Polynesian standard view vs. Akl savannah view club level

Summerskykate

Earning My Ears
I am planning a no parks trip mid August with a 4 year old and 9 year old.

I'm currently debating on either polynesian standard view or animal kingdom lodge savannah view club level. It's a difference of $100 more for the polynesian.

Again, we are planning on having a relaxing trip with no parks. We will be mostly hanging at the resort pool and eating / drinking. We may do a character meal, downtown disney, explore other resorts as well.

Please let me know what you guys feel would be a better choice as far as pools, entertainment at the hotel, food / drinks.

Thanks in advance ! <3

I'm probably not the best judge because our first stay at Poly isn't until May, but I have stayed several times at AKL club level. I absolutely love it. I think Poly is great for proximity to MK and the ability to walk to the Epcot monorail, but if you want a relaxing resort-only stay with kids, I think AKL (esp club level), would hands down be a wonderful choice. I'm taking my nieces for their first disney trip in October (age 4 and 9:)), and I booked AKL Club level. The animals, the whole vibe of the resort, the activities for kids....and the ability to utilize the lounge throughout the day in a resort-only stay is wonderful, especially if it's cheaper than Poly. GADisneyDad14 posted a great review, including rooms/food/activities on the Club level thread. I'll try to link it. Regardless, either resort is absolutely beautiful, have a great time!

Disney's Club Level (CL) Information and Questions

I'm currently debating on either polynesian standard view or animal kingdom lodge savannah view club level. It's a difference of $100 more for the polynesian.

Again, we are planning on having a relaxing trip with no parks. We will be mostly hanging at the resort pool and eating / drinking. We may do a character meal, downtown disney, explore other resorts as well.

Please let me know what you guys feel would be a better choice as far as pools, entertainment at the hotel, food / drinks.

Thanks in advance ! <3

The Poly is our favorite overall, but we also love AKL. I can't comment on CL at AKL, but the resort overall is beautiful and is a great place to stay for a resort only trip (IMO). As much as I love the Poly (and would usually choose that over any resort), AKL is appealing not only at a cheaper price, but includes CL. Since you will be spending most of your time at the resort, you can get a lot of use out of the CL lounge. I think both resorts have a lot to offer as far as food options, pool, etc, it just depends on which theme/decor/atmosphere you like the most. Good luck! :)

The Poly is our favorite overall, but we also love AKL. I can't comment on CL at AKL, but the resort overall is beautiful and is a great place to stay for a resort only trip (IMO). As much as I love the Poly (and would usually choose that over any resort), AKL is appealing not only at a cheaper price, but includes CL. Since you will be spending most of your time at the resort, you can get a lot of use out of the CL lounge. I think both resorts have a lot to offer as far as food options, pool, etc, it just depends on which theme/decor/atmosphere you like the most. Good luck! :)

These are my thoughts exactly! Also there are tons of free or low cost activities available at AKL, and I absolutely love the pool at Jambo. It's one of my top 3 favorite pools at Disney.

Disclaimer: I have never stayed at either Poly or AKL.

With that said, I think I would lean more towards the Poly in this case. Since you won't be going to the parks I feel like the Poly will offer you better access to other resorts, restaurants, etc. You could easily visit the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, or even Wilderness Lodge very easily from the Poly. But if you are at AKL and wanted to go to another resort that would require either an Uber or taking a Disney bus to a park and then to a resort.

We have a lot of experience at Poly (favorite overall resort) but stayed at AKL CL in April for a limited park-time/change of pace trip. Kids were 3 and 7 at the time so somewhat similar to you, although a little younger. Fell in love with AKL and AKL CL for many of the reasons mentioned by PPs. Pools were great (especially loved the pool at Kidani with the large slide, kids area, etc), tons to see and do, CL there is among my favorites (large lounge, abundant/tasty food offerings, friendly CMs, many of whom have been at AKL CL for a long time, the lounge overlooks the beautiful lobby, etc).

My kids got into collecting all of the bracelet beads doing the various activities which takes you pretty much all around the resort. Takes a few days to get through them all. We ended up cancelling what few park plans we did have so we could hang around the resort more/do activities.

Given what you describe, I vote AKL without much of a second thought.

BTW, :welcome: to the DIS!

I would definitely pick AKL for a non-parks trip. There's so much to do at the resort itself and I find the vibe very relaxing since it feels set apart from the rest of WDW.

A couple points in Poly's favor... if you like walking/running at your resort, I would keep in mind that there's plenty of room to do that at Poly but at AKL there's not a lot of grounds to explore because of the animals.

And SJSloan makes a good point that Poly is better situated for resort hopping since you can walk to GF and take the monorail to the Contemporary, but you can easily Uber to those resorts if you wanted to visit them.

If you wanted to save an Uber ride, you could combine a resort visit and Disney Springs. For instance, you could Uber to Polynesian to have breakfast there, take the bus to Disney Springs to go shopping, and then take the bus back to AKL when you were done.

Last edited:
No brainer. Stay at AKL. The Poly, while nice, is overpriced for sure. The fact that you can get a savannah room and club level for the same price as a standard room at the Poly should tell you how overpriced it is. AKL is the best bang for the buck hands down. We stayed at AKL in 2017 and had the same thing (savannah room and CL access) and it was INCREDIBLE.

My vote is for AKL CL. I think AKL is the perfect, non-park WDW vacation resort. Especially for $100 less than Poly! You will get great pools and a splash pad for the little ones, a view of the animals from your balcony, great restaurants and a ton of resort activities, PLUS the CL lounge. It's a great value when you compare what you are getting at AKL CL vs. just a standard (for more $$!) at Poly.

AKL CL for a no-parks, relaxing resort stay. That's what sis & I did for the first part (3 nights) of our 2 week trip to WDW. We still wandered around to the other resorts via bus (took bus to a park, then to a resort)

I also love both resorts but if not parks akl and cl? I'd choose akl hands down.

My ds at 6 and dd at8 loved it ! Actually I did too and considering I don't like Zoos that's saying a lot! It's just such a unique experience and kids that age will love it.

The poly is my favorite resort. That said, for a resort only trip I would pick AKL. I've never stayed there but I like that you will have CL ( beverages all day long ) and you will have plenty of time to enjoy the lounge. I love fireworks from the beach at the poly but seeing the castle would be a big tease.

Thanks in advance ! <3

I loved reading the responses to this because I feel the same as most! For a no-parks trip, to me, nothing could be better than AKL CL. You're removed enough from "the parks" that you won't miss them. I know I couldn't stay at Poly and see the Castle every day knowing we weren't going there! By staying at AKL, it sort of transforms you to another place. And having CL there is icing on the cake - perfect to stop in the lounge for food/drinks/snacks at all times of the day. AKL is like a destination itself, and I wouldn't hesitate to plan a no-parks or a light-parks trip there!

Read this wrong.

Club Level trumps everything

While not a fan of AKL I would pick it over poly if I were getting CL.

The only knock on AKL is the distance from the parks and since that’s not a factor for your trip the decision makes itself! You can always plan an evening at Poly to grab dinner & a dole whip of you need a Poly fix!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter