Pearl and platinum

I always get five. No matter how fast I am I believe that is earliest available. Haven’t tried the new system. I’m concierge for my July cruise so I wasn’t sure if I need to get a pat or not. Last august on wish I did. So this time up til midnight and through all the uploads and then it said arrive when you want. So who knows
I think for Concierge you will still have to select a PAT* as part of the online check in process, but it doesn't matter. You can show up to the port anytime after 11. (Note I have not sailed Concierge but am doing so in November, so this comment is based on my research, not personal experience).

We sailed from Port Canaveral on the Fantasy, on 4/15/23. At 30 day checkin, I logged in at 12:01 am and have been doing this long enough to speed through check in. I got 11:15am port arrival time, BUT... got boarding group 7! 😩

So, what I found out on embarkation day is that people on DCL buses from the resort get boarding groups 1-6. Because I was driving to port and parking there, the best boarding group I could get was 7! I was very mad. I stayed up til midnight only to see appx 1,800 people stroll past me to board for an hour. I talked to the customer service supervisor about it. She told me I was "lucky" to get group 7.

I understand they need to turn over the resort buses, but let them use the same queue as the rest of us! I dont think this change in check in date for Platinum and Pearl is going to help, since it doesnt seem to impact boarding group (if still assigned based on how people arrive to port.) Are people "fudging" their arrival method to improve their boarding group? 🤨 Thoughts?
Same here. Platinum as well and I was disappointed to get #7.

Bottom line is any day the process could be a bit different.....some don't check PAT as you enter, some do. All depends on who is working that day I think. I was told that only 1-4 was reserved for people on DCL transfers from the resorts and the Hyatt at MCO. People on DCL transfers from MCO (other than the Hyatt) still had to pick a PAT.

Just for reference....we sailed on March 4, 2023 for a Pixar cruise. Originally, we did not have DCL transfers as we were staying overnight in PC and was just going to rent a car at MCO and drop off at PC. We did our online check in at 30 days out and got a PAT of 11:45 I think and a boarding group of 17.

Well, our plans changed a week before the cruise and we wound up renting a car and returning it to WDW as we added an extra night there. So we decided to book DCL transfers from Coronado Springs. As soon as we did that our PAT changed to 11:00 am and our boarding group changed to #3.

I am Pearl at 53 DCL and I really do think that deserves a dedicated early boarding group like Platinum used to be. I read somewhere that there are approximately 4,000 Pearl members so I can't see how that would cause a problem on any particular cruise. I can't see Pearl members crowding out the bus people on any given cruise.

MJ
It’s the least they could do. Royal doesn’t do boarding groups and it goes just fine. If they would get rid of the announcing your family thing it would speed up the whole process.

It’s the least they could do. Royal doesn’t do boarding groups and it goes just fine. If they would get rid of the announcing your family thing it would speed up the whole process.
Do people scramble to arrive at the port hours before their boarding on Royal tho..? The rental car shuttle drivers have told us DCL is the worst for drop off back ups. I think on the other lines people just naturally stagger - we waltzed right on to the ship the two times we sailed Royal as well, no lines in PC or Vancouver. If I didn't have to go to dining changes to ascertain we got our own table, I wouldn't care when we arrived at all as long as we don't miss the ship. But as long as I have to do it that way, we'll keep trying to board as soon as possible.

Do people scramble to arrive at the port hours before their boarding on Royal tho..? The rental car shuttle drivers have told us DCL is the worst for drop off back ups. I think on the other lines people just naturally stagger - we waltzed right on to the ship the two times we sailed Royal as well, no lines in PC or Vancouver. If I didn't have to go to dining changes to ascertain we got our own table, I wouldn't care when we arrived at all as long as we don't miss the ship. But as long as I have to do it that way, we'll keep trying to board as soon as possible.
I've only cruised Royal twice. We showed up at the port checked in were eating lunch in 30 minutes both times. If I remember correctly it was the same on Carnival. I don't know why Disney cruisers need to show up hours before boarding. Maybe it's conditioning from rope dropping at WDW or waking up before dawn to get a virtual queue. Do Disney vacationers always need to be first or have we just been conditioned to think that way?

I don't care about being first. I just feel like with the number of cruises I've done I should be able to show up at whatever time I get there and board the ship.

On Royal and Carnival people just walk on there's not this big production of stopping the flow and announcing names.

Last edited:
I don't know why Disney cruisers need to show up hours before boarding.
I know we usually need to check or change our dining assignment. DCL also holds back some Palo and Remy reservations, and some mixology classes. People are hoping to snag some of those.
Or, they are hoping to upgrade rooms, or eat in Cabanas before the crush of cruisers. Or, ride the Aquaduck before the line gets long.
Or, maybe just maximizing their cruise experience.

I know we usually need to check or change our dining assignment. DCL also holds back some Palo and Remy reservations, and some mixology classes. People are hoping to snag some of those.
Or, they are hoping to upgrade rooms, or eat in Cabanas before the crush of cruisers. Or, ride the Aquaduck before the line gets long.
Or, maybe just maximizing their cruise experience.
All those things are unique to Disney. Maybe it's time for Disney to revamp how they do things. Why not have waitlists like other cruise lines. There is no reason people should have to show up in person.

Would love to see them improve their process, and their technology (website, etc). Also, do embarkation boarding by CC level.

I've only cruised Royal twice. We showed up at the port checked in were eating lunch in 30 minutes both times. If I remember correctly it was the same on Carnival. I don't know why Disney cruisers need to show up hours before boarding. Maybe it's conditioning from rope dropping at WDW or waking up before dawn to get a virtual queue. Do Disney vacationers always need to be first or have we just been conditioned to think that way?

I don't care about being first. I just feel like with the number of cruises I've done I should be able to show up at whatever time I get there and board the ship.

On Royal and Carnival people just walk on there's not this big production of stopping the flow and announcing names.
There are things I like to get done before 4pm.
•Eat a leisurely lunch outside to see the port and watch the marine life, if any is available.
•Talk to Foodservice about my allergies and how to work around them.
•Attend spa raffle.
•Unpack for the trip.
•Attend meet and greet.
•Pictures of the family on highest deck.
•Guest services to add my gift cards to my account. And any changes needed.

I usually get them done but not always. Several of those would seem intrusive to my vacation if I were to fit them in later in the day. I want to walk up to the deck party with absolute freedom. I even cut back on my FE experience because I was running through the hallway too long. Now I have a map and 1 stop drop-off gifts.

There are things I like to get done before 4pm.
•Eat a leisurely lunch outside to see the port and watch the marine life, if any is available.
•Talk to Foodservice about my allergies and how to work around them.
•Attend spa raffle.
•Unpack for the trip.
•Attend meet and greet.
•Pictures of the family on highest deck.
•Guest services to add my gift cards to my account. And any changes needed.

I usually get them done but not always. Several of those would seem intrusive to my vacation if I were to fit them in later in the day. I want to walk up to the deck party with absolute freedom. I even cut back on my FE experience because I was running through the hallway too long. Now I have a map and 1 stop drop-off gifts.
None of that really explains why people show up hours before their boarding time.

None of that really explains why people show up hours before their boarding time.
Part of the issue is that your Port Arrival Time (PAT) is assigned, but your boarding group number doesnt tell you when you'll be getting on the ship. For example, we picked the first boarding group in Port Canaveral (11:15am), but were assigned boarding group 7. So, we arrived at PC at 11:15am. Was in terminal by 11:20. But, DCL had assigned so many people to the boarding groups 1-6 (because of how many were bussing in from the parks this sailing) we waited a very long time to board. Took about 50 minutes from boarding group 1 anouncement to boarding group 7 call to board.
People with a later PATs often come early because they think DCL will go to open boarding earlier.
The whole process needs overhauling.

Part of the issue is that your Port Arrival Time (PAT) is assigned, but your boarding group number doesnt tell you when you'll be getting on the ship. For example, we picked the first boarding group in Port Canaveral (11:15am), but were assigned boarding group 7. So, we arrived at PC at 11:15am. Was in terminal by 11:20. But, DCL had assigned so many people to the boarding groups 1-6 (because of how many were bussing in from the parks this sailing) we waited a very long time to board. Took about 50 minutes from boarding group 1 anouncement to boarding group 7 call to board.
People with a later PATs often come early because they think DCL will go to open boarding earlier.
The whole process needs overhauling.
I agree about the overhauling. Every cruise (4) since the Covid restart boarding has been a disaster for one reason or the other. We have always booked a lot of discounted cruises within three months. As platinum, we could just board when we arrived.
If there is one perk they should have for status it's priority boarding. All hotels and airlines give at least that as a perk. It's so annoying that as someone with over 25 cruises, I have to wait in the terminal for the first-time cruisers to board.

I just got off a Royal cruise and on one of the excursions, I sat behind a woman who did nothing but talk about her status with Royal. She sounded very entitled and pretentious and it was annoying as heck, but on the other hand, all the stuff she got with her "status" was pretty impressive.

First seating and a late boarding time is stressful. You miss stuff. Lunch, meet and greets, open house at clubs. Straight to deck sail away party after rushing through the hallway to drop off your carryon luggage. And swimming is out of the question all together. What’s not to like for getting on at or before lunch?. I’m paying extra just to get an early boarding time. By extra I’m getting Disney transportation or hotel. It’s an overpriced “extra hours/bonus hours” option, but less stress for me personally.

But, if you can fill and empty a stadium of over 100 thousand people in 2-3 hours, then why can’t you do the same for 3-6 thousand people in 3-4 hours on a ship.

Or more simply, It just seems a waste of time to take so long to get on the ship. But it’s absolutely a waste of time in line if you can’t get on also.
Agree with all. They just take too long to board.

First seating and a late boarding time is stressful. You miss stuff. Lunch, meet and greets, open house at clubs. Straight to deck sail away party after rushing through the hallway to drop off your carryon luggage. And swimming is out of the question all together. What’s not to like for getting on at or before lunch?. I’m paying extra just to get an early boarding time. By extra I’m getting Disney transportation or hotel. It’s an overpriced “extra hours/bonus hours” option, but less stress for me personally.

But, if you can fill and empty a stadium of over 100 thousand people in 2-3 hours, then why can’t you do the same for 3-6 thousand people in 3-4 hours on a ship.

Or more simply, It just seems a waste of time to take so long to get on the ship. But it’s absolutely a waste of time in line if you can’t get on also.
Agree with all. They just take too long to board.
Like I said that doesn't explain why people show up hours before boarding begins. You're not getting on any earlier. I think they try to remedy this by assigning arrival times, but people still show up hours before their arrival time. Our arrival time was 12-1230 we showed up at 1215 there were already people lined up for 1 pm and 130. It always feels chaotic.

People line up for dinner 30 minutes before they open the doors. Why? You have a table reserved. I never saw this on Royal. It's a mystery to me. I think Disney people just like waiting in lines.

Like I said that doesn't explain why people show up hours before boarding begins. You're not getting on any earlier. I think they try to remedy this by assigning arrival times, but people still show up hours before their arrival time. Our arrival time was 12-1230 we showed up at 1215 there were already people lined up for 1 pm and 130. It always feels chaotic.

People line up for dinner 30 minutes before they open the doors. Why? You have a table reserved. I never saw this on Royal. It's a mystery to me. I think Disney people just like waiting in lines.
I think some people, especially new DCL cruisers, don't understand the difference between PAT and boarding group. I think some think that PAT means you arrive at port and then immediately walk on the ship, so they arrive before their PAT to get a jump start on the process (not understanding that PAT means when you arrive and boarding group is linked, but not directly tied, to that).

I don't get lining up for dinner so early, so I agree with you that maybe Disney people just like waiting in lines, lol. Lines always move quick once the doors open, but still, they clog up the hallways and it doesn't matter since tables are assigned.

First time checking in under the new change by tier. Pearl checkin this morning for July 13th cruise. Didn’t go well. Website had issues. Got PAT 11:30 and Bg#7. Wow. I’m guessing silver and newbies will have very high boarding group numbers if Pearl is getting #7.

First time checking in under the new change by tier. Pearl checkin this morning for July 13th cruise. Didn’t go well. Website had issues. Got PAT 11:30 and Bg#7. Wow. I’m guessing silver and newbies will have very high boarding group numbers if Pearl is getting #7.
Not necessarily. Are you driving to port? Guests driveing into PC are getting pushed back to later boarding group numbers. DCL is now prioritizing bus arrivals from MCO and WDW, and giving them the earlier boarding groups.

We are drivers to port, and Platinum, and I've been complaining about it (to DCL) for my last few cruises. Hasn't done any good yet. 😕 PAT AND Boarding group # should be assigned by CC status, not method of getting to port.

Not necessarily. Are you driving to port? Guests driveing into PC are getting pushed back to later boarding group numbers. DCL is now prioritizing bus arrivals from MCO and WDW, and giving them the earlier boarding groups.

We are drivers to port, and Platinum, and I've been complaining about it (to DCL) for my last few cruises. Hasn't done any good yet. 😕 PAT AND Boarding group # should be assigned by CC status, not method of getting to port.
I don't really agree to the reasoning. If I am traveling by DCL transportation from a resort, they tell me when they are getting me, I don't have a choice. If I am picked up at 9:30 and arriving at the port by 10:30, I certainly do not want to sit around till 12:30 to board because I have to wait for Silver/Gold/Platinum/Pearl to board. That makes no sense.
Full disclosure, I am Platinum so I'm not saying this because I have no standing. I'm saying this because it makes no sense to me.

They could go back to having the dcl buses pickup resort guest at noon like before covid. Yes, I’m on a full ship and there are more buses. The only platinum perk I liked was the #1 boarding group. I also put it on my feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter