Please DO NOT ignore the signs

fly girl

DIS Veteran
I type this with an extremely heavy heart. I have been absent on the boards because we had a very unexpected death of my brother in law at the age of 53. By appearances, he was in overall good health. Sadly, a massive heart attack took his life way too soon. He leaves behind his 16 year old son.

We do not know if he ignored the signs. However, I have a dear friend who is 49 undergo a quadruple bypass AND 4 stents this year. He initially brushed off his symptoms. His wife forced him to go in.

It is very easy to dismiss warning signs when you are living a busy life. But it won't be busy if you ignore it! Remember the adage, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything. Listen! And urge your loved ones to do the same.

💔

I literally was just thinking of you today because I had not seen you on. I'm so sorry and appreciate your reminder.
Thanks for thinking of me. :hug:

I debated posting this because although I share on here, this is still so raw and personal. However, after having my BIL pass and my friend (who, like my BIL, gave no appearances of health issues), I felt the need to share not to be passive when it comes to your health.

Very sorry for your loss. Thanks you for taking the time to remind folks how important it is to take care of their health.

I think it is so easy to overlook, especially if you are taking care of others.

*edited for grammar

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this, FG. :hug:'s My condolences to his family, you and your family, his friends. God speed for him. Thank you for sharing your family's sadness and wise reminders. Very sobering. :hug:'s

I don't know how I have done it. How I have lived close to 75 is a total mystery to me. I never took care of myself, never paid attention to my health, smoked for 40+ years, ate whatever I wanted, was always at least a little over weight, except when I was in the service and still made it to this. Last year I had to have a Cardiac Catheter procedure before spinal surgery and even they were astonished that other then might be expected for a person my age it was OK. 20 years ago I had my primary doctor look at my charts and say... "I honestly do not know why you are not diabetic, but you aren't". Thanks doc, you almost sound disappointed.

I know something will get me before to long because there is no way out alive, but I am grateful that I have had the length of life that I have had. My dad died at 74 years old of a massive heart attack. Just a few months younger then I am right now. A couple of years ago I had to have a pacemaker installed because of irregular heart beat. The battery is looking to need replacing in 12 more years, so it is now a race to see which one of us goes first, the battery or me. In the meantime it is sitting in there jump starting one of the valves in my heart every few seconds and I am happily still upright and taking nourishment. Modern medicine can keep us going for a long time as long as we check out things that just don't seem right and even others that we should just generally be aware. Sadly, not everyone gets those warnings to follow up on.

I am so sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law, @fly girl . I have heart palpitations now since having covid, but my cardiologist keeps up on it and assures me that my heart is healthy. I decided to take better care of myself in any case. Thanks for the reminder. :hug:

I am sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I have had this experience with two of my BILs, also - one at 42 and one at 62. We think the 62 yr old was having symptoms but was in denial. I also lost my father the same way. His last words to me were that he would go to the doctor’s in the morning if continued to not feel well. Well, morning never came for him. 😢 I also take care of patients like this - the lucky ones who survive. Had a wild story recently of this very thing, fortunately one of the lucky ones. Had been having chest pain and was due to have a stress test. Decided to go out for a run. Bad idea. Was lucky bystanders saved his life. Brush up on your CPR, everyone, you never know when you’ll need to use it, and it really can be lifesaving! Use the AED if it is nearby, as well - just follow the instructions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter