• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

When do we expect the next batch of flight schedules to be released? I know it’s just a guess since they haven’t updated their flights schedule page yet- I’m hoping in May??

So, Jetblue changed our flight time to an unacceptable flight time and there were no other decent flight times unless we cut our trip short by a couple of days. So, we were able to get a refund based on their rules and ended up booking Southwest.

We are larger (and have mobility issues) and have booked an extra seat per their rules, which also will apparently give us preboarding, but we have to talk with a gate agent when we get there.

I know Southwest doesn't assign seats, but this about the extent of what I know about Southwest as we have never flown with them. What kind of differences can we expect between Jetblue and Southwest?

We are going from LAX to MCO with a layover each direction where we change planes if that matters.
The JB and SW aircrafts are the same size. Seats seem to be the same size as well (I didn’t google exact measurements.)
JB usually offers TV screens on the back of the seat but SW does not.
SW allows you 2 checked bags, a carry on, and a personal item that can fit under a seat. SW typically gives out free drinks and snacks on their planes. Since you have mobility issues you will pre-board so no worrying about sitting together or anything. If anyone attempts to sit in your extra seat, simply tell them it’s taken. You should have no issues.
Overall, they’re very comparable. You have nothing to worry about there. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
We are heading to WDW at the end of September. I thought booking this far out in advance tickets would be decently priced. I took a look last week and was surprised on how high the prices were. Then I took a look again today because of the SW birthday deal email. Holy cow, some of the flights we were looking at now are saying only 1 or 2 tickets left at those prices. So I am taking it that prices are probably not going to do down and that I should book our flights ASAP?

We are heading to WDW at the end of September. I thought booking this far out in advance tickets would be decently priced. I took a look last week and was surprised on how high the prices were. Then I took a look again today because of the SW birthday deal email. Holy cow, some of the flights we were looking at now are saying only 1 or 2 tickets left at those prices. So I am taking it that prices are probably not going to do down and that I should book our flights ASAP?

Like many say... Book when you are comfortable with the price. Who knows if they will go up or down.

I booked my 7/13-24 flights on points back on the day the schedule was released back in December. Rebooked both directions in the beginning of January for a lower price. Rebooked the return flight end of February for a lower price again. Now prices are higher than I originally paid back in December. I still check the prices everyday... just in case.

I also keep an eye on the low fair calendar as a possible predictor. For my route flights in mid to late May are currently lower than my cost for July. Hoping those low fares keep creeping forward in the calendar so I can claw back even more points.

I saw somewhere today that airfares are expected to rise or stay near current prices due to fewer flights being available and more people wanting to travel in coming months now that vaccines are more readily available. However I did check prices today after receiving the SWA email this morning some of the flights between BWI-MCO had dropped from $158 to $121...so debating whether to grab those flights or wait for a further drop...same flights I booked for my last trip were $83

The grounding of the 737 Max again has not helped either. Hopefully they can get those back in the air and all the crew back sooner rather than later.

I bought all 10 of our flights for the last week of September (plus DH has companion pass) using points. Quite a bit higher than I usually pay, but wanted nonstop flights. Yesterday, with the 50th Birthday sale, I was able to get almost 5,000 per person in points back for 7 of the tickets (The NH Group). Ironically the RI tickets went up another 7200 points over what we paid last week! (And no early bird fees as I'm A-list!)

Lesson learned - book when you can afford, then keep checking for better pricing! 35,000 points is enough for DH and I go back to Disney twice, if I price it right!

Has anyone recently been on a full SW flight recently? We're flying Pittsburgh to Orlando next week & both of our flights are full which means DD12 will get the window & I'll be stuck in the middle sitting next to a random person. We have early bird. :sad1:

Has anyone recently been on a full SW flight recently? We're flying Pittsburgh to Orlando next week & both of our flights are full which means DD12 will get the window & I'll be stuck in the middle sitting next to a random person. We have early bird. :sad1:
Our flights were completely full in February (Providence to Orlando). (Though the way down there ended up only being 174 passengers for 175 seats. Luckily my husband had the lone middle seat open.

Our flights were completely full in February (Providence to Orlando). (Though the way down there ended up only being 174 passengers for 175 seats. Luckily my husband had the lone middle seat open.

I haven’t flown SW in about two years. We have a flight in May that I booked in February. They’ve changed the times on us and I’m thinking about adding early bird because I’m afraid I’ll miss checking in. Is it pointless to add it this close to the flight? We’ve been flying United and while they aren’t perfect, but I sure miss knowing we’re all going to sit together.

I haven’t flown SW in about two years. We have a flight in May that I booked in February. They’ve changed the times on us and I’m thinking about adding early bird because I’m afraid I’ll miss checking in. Is it pointless to add it this close to the flight? We’ve been flying United and while they aren’t perfect, but I sure miss knowing we’re all going to sit together.

It's not pointless quite yet. You'll still get a leg up on the people who don't get it, but you'll also be toward the lower end of the list of those that do.

If sitting together is your primary concern, understand that depending where your flight (the flight number) begins and how many passengers are already on the plane and going through when it gets to your city, will greatly impact where the cutoff will be between being able to sit together or not.

In a perfect scenario (initial leg of the day for that flight number) that cutoff point can be well into the C group of there aren't a lot of single travelers. Even a sub optimal scenario typically means you'll find seats together even if your boarding numbers are in the middle of the B group.

I'd go ahead and get EBCI. You'd likely be fine any way (assuming you checkin on the dot of your window opening), but every little bit will help. The bonus, as you said, is that you don't have the stress of checking in on a schedule.

Steve

I agree with Steve above. If you don't mind spending the money on Early Bird, it has that value of your not needing to check in right at 24 hours out, and you'll still be ahead of anyone who is checking in manually.

Two questions!!!
Points never expire right? I’d like to try and earn A List status as soon as possible so I’m thinking of using my SW CC to buy our next couple of flights but I do have a bunch of points...

Also - I have the $75 credit (flight credit?) on one of my SW cards. If I use that at some point do I have to use it all at once or can I partially use it and then use the rest on another trip? I don’t want to use it for less than the $75 just to find out I forfeit the rest of the money like Gap rewards!!

Two questions!!!
Points never expire right? I’d like to try and earn A List status as soon as possible so I’m thinking of using my SW CC to buy our next couple of flights but I do have a bunch of points...

Also - I have the $75 credit (flight credit?) on one of my SW cards. If I use that at some point do I have to use it all at once or can I partially use it and then use the rest on another trip? I don’t want to use it for less than the $75 just to find out I forfeit the rest of the money like Gap rewards!!

Points do not expire...at least not to my knowledge. It might be something like it needs activity to keep things from expiring (that's how American is) however with the credit card, you should negate any of that.

You do not need to use the full $75. $75 is just the total credit - you don't forfeit the rest of the money. So say you pay $10 in fees for a flight - then you would still have $65 remaining for that year. That at least is my understanding per the Southwest official community forum.

Really crappy.
I have been a RR Cardmember since 1997.
This is a very disloyal decision towards their loyalty program members.

It's not pointless quite yet. You'll still get a leg up on the people who don't get it, but you'll also be toward the lower end of the list of those that do.

If sitting together is your primary concern, understand that depending where your flight (the flight number) begins and how many passengers are already on the plane and going through when it gets to your city, will greatly impact where the cutoff will be between being able to sit together or not.

In a perfect scenario (initial leg of the day for that flight number) that cutoff point can be well into the C group of there aren't a lot of single travelers. Even a sub optimal scenario typically means you'll find seats together even if your boarding numbers are in the middle of the B group.

I'd go ahead and get EBCI. You'd likely be fine any way (assuming you checkin on the dot of your window opening), but every little bit will help. The bonus, as you said, is that you don't have the stress of checking in on a schedule.

Steve
I agree with Steve above. If you don't mind spending the money on Early Bird, it has that value of your not needing to check in right at 24 hours out, and you'll still be ahead of anyone who is checking in manually.
Thank you both. I went ahead and purchased it. Our flights are early May so I know we won’t get a great position, but I’ll be happy to be seated together anywhere on the plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter