Please confirm or deny sound issues at Grand Floridian hotel rooms

We just returned from a 4-night stay in the original Grand Floridian DVC building. Our window faced towards the Monorail and we heard that pass by every few minutes. It was not particularly loud but I can imagine it driving someone crazy who's trying to fall asleep. The door to the balcony never seemed to lock properly and I suspect that was the main culprit of the noise.

We never heard a sound from the hallway or the rooms that surrounded us.

On this trip, we were assigned a wheelchair accessible room, which we did not request. There was very little storage, the bed was close to the ground, the bathroom was just a single tub (rather than the shower stall), and the counter was low. Also, the door to the balcony was not the standard sliding door found in other VGF rooms, which is why I don't think it ever closed tightly.

The was our fifth stay at VGF and we've never had a problem with noise before.

1670169396533.png

1670169296015.png

We definitely have an issue with this, but it's the same in the outer buildings, club level (Royal Palm) and the original DVC units as well. In fact, most WDW hotels have among the worst soundproofing we ever experience, which is one of my personal pet peeves about the construction. Wilderness Lodge has been a nightmare with neighbor noise through the walls, as has Animal Kingdom and Old Key West, among others. Conversely, the modular construction of the Polynesian and Contemporary make them among the quietest rooms on property. Also Bay Lake Tower is the quietest DVC in our experience.

Last edited:
The noise issue could put even more pressure on getting a studio in the original building now.

Just got back from a stay at the resort studios. The room was beautiful and I liked that it was a quicker walk to the main building and back from the boat, but the noise was bad. As soon as I walked in noticed we were next to the elevator. That wasn’t the issue. The issue was the couple in the next room who must have been sleep training their baby. She screamed for an hour until she threw up. I heard all the screaming, the commotion when the mom realized she threw up, sent the husband back in, water running, etc.. Not pleasant and fairly stressful. Next morning I was woken up by a crying baby and I do sleep with a white noise machine. I realize crying babies, kids happen, but I’ve never been disturbed this way in any other DVC resort. The walls are very thin.

Just got back from a stay at the resort studios. The room was beautiful and I liked that it was a quicker walk to the main building and back from the boat, but the noise was bad. As soon as I walked in noticed we were next to the elevator. That wasn’t the issue. The issue was the couple in the next room who must have been sleep training their baby. She screamed for an hour until she threw up. I heard all the screaming, the commotion when the mom realized she threw up, sent the husband back in, water running, etc.. Not pleasant and fairly stressful. Next morning I was woken up by a crying baby and I do sleep with a white noise machine. I realize crying babies, kids happen, but I’ve never been disturbed this way in any other DVC resort. The walls are very thin.
Yikes!

We stayed at BPK in November and I don't recall it being too noisy. Then again we were only in the room to get ready in the morning and then to sleep at night.

We were in a resort studio right after Thanksgiving for 3 nights. We had no issues with noise at all. I believe it's a lot more dependent on the neighbors than the room itself. Can't do much about the neighbors, LOL.

We were in a DVC Resort Studio for 3 nights just a couple of weeks ago. We were right by the elevator. We could hear almost everything through our main door. We could also hear our neighbors clear as day through the connecting door, and they were just talking in normal voices. I had read about tucking a towel at the bottom of the doors to help block some of the noise, so we tried that on both doors and it actually did help quite a bit.

We are in room 9419, forth floor of BPK near the elevator. Yes, there is noise but in my opinion it's not too bad, as it's pretty quiet. The worst sound issues are that I can hear the plumbing of the room above us (when they flush the toilet, it's fairly loud) and the horn from the boats on the water (we are in a lagoon view). We are sleeping just fine, and the worst part of the room is that there is a fairly large gap at the bottom of our door which lets a lot of light in. I threw a towel on the ground to cover it up, and I'm sure that's helping with sound absorption as well.

Do I wish there was more insulation (perhaps any) between the walls? Sure, it would be better. Is it ruining my vacation? No. Would I stay here again? Yes, although I'd like to try out the original DVC building to compare. I could see it being an issue if you have very loud neighbours but the noise levels have not bothered us.

We're new owners have only had one stay, but stayed two bed at the VGF and didn't hear any noise at all.

I stayed in a Resort Studio (Big Pine Key) a few weeks ago, and heard every single noise from the neighbors on each side.

The crazy thing is, they were very quiet people. I heard them talking, snoring, using the restroom, making breakfast…. I can only imagine if they had noisy kids. I would ask to change rooms or resorts.

It was almost as if they completely forgot to add noise insulating material between my walls.

Ugh. These noise issues are so disappointing since I love the look of the new rooms much more than the plaid and beige in the original dvc rooms 😢.

Ugh. These noise issues are so disappointing since I love the look of the new rooms much more than the plaid and beige in the original dvc rooms 😢.
For reference, I’m a very light sleeper. It’s possible that other Guests might find the noise an acceptable level.

What I will say, is that I have stayed at every Deluxe resort on property, and never heard my neighbors. I even stayed at Coronado during Hurricane Ian, with Guests throwing Hurricane parties in the rooms, and never heard a sound.

I’m not sure why Grand Floridian received such bad soundproofing.

For reference, I’m a very light sleeper. It’s possible that other Guests might find the noise an acceptable level.
I'm very noise-tolerant, for example I could care less about the ferry noise at Moorea Poly. I thought VGF2 was an absolute nightmare. There is no hotel where I should be able to hear someone ripping papers next door. It's just an unacceptable level of soundproofing, period.

What I will say, is that I have stayed at every Deluxe resort on property, and never heard my neighbors. I even stayed at Coronado during Hurricane Ian, with Guests throwing Hurricane parties in the rooms, and never heard a sound.

I’m not sure why Grand Floridian received such bad soundproofing.
I’m also an extremely light sleeper 😢

Saw this post and was triggered. Stayed in the new resort studio rooms for 10 days in March. We could hear every single word and noise from our connecting neighbors. I could even hear their tv word for word at night. We agreed we wouldn’t stay again for this reason even though the rooms are adorable.

We stayed last September in BPK fot a week, wes our first stay at GFV as owners and absolutely fell in love with the resort…so happy we chose there.
We had a standard view 3rd flr and had no noise issues whatsoever, no difference to any other disney resort we’ve stayed in!

The noise on our last stay (standard view BPK first floor near elevator) was so bad that I will never voluntarily stay at BPK again. If BPK is my only option at 11 months, I will take it and swap it for another resort at 7 months.

We have never had a problem in the original building.

Anyone have any recent experiences at BPK in regards to the noise issues? Good or bad?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter