PLEASE HELP! Sick kid. Cruise leaves tomorrow.

Van should be here any minute I think. I haven't eaten all day. I'm starving and need bed. This is not a good day. Can only get better right? It's prez weekend and I'm praying we can even get a room. Hospital bill $6000. I had to pay $1400 up front. Insurance reimburses. Let this be a lesson. Always keep a $5000 EMPTY card or have that cash available when traveling. My refund won't be instant, but I have enough savings to cover a week at akl with dink g and tix if she gets better, plus the med bill.

President's weekend is next weekend. I'm sure Disney will take care of you.

The important thing is that your daughter got the help she needed and will be okay - what a scary experience - I'm sure it's been nerve wracking!!

I hope she continues to feel better and you can enjoy a few days at WDW.

Big hugs to you and your dd Momma! We just went through something similar. We arrived at Disney on Sunday with the intention of doing a "land and sea" vacation. 4 nights at Coronado Springs, 3 nights on the Dream, sailing Thursday.

Tuesday we went to bed only to have our son wake up at 2:30 am vomiting everywhere. The rest of the story is similar to yours, vomiting diarrhea, high fever, stomach pain. He felt better then it came back with a vengeance. Our son is also a Type 1 Diabetic so for him not to be able to keep anything down is super scarey. He needs to eat to take his insulin injections to keep keatones (acids) from building up in his blood, but he needs to ingest sugars to balance the insulin. Not fun. We are also Canadian so very unfamiliar with how the American medical system works(other than you have to actually pay for health services there).

At any rate, we had to cancel our cruise, change our flights and we got him home safely....but what a long frightening few days it was! He is still ill (as is his older brother now), but they are now able to keep fluids down :thumbsup2

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone....you absolutely did do the right thing not dragging your poor sick dd to port......I totally understand feeling scared, stranded and helpless because we just went through the same thing. Good luck to you and your sweet dd. I hope she (and you) are feeling better real soon :flower3:

Van still not here. Left an hour ago. My poor kiddo is weak, sick and tired and crying. I'm about ready to have a panic attack from exhaustion.

Big hugs to you and your dd Momma! We just went through something similar. We arrived at Disney on Sunday with the intention of doing a "land and sea" vacation. 4 nights at Coronado Springs, 3 nights on the Dream, sailing Thursday.

Tuesday we went to bed only to have our son wake up at 2:30 am vomiting everywhere. The rest of the story is similar to yours, vomiting diarrhea, high fever, stomach pain. He felt better then it came back with a vengeance. Our son is also a Type 1 Diabetic so for him not to be able to keep anything down is super scarey. He needs to eat to take his insulin injections to keep keatones (acids) from building up in his blood, but he needs to ingest sugars to balance the insulin. Not fun. We are also Canadian so very unfamiliar with how the American medical system works(other than you have to actually pay for health services there).

At any rate, we had to cancel our cruise, change our flights and we got him home safely....but what a long frightening few days it was! He is still ill (as is his older brother now), but they are now able to keep fluids down :thumbsup2

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone....you absolutely did do the right thing not dragging your poor sick dd to port......I totally understand feeling scared, stranded and helpless because we just went through the same thing. Good luck to you and your sweet dd. I hope she (and you) are feeling better real soon :flower3:
Yikes!! I'm type 1 (wear an insulin pump) and I know this feeling very well and it adds another layer to the illness as you explained. I'm glad to hear he is doing better but sorry you had to go through this too. I hope everyone in your house feels better soon!! :goodvibes

Take care,
Heather

Instead of quoting the post, report it. It is easy for the WMs to trace who signed up for that account just now for the sole purpose of being rude by matching the IPs.

lbgraves said:
Instead of quoting the post, report it. It is easy for the WMs to trace who signed up for that account just now for the sole purpose of being rude by matching the IPs.

I'm new to this ! Thanks for the tip .

lbgraves said:

Can you report someone for just being mean I would love to do that in this case

Life lessons . I learned a lot from the OP ! Take care & hope tomorrow is a better day for you & your daughter ...

sandrakit said:
Life lessons . I learned a lot from the OP ! Take care & hope tomorrow is a better day for you & your daughter ...

I learned something as well. I will make sure I have better trip insurance for our next cruise.

My son threw up the night before our cruise, no fever, no they signs of being sick. We figured he pigged out on dinner the night before and the food was too rich. We boarded and had no other problems on the cruise. I was panicked just like OP was at first though so I can totally relate!

I hope your daughter gets to feeling better quickly.

Van should be here any minute I think. I haven't eaten all day. I'm starving and need bed. This is not a good day. Can only get better right? It's prez weekend and I'm praying we can even get a room. Hospital bill $6000. I had to pay $1400 up front. Insurance reimburses. Let this be a lesson. Always keep a $5000 EMPTY card or have that cash available when traveling. My refund won't be instant, but I have enough savings to cover a week at akl with dink g and tix if she gets better, plus the med bill.

Glad to hear that you have enough savings to pay for bill. It would have been good for you to know exactly how your insurance worked before you travelled there, but at least you had the money to pay that portion of the bill.Something very similar happened to us at WDW and our baby was ambulanced to Arnold Palmer's Children's Hospital. We didn't have to pay a cent, as I am a Canadian teacher and have premium health insurance, so it would seem that you have a different type of insurance.

Regardless of that, we had to keep all paperwork and our insurance company then sent us the entire hospital bill approx. 6 weeks after we returned, to confirm that they paid for the proper procedures, meds, etc. I know this has been a tough situation, but make sure you keep all paperwork so that it will make it easier with your insurance, as you now have to deal with health insurance and travel insurance claims.

So sorry that your child was ill, but glad he is feeling better now.

Both your story and the OP's story is a lesson for out of country visitors to learn about the health system of the country they are visiting before they actually visit there, as well as to make sure that you understand how all insurance works (eg. travel, health) as they may require payment upfront, copays, etc.

I hope the OP's child is feeling better. Our experience at Arnold Palmer's Children Hospital was superb, and I hope the OP's daughter is receiving wonderful treatment as well.

Tiger

Actually, neither of those statements are very accurate . . .
I think following the doctor's advice and taking the next cruise if the doctor agrees is a great idea, and the hand sanitizer should do a good job (but use soap and water if available)

Hand sanitizer does not work on many GI viruses so please use soap and water and plenty of it.

I learned something as well. I will make sure I have better trip insurance for our next cruise.

DCL insurance is not necessarily bad. The best thing to do is research all of them before you decide. If you go with another insurance and they decline your claim, you are stuck. If you go with DCL and the insurance denies it for any reason, DCL gives you a full credit. We stuck with DCL for that reason.

I'm not saying they are better. They are expensive, don't cover pre-existing, and only cover the cruise. It's just worth looking into all of your options.

Apparently there is an AKL van on its way! OMG this is a nightmare. No one really speaks English here and barely understands us. I feel like I'm in a foreign country not the USA.
Heh, welcome to Orlando. :) I am glad they are helping you out though. Sounds like they are going above and beyond in that department. What a nightmare for you all! I hope she startes feeling better real soon.

Can you report someone for just being mean I would love to do that in this case

Absolutely!

In this case, we had an "EX"-poster who has nothing better to do on a Saturday night than come here and be a troll. He mistakenly believes there is no way to track him on the internet and tries to impress others with his lack of knowledge on a wide variety of topics - mainly involving cruises. His posts have been removed from this thread, so only those who have already seen them will know what transpired earlier this evening.

For future reference, it helps us all to avoid engaging him and especially NOT to quote such posts. Please just use the red triangle at the lower left of his posts to make a report so the WMs can review the posts and deal with this ourselves.

As is the case with most trolls, making comments just serves to encourage them. The best policy is just to avoid any interaction and let their comments be viewed for the ignorance they really exemplify. Most trolls (and most definitely this troll) need interaction from others to satisfy their sad need for attention. Ignoring the behavior of this insensitive lout helps to at least remove whatever sick enjoyment he derives from his immature actions.

Thanks in advance for reporting behavior like this along with refraining from trying to engage him in any meaningful interaction as he is clearly incapable of civil discussion.

DCLMOM13 - I hope your daughter is feeliing better!

WebmasterDoc said:
Absolutely!

In this case, we had an "EX"-poster who has nothing better to do on a Saturday night than come here and be a troll. He mistakenly believes there is no way to track him on the internet and tries to impress others with his lack of knowledge on a wide variety of topics - mainly involving cruises. His posts have been removed from this thread, so only those who have already seen them will know what transpired earlier this evening.

For future reference, it helps us all to avoid engaging him and especially NOT to quote such posts. Please just use the red triangle at the lower left of his posts to make a report so the WMs can review the posts and deal with this ourselves.

As is the case with most trolls, making comments just serves to encourage them. The best policy is just to avoid any interaction and let their comments be viewed for the ignorance they really exemplify. Most trolls (and most definitely this troll) need interaction from others to satisfy their sad need for attention. Ignoring the behavior of this insensitive lout helps to at least remove whatever sick enjoyment he derives from his immature actions.

Thanks in advance for reporting behavior like this along with refraining from trying to engage him in any meaningful interaction as he is clearly incapable of civil discussion.

DCLMOM13 - I hope your daughter is feeliing better!

I do put up worth a lot look at my history however this just crossed the line with me

You know some fail to realize we shouldn't be rude a focus on attacking. We should be focused on her daughter and how we would feel in their shoes. Me I don't see dcl travel insurance or who said what. I see a mom and daughter displaced in a city not of their own. Missing out on something magical. Something they both spent countless hours looking forward to. I know I'm not the only one to say this but I am thinking how I would be in their shoes. How I would be feeling, if this was ny child what would I do. And as a cast member what can I do to put the slightest smile on their faces. And we shouldn't care about formalities we should care about health and happiness. So to this family I sate that I am sorry for all sadness and pain placed upon you and I hope that tomorrow bring a bright new day and something good comes your way.

stichandangel said:
You know some fail to realize we shouldn't be rude a focus on attacking. We should be focused on her daughter and how we would feel in their shoes. Me I don't see dcl travel insurance or who said what. I see a mom and daughter displaced in a city not of their own. Missing out on something magical. Something they both spent countless hours looking forward to. I know I'm not the only one to say this but I am thinking how I would be in their shoes. How I would be feeling, if this was ny child what would I do. And as a cast member what can I do to put the slightest smile on their faces. And we shouldn't care about formalities we should care about health and happiness. So to this family I sate that I am sorry for all sadness and pain placed upon you and I hope that tomorrow bring a bright new day and something good comes your way.

Amen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter