PLEASE HELP! Sick kid. Cruise leaves tomorrow.

stichandangel said:
You know some fail to realize we shouldn't be rude a focus on attacking. We should be focused on her daughter and how we would feel in their shoes. Me I don't see dcl travel insurance or who said what. I see a mom and daughter displaced in a city not of their own. Missing out on something magical. Something they both spent countless hours looking forward to. I know I'm not the only one to say this but I am thinking how I would be in their shoes. How I would be feeling, if this was ny child what would I do. And as a cast member what can I do to put the slightest smile on their faces. And we shouldn't care about formalities we should care about health and happiness. So to this family I sate that I am sorry for all sadness and pain placed upon you and I hope that tomorrow bring a bright new day and something good comes your way.

Well said!

Hand sanitizer does not work on many GI viruses so please use soap and water and plenty of it.
Like I said, soap and water should be used with good hand washing technique whenever possible. But, hand sanitizer does work, and I think it prudent that people be careful but understand that the cruise precautions like the hand sanitizer wipes DO work in many cases ( so that they are less likely to "just not fool with that" as I have heard before)

As for the your other original statement, since the OP had not yet seen a doctor, it didn't seem very accurate to claim that her child was likely still contagious.

I merely suggested that OP take her child to a doctor and follow that diagnosis appropriate advice about whether to attempt the cruise at any point.

To OP, I am very glad you took your child to get medical attention! I will be praying for you both and hope you can have a good vacation post recovery ((HUGS)). It warms my heart, as well, to hear that Disney stepped up to take care of you. One of the many reasons I love everything about the Mouse :)

I just saw this thread and wow. Praying things are better. I couldn't find post of if there was medical attention... But this is a lot to go through. I hope you are ok.

Lollipop's Mom

Please let us know how your daughter is doing.
Did you get a room? Still at AKL?

Were you able to change flights or are you able to stay until your original flights leave?

Sending you a Pm
NW

PS- for those that don't know- She is the one that started the Vancouver Thread and has spent countless hours helping others on the dis- me included.

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day. :goodvibes

I hope some food & good night's sleep have you both feeling so much better tomorrow. :hug:

Just read the whole thread. Lollypops Mom-I hope you and your daughter get the rest you so need and deserve at AKL. You will both be in my prayers. I just can't even imagine what you went through-very scary for you and your daughter. Keep us posted when you are up to it-there are alot of us who care! Hugs!!!!

Siggy aka Jill

Sending payers and pixie dust across the ocean to you and your precious daughter, sweetie. Hope things get better soon and that you will be able to re-schedule your trip soon.
Hope you are able to update us soon - we are all rooting for you xxx

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day. :goodvibes

I hope some food & good night's sleep have you both feeling so much better tomorrow. :hug:

I miss that attraction! Carousel of Progress! Way back ... when I was little and the attraction was here in Anaheim, the dog was called "Sport";)

OP, heres some :wizard: pizzie dust to hoping everything is ok! :hug:

hope today starts much better for lollipops mom and her daughter, and she is feeling better! This has made me realize how important the fine print can be when it comes to insurance, we cruise in a few weeks and havent bought my medical insurance yet but will make sure I totally understand what is covered before buying. I really hope they are able to at least have a few great days at disney ,they certainly deserve it after all they have been through! Thoughts and prayers to the family!:thumbsup2

. We had disney send a medical person to our room last night. They said its a virus.

As for the your other original statement, since the OP had not yet seen a doctor, it didn't seem very accurate to claim that her child was likely still contagious.

The child had already received medical attention and was diagnosed with a virus. How was the claim "likely still contagious" very inaccurate?

The child's symptoms worsened and the OP sought further medical treatment. Thankfully, she didn't drag her child on the ship.

This strain of norovirus is especially resistant and extremely contagious.

OP, I hope your child is doing better and pray you do not become sick either.

:hug: and prayers!

TLSnell1981 said:
The child had already received medical attention and was diagnosed with a virus. How was the claim "likely still contagious" very inaccurate?

The child's symptoms worsened and the OP sought further medical treatment. Thankfully, she didn't drag her child on the ship.

This strain of norovirus is especially resistant and extremely contagious.

OP said her daughter was diagnosed with a "super flu." I have no idea what she is referring to...?

Does she mean Norovirus or other equally challenging stomach bug, which is not the flu or did she mean influenza which is respiratory?

Either of those could seriously dehydrate a child, so I am glad she took her to the hospital as well.

Hoping OP and her daughter are feeling better today!

Tiger

OP said her daughter was diagnosed with a "super flu." I have no idea what she is referring to...?

Does she mean Norovirus or other equally challenging stomach bug, which is not the flu or did she mean influenza which is respiratory?

Either of those could seriously dehydrate a child, so I am glad she took her to the hospital as well.

Hoping OP and her daughter are feeling better today!

Tiger

The Sydney norovirus is considered a "super flu". Unfortunately, we can "catch it" more than once.

Influenza CAN have gi symptoms as well. The current strains that are wrecking havoc in the US (not all of them but the ones causing the majority of the cases) have been respiratory in nature. But we also have to remember this poster is from Canada and Vancouver at that which means she comes from a city with many visitors and a population from an area of the world where some of the most intense strains of flu have started (bird flu, pig flu, I can go on and on at many of the novelle strains that have started in Asia). I am by no means saying that is what she has, but the fact should not be ignored that she likely has more chance to exposure to intense and a variety strains than someone coming from Iowa who doesn't live in such a diverse cultural local. No one will know EXACTLY what she has until cultures are done and unless they are, then what she has is pure speculation on everyone INCLUDING THE DOCTOR'S part.

TLSnell1981 said:
The Sydney norovirus is considered a "super flu". Unfortunately, we can "catch it" more than once.

Norovirus is not a flu. They are two separate illnesses. Sydney norovirus is called a winter vomiting bug, but it is not the flu.

Just wondering what exactly the OP's daughter was diagnosed with - respiratory (flu) or gastro (noro, tummy bug)?

Tiger

Update. Thanks for so many kind messages. I appreciate it.
Here is where we are at.
Disney got us into AKL club level for $200 a night emergency rate. This way I have easy access to things.
But...... Only 2 nights.
I just talked to them and after a half hour of them seeing what they could do, the only thing was if I want to pay $3000 for 5 more nights. Ummm no I'm not going to pay $3000 to sit in a room and watch my child vomit. So they have worked magic and got us transferring to por tomorrow for $750 taxes in for 5 more days. I refuse to leave disney property. They have been so good to us.
My daughter still has a 103 fever as her body fights this infection.
My breakfast/lunch consists of club snacks they let me load a bag with.
I just want her better and to get her home, but one day at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter