Perimenopause is making me INSANE!

As someone who has weathered the storm, I can promise you that you can and will get through this. I did it the hard way.

After years of suffering with painful endometriosis and infertility, I began perimenopause in my late thirties. At an annual OBGYN appointment, my doctor informed me that I needed an emergency hysterectomy. I had huge ovarian cysts and she told me that an Oncologist would be present for the surgery. Those are words nobody ever wants to hear. After the appointment, I sat in my car in the parking lot crying hysterically. At the time, my 10 year old daughter (IVF miracle) was home waiting for me. I couldn't let her see me like this. I called my brother who was a cancer survivor and totally lost it.

Within the next couple of days, I was on the operating table for a 7 hour surgery. I had a blood transfusion, and after a week, I went home. By the grace of God, I was cancer-free. However because of my family's history of cancer...basically everyone but me, I was unable to take any hormones or natural supplements like soy. I was going to have to do it without any help.

And, that is exactly what I did. I rode the menopausal roller coaster without any hormones or natural supplements. I had night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings. You name it, I had the symptom.

Eleven years later, it is finally over. I did it. So can you.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it looks like many others have done so over the years too. I just need others to commiserate with. I just don't feel like myself and I hate it. I have insomnia, wake up hot (but no hot flashes yet), acne, random heart flutters/palpitations, forgetfulness, I can go on... Hoping to get through this in the next couple of years (I'm 48 now).

Don't apologize - you're very welcome here!

Does anyone else get "cold flashes"? I was prepared for hot flashes but don't really have those (more like an occasional "warm flash"). But some nights I wake up so cold I don't want to get out of bed to use the restroom.

Me, me, me, me, me!!.........in fact, right around now most days. :cold:

I'd always run really cold right before my period, but now it seems to happen when the sun the goes down. It's like the real temperature drops a couple of degrees, and my body interprets it as dropping 20. It's weird.

Otherwise, I'm doing OK. I had a few of what I called "normal flashes" when I was first starting to miss periods, but those have pretty much stopped.

I was emotionally up and down a lot for a while, too, but that seemed to level out some as well. (Though I'm all over the place lately - but I think that's due to the roller coaster of life, rather than hormones.)

My last "real" period was July, so I'm hoping I'm on the path to being done with it all.

Glad to hear everything worked out OK for you!

Last edited:
As someone who has weathered the storm, I can promise you that you can and will get through this. I did it the hard way.

After years of suffering with painful endometriosis and infertility, I began perimenopause in my late thirties. At an annual OBGYN appointment, my doctor informed me that I needed an emergency hysterectomy. I had huge ovarian cysts and she told me that an Oncologist would be present for the surgery. Those are words nobody ever wants to hear. After the appointment, I sat in my car in the parking lot crying hysterically. At the time, my 10 year old daughter (IVF miracle) was home waiting for me. I couldn't let her see me like this. I called my brother who was a cancer survivor and totally lost it.

Within the next couple of days, I was on the operating table for a 7 hour surgery. I had a blood transfusion, and after a week, I went home. By the grace of God, I was cancer-free. However because of my family's history of cancer...basically everyone but me, I was unable to take any hormones or natural supplements like soy. I was going to have to do it without any help.

And, that is exactly what I did. I rode the menopausal roller coaster without any hormones or natural supplements. I had night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings. You name it, I had the symptom.

I've gone cold turkey as well. Not for any health reasons though. Fortunately, I've not had as much of a roller coaster ride as you have. Glad things worked out for you. I am quite thankful that it has been relatively easy for me. Moderate hot flashes, very few night sweats-if any. I've not really had mood swings unless you count anxiety. Man, sometimes I feel as insecure as a 13 yr old at her first dance:). And that didn't really start until recently. I started peri-menopause in my early 40's. I'ts been about 5 yrs since "Aint Martha" ( as my completely southern grandmother used to say) visited. I was 49. I have loved every minute of it. I will gladly take what ever comes my way now compared to that horrid old "Aint Martha"!

I can't take the hot flashes. And for me they are literally "flashes" but I still can't stand them. My friends doctor told her to take Estroven a natural supplement and they helped her, so I started taking them too. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Estroven...MIk_r7oua04AIVhLbACh0NjABWEAQYBCABEgJZIfD_BwE

I took them for 6 mos last year Oct-Mar and when my box was up I didn't buy another and I was fine, never got another hot flash, could I be that lucky? Nope started up again this December, so I'm taking them again. I don't experience hot flashes on them.

I told my gyno and she was like whatever works for you. I'm hoping it doesn't last long this go around either! Probably when my allergies start bothering me and I start my allergy meds, I'll take myself off these and see how it goes.

I’m 39 and in peri now. Had hyster with ovaries and 1 tube kept due to stage 4 endo almost 10 years ago. The worst symptom for me by far is the constant annoying entire body electricity shocks, joint pain, and body temp not regulating mostly extreme heat or the quick extreme cold feeling.

For me it all started last year. I got my first ever migraine that wouldn’t go away. I would rarely get headaches to begin with out of nowhere.

I can’t do hormones. So I’m on my own.

I’m through menopause now, pretty much. No period for 3 years but still get hot flashes off and on but nothing I can’t handle. It’s the lack of sleep that’s killing me! Anyone have any tips? I sometimes take melatonin but I don’t think it’s probably a good idea to take them every night.

How do you know you're in perimenopause? I'm always hot, so I don't know if I would notice hot flashes.

Doctors are probably feeling a little unarmed dealing with menopause since they stopped routinely recommending estrogen replacement.

Does anyone else get "cold flashes"? I was prepared for hot flashes but don't really have those (more like an occasional "warm flash"). But some nights I wake up so cold I don't want to get out of bed to use the restroom.

My GYNs are back on the wagon of giving some very low dose Prempro. It is a fraction of what it was even just 10 years ago. Without risk factors they are okay with it. I've tried it a few times but I feel a bit "off" but I think if I could get past it, my symptoms would improve. My friend is using it and it has really helped her insomnia.

I do get the cold flashes too. Not as often as hot, but sometimes I get so cold I just can't get warm.

I had horrible cold spells, it was much harder to deal with than the hot flashes. Intense cold to the point of not being able to warm up no matter how much I layered, or had blankets on. My DH would hold me in bed and he is a furnace, still couldn’t get warm. I am passed all of this but will still get occasional hot flashes.

I’m through menopause now, pretty much. No period for 3 years but still get hot flashes off and on but nothing I can’t handle. It’s the lack of sleep that’s killing me! Anyone have any tips? I sometimes take melatonin but I don’t think it’s probably a good idea to take them every night.
To be honest, ever since pregnancy, I haven’t slept straight through the night. Breastfeeding for a year definitely got me in a routine of getting up multiple times a night and going back to sleep. I get up at least three times a night to pee. It’s become normal for me.

I can handle the waking up because I fall back asleep easily. The hard nights for me are those rare nights that my mind won’t turn off, and I can’t fall asleep in the first place.

I find that the more active I am and the more fresh air I get during the day, the easier it is to fall asleep.

To be honest, ever since pregnancy, I haven’t slept straight through the night. Breastfeeding for a year definitely got me in a routine of getting up multiple times a night and going back to sleep. I get up at least three times a night to pee. It’s become normal for me.

I can handle the waking up because I fall back asleep easily. The hard nights for me are those rare nights that my mind won’t turn off, and I can’t fall asleep in the first place.

I find that the more active I am and the more fresh air I get during the day, the easier it is to fall asleep.
I could sleep through the night after kids it’s just been like the last 10 years. I can fall asleep fairly easy but then I wake up and can’t shut my brain off. And then I listen to my DH breathing/snoring. So then I usually get up and sleep in the guest room. Would just love to sleep through the night!

I could sleep through the night after kids it’s just been like the last 10 years. I can fall asleep fairly easy but then I wake up and can’t shut my brain off. And then I listen to my DH breathing/snoring. So then I usually get up and sleep in the guest room. Would just love to sleep through the night!

Agree, I haven't really slept through the night in many years. I, too, seem to fall asleep easy and do well for 2-3 hours. Then it is constant waking. Some nights I go back to sleep easily only to rewake an hour later and that goes on all night. Other nights, it is just waking up and staying that way.

For those of you with mood swings,it might be worth trying CBD oil.That tends to smooth me right out-and no grogginess.

I had horrible cold spells, it was much harder to deal with than the hot flashes. Intense cold to the point of not being able to warm up no matter how much I layered, or had blankets on. My DH would hold me in bed and he is a furnace, still couldn’t get warm. I am passed all of this but will still get occasional hot flashes.
Yes! That's how intense it is. Teeth chattering, the whole bit.

Same here. After all those years (3 kids) of pregnancy, breastfeeding and crying babies, it was never the same.

That's so scary! Those of you who did sudden surgical menopause without hormones have my sympathy! I did the Lupron for 3 months in my 20's, so understand what the loss off estrogen does at early ages. It's so intense.

What an immense relief though that it wasn't cancer!

Okay...yes! I forgot to mention the most important thing...

I kicked my snoring husband out of the bedroom!!!

He snores like a chainsaw on steroids, and to be honest, I know I snore too. We kept waking each other up, so we started using ear plugs. I ended up clogging up my ears so badly with wax that I couldn't hear. I had to get them flushed out at the doctor's office, and suddenly I could hear like never before. The doctor told me to kick him out.

So, I cleaned out the spare room which already had a twin bed in it. I must have thrown away 20 bags of garbage from stuff I saved. I bought him beautiful bedding at the Company Store and a memory foam topper. He was only going to try for a night or two. After my first night of blissful sleep, I told him that he was sleeping there from now on.

Now I'm dreading sharing a hotel room with him in April...

Okay...yes! I forgot to mention the most important thing...

I kicked my snoring husband out of the bedroom!!!

He snores like a chainsaw on steroids, and to be honest, I know I snore too. We kept waking each other up, so we started using ear plugs. I ended up clogging up my ears so badly with wax that I couldn't hear. I had to get them flushed out at the doctor's office, and suddenly I could hear like never before. The doctor told me to kick him out.

So, I cleaned out the spare room which already had a twin bed in it. I must have thrown away 20 bags of garbage from stuff I saved. I bought him beautiful bedding at the Company Store and a memory foam topper. He was only going to try for a night or two. After my first night of blissful sleep, I told him that he was sleeping there from now on.

Now I'm dreading sharing a hotel room with him in April...

Ha ha! We ended up doing this too. I am such a light sleeper anyway and menopause issue made everything 10 times worse. He snores a bit and is a fitful/restless sleeper so even when I managed to get to sleep, he was waking me up.

We've had a few rough nights in hotel rooms. This summer it was 8 nights at Disney (my snoring son was in the room too). I did *okay* there. The worst was a wedding this past December. I think I stayed awake all night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter