Pete's Solo Shows and the $10 tier

Forum technology is decades old, the required bandwith/space to run a text/image based platform is minimal. You're talking $100's a month not thousands. I ran a forum with image hosting that had thousands of concurrent users that was below $1000 a month easily.

I am a business owner. The $13k jumped out at me as well. Pete is a smart guy and I am sure he has run the numbers, but that figure seemed way off. Anyway, I'm not here to question his business or his ability, I'm here just to participate in the Patreon debate. Thanks, Pete, for offering your input.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have talked about many options with Patreon, and may make some changes in time. Right now, I'm very happy with where things are.
Pete i would like to say thanks for posting and thanks for all the free content. The reason i am a patreon supporter is that the content is good and i want to do what i can to help.
This keeps me in the parks since i won't be in Disney World until 2022 and the last time i was there was 2008. I love it and can't afford to go but the groups content and boards feeds my itch.
Also the boards have become a fun place to go and find like minded people who won't think i am a freak for being 51 years old and loving everything Disney.
Thanks to you and all the people that make the videos and the boards a great place to come and talk about my favorite stuff.
Even thought we may all not agree Disboards are part of my happy place.

Pete i would like to say thanks for posting and thanks for all the free content. The reason i am a patreon supporter is that the content is good and i want to do what i can to help.
This keeps me in the parks since i won't be in Disney World until 2022 and the last time i was there was 2008. I love it and can't afford to go but the groups content and boards feeds my itch.
Also the boards have become a fun place to go and find like minded people who won't think i am a freak for being 51 years old and loving everything Disney.
Thanks to you and all the people that make the videos and the boards a great place to come and talk about my favorite stuff.
Even thought we may all not agree Disboards are part of my happy place.
Very nicely said, @ALWEASEL . And, I concur. ::yes::

Signed, Your Grateful and Proud Fellow Disney/DISBoards Freak

Yea. That's not happening.
Yeah, I mean, it's too much to ask someone to look through YT to find the content THEY want to watch... Especially when YT does this handy little thing where they put "Watched" on any video you've... you know... watched.
Let's make the team go back to wasting 10 minutes of each Tuesday show to read out a synopsis of all the shows they do now... :rolleyes2

Let's make the team go back to wasting 10 minutes of each Tuesday show to read out a synopsis of all the shows they do now
Surely there's a simple solution, like listing it on the website or in the daily email they do now. It would be nice to have that info all in one place. Searching YouTube isn't all that simple, especially with so many different shows and multiple YouTube channels. And there are still plenty of folks like me who don't watch the shows. We listen to the podcasts, although at least with those, it's pretty easy to look at each feed and see the topics.

it's pretty easy to look at each feed and see the topics
Funnily enough, there are only 3 YT channels and 7 podcast channels.
So I'd argue that it's easier for the folks who watch, than those of us who only listen, to search for new content.

And don't they list a synopsis of each ep on the DISunplugged section of WDWInfo.com?

It seems the solutions are already there?

And don't they list a synopsis of each ep on the DISunplugged section of WDWInfo.com?
Good thought. I just went to the Podcast page and it does have summaries for the most recent episodes but only for 3 of the shows: Tuesday show, Universal, and Dreams. If you want to see the others, you have to click on each individual show to see the summaries. Not terribly difficult but still a bit of a pain. It would be nice if that summary page had all of the shows. Seems like a simple enough thing.

Yes they do, but Get out of here with your logic and reasoning.

Yeah, I mean, it's too much to ask someone to look through YT to find the content THEY want to watch... Especially when YT does this handy little thing where they put "Watched" on any video you've... you know... watched.
Let's make the team go back to wasting 10 minutes of each Tuesday show to read out a synopsis of all the shows they do now... :rolleyes2

Wow. How do I know I want to watch something if I don't know about it? I never said 10 minutes. I am happy you have the spare time to search through content you don't listen to in order to find the an item you might be interested in. Craig just mentioned new content on the wdwInfo YT channel and I appreciate it. I don't normally listen to the Disneyland show and would never randomly look there, however, if they mentioned on the Dis Unplugged they were covering the opening of SWGE I would listen to that show.

Advertising is the act of getting the word out on product or services. It makes perfect "logic and reasoning" to spend a minute or so advertising your other broadcasts to increase viewership.

Wow. How do I know I want to watch something if I don't know about it? I never said 10 minutes. I am happy you have the spare time to search through content you don't listen to in order to find the an item you might be interested in. Craig just mentioned new content on the wdwInfo YT channel and I appreciate it. I don't normally listen to the Disneyland show and would never randomly look there, however, if they mentioned on the Dis Unplugged they were covering the opening of SWGE I would listen to that show.

Advertising is the act of getting the word out on product or services. It makes perfect "logic and reasoning" to spend a minute or so advertising your other broadcasts to increase viewership.

I definitely think it makes sense to advertise new things or like on this past episode that they are make efforts to put more up on the WDWInfo youtube channel, etc. I know in the past they would run down all of the shows and then people complained that it took up too much time and not everyone was interesting in everything

There is probably a happy medium where they can highlight new things or if there is a "hot topic" covered in another show. Also, I know they have been pushing the newsletter more - maybe that can include a rundown as well or someother way to get the info out without taking up "too much" time from the main show

It shouldn't take more than 1-2 minutes to read a quick summary of each show for the week. And/or put it on the Podcast page that currently has summaries but of only 3 of their shows.

I do think part of the issue when they used to do it was that they didn't just read it in 1-2 minutes but would comment on everything and get input form others and it was taking like 15-20 mins

I know people suggested, at the time, putting up like a ticker or something that displayed info on the other shows as an alternative. Doesn't help those that only listen though (maybe a reading of the info could be added int o the audio version? not sure how much effort that would be)

In any event, probably would be some benefit to highlighting/marketing the other shows in some capacity

I do think part of the issue when they used to do it was that they didn't just read it in 1-2 minutes but would comment on everything and get input form others and it was taking like 15-20 mins
Exactly. It was taking far longer than necessary but rather than tightening it up, they just dropped it entirely which wasn't the only solution.

Exactly. It was taking far longer than necessary but rather than tightening it up, they just dropped it entirely which wasn't the only solution.

I know people suggested, at the time, putting up like a ticker or something that displayed info on the other shows as an alternative. Doesn't help those that only listen though (maybe a reading of the info could be added int o the audio version? not sure how much effort that would be)

In any event, probably would be some benefit to highlighting/marketing the other shows in some capacity

My thoughts exactly. I think listing the upcoming shows would be helpful, I don't need to know when they load but perhaps that is important to other people.

Just from a marketing point of view (something I do professionally) the brand is very thinned out. Multiple podcast feeds, multiple youtube channels etc. Either two things should happen:
  1. Roll everything into one Youtube channel and inside the channel create video play lists of all the different shows. The DIS has 70k subs and the Dis Unplugged has 117k subs, dreams has 15k subs. It's all the same content creators, and you're missing out on a lot of potential views. Just look at the average views across all channels.
    • The same thing could be said about the podcasts. I liked it when everything was under one feed. Podcast apps make it easier to track multiple feeds though so it's not that much more of an issue (for me). But I wonder how much people miss other shows because they don't check or have the other feeds?
    • Also, the same thing could be said about the different brands like Disboards and WDWINFO. They are treated like two different entities, but I get the value of the actual URLs. My confusion is that each entity is almost treated differently or independently. Strange. "The DIS" is an excellent brand and should be expanded.
  2. Keep everything the same and develop a DIS app that curates everything together in one place. All the videos, podcasts, news, boards etc. That's not a very expensive endevour. If WDWNT can do it, the Dis can and the Dis has much better production value by far (I don't know who does it, but someone knows how to make a darn good fireworks video).

Which brings us to the point being discussed. They have just started cross pollinating properly on the show. Promoting Disboards and the vast community there. Promoting Dreams outside the shoutout at the beginning.

They should be doing a quick rapid fire of "Whats coming this week on the DisNetwork? This week we'll be reviewing XYZ and Talking about 123 on the Disneyland Show and then we'll be reviewing Steve Portar's top 5 WDW Attractions on Saturday!"

Someone needs to be promoted to become a Content Director.

Just from a marketing point of view (something I do professionally) the brand is very thinned out. Multiple podcast feeds, multiple youtube channels etc. Either two things should happen:
  1. Roll everything into one Youtube channel and inside the channel create video play lists of all the different shows. The DIS has 70k subs and the Dis Unplugged has 117k subs, dreams has 15k subs. It's all the same content creators, and you're missing out on a lot of potential views. Just look at the average views across all channels.
    • The same thing could be said about the podcasts. I liked it when everything was under one feed. Podcast apps make it easier to track multiple feeds though so it's not that much more of an issue (for me). But I wonder how much people miss other shows because they don't check or have the other feeds?
    • Also, the same thing could be said about the different brands like Disboards and WDWINFO. They are treated like two different entities, but I get the value of the actual URLs. My confusion is that each entity is almost treated differently or independently. Strange. "The DIS" is an excellent brand and should be expanded.
  2. Keep everything the same and develop a DIS app that curates everything together in one place. All the videos, podcasts, news, boards etc. That's not a very expensive endevour. If WDWNT can do it, the Dis can and the Dis has much better production value by far (I don't know who does it, but someone knows how to make a darn good fireworks video).

Which brings us to the point being discussed. They have just started cross pollinating properly on the show. Promoting Disboards and the vast community there. Promoting Dreams outside the shoutout at the beginning.

They should be doing a quick rapid fire of "Whats coming this week on the DisNetwork? This week we'll be reviewing XYZ and Talking about 123 on the Disneyland Show and then we'll be reviewing Steve Portar's top 5 WDW Attractions on Saturday!"

Someone needs to be promoted to become a Content Director.

Wow. Are you sending Pete a consulting bill? Really awesome advice.

Craig makes those videos and I was going to suggest that they put a sticky up at the top of the Theme Parks board with links to the videos that direct the traffic to wdwinfo Also there is a sticky at the top of the "Restaurant Board" entitled "Special Links on the Restaurant Board" which IMHO should include links to "The Dining Show". That makes sense to me.

The same thing could be said about the podcasts. I liked it when everything was under one feed.
I have mixed feelings on this. I really dislike that the DVC show is on the same feed as the Tuesday show. The two have nothing to do with each other. Personally I couldn't care less about the DVC show but I listen to the Tuesday show every week without fail. I wish the DVC show was somewhere else.

On the other hand, you run into a problem when they separate things. A while back, they gave the dining show it's own feed. A few weeks later, there was a thread here asking what happened to the dining show? I'm sure they lost listeners because the show disappeared from the main DIS feed.

It would be nice if everything could somehow be in one place, but still separated within that place if that makes sense. A DIS app would probably be a great solution. They've had one before but I don't think it's around anymore.

I have mixed feelings on this. I really dislike that the DVC show is on the same feed as the Tuesday show. The two have nothing to do with each other. Personally I couldn't care less about the DVC show but I listen to the Tuesday show every week without fail. I wish the DVC show was somewhere else.

On the other hand, you run into a problem when they separate things. A while back, they gave the dining show it's own feed. A few weeks later, there was a thread here asking what happened to the dining show? I'm sure they lost listeners because the show disappeared from the main DIS feed.

It would be nice if everything could somehow be in one place, but still separated within that place if that makes sense. A DIS app would probably be a great solution. They've had one before but I don't think it's around anymore.

They used to have a DISBoards app (for the forum) but Pete didn't like how it functioned and one main reason they moved to the new forum system was because of how well it worked on mobile devices, thus eliminating the need for a separate app. Did they used to have one for the shows as well?

Keep everything the same and develop a DIS app that curates everything together in one place. All the videos, podcasts, news, boards etc. That's not a very expensive endevour. If WDWNT can do it, the Dis can and the Dis has much better production value by far (I don't know who does it, but someone knows how to make a darn good fireworks video).

Don't let Craig see this comment. He may have trouble getting his head to fit in the studio. :laughing:

There are pros and cons to both sides, but ultimately it's about how do you get more listeners and broaden your audience. You don't like the DVC show being mingled in because you don't care about it, but you're expectations have been built that this feed is ONLY DisUnplugged. However if other content was in there, it wouldn't be as much as an aberration. The next point is, would you stop listening to the podcast (assuming you always listen that way) if there were other shows in that feed? I bet not. However, they may gain additional listeners if the Dreams Unlimited show was in there. The more exposure the better. You want to pool your audiences not fracture them.

That's why CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC don't have a comedy channel, news channel, drama channel, sports channel for all content on the single broadcast network. (It's why the NFL is on FOX broadcast and not on the cable FOX SPORTS channel).

The best solution would probably be the APP and a little bit of #1. They should really combine Youtube channels to be honest with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!