• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pedicure while pregnant

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
Well, it has happened. My feet have started to expand and all my shoes are too tight. I've got to get new ones. Im going to get something I can slip on, and my ties will probably show, since I want shoes that are as breathable and cool as possible (lovely hot flashes).

So even though I won't be able to see my toes much longer, I would like to paint my toenails. I'm reading conflicting info on if its safe. So moms, did you paint your nails while you were pregnant? What brand did you use?

Well, it has happened. My feet have started to expand and all my shoes are too tight. I've got to get new ones. Im going to get something I can slip on, and my ties will probably show, since I want shoes that are as breathable and cool as possible (lovely hot flashes).

So even though I won't be able to see my toes much longer, I would like to paint my toenails. I'm reading conflicting info on if its safe. So moms, did you paint your nails while you were pregnant? What brand did you use?

I so did (both my girls were Summer babies :)) many of our spas/salons actually offer "mommy to be" services. Towards the end my feet were so swollen, that having them massage my feet was wonderful! And I believe they used "Orly" polish

First, CONGRATULATIONS! :banana:

My daughter is newly (16 weeks) pregnant, and this is one of the countless questions she's asked recently. So, I did some homework & found a website that lists some "safe" nail polishes. Now, I'm not a doctor, so be sure you consult your OB in case your particular pregnancy requires you to be more circumspect.

Safe Polishes for Pregnancy

I have had to buy some new shoes recently to accommodate a new AFO & can gladly recommend the Skechers Go Walks! They are super lightweight, comfy, and come in all kinds of colors & sizes up to 4E width. Oh, and did I mention comfy? Because the soles are just dreamy. Check Kohl's - I got mine with a 20% off code & free shipping (they allow you to stack coupon codes).

Good luck!

I got one with both my kids. Never had any serious concerns about it.

Go for it and enjoy!

I'm on my 3rd DD, and I've gotten pedicures with all of them. They have all their fingers and toes, and miraculously, only one head. Right now I'm wearing OPI "A Grape Fit". Actually, OPI is pretty much all I wear.

I have had pedicure with all four of my children with no problems. Just make sure they don't massage your ankles. Their are pressure points that trigger labor located in the ankles.

I have never heard of polish being an issue. I had regular pedicures while pregnant. However, I'd encourage you to find someplace that is well ventilated because the fumes from the acrylics, etc. can be very harsh in some of these salons.

Just be sure to tell the pedicurist to be gentle with your swollen ankles/legs. And enjoy! :)

Thanks all! I'm going to whip out the nail polish tonight and paint my toes! And I told DH we are going on a field trip to DSW in the morning.

My girlfriends treated me to lunch & a spa pedicure about a month before my due date. It was HEAVENLY!!! My only regret was not getting it done more often during my pregnancy! I felt like I had a new pair of feet when I was done! It was kind of a high end place & they told me it was perfectly safe (not sure what brand they used).

I would just make sure you are choosing a place that you can trust is going to be very sanitary in cleaning their tools and stuff.

I had a pedi while pregnant. I didn't know there were issues at the time:confused3 Never had an issue. I like OPI.

My DS is now 15. I got regular pedicures while pregnant...before becoming pregnant...and long after too! In all honesty I never worried about it. I'd imagine that what's in the fish I eat (or insert any other food or drink) is likely as bad or worse for me than a pedicure :confused3.

My vote is that you should go ahead and just enjoy!

With DS not only did I get pedicure & manicures, I also did them I worked in a salon. Plus I colored peoples hair & my own. I also was lucky to get weekly massages.

Kae

The (unfounded) fear of pedicures while pregnant is that foot massages can trigger labor.

Nail polish, not an issue. Haven't you seen pregnant nail techs working? They have a lot more to worry about (longterm exposure to fumes and products) than someone receiving an hour-long monthly pedicure.

Glad you decided to take the plunge and paint your toes!

We are due at right around the same time, btw. :)

I gave myself a Shellac manicure at home the past couple weeks and didn't really think anything of it. It's getting to be sandal season here in Wisconsin (well, sort of...highs in the 40s today!) so I think I might go get a pedicure. I'm going to skip the foot/ankle massage and I'm going to go to a place that I trust (very clean, uses sterilized equipment, well ventilated) where the pedicure chairs are aways away from the manicure tables with the fake nails.

I haven't grown out of my shoes, but I wear very forgiving shoes. I wear Crocs flats to work and around town and I wear sneakers to the gym. I had to wear pointy toe heels for a wedding I was in last weekend and I wanted to scream!!!

I had pedicures and acrylics the entire time I was pregnant. No problems, and it would never occur to me to worry about it. It seems like they are findnig more and more things that will "kill your baby!!!!" if you do them. Persnoally, I think it is all a load or bull for the most part. Use common sense and you will be fine!!

Just got back from taking DD to get nails for prom. A very pregnant woman was there getting a mani/pedi. I say enjoy any pampering you can get!

I remember being concerned about this too. The reasons vary--the fumes can affect some women, some are worried about leeching chemicals, and others are worried that the massage can trigger pressure points and induce labor.

My OB said that she's done research and that pedicures are very safe. Make sure you are in a venilated area, and the pressure points will only trigger labor if you're ready to GO into labor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter