m sure this is because of Covid- but what do you guys think the odds are of SW adding more direct flights come November/December?

Literally no one can predict that. It might happen, but might not.

Literally no one can predict that. It might happen, but might not.
Lol. So true! Have had the hardest time planning this particular vacation (so many loose ends), but I know I just have to be patient! It will all come together soon enough.

Ok, I'm 11 days out from our direct flight to MCO on SW. What are the chances that SW will change our flight before then? I don't know what the latest is they typically make changes, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that everything sticks as-is.

Ok, I'm 11 days out from our direct flight to MCO on SW. What are the chances that SW will change our flight before then? I don't know what the latest is they typically make changes, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that everything sticks as-is.

No one can answer that. There's no way to predict. Getting planes from A --> B across the country is a complicated job.

BUT, your flight can change up until the moment before takeoff.

The change banner is now appearing for select dates between late June and early July.

ugh. I noticed the change banner this morning and that my flights were the same. It wasn’t until I saw this comment that I realized they eliminated my return flight from the schedule (which has not had any wanna get away fares for awhile). So I had to change to a flight that leaves much earlier and will cut out a lot of our last day. So I had to email poor Tony Hinds again this evening about my flight change. I also noticed there are no wanna get away fares at all on the day we go to Orlando from Columbus. Southwest clearly does not want any empty seats on their flights. They really cut flights to the bare minimum. (I am assuming our June 16 flight was the first batch of June changes and our June 20 flight this batch). Wonder what they will do to our September flights -I am afraid to ask

ugh. I noticed the change banner this morning and that my flights were the same. It wasn’t until I saw this comment that I realized they eliminated my return flight from the schedule (which has not had any wanna get away fares for awhile). So I had to change to a flight that leaves much earlier and will cut out a lot of our last day. So I had to email poor Tony Hinds again this evening about my flight change. I also noticed there are no wanna get away fares at all on the day we go to Orlando from Columbus. Southwest clearly does not want any empty seats on their flights. They really cut flights to the bare minimum. (I am assuming our June 16 flight was the first batch of June changes and our June 20 flight this batch). Wonder what they will do to our September flights -I am afraid to ask
They really have. I’m in Columbus too and seems like they have limited most days to 2 maybe 3 nonstops if you are lucky.

They really have. I’m in Columbus too and seems like they have limited most days to 2 maybe 3 nonstops if you are lucky.
I am in Columbus too and was disappointed at the non-stop flights offered for our early June trip (rescheduled from March 2020). I was pleasantly surprised this morning to get an email that our return flight was changed to a non-stop so no more Atlanta layover. Hopefully this is a sign they are bringing more nonstop flights back. We really liked those 6am non-stop departures on arrival day! We are flying in a day early and staying at the airport just because the nonstop flights out were awful for our arrival day.

I am in Columbus too and was disappointed at the non-stop flights offered for our early June trip (rescheduled from March 2020). I was pleasantly surprised this morning to get an email that our return flight was changed to a non-stop so no more Atlanta layover. Hopefully this is a sign they are bringing more nonstop flights back. We really liked those 6am non-stop departures on arrival day! We are flying in a day early and staying at the airport just because the nonstop flights out were awful for our arrival day.

yeah our flight out got better with a 6:30 am flight but our flight going home is worse cutting 3 1/2 hour from our last day. Oh well. Could be worse - hopefully they don’t change it again

Nice, yeah that's the flight I am taking 6am down to Orlando in a few weeks and it is sold out. It is early but its nice to have a whole day when you get there.

RDU starts out with 3 nonstop flights and then ends up with one nonstop. And it's not consistent which flight gets kept and which ones get canceled.

Last edited:
I am finding that some nonstops have been tweaked by less than an hour and changed to a new flight number, while some connecting itineraries have been replaced by a new nonstop or a direct flight (flight with intermediate stop, but no change of plane). The change notices just keep a coming!

Southwest eliminated our Non Stop flights for June from Long Island on Sunday. Just did my Magical Express res. 2 days before. Flights from LaGuardia to MCO 2 weeks ago were packed so I was a little surprised. Seems the day before and after our scheduled dates still have non stop flights so guess our flights were not full. :daisy:QUESTION: I may book the Hyatt at MCO for our departure day and fly out the following day since there is still a Non Stop back to NY. I think I can just give Magical Express a different flight number for ANY later flight so I can stay at Resort that day and head over to Hyatt for night. Can anyone confirm this is still a thing? Thanks!

Southwest eliminated our Non Stop flights for June from Long Island on Sunday. Just did my Magical Express res. 2 days before. Flights from LaGuardia to MCO 2 weeks ago were packed so I was a little surprised. Seems the day before and after our scheduled dates still have non stop flights so guess our flights were not full. :daisy:QUESTION: I may book the Hyatt at MCO for our departure day and fly out the following day since there is still a Non Stop back to NY. I think I can just give Magical Express a different flight number for ANY later flight so I can stay at Resort that day and head over to Hyatt for night. Can anyone confirm this is still a thing? Thanks!

Yes. No issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter