Poll- Your Pet peeves

Seams like the reasonable solution for Disney would be to ask upon booking if you plan to participate in the Formal Night, then group the dinning rotations accordingly.

That's not a terrible idea. Not sure how feasible it is though. It's not totally unlike the solution Royal Caribbean came up with in their "Dynamic Dining" system in their newest ship (Quantum of the Seas) and is expected to get rolled out to some existing ships eventually. For those not familiar, they do not have a MDR, rather a series of smaller restaurants that you reserve a table for each night. You could go to the same restaurant every night, if you so desire, or change it every night. One of those restaurants is formal-wear only every night. So those who want that experience get it (and could every night if they wish), and those that don't want that can avoid it entirely.

The cruising industry clearly has evolved tremendously. In so many ways. Where once upon a time, dinner each night was some elegant/formal "event", that is definitely no longer the case - like it or not. That's a result of probably the biggest change in the industry - the way they (the mass-market lines) now market aggressively to families and have made cruising a "mainstream" vacation. When I was growing up (I'm 42, BTW, for reference purposes), I never heard of any families taking a cruise for a vacation. Perception was that cruises were for retirees/senior citizens only. So with such a drasctic change in the clientele, it only makes sense that there would be drastic changes to the cruise experiences to suit the "new" clientele. Dinner is only one example of those changes.

Fwiw (regarding the mention of it) Royal seems to be delaying dynamic dining on the other ships and if I'm reading cruise critic right they might be pulling back from it on quantum. Something isn't working right about it.

Fwiw (regarding the mention of it) Royal seems to be delaying dynamic dining on the other ships and if I'm reading cruise critic right they might be pulling back from it on quantum. Something isn't working right about it.

Not to get too far off on a tangent (although, in this thread, that ship may have already sailed - pun fully intended! :tongue: ) and I'd have to look into it, but, I'm sure they can easily stop switching the older ships over to dynamic dining. However, I'm not sure how they pull back from it on Quantum since it was built without a loarger MDR. I always thought that while the concept is sound, the implementation/execution would be very difficult. Maybe that's proving to be the case.

YES!!! And along those lines, the pressure from some wait staff to mark "excellent".
....though this has only happened to us once- we usually adore our wait staff!!

I even got the "Only a 10 works" yesterday at Sprint. He started with "In a couple of days you'll get a survey..." and my brain went to "Blah, blah, blah..." And this guy actually closed with "1-9 I'm on the street. 10 I keep my job."

1.) People who try to save seats at the theater;
2.) People who are rude to CMs or otherwise act entitled;
3.) People who do not wait their turn in the elevator bays;
4.) People who stop dead in the middle of a busy passageway (i.e., the doors to Cabanas) instead of moving to the side;
5.) The survey ratings "push" in the MDR.

Being served food at Palo Brunch instead of serving ourselves is my biggest peeve lately. It feels so awkward and uncomfortable to me.

1.People crowding on to the elevator.
2.Parents allowing their kids to run wild through the atrium during an event; thus causing adults to trip over them. (dangerous for both kid and adult)
3.People talking loudly during the entire show.
and 4. not being able to rebook a cruise as quickly as I would like.

1.People crowding on to the elevator.
2.Parents allowing their kids to run wild through the atrium during an event; thus causing adults to trip over them. (dangerous for both kid and adult)
3.People talking loudly during the entire show.
and 4. not being able to rebook a cruise as quickly as I would like.

Amending 2 - Parents who allow their kids to run wild anywhere on the ship - halls, atrium, MDRs, Cabanas, pool deck (no one *should* be running there anyway)...anywhere is dangerous for the kids AND other people in the area.

1.) People who try to save seats at the theater;
2.) People who are rude to CMs or otherwise act entitled;
3.) People who do not wait their turn in the elevator bays;
4.) People who stop dead in the middle of a busy passageway (i.e., the doors to Cabanas) instead of moving to the side;
5.) The survey ratings "push" in the MDR.

#3!!!! I never quite realized how bad that one is until we cruised with my MIL who is in a wheel chair and we would stand a few feet back to make sure people getting off had room to do so and by the time those people were off others would just jump in ahead of us and leave her no room to get in. finally on the 3rd day I just started saying something to anyone who did this :p.

A couple more...

* People who leave their strollers in the hall.

* People who, when told by the deck supervisor that the strollers must be stored in the cabin find an "out of the way" spot in the stairwell to store them.

* And then people who, when unable to find said strollers in the stairwell proceed to yell at Guest Services (where they eventually located said strollers) for moving their strollers and acting like they were never told it had to be stored in the stateroom.

I actually witnessed all that on my last cruise.

The one before was another charmer... Parents who won't let their kids do Dine and Play, but ignore the kids while the adults talk. To the point the kids were throwing bits of roll, random green peas, and I'm not sure what else. I know the bread because our assistant waiter was hit with a bread ball (handled it beautifully) and a random pea landed on our table. Thankfully after it was cleared before dessert.

If you are going to refuse to allow your kids to leave dinner, pay attention to them!!

A couple more...

* People who leave their strollers in the hall.

* People who, when told by the deck supervisor that the strollers must be stored in the cabin find an "out of the way" spot in the stairwell to store them.

* And then people who, when unable to find said strollers in the stairwell proceed to yell at Guest Services (where they eventually located said strollers) for moving their strollers and acting like they were never told it had to be stored in the stateroom.

sounds like those people need a visit from the stroller pranksters...

And omg heck yes on the iPad thing. Not only is it obnoxious, and obstructive to others around them, but people look ridiculous holding it up to take pictures. It's like they're holding up a cookie sheet.

:lmao:
A cookie sheet! Lol! I love that description!
If the Tag Fairies were still around, I would want your tag to be "It's like they're holding up a cookie sheet."

1. Saving seats in the theater. I can let slide and understand saving one maybe even two seats not an entire row.
2. Saving deck chairs forever with just a towel. When I go to the pool deck I am out there for hours. I see it happen all the time people drop towels then I don't see them for about 2 hours later or sometimes not at all. If there not back within the hour and the deck is full, I give up their chair.
3. People just being inconsiderate.
Ex. I have seen a child struggling to reach something in the buffet and instead of helping the push past him get the same item and move on, I saw at least 4 people pass him up until I could help him. Only to be told I should keep a better eye on my kid. " News flash, he wasn't mine."
At pirate night, those push their way to a spot to stand last minute and fail to realize they are standing in front of a group of sitting kids.
4. Finally those who say I am inconsiderate and rude when I sit in the chairs at the theater of those who are trying to save the row, or if I move the towel so someone else can have a seat, or if I ask the people to please move.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter