Photo Sharing: Ultra Wide Angle

Animal Kingdom Lodge at Christmas by wbeem, on Flickr

Practicing with My New Camera

I just got a Nikon D800 and decided to take it out to the Disney World resorts to try it out shooting the Christmas trees. Damn, this camera makes big files. I learned I still have a few more settings to tweak to my satisfaction, and that I need to go back in the evening to avoid that bright background.

Still, here's the first effort with the new camera at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Used every millimeter of that 14-24 UWA for this one.

Animal Kingdom Lodge at Christmas by wbeem, on Flickr

Practicing with My New Camera

I just got a Nikon D800 and decided to take it out to the Disney World resorts to try it out shooting the Christmas trees. Damn, this camera makes big files. I learned I still have a few more settings to tweak to my satisfaction, and that I need to go back in the evening to avoid that bright background.

Still, here's the first effort with the new camera at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Used every millimeter of that 14-24 UWA for this one.

Nice shot.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. Outside of re-taking this same shot in the evening, do you have any tips in regards to minimizing the bright background? Would using a different metering mode help? I shoot Nikon and find myself using Matrix mode more often than not.

Woulds using spot or center weighted mode and basing the exposure off the tree help with minimizing the bright background? Or would such a strategy effectively expose the tree but leave the background woefully underexposed?

Nice shot.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. Outside of re-taking this same shot in the evening, do you have any tips in regards to minimizing the bright background? Would using a different metering mode help? I shoot Nikon and find myself using Matrix mode more often than not.

Woulds using spot or center weighted mode and basing the exposure off the tree help with minimizing the bright background? Or would such a strategy effectively expose the tree but leave the background woefully underexposed?

It's the power of the sun. I shot this with 9 exposures so I could really, really underexpose for that bright background. Three stops under-exposed for this scene and it's still too bright. A different metering mode wouldn't make that much of a difference in this case.

I could have switched to meter just for that highlight and under-exposed that area to blend in later, but everything else would have been pitch black. In fact, that's how my first exposure looked in the bracket. This was at ISO 100, F/11. Maybe I could have stopped down more or dropped the ISO to 50 to control that backlit area, but I saw some detail in the initial exposure on the back of my screen and though I had it right. Not quite, though.

In any case, even having detail in that frame - the background is still going to be brighter than the subject. That's what's really bugging me about this frame. Some people love backlight, but I'm not that much of a fan because it distracts the eye.

Better to just go back at night and take the shot without the backlight.

It's the power of the sun. I shot this with 9 exposures so I could really, really underexpose for that bright background. Three stops under-exposed for this scene and it's still too bright. A different metering mode wouldn't make that much of a difference in this case.

I could have switched to meter just for that highlight and under-exposed that area to blend in later, but everything else would have been pitch black. In fact, that's how my first exposure looked in the bracket. This was at ISO 100, F/11. Maybe I could have stopped down more or dropped the ISO to 50 to control that backlit area, but I saw some detail in the initial exposure on the back of my screen and though I had it right. Not quite, though.

In any case, even having detail in that frame - the background is still going to be brighter than the subject. That's what's really bugging me about this frame. Some people love backlight, but I'm not that much of a fan because it distracts the eye.

Better to just go back at night and take the shot without the backlight.

Thank you for responding...I appreciate you taking the time to walk though your thought process.

Thank you for responding...I appreciate you taking the time to walk though your thought process.

Anytime. I like talking about this stuff. It helps me think through ideas, but it's just nice to trade ideas with like-minded folks.

8300782786_aa08ea7d63_b.jpg

EPCOT after Illuminations always feels kinda like a ghost town to me. Anybody else feel that way?

8350377824_8b3c48dcbf_b.jpg

The Statue of poet Sir John Betjeman at St Pancras Rail Station, London.

8409769771_e1fc52e86f_b.jpg

The Inscription beneath the statue is from one of his poems (Cornish Cliffs) and reads:-

And in the shadowless unclouded glare, Deep blue above us fades to whiteness where, A misty sea-line meets the wash of air

Milly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter