Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

But the resort currently receiving the most attention is Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. Caribbean Beach would not be a "Moderate DVC" in that no current guest rooms would be sold as timeshare villas. While some argue that a lower-priced "Moderate DVC" would make the program more accessible to budget-conscious owners, expect DVC to continue pursuing the Deluxe pricing model as long as they have buyers.

The plan designers are currently pursuing involves completely demolishing three or four of the resort's six "islands"--at least half of the resort--and building a DVC villa tower. The proposed design could see a DVC villa building up to 7 stories tall at Caribbean Beach.

As part of the Caribbean Beach Resort redesign, one source indicates that Disney is considering extension of neighboring waterways to provide boat service between Caribbean Beach and the Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios theme parks.

Some rebranding of the resort may even occur if Disney feels the need to distance itself from that "Moderate" label associated with the Caribbean Beach Resort name

Imo, these two things MUST happen in order for it to be marketable as DVC. They'd have to split CBR in two and give the DVC a new name, it's own infrastructure and transportation options. Doing so would give access to CBR guests AND the new DVC making the transportation option open to TWO resorts instead of one. This cannot run as "part" of CBR by simply just adding a new bus stop and making 8 stops at CBR. Otherwise, it's kinda like the POR/PORFQ bus nightmare.

Also, without a new name and separation from CBR, they won't be able to shake loose the feeling that owners at this resort are less than other DVC owners.

You are correct that know one know - but it also ignores the fact that DVC insiders have been talking about "DVC at Caribbean Beach" for at least 2 years...

I decided to look up the article that I first read about it - this was written AUGUST 22, 2014. I am quoting several paragraphs of the article word-for-word, the underlining is my emphasis.

The link to the entire article is http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/other-proposed-resorts/2684-the-next-decade-of-dvc

Now, I will admit the does mention several other options for the next DVC. However, I also will point out that two things mentioned above are part of the plans - demolishing part of the resort and building a tower. This author also correctly put out the DVC expansion at Wilderness Lodge in advance of it actually happening - this article was written many months before construction started there.

When people say "a convention center" or "suites" that is purely conjecture. The DVC idea has a little more heft behind it.

You know my opinion of "insiders"...even though dvc does this to float the balloons.

I'm more just waiting to see how badly they screw this up.

My bet is: "bigtime"

And...to be fair...wilderness lodge makes a lot more sense. So does the poly tower that corresponds to the transportation work ramping up near the ttc.

The only way Caribbean makes sense now is if the sales have hit the wall and they are trying to come up with new tactics.

...that may be the bigger question.

You are correct that know one know - but it also ignores the fact that DVC insiders have been talking about "DVC at Caribbean Beach" for at least 2 years...

I decided to look up the article that I first read about it - this was written AUGUST 22, 2014. I am quoting several paragraphs of the article word-for-word, the underlining is my emphasis.

The link to the entire article is http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/other-proposed-resorts/2684-the-next-decade-of-dvc

Now, I will admit the does mention several other options for the next DVC. However, I also will point out that two things mentioned above are part of the plans - demolishing part of the resort and building a tower. This author also correctly put out the DVC expansion at Wilderness Lodge in advance of it actually happening - this article was written many months before construction started there.

When people say "a convention center" or "suites" that is purely conjecture. The DVC idea has a little more heft behind it.

THanks for hunting this down, and indeed this is the stuff I was pointing to before which, despite some compelling alternatives, keeps me pretty sure this is DVC, and it will NOT be a discounted or moderate DVC.

Imo, these two things MUST happen in order for it to be marketable as DVC. They'd have to split CBR in two and give the DVC a new name, it's own infrastructure and transportation options. Doing so would give access to CBR guests AND the new DVC making the transportation option open to TWO resorts instead of one. This cannot run as "part" of CBR by simply just adding a new bus stop and making 8 stops at CBR. Otherwise, it's kinda like the POR/PORFQ bus nightmare.

Also, without a new name and separation from CBR, they won't be able to shake loose the feeling that owners at this resort are less than other DVC owners.

Yup - agree 100% with you @Madonna3 - it WILL be it's own separate resort with it's own name and it WILL get it's own bus service if not directly linked to the parks. The only thing I could see is they keep it with a Caribbean theme....Caribbean Towers Resort or something. Again, being two separate resorts - more incentive to set up boat service to DHS and Epcot.

Agree 1000%

People don't seem to not want to consider that Caribbean does not cut it as a dvc in the current definition.

All disney hotels are overpriced, not well run, and largely a hoax based on location...don't doubt me on that as it is true...

BUT...they can't put lipstick on the Caribbean pig here...it has to be a different angle.

I think I could seem them demolishing customs house, then dividing the property and putting an entirely different gate on a new waterway...

That way they are using the location...not piggybacking Caribbean...which isn't up to snuff.

Yup - agree 100% with you @Madonna3 - it WILL be it's own separate resort with it's own name and it WILL get it's own bus service if not directly linked to the parks. The only thing I could see is they keep it with a Caribbean theme....Caribbean Towers Resort or something. Again, being two separate resorts - more incentive to set up boat service to DHS and Epcot.

That is what I am thinking - kinda like Port Orleans Riverside / Port Orleans French Quarter ... though where one part is DVC and one is the regular resort

or heck, even like how Bay Lake Tower has a different name even though everyone thinks of it as they "Contemporary DVC"

That is what I am thinking - kinda like Port Orleans Riverside / Port Orleans French Quarter ... though where one part is DVC and one is the regular resort

or heck, even like how Bay Lake Tower has a different name even though everyone thinks of it as they "Contemporary DVC"

BUUUUT they can't be tempted to do what they do with POR/FQ and CR/BLT and combine bus service. They have to keep it separate.

They have to go farther than that. There is no difference between Bay lake and contemporary...because contemporary has the train, the restaurants and they charge $600 a night.

This is not that scenario.

And port orleans is the French place...Dixie landings is the southern/swamp place. That name change is still stupid...to be fair.

A "walkway" that long wouldn't work. It's Florida...a 1.5 mile pathway won't be used by either the family or the buffet crowd

Some would...I made my family walk from the Epcot monorail station to Tower of Terror without a break but-in the words of my 14 year old-I'm a mean old b******. But to your point, that long of a path would nearly never be used by most of the Disney crowd.

BUUUUT they can't be tempted to do what they do with POR/FQ and CR/BLT and combine bus service. They have to keep it separate.

Fully agree - especially if buses are the only transportation ... more just thinking naming convention wise

Some would...I made my family walk from the Epcot monorail station to Tower of Terror without a break but-in the words of my 14 year old-I'm a mean old b******. But to your point, that long of a path would nearly never be used by most of the Disney crowd.

Don't get me wrong...that would make a 3+ mile running track extension and would be really cool...

But logistically...it doesn't work for their audience.

Agree 1000%

People don't seem to not want to consider that Caribbean does not cut it as a dvc in the current definition.

All disney hotels are overpriced, not well run, and largely a hoax based on location...don't doubt me on that as it is true...

BUT...they can't put lipstick on the Caribbean pig here...it has to be a different angle.

I think I could seem them demolishing customs house, then dividing the property and putting an entirely different gate on a new waterway...

That way they are using the location...not piggybacking Caribbean...which isn't up to snuff.
So I've had to look at the map of Caribbean since the only times I've ever been there are when I'm on the Magical Express. If the Customs' House is only there for pick-up/drop off, is it possible that they could get rid of it as you say and put another entrance way in for CBR? Based on what I've seen on the maps, all the dining, etc is over near Trinidad and Martinique.

Except I don't think they will want the DVC owners to think like that. I think it will be more separate than the BLT/Contemporary situation. POR/POFQ might be a better analogy - they might allow DVC members to use the CBR amenities and pool, but I don't think it will go the other way - I mean CBR folks could eat at a restaurant there, but any pool would be DVC only.

Except I don't think they will want the DVC owners to think like that. I think it will be more separate than the BLT/Contemporary situation. POR/POFQ might be a better analogy - they might allow DVC members to use the CBR amenities and pool, but I don't think it will go the other way - I mean CBR folks could eat at a restaurant there, but any pool would be DVC only.

I think this will be one of the hardest challenges to separate these two resorts and have the mind set that it is not CBR 2.0. I know, as it is right now as a DVC owner, this would be a challenge for me to overcome.

So I've had to look at the map of Caribbean since the only times I've ever been there are when I'm on the Magical Express. If the Customs' House is only there for pick-up/drop off, is it possible that they could get rid of it as you say and put another entrance way in for CBR? Based on what I've seen on the maps, all the dining, etc is over near Trinidad and Martinique.

I think that's likely. ME drops you off there for check-in, and then you have to take another bus to get to your actual room. When you stay there, you never come back to custom house unless you have to. (There's a desk at Old Port Royale for most inquiries.) And then you have the same issue when checking out - having to get back there. It really would make more sense to have all this at Old Port Royale. However, because the resort is so spread out, anywhere you put the main lobby would still run into a problem of needing busing to the various areas - they would need an expanded space there to fit the check-in stuff.

Assuming it is a DVC construction, I think it's a good assumption that the check-in location would be moved.

Wonder if this snippet from the rumor thread is related. If a new structures are in the works, might they offer an opportunity to add a gateway, and justify the staffing of the gateway?

Dag nabbit, didn't paste over....give me a second.

edit, now adding the link. http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-rumor-tracking-thread.3549330/page-7#post-57021015
avtjXx-vdE2fQEtZx43Oa3isQ156u2N7J9k3HpSrVVxFQXfQzf92YNwXhGtH_sSOBhCdcBX8xBlACpiRXxpf5V7p8dYzPlGRkFXA5cU2JiKNV8MOA96fxtkLe0kPZYIGIa8hX-JBaIeRh9QGi6E7lXg-ppi9qPtsvecrbJZEFPRoCq0RCwLndOdYdp4ZTwjxvWgabTBBhOgJDXTm91proC-aEoClTm0x5aP-x9Br7mxXWoZtl6x1BOmkQ_M0PEstu-LkTHw4YCmJ8VDZWCnmvw3TWJRlbmOw6XRRsywbla1B_2CrH883hlsKTcF4hzm75BUD-r7hx3GpiMfbb_gleJJHvr_BihQiidNnQqEvmFD2vFvLcnRjngqTx_PJe_RlH-03ynkn0UkydCSGo43-ECa8mIxAjLl1ezZs_4Lg34V2bVtBlKjmSXMiNf2p4u6WLaTpGzKH_SgeiatDkQ4g89EZiEgb_FD4hBTHJq4wq8VbTsJi4Q--S0rdmiwkq3JeLKiLPYNHjcu5_3HtihD3_CX-_WMXorDyeO1kaG17YSzBlxbb7PtlmDBXntChfT7gaz81v5OWFWlRY2kzxzqGld-M3SYH6e7dAaWwn4mT6iXvktcr7Ev6AUoxHvBUJ4nlDbFxV12_mVAbX9xC-eFfRY6bMFg3nQ4NgIqmiA_nzH7trRBHV_VpRbhuqTZEE_c25SMf5vEFD2iTTg=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter