• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Polynesian VS Wilderness Lodge with DS4 & DS18mo

mlsears

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip to the world May 2007 for 5 or 6 nights. We have previously stayed at the Poly (Sept 2004 and May 2005) with our DS. We found the location very convenient and the accommodations truly magical. Our 3 year old still speaks of these trips like they were yesterday. The fireworks at night, the volcano pool during the day. Some of our best memories of these trips were actually right at the resort. The extra cost was well worth it for all of the amenities of the resort – best being the monorail. :thumbsup2

I am toying with the idea of staying at the Wilderness Lodge for our next trip. DS :sulley: will be 4 and our new addition DS :tigger: will be 18 months. How does the Wilderness Lodge compare to the Poly. I love look of the resort, the pool also looks fun. Will I feel disappointed after staying at the Poly. Plus, staying at the WL will possibly allow us to add an extra night onto our stay. This is very tempting.

Can anyone try to sell me on the Wilderness Lodge vs. the Poly. Will having a double stroller on the boats be a major inconvenience?

Thanks!!!

Thanks so much!

Your biggest thing will be room size to start with. The Polynesian rooms are quite a bit larger that the WL rooms. You won’t have the monorail to MK or Epcot within walking distance and at the Polynesian you actually have two boats to the MK. There is the small motor launch that you won’t get the double stroller onto anyway but next door at the TTC is the large ferry over that you can roll right on to. Also you will have easier access to the other monorail resorts for shopping eating, character breakfast. You will have a completely redesigned room at the Polynesian in 2007 and by then Captain Cooks will be larger with more seating and an expanded and improved menu. You can view fireworks from WL but in my opinion it is much better from the Polynesian. The Polynesian also has its own character breakfast if you don’t want to go over to the Contemporary. It depends on if missing those things are worth the extra day. Maybe to you it is.

I'm with Tikiman. Personally, I'd choose the Poly over WL , esp. with your children's ages & the double-stroller.

We just stayed at the WL for 2 nights in Feb with our DD2, DS6 & DD9. As the WL is beautiful, everything is too spread out. The bus, yuk. And the boat, that's okay. We thought the resort was nice, but we'll be staying back at the Poly in October. Kids said they preferred the Poly over the WL. With you children's ages, I would go for the Poly no question! Have a great trip.

I have the opposite problem. We stayed at the WL and loved it. Now we too are planning a trip in August 2007 and are thinking of the Poly. But we had a such a great experience at WL that I'm really torn. Here are some things we liked about the WL...
- it was all enclosed so during a few rainy afternoons we just walked around looking in all the corners and relaxing in the lobby. we had a great time and didn't have to go outside at all
- the theming in the WL is amazing
- the main pool had a slide that our kids loved. it wasn't very big but much better than not having one at all
- we loved having dinner at WCC
- DH liked the fitness center
- bus to MK was usually a 5 minute ride
- the boat to MK was a nice change of pace but took a LOT longer

Our biggest issue was that we originally booked a standard view room. Although our kids loved the view of the fireworks at night, my DH couldn't stand the early morning noise. The room was right above a service area where trucks were making deliveries. After 2 nights we upgraded to a Woods View room. If I stayed at WL again I would spend the extra $ and not book Standard.

It's a tough choice, because we really, really love WL.

The Poly has too many transportation options over WL to ignore. First of all, the monorail next to the lobby is nice. Second, you can walk over to the TTC and catch a direct monorail to MK or EPCOT. The problem with the Poly's boats is that they are not handicapped-accessible. If you have strollers, they must be folded down on the Poly boats to MK. WL has the larger boats which are handicapped-accessible, unless there are really strong winds preventing the boat from staying level with the dock (rare). You can roll strollers right onto the WL boats. Bus transportation from WL to the other parks is about as good as it gets. But again, at the Poly you can walk to the TTC and catch that EPCOT monorail.

For kids, I'd give the edge to the WL pool. First of all, WL has a truly separate, dedicated kiddie pool for your 18 MO, Poly does not. Poly has an area where kids can run through these little water sprays, but that place racked our nerves with kids running through there at full speed, and it was almost impossible to keep your eye on one kid in that area and also another kid in the main pool. At WL, it's very easy to have one kid in the kiddie pool and one kid in the main pool and keep an eye on both. The WL slide is nowhere near as fun as the Poly slide. WL has 2 hot tubs, one truly hot and one more luke warmish that's safe for kids to go in. The Poly has no hot tubs. The Poly pool does have a 0-depth entry, the WL pool does not.

For this trip, with your kids being the age they are, I'd give the edge to the Poly. When they're older and don't need to be strolled as much, I might give the edge to WL. WL is, IMHO, the best-themed resort in all of WDW.

grimley1968 said:
. The problem with the Poly's boats is that they are not handicapped-accessible. If you have strollers, they must be folded down on the Poly boats to MK.

This is true and is why I mentioned that right next to Tahiti longhouse (at the TTC) you can board the large ferry to the MK that is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.

Have stayed at both and love both. They are beautiful resorts.

A really good point though is the difference in room size. When my kids were smaller we travelled with a double stroller (the wide jogging kind), used the pack n play for the little one, and then had all our luggage. If you will have all that stuff too it will get a little crowded in a regular WL room (other than the jr suite). The rooms at the Poly are much bigger.

I love trying different resorts but I also have to admit that being able to roll a double stroller right on the monorail is awesome. The CM's would direct us to one of the handicap cars so it would fit without folding it up.

So, with the age of your kids I would give the Poly the edge.

Good luck with our decision.

We stayed at WL this past November. (still havn't posted my reviews... yikes!) My boys were 2 and 4, and they LOVED it!!! We never left the room without the double stroller, and had no problems. They enjoyed the boat ride over to MK, and we never had to wait for more than a few minutes for one to arrive. My only complaint with transportation was the Epcot bus which took way to long getting in and out of Fort Wilderness on the way to the park. We had a courtyard view (had pin #) and could see the fireworks and the Electric light parade from our balcony. The boys loved looking at the pool and waterfall each morning. If we were in the room for the night, we folded up the stroller and stuck in the closet or on the balcony.

WL lobby is awesome and we found the staff to be great. We used the pool every day, and Roaring Forks was fine for quick snacks. We thought it was "just right" not too crowded or spread out. My kids ask every day if they can go back to the hotel.

We stayed at the WL with a 3.5 year old and a 13mos old. We had no problems with a double stroller or a pack-n-play in the room. DD loved the WL and called it her castle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter