Pearl Castaway level?

I've done short cruises and I've done a B2B, but I don't do those exclusively. The notion that there are a high number of pearl cruisers that do nothing but short cruises is hard for me to believe. The short cruises are the most expensive per night and I would think at some point you would want to try something new.
I agree. I will say that on that Wonder cruise the new cruisers hugely seemed to outnumber the repeat cruisers. There weren’t even that many silvers that I saw.

Next year I have an 8 night Alaska and the EBPC booked, I’m sure the latter will have tons of gold/platinums on board!

I'm not complaining because it is what it is, and I highly doubt I'll ever get to pearl level. But I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority of those who qualify for pearl are those living in Florida who can hop in their Honda CRV's and drive an hour or two to Port Canaveral or Miami for a quick getaway weekend and jump on one of the ships.

Maybe, but I am an exception...living in NY with 52 DCL cruises since 1998 MV of the Magic. I would cruise more but the transportation costs really add on.

MJ

Last edited:
I agree with you. Every unique cruise or long cruise I've taken has had a disproportionate number of platinum and gold cruisers. The short ones seem to be mostly first-time cruisers. I would love to know how many platinum cruisers that post on this board take multiple short cruises every year. My guess is probably few to none.

Live way outside Florida and hardly every take short cruises. I will take a 5 or 6 night if the Magic in NYC but mostly we fly to Florida for the longer cruises. I agree....most of the longer cruises have a high number of Platinum cruisers.

MJ

Not so sure about the from the beginning statement. Our very first cruise back in 2002 as far as I knew we didn't have a port arrival time. We probably got there at 9 in the morning (a little excited) and waited in the parking lot (no parking garage yet) until they would let us in the building.

There also wasn't a queue leading up to the funnel ears so we camped out right next to them and were the first to board the ship. A couple of lifetimes ago when it comes to DCL's processes but it was great.
Yep...in the beginning there was no PAT assigned. No queue either set up by the ears. We also remember just sitting on the floor and creating a self governing line.

Live way outside Florida and hardly every take short cruises. I will take a 5 or 6 night if the Magic in NYC but mostly we fly to Florida for the longer cruises. I agree....most of the longer cruises have a high number of Platinum cruisers.

MJ
You used to be able to get an idea by the platinum check in line. On certain cruises we've take like Quebec and Hawaii it was longer than the regular line. At PC there was never a line.

We only have done short cruises when we combined it with WDW or Universal. It's too far of a trip for us just for a short cruise.

You used to be able to get an idea by the platinum check in line. On certain cruises we've take like Quebec and Hawaii it was longer than the regular line. At PC there was never a line.

We only have done short cruises when we combined it with WDW or Universal. It's too far of a trip for us just for a short cruise.

We did Quebec and Hawaii also!!!

MJ

We’ve taken 28 DCL cruises with a total of 159 nights. That works out to an average of 5.7 nights per cruise. We’ve been on cruises from 3-11 nights, in staterooms ranging from inside to 1BR concierge. We’ve cruised every ship multiple times, done repositioning and BTB cruises, and have departed from 7 different ports. We’ll be happy to be Pearl when it comes online, but wouldn’t have been bothered if we hadn’t qualified yet.

We’ve taken 28 DCL cruises with a total of 159 nights. That works out to an average of 5.7 nights per cruise. We’ve been on cruises from 3-11 nights, in staterooms ranging from inside to 1BR concierge. We’ve cruised every ship multiple times, done repositioning and BTB cruises, and have departed from 7 different ports. We’ll be happy to be Pearl when it comes online, but wouldn’t have been bothered if we hadn’t qualified yet.
You've done the same number as us. We averaged 6.7 nights per cruise. I don't think will ever experience concierge though. We've done a lot of inside rooms.

You've done the same number as us. We averaged 6.7 nights per cruise. I don't think will ever experience concierge though. We've done a lot of inside rooms.
Concierge was one and done for us. We wanted to try it, but honestly didn’t really enjoy it other than having the larger room.

I agree with you. Every unique cruise or long cruise I've taken has had a disproportionate number of platinum and gold cruisers. The short ones seem to be mostly first-time cruisers. I would love to know how many platinum cruisers that post on this board take multiple short cruises every year. My guess is probably few to none.
We are platinum and do multiple short cruises a year. (and multiple longer ones but those tend to more be on Royal)

We do the shorter Disney ones, partially because we sail on holiday weeks when the kids are out of school, so the cost is a factor.

Does anyone know target date for new ship Treasure sailing?

Wondering if DCL will start offering Treasure Maiden Voyage reservations to Pearl status when Pearl Status launches or if guests have some time to complete any sailings needed to attain Pearl status.

Last edited:
There are too(?) many Platinums given the size of the overall DCL sailing population, so adding another, higher level and re-figuring the bennies makes sense. Palo shouldnt operate as a loss leader just to make FL Residents and back-to-back Dream'ers (yes, we did that once) happy. I do miss those more-intimate welcomes in Fathoms or D-Lounge though.

I’m not sure I’m following this line of thinking a $45 incentive for their highest affinity group is a loss leader…??

I’m not sure I’m following this line of thinking a $45 incentive for their highest affinity group is a loss leader…??
Agree. Loss leader means you sell a product at a loss to attract new and hopefully future customers...like a Costco Chicken.

Giving away a $45 incentive to incentivize you to spend multiple thousands of dollars on the cruise itself it's just plain good marketing.

Agree. Loss leader means you sell a product at a loss to attract new and hopefully future customers...like a Costco Chicken.

Giving away a $45 incentive to incentivize you to spend multiple thousands of dollars on the cruise itself it's just plain good marketing.

I had to read that a few times to ensure I was not reading it the wrong way. Other crusie lines give you two specialty restaurants, but a Palo benefit for spending thousands to get there and CONTINUE to pay to enjoy. Loss leader.

Some of the cruises we don't even go to Palo. It's Ok food, but I don't always want to spend the extra money on the tip. I know that sounds cheap, but after you've eaten there a dozen times and the menu is always the same it kind of loses it's wow factor.

Some of the cruises we don't even go to Palo. It's Ok food, but I don't always want to spend the extra money on the tip. I know that sounds cheap, but after you've eaten there a dozen times and the menu is always the same it kind of loses it's wow factor.
I can see that. For us we almost always did Brunch (since we do more 3-day cruises) and before Covid that ALWAYS had the wow factor with the buffet. Now that the seafood buffet is gone, it has lost the wow factor for us but we still go because I love that Chicken Parm.

For Dinner, I guess that still feels special because we so rarely do it. We haven't done a Palo dinner in years.

I can see that. For us we almost always did Brunch (since we do more 3-day cruises) and before Covid that ALWAYS had the wow factor with the buffet. Now that the seafood buffet is gone, it has lost the wow factor for us but we still go because I love that Chicken Parm.

For Dinner, I guess that still feels special because we so rarely do it. We haven't done a Palo dinner in years.
The last time we went the bill was 135.00. My dh ordered steak off the ala carte menu. You add in the tip and a couple of adult beverages and it's hardly free anymore. I prefer the old menu when you could order whatever you wanted and it was included in the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter