Pixie Dusting Adults

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry some people have failed to see that your heart is genuinely in the right place. Don't let other people's opinions steal your joy. Do what you feel is a good deed for strangers and if someone chooses to see something ugly in that, well, that's their misfortune. :goodvibes

No one is seeing anything ugly. Her heart is in the right place. We are just offering suggestions on what may be better received in the parks.

We all have our own opinions. And frankly I think giving dollar store tiaras to random strangers on vacation would be a waste of the OP's money. Not that her intention was not genuine. Just that the money perhaps would be better directed elsewhere to something more worthy.

I've also been thinking of making a magnet or something to stick on random hotel doors. Maybe a "you've been tinked" even and put a goodie bag on the door. I like doing silly stuff like that.

I would not be ok with a stranger leaving anything on my door in a hotel. Whenever I stay in a hotel, if flyers and ads get slipped under the door, I will complain to the front desk about security. I would feel just as creeped out by a magnet. My room is my personal space, and leaving crap on my door crosses the line. This is my vacation too, it is not just about making yourself feel good, I can do that for myself, thank you very much.

Giving random stuff to other guests or CMs in the parks seems to usually be more about the giver than the receiver.

The best kind of pixie dust one adult could give to another in the parks IMO is simple courtesy. Others not being rude obnoxious jerks in the parks is more valuable than being glittered in line, but that's just me.

Very well said, perfect response.

I don't think anyone is seeing anything "ugly" in any of her suggested good deeds, it's just that random acts of kindness seem better than pre-planned things. And most people don't want to be handed extra things from strangers.

I won't debate the use of the word ugly, but that's certainly the word I personally would use to see how the intent of this thread has been derailed into making a good-hearted person feel bad for wanting to spread some happiness to strangers.

While I feel you all on the glitter thing, (I still have it in my daugther's hair from a sprinkling at Castle Couture) I'm not about to go back and belittle the CM who put it in her hair last week. Their intent was to make her happy, and it worked. I got pictures of the big smile on her face as she made a wish, and *that's* what such a thing is about.

While some of you adults may feel you don't need a dollar store trinket sprung on you while at Disney World, others may feel it's that very thing that made their day. You can preach or lecture that the dollar may better be spent at a homeless shelter or charity, but then again, so could your DVC fees and park ticket money. People can choose to spend their money however they see fit, and attempting to guilt trip someone over it is simply ugly in my book.

If a stranger hands you a wand or glow stick or a sticker and you are so offended, then throw it away or refuse to take it. That's your right. Personally, I would be happy to see that a place like Disney World can still inspire people to be childlike and whimsical and strive to make others happy, be it by handing them a tiny gift or snapping them a family picture. And to say that the person is only doing so for themselves and not for others, well, that's just a whole other type of ugly behavior I won't touch upon.

It doesn't have to be a "gift" or "trinket". I agree, just coming across someone genuinely nice at WDW is pure pixie dust to me. We go to WDW on a TIGHT budget, and having somenoe pay for our meal or something like that would just absolutely make our day! Not everyone that goes to WDW is priveledged. Some of us have to SAVE for a year or more to make these trips happen.

That being said, we were there in 2012 for MNSSHP, and my youngest was dressed up as Snow White. She fell asleep before the second parade, and snoozed through the whole thing in her stroller. On our way out of the park, a woman dressed as the Evil Queen in her old woman costume walked up to us with a basket of fake apples, and handed us one saying "An apple for the Sleeping princess?" We thought it was an awesome touch, and we have photos of this woman with her basket of apples, offering one to our sleeping Snow White. We still have the apple up on her shelf in her room.

Things like that are cute and add to the magic of WDW.

I won't debate the use of the word ugly, but that's certainly the word I personally would use to see how the intent of this thread has been derailed into making a good-hearted person feel bad for wanting to spread some happiness to strangers.

While I feel you all on the glitter thing, (I still have it in my daugther's hair from a sprinkling at Castle Couture) I'm not about to go back and belittle the CM who put it in her hair last week. Their intent was to make her happy, and it worked. I got pictures of the big smile on her face as she made a wish, and *that's* what such a thing is about.

While some of you adults may feel you don't need a dollar store trinket sprung on you while at Disney World, others may feel it's that very thing that made their day. You can preach or lecture that the dollar may better be spent at a homeless shelter or charity, but then again, so could your DVC fees and park ticket money. People can choose to spend their money however they see fit, and attempting to guilt trip someone over it is simply ugly in my book.

If a stranger hands you a wand or glow stick or a sticker and you are so offended, then throw it away or refuse to take it. That's your right. Personally, I would be happy to see that a place like Disney World can still inspire people to be childlike and whimsical and strive to make others happy, be it by handing them a tiny gift or snapping them a family picture. And to say that the person is only doing so for themselves and not for others, well, that's just a whole other type of ugly behavior I won't touch upon.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then as I disagree with most of your post. :)

Not everyone that goes to WDW is priveledged. Some of us have to SAVE for a year or more to make these trips happen.

The majority of us do have to save to go and many for more than a year. But just the fact that you get to go at all does make you privileged.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then as I disagree with most of your post. :)

And I disagree with most of your statements to the OP so we agree on something. :thumbsup2

Bottomline is the parks are frequented by literally hundreds of thousands of people from all walks of life and cultures. It's impossible for anyone to speak with any type of accuracy as to what 'people' will feel when a stranger chooses to do something 'nice' for them at Disney World. Attempting to speak for the masses who visit Disney and what they will feel is simply impossible.

Add me to those who don't see anyone being rude or ugly. Personally I think it's good that people are offering up ALL opinions to the OP on what they feel is appropriate or not. While some people are okay with them or their kids receiving random items from people, I think it's fair that the OP is aware that others may not. Honestly, how many people here- if they weren't at Disney- would feel okay about them or their kid accepting random items from strangers? I don't understand why that would be different if you're at a theme park.

Here, here! I couldn't have said it better. Let's just say that I have a pretty good eye at the parks for those who would turn a snobbish eye towards a free glow bracelet, and those who welcome a kind turn from a stranger / new friend. I have never had someone say 'no' to a proffered item, indeed many people are over the top thrilled to be the recipient of a thoughtful gesture.

Those who have turned this nice thread into something controversial - don't worry, I could scope you out a mile away (or right next to me in line or nearby at a parade) and nothing would be offered.:lmao:

I'm sorry some people have failed to see that your heart is genuinely in the right place. Don't let other people's opinions steal your joy. Do what you feel is a good deed for strangers and if someone chooses to see something ugly in that, well, that's their misfortune. :goodvibes

I had been on Pinterest and saw stuff on making cute envelopes or candy for "mousekeeping" or giving glow sticks and stuff to kids or "thank you" card things to CM. Then I remembered the aforementioned "hell on earth" parents and thought "hmm I wonder if something could have made that better". And that's how I arrived here.

And I'm not doing this to make ME feel good. I just thought it would put a smile on someone else's face.
In the past year I have:
Donated items to a no-kill, donation ran pet shelter
Wrote cards to soldiers and nursing home residents
And currently hold a drive to donate money to Mississippi tornado victims
Donated items and toys and money to a donation run youth home
Even given coupons and freebie tickets to people in line at stores.

I don't do ANY of this to make ME feel better. I do it to make OTHERS feel better and that they are cherished as a person on this earth.

My favorite that's been mentioned so far is the glow sticks/necklaces for handing out during the nighttime shows/parade. Cool idea! :thumbsup2

We started doing this a few trips ago, since a tube of 15 glow bracelets costs $1 at Target or Dollar Tree. I throw an extra tube in my park bag to share, just in case. DS was wearing a few necklaces we'd made out of bracelets once while we waited for MSEP. There were two little girls around his age looking at them with big puppy dog eyes, so I leaned over and asked their mom if they'd like a tube. At first she politely turned them down, but I insisted we'd brought them to share and she smiled and handed them to her girls. They were very happy after that and we probably saved that couple some whining for overpriced light-up toys. :)

We started doing this a few trips ago, since a tube of 15 glow bracelets costs $1 at Target or Dollar Tree. I throw an extra tube in my park bag to share, just in case. DS was wearing a few necklaces we'd made out of bracelets once while we waited for MSEP. There were two little girls around his age looking at them with big puppy dog eyes, so I leaned over and asked their mom if they'd like a tube. At first she politely turned them down, but I insisted we'd brought them to share and she smiled and handed them to her girls. They were very happy after that and we probably saved that couple some whining for overpriced light-up toys. :)

I always have glow sticks with me. One night we had a VERY full bus. So to keep all the kids entertained I started breaking glow sticks and passing one to each kid. All the kids were happy and smiling and so were the parents. We all started talking about where we were from and it was just generally a fun bus ride.

I don't usually give them to kids having temper tantrums cause I don't want to reward the behaviour…lol but I have given one to a kid crying on a bus and he stopped. So it was worth it. ;)

We just randomly pass them to people in lines for rides. Always met with a smile and a thank you. Makes me feel good. They feel good.

I don't see why people have a problem with it. If you're offered something just say "no thanks" and move on.

eta: I wouldn't be offended if someone said no thanks either. Everyone has a right no to accept something.

I love this idea, too! For the electrical parade it's so cool to have something that glows to hold and the Disney stuff can be costly. It's amazing that for a buck or two you can totally make someone's night. I'm sure the kids (and Mom) were thrilled! :wizard:

I had another thought last night I wanted to add to the suggestions. My local Dollar Tree has some of those 'stay cool' sports towels in stock right now. We LOVE our Frog Toggs Chilly pad and use it often at the parks, so I got a $1 one to try and thought if nothing else my daughter could play with it. We used it as MK last weekend and it works perfectly. Every bit as good as the Frog Toggs (which are usually around $12) The dollar store ones are smaller (about 6 inches wide by about 30 inches long, but have a compact and reusable plastic tube to store it in.) They easily can fit into a pocket or purse and come in blue, green and pink. They would be a perfect, inexpensive item to give to a stranger at Disney who might be hot and waiting for the parade. It's a great way to cool off and are reusable. :banana:

Here, here! I couldn't have said it better. Let's just say that I have a pretty good eye at the parks for those who would turn a snobbish eye towards a free glow bracelet, and those who welcome a kind turn from a stranger / new friend. I have never had someone say 'no' to a proffered item, indeed many people are over the top thrilled to be the recipient of a thoughtful gesture.

Those who have turned this nice thread into something controversial - don't worry, I could scope you out a mile away (or right next to me in line or nearby at a parade) and nothing would be offered.:lmao:

That made me chuckle!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl

As others have said, small kindnesses would be the best and least obtrusive way to go.

This is really small ... but ... last trip, I was washing my hands in the restroom, and another lady was washing up next to me. This restroom had the kind of towel dispensers that you have to pump several times to get a towel (defeats the purpose of washing your hands when you have to touch that ... :confused3). Anyway, I pumped out my towels, saw that she was finishing up, and made a snap decision to pump out some for her. She looked up and noticed what I had done and said thank you to me in the most surprised and sincere way. Saved her some germs, and it made me feel so good.

There are a million small things that can make a big impact on people. As happy of a place as WDW is, I can get pretty surly on day 5 ... the crowds, etc. Someone doing some tiny, inobtrusive nice thing for me can bring back the happy.

Count me in the group that might not appreciate trinkets, glitter, etc. I know it's meant in a kind way, but if we don't want those things, it puts us in an awkward position. I can't imagine anyone not appreciating good old-fashioned kindness though.

While glitter may not be the best option, I don't think the OP is doing anything wrong by wanting to make others happy. It's a great gesture! If someone does not want something, that is fine. It is as simple as a no thank you and moving on. I do think glow sticks would be the best option now that paper FP are gone.

As others have said, small kindnesses would be the best and least obtrusive way to go.

This is really small ... but ... last trip, I was washing my hands in the restroom, and another lady was washing up next to me. This restroom had the kind of towel dispensers that you have to pump several times to get a towel (defeats the purpose of washing your hands when you have to touch that ... :confused3). Anyway, I pumped out my towels, saw that she was finishing up, and made a snap decision to pump out some for her. She looked up and noticed what I had done and said thank you to me in the most surprised and sincere way. Saved her some germs, and it made me feel so good.

There are a million small things that can make a big impact on people. As happy of a place as WDW is, I can get pretty surly on day 5 ... the crowds, etc. Someone doing some tiny, inobtrusive nice thing for me can bring back the happy.

Count me in the group that might not appreciate trinkets, glitter, etc. I know it's meant in a kind way, but if we don't want those things, it puts us in an awkward position. I can't imagine anyone not appreciating good old-fashioned kindness though.

Yes! I agree with all of this completely.

I guess I don't understand how "pixie dust" = "things". Things don't make people feel cherished :confused3. The best pixie dust I have experienced in Disney parks (and those that I have read online) come from experiences. Not gifts or trinkets. If you want to spread pixie dust, just be kind and thoughtful to the other guests around you.

I guess I don't understand how "pixie dust" = "things". Things don't make people feel cherished :confused3. The best pixie dust I have experienced in Disney parks (and those that I have read online) come from experiences. Not gifts or trinkets. If you want to spread pixie dust, just be kind and thoughtful to the other guests around you.

This! It's the point I was making but worded very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter