Please help me think this thru

ProudMommyof2

DIS Veteran
I have been researching DVC for a long time.
We have rented points several times, staying at AKV, BCV, HHI (several times) and PVB.
We most recently took our 1st trip alone since the kids were born, both now in college.

We are finally in the position to purchase, and hubby is realizing Disney is indeed fun with or without kids.

My husband is a teacher, so we will be traveling between December-July (mostly Feb-July). I see some studio stays for just the two of us. But, 1 or 2 beds if we bring the kids (and someday spouses).

I have been looking extensively at resale but would like a blue card if it is not a crazy price difference. I want the option to stay at future resorts, discounts, etc.
Planning on starting with 125 points, with a possible 125 point add on later (one for each kid).

so- now the decision. Considering either direct SSR or resale for BLT. I would be fine staying at SSR, but would likely mostly be looking to change at 7 months. I like BLT though studios are small.

WWYD? Buy direct now and add on resale later? Or buy resale at a resort we like more and add on direct later (RIV is not an option).
TIA and sorry for being so long+winded

We started out with resale and just added on direct for the blue card. I do believe that the 125 point minimum will eventually go up and end up costing more. If it were me honestly I would start with getting the 125 minimum to get the perks which I know right now are few but hoping this does change going forward once we are past the pandemic. That being said, after that I would totally go resale from there. We purchased our resale at OKW and our direct with Riviera. SSR will cost less I believe point wise. It really is a hard decision and only you can make the call. But I was in similar position and this was our choice. Best of luck going forward.

I have been researching DVC for a long time.
We have rented points several times, staying at AKV, BCV, HHI (several times) and PVB.
We most recently took our 1st trip alone since the kids were born, both now in college.

We are finally in the position to purchase, and hubby is realizing Disney is indeed fun with or without kids.

My husband is a teacher, so we will be traveling between December-July (mostly Feb-July). I see some studio stays for just the two of us. But, 1 or 2 beds if we bring the kids (and someday spouses).

I have been looking extensively at resale but would like a blue card if it is not a crazy price difference. I want the option to stay at future resorts, discounts, etc.
Planning on starting with 125 points, with a possible 125 point add on later (one for each kid).

so- now the decision. Considering either direct SSR or resale for BLT. I would be fine staying at SSR, but would likely mostly be looking to change at 7 months. I like BLT though studios are small.

WWYD? Buy direct now and add on resale later? Or buy resale at a resort we like more and add on direct later (RIV is not an option).
TIA and sorry for being so long+winded
If you want that blue card and you want points that can be used at future resorts, buy direct. Choose a home resort that you love, not one that you merely settle for. It doesn't have to be RIV. You can buy a direct contract at any resort except possibly VGC. There are going to be times that you won't be able to switch at 7 months, especially if you want studios. You're paying a lot of money for your points. You should not have to compromise on where you're staying most of the time. Assume that your home resort will be the one that you stay at most often. That may not end up being the case but it sure beats feeling stuck if you don't love your home resort.

would like a blue card if it is not a crazy price difference. I want the option to stay at future resorts, discounts, etc.
One thing to ask yourself: is the blue card motivated by a specific, concrete, current perk, or is it "there might be something that is worth it someday?" The former might be reasons to buy direct. The latter really are not from where I sit. For example, if RIV doesn't hold that much attraction for you, but there is some not-yet-announced resort that might, that's maybe not a great reason to buy direct. Make that decision when it comes later.

Disney is getting a lot of mileage out of FUD--Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt--in their marketing for DVC right now. It's easy to get caught up in it. That's not to say you shouldn't buy direct! After all, DVC is at the end of the day an emotional decision, not a financial one, but it is worth going in with your eyes as wide open as possible.

If you want that blue card and you want points that can be used at future resorts, buy direct. Choose a home resort that you love, not one that you merely settle for. It doesn't have to be RIV. You can buy a direct contract at any resort except possibly VGC. There are going to be times that you won't be able to switch at 7 months, especially if you want studios. You're paying a lot of money for your points. You should not have to compromise on where you're staying most of the time. Assume that your home resort will be the one that you stay at most often. That may not end up being the case but it sure beats feeling stuck if you don't love your home resort.

I 100% agree with this! Spot on. The old saying holds true- buy where you want to stay. :)

I agree there's a lot of FOMO in the Blue Card push right now. There are no "future resorts." There are no AP discounts (and does that matter for a couple anyway?).

You have to decide if the Blue Card is for you in the concrete, actual offerings. I promise, Disney will be more than happy to take your money if the "future resort" ever does arrive and you can trade in your resale then. even assuming the previous discounts, you could have gotten a normal AP from July-Feb for two trips, then repeat. For my family, it never broke even.

In your stage of life and purchasing needs, I actually lean to BW/BC right outside Epcot. Expires in 2042 and done! Add in their excellent, legacy chart, take the grandkids to Stormalong Bay, and they are looking good!

If you really love BLT then I would buy there. There is a big difference between direct and resale pricing for BLT so personally I would buy resale. And then when you add on direct to get blue card status in the future it will be much easier to match up use year to what you already purchased.

We did a hybrid-bought at a resort where we loved to stay, AKV, but also use as sleep around points, as it's at a lower price point than some of the other resorts. Exit plan in 7-10 years unless kids want it, so I'd only buy at 2054+ and hope for residual resale value. IMHO, the legacy resorts are very nice and I am fine to not be able to use resale points at RIV+ resorts. There have been many posts about what happens when RIV and other newer resorts can book at 7 months to legacy, but resale resorts can't book RIV and possibly getting an imbalance. If that ever happens of somehow no swaps at 7 months, we'll be fine at AKV and AKV has enough of a unique draw that I think it'll stay popular for future resale. I bought at DVC to stay at DVC and benefits are a bonus-not worth it to me to buy direct unless it was very marginal difference (from someone who has a small direct contract and used it for DVC members cruise, DVC AP, moonlight madness, etc.).

So when I was looking at first buying DVC we almost bought direct at Poly for 100 points, signed papers and everything, but I canceled that transaction. Poly wasn't where we really wanted to stay, and we didn't like the studio only situation there. I learned about resale, and buying resale at SSR seemed like a very smart move to make. SSR is a very nice resort, I enjoyed our stay there a couple years ago, but I knew that I would be disappointed in the future if I couldn't stay at BLT. It didn't make sense to spend the amount of money DVC costs only to regret every trip I didn't get to stay at BLT. Buy where you want to stay is great advice someone told me, and I happily tell others the same thing.

Granted the price difference when I bought in July of 2017 wasn't as big as it was now. I think SSR was is in the high 80's/low 90's at the time and I paid 125 for BLT. You have to think though, the initial buy in cost of DVC is a one time cost. The most expensive part of DVC is using it. Between the dues, and tickets, and all the other costs with DVC, the buy in price isn't the really expensive part.

The blue card thing... I feel twofaced when I tell people it's not worth it, or its not that big of a deal because I bought 25 direct points to get one. That was 4 years ago though, and things have changed. I'm 100% sure I wouldn't buy 125 direct BLT points at 245 a point to get one right now though. I had no problem buying 25 points at 191 though.

Thanks everyone! It’s hard. The cost is about the same, just one is direct and he other resale.
I also like the cost per point and points needed to get rooms at SSR. I want a December use year, and direct comes with 2020 points and prorated dues for 2021.
I just like BLT better for location.
I want to decide ASAP because i am concerned SSR will go up for direct after the 12th.

Thanks everyone! It’s hard. The cost is about the same, just one is direct and he other resale.
I also like the cost per point and points needed to get rooms at SSR. I want a December use year, and direct comes with 2020 points and prorated dues for 2021.
I want to decide ASAP because i am concerned SSR will go up for direct after the 12th.
Jump right onto the current SSR direct deal.. you will have “peace of mind” of making the deal quick, easy, at a reasonable price… then you could take your time to do a resale purchase..

So here is my first thought if you want that Blue Card and you are planning to pass it down to your kids... Do you care if one of your kids inherits the Blue Card and the other one might not? Buying a 125-point direct SSR contract now will get you that Blue Card. In the future, let's say they bump that up to 150 points, you can buy another direct 125-point SSR contract and you will still have a Blue Card since you have the minimum. But when you pass those 125-point contracts to your kids, one will have the Blue Card, and the other...I'm not sure. If I'm thinking this logic correctly, the 125-point contract that is was purchased below the threshold will not carry Blue-Card rights. (Please correct if I'm wrong!) If this possibility is okay with you then it's perfectly fine.

That said, if you are talking long term and will always look to change at 7 months (or pass it to your kids), I would probably go for resale at BLT. The resale restrictions, although seems tighter for Riviera resales right now, will slightly reverse as the 2042 resorts expire. Resale now has 14 original resorts to choose from along with direct purchasers. In 2043, resale purchaser will be down to 9 original resorts to choose from along with the other direct purchasers competing. I predict that switching over to BLT at that time will be much harder than it is now. By buying resale at BLT, at least you are locking in the 11-month rights ahead of the others.

This is pre-caffeine thinking, so please forgive if flawed! :rotfl2:

Another direction might be to buy two 65 point direct contracts at the same resort. You get your blue card for the foreseeable future (let's face it who knows what the kids will want?) You have an equal amount for each child. At some point you can add two more 65 direct contracts at the same or a different resort. IMO prices will continue to increase along with resale so if you are ready it is as good a time as ever.

You can add on resale when you want and where you want if you need more points.

This is just a different strategy you might not have considered. Honestly, I'd buy two loaded contracts and enjoy!

We buy when we find a deal and we sell if we can flip for a decent profit. As OP mentioned, you can unload at a future date and buy the shiny new resort. Don't feel like you are locked in for life, though if you buy for a blue card, in a way you are and that is why I suggest resale.

Good for you for doing your research and putting much thought into your purchase! Best of luck!

With these considerations, SSR direct is a no brainer. And yea, sooner than later. You can always get BLT resale when a good contract pops up, which I think will be a while for it to cool down.

If you plan to pass this down, it might be worth running this by your estate attorney before you do this. I would put mine in an LLC in my home state to avoid Florida probate, with a robust Blue Carded board, but my estate will already be dealing with LLCs and such. The other way people do this is trusts. You might be able to get everyone Blue Carded and avoid probate if you do it right. This is a large real estate transaction you plan to put in your estate. It's worth it to do it the right way now with a lawyer in your home state.

About the blue card vs white card thing. I wouldn't get too caught up in that. It has it's value for the folks that visit multiple times a year and/or have good sized families. As for my wife and I, we will only go every other year, once a year max. So for us it just makes sense to buy resale and save the $14,500 up front vs. buying direct.

We bought SSR Direct after an OKW Resale was taken at ROFR. We are glad it did.

I've mentioned this in many threads, but if you are wanting to book something that is coming up on the 7 month mark you don't want to wait for the resale to close as you'll likely "lose" some of the savings.

We purchased direct in mid to late February and were lucky enough to grab 3 Poly nights for the following weekend. Now for this summer we have 5 nights @ BLT Lake View, 5 nights @ Riviera Preferred, and 7 nights @ BWV Garden View. With resale we likely would not have gotten those and would be paying cash for our summer trip, negating most, if not all of the resale savings.

My 2 Cents: if you're okay with financing :scared1: (which I know is a 'dirty' word on the threads) I would - and did - bite the bullet to buy the minimum blue card amount. We paid our loan off in have the time (the default is 10 years). If you have the cash = even better, and it gets that gambit off the table immediately. We took a year before we added on from our minimum purchase (which in '08 was 160) but they gave us a years worth of points at the time we bought so we had 320 points. Personally, I think that just sucks you in to know you need more than the minimum. But owning DVC was A LOT DIFFERENT that renting or CRO. That year gave us time to really understand what DVC does - and does not - do for you. It also gave time to use a few of the DVC homes to see what was our preferred location. We thought it would be Bay Lake but it turned out to be Beach Club.

Outside of December, BLT Studio is pretty doable Feb-July, so you have a decent chance of getting a studio at 7 months (and pretty likely for 1BRs). Admittedly, I *do* believe in buying where you want to stay, but if you want Direct, the price difference between SSR and BLT direct is pretty high. Another possibility is AKV, if that's a resort you wouldn't mind getting stuck at if you can't get 7 month availability at BLT.

I will say that just looking at the options I would go resale BLT to be able to more easily book there for the studios with the proximity to MK.

The downside with SSR is that if you are trying to get a resort next to the parks its going to be hard to get in any room type other than 1BR around Easter or 4th likely.

If you don't mind staying at SSR then I likely go direct for the direct benefits.

My major thing is that I am not a fan of BLT at all and would prefer any MK resort over it.

Jump right onto the current SSR direct deal.. you will have “peace of mind” of making the deal quick, easy, at a reasonable price… then you could take your time to do a resale purchase..

This is exactly right. We exhausted ourselves of research and deals for resale at SSR, but buying direct with the point discount going on was too enticing, so that's what we did last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!