Poll: Should WDW charge for parking at the Resorts?

Should WDW charge for parking an if yes then who should be charged?

• No, nobody should be charged to park.

• Yes, but NOT DVC members.

• Yes, Everyone to control parking and the increase revenue.

• Yes, but only off site guests.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dumbo71

DIS Veteran
OK,

The parking thread was really out of control. It seems to be such a hot topic. I'll try to do this right but sometimes these polls are tough to lay out properly.

There will be choices and they won't be just a yes or no choice. I also want to know if people think it is OK to charge some people the parking fee and not others so read the choices carefully.

Post away.:thumbsup2

I chose charge everyone, but I'm in favor of a system where everyone gets charged but there is a means of crediting back (validation system). In addition, I think that the parking fees should be high--$25.00 a day or more--to discourage misuse of the resort lots. Free two hours of parking for validated meal or shopping visits; unlimited free parking for guests of that resort itself (gets credited on your resort bill).

I chose charge everyone, but I'm in favor of a system where everyone gets charged but there is a means of crediting back (validation system). In addition, I think that the parking fees should be high--$25.00 a day or more--to discourage misuse of the resort lots. Free two hours of parking for validated meal or shopping visits; unlimited free parking for guests of that resort itself (gets credited on your resort bill).

I chose no don't charge anyone because I was thinking of all the people who eat and shop at the resorts...then I read this reply. This is a great way to go to avoid misuse of the resort parking!;)

considering the price everyone pays for their park tickets,no one should be charged for parking.
I think that parking should be charged for each car, since each car takes up roughly the same amount of room, so four people in one car uses up just as much parking space as one person in one car, while four people in four cars use up four times as much space, so they should pay four times as much.

A $25 fee for parking may discourage people from shopping or dining. Even with two hour forgiveness with validation. I know I wouldn't bother if I knew I'd have to keep an eye on my time in a given area. You couldn't shop then dine in the Boardwalk area for example. You could easily winding up losing more money than you gain from implementing this.

I think it would really be a pain to charge everyone then try to reimburse through hotel credit, especilly if it is a "pay at the guard gate" type thing. Imagine the back up in traffic at the lone guard shack, with one guard who also has other duties.

If they charge you when you check-in to your resort, then reimburse through credit, nothing is solved...off site guests don't check-in.

Automated systems would work, using card readers, except if ou have to insert a room key for free access, then a credit card for off site paid access, if the credit card is declined...another traffic back-up. Even in the best of times, credit card approval takes time.

Now, they could have an automated access for hotel keys, and all others stop at the guard shack, as they do at POP...but not all resorts have the room for two entry lanes, nor do all resorts have the current need for two entry lanes. And should a resort guest be sitting in line behind several people that have to pay, make change, etc.? Many resorts have their guard shack located close to the main roadway, Like OKW and the Poly, should traffic back up onto the roadway and block those folks not going to that particular resort?

Charging for people to park at resorts is a STUPID idea in Florida. This works well in cities because of the limited space.

Most hotels in Florida DO NOT charge for parking. Think people who clamor for $70 rates at the vaules are going to pay for parking?

I think it would really be a pain to charge everyone then try to reimburse through hotel credit, especilly if it is a "pay at the guard gate" type thing. Imagine the back up in traffic at the lone guard shack, with one guard who also has other duties.

If they charge you when you check-in to your resort, then reimburse through credit, nothing is solved...off site guests don't check-in.

Automated systems would work, using card readers, except if ou have to insert a room key for free access, then a credit card for off site paid access, if the credit card is declined...another traffic back-up. Even in the best of times, credit card approval takes time.

Now, they could have an automated access for hotel keys, and all others stop at the guard shack, as they do at POP...but not all resorts have the room for two entry lanes, nor do all resorts have the current need for two entry lanes. And should a resort guest be sitting in line behind several people that have to pay, make change, etc.? Many resorts have their guard shack located close to the main roadway, Like OKW and the Poly, should traffic back up onto the roadway and block those folks not going to that particular resort?

I agree with the general thrust of your post, but I really don't think the problem is as difficult as you suggest. There are several ways to make it work without creating the kinds of backups that you have suggested. One that works at a lot of large parking garages in Chicago is that you take a ticket when you come in. The ticket must then be validated to leave the lot and this is done at remote kiosks that you go to prior to getting your car. You then put the validated and paid ticket in to exit the lot. The technology is there and works--especially since you generally do not have tens of cars entering a given resort all at the same time. If there is worry about dovetailing with the guard shack, you have the guards push the button for the tickets and they hand them to the driver after checking ID's. BTW, the two hour rule was an example. Furthermore, the charge could be hourly up to four hours or so, and then kick up to the maximum. With thought and ingenuity it can work.

Not sure about this one, but since they already charge for valet, why not? I don't think DVC should pay though.

I agree with the general thrust of your post, but I really don't think the problem is as difficult as you suggest. There are several ways to make it work without creating the kinds of backups that you have suggested. One that works at a lot of large parking garages in Chicago is that you take a ticket when you come in. The ticket must then be validated to leave the lot and this is done at remote kiosks that you go to prior to getting your car. You then put the validated and paid ticket in to exit the lot. The technology is there and works--especially since you generally do not have tens of cars entering a given resort all at the same time. If there is worry about dovetailing with the guard shack, you have the guards push the button for the tickets and they hand them to the driver after checking ID's. BTW, the two hour rule was an example. Furthermore, the charge could be hourly up to four hours or so, and then kick up to the maximum. With thought and ingenuity it can work.

I don't know, there have already been back-ups at OKW at the guard shack, without paying. Short distance between road and entry...lost guests, or time to check the name on a ressie for check-in...add a couple of buses and a couple cars...and the street is blocked. Now, a delay to exit the resort by having to use a card reader to see if the guest paid parking to open the gate.

My immediate reaction was "yes, but not for DVC members", but as I think about it now, I think it would make more sense to only charge "off site" guests for parking, just like they do at the parks.

My immediate reaction was "yes, but not for DVC members", but as I think about it now, I think it would make more sense to only charge "off site" guests for parking, just like they do at the parks.

Same here. I chose to charge off-site guests only.

sometimes I stay offsite (like this next trip) partially. So if I have to pay for parking I won't be dinning or shopping at WDW on my offsite vist.

I think WDW makes enough money off people not staying at their resorts - but just visiting to be okay with no one paying for parking. Not to mention the people staying at a WDW Disney resort on their next visit because they enjoyed walking through it, shopping or lunch so much.

when I eat lunch at the Kona Cafe - most of the other people aren't staying at the Polyn. (okay the ones I talk too). now breakfast and dinner - yes those are mostly Polyn guest - but lunch is different.

Besides a few years ago with the Dolphin and Swan started to charge for parking - Disney did not. So I don't expect them to do it.

there are several resorts in Orlando that charge guest for parking in their resorts - the Universal's Hotels (Loews), Marriott's world center, Dolphin & Swan, J W Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Gaylord (even when the overflow has to park at the Pop), and some more that I don't remember.

Charging for people to park at resorts is a STUPID idea in Florida. This works well in cities because of the limited space.
The problem is that there are some hotels with limited space in the parking lots. The parking fee, perhaps, therefore should be limited to those hotels (Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Yacht and Beach Club and BoardWalk), where charging people to park would be a GOOD idea.

It may be stupid idea but many hotels in the Disney area are charging for parking. Shades of Green, Swan and Dolphin all charge and they're located on Disney property. The three Universal hotels charge. Gaylord Palms charges. The large Marriott Convention hotel charges. I think the JW Marriott charges.

I'm sure the bean counters at Disney are at least considering charging resort guests for parking.

Most hotels in Florida DO NOT charge for parking. Think people who clamor for $70 rates at the vaules are going to pay for parking?

considering the price everyone pays for their park tickets,no one should be charged for parking.

Almost any entertainment venue charges for parking. In Pittsburgh, we have a summer ampitheater out in the middle of nowhere, they charge $10.

I voted to charge off-site guests. If you have a valid room key then you get to park at your resort, or any resort, free of charge. If you only want to stop by a resort, for dinner and a bit of shopping, then you get 3 hrs free parking. After that 3 hr. mark, it's $5 an hour. There really arn't all that many people shopping at the resorts. Eating? Yes, especially at the deluxes.
But there have been just so many people asking if they can park at BW or YC/BC so they can eat and then go to Epcot or MGM. If you leave your car longer than 3 hrs. you get charged. Your ticket gets time-stamped, just like any other lot, and the ticket taker sticks it in a 'reader' and tells you how much you owe.

Resorts that take that approach hire an outside company. That company is responsible for security, maintaining the gates and supplying the employees that collect money.

The cost of hiring that company is generally paid by charging resort guests.

Unfortuantely the cost of implementing your suggestion will probably be paid by resort guests. DVC resorts might be different.

If you leave your car longer than 3 hrs. you get charged. Your ticket gets time-stamped, just like any other lot, and the ticket taker sticks it in a 'reader' and tells you how much you owe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter