Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich?

Keegansmommy

Mouseketeer
If I make a packed lunch for my kids, can I put jelly on their sandwich of will this be confiscated as a liquid? Do I need to include the sandwich in their quart size baggie? I've never done this before but want to pack a lunch for them to eat during our layover. I'm thinking of getting a few jelly packets and putting in their baggie, but if I can make it ahead of time, why make more work for myself?

We have flown at least once a year with our kids, but I've never thought about jelly before.

Peanut butter and jelly are both fine as long as they are on a sandwich. If you pack them separately, they will need to go into the 3-1-1 bag.

A word of caution, though: there is always a possibility that someone on the flight could have a severe peanut allergy. If that's the case, the flight attendants will everyone to not eat peanut products on the plane. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. You might want to have a back-up plan just in case.

PB& J sandwich is fine in a sandwich but otherwise -both the peanut butter and or jelly would have to be under 3oz and in the 3-1-1 bag.

Same with cream cheese and bagel for example, on the bagel fine, on its own its a gel = baggie!

I always pack a breakfast/lunch when traveling but I avoid peanut butter in case there is an allergic passeger. Use frozen carrots or grapes as and ice pack and your set. Purchase drinks after security and add them to the soft sided cooler and your set for the flight.

Peanut butter and jelly are both fine as long as they are on a sandwich. If you pack them separately, they will need to go into the 3-1-1 bag.

A word of caution, though: there is always a possibility that someone on the flight could have a severe peanut allergy. If that's the case, the flight attendants will everyone to not eat peanut products on the plane. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. You might want to have a back-up plan just in case.

OP, this is exactly right and it has happened to us. We bought the cinnamon pecans from EPCOT on our departure day to munch on on the flight and couldn't wait. But sadly the FA announced a peanut allergy was onboard and please do not eat any types of nuts!

I suggest you leave the peanut butter off, or let the kiddos eat it before they board the plane.

I I've never done this before but want to pack a lunch for them to eat during our layover.

A word of caution, though: there is always a possibility that someone on the flight could have a severe peanut allergy. If that's the case, the flight attendants will everyone to not eat peanut products on the plane.

OP - your PB&J sandwiches will be fine going through security. Even if you weren't planning on eating them during a layover, there is very little chance that you would not be able to eat them on the plane as well. I fly a lot and not once have I ever heard a "no eating nut products" announcement.

I have oftern wondered about this because we have purchased a carton of Uncrustables while on a trip and wasn't sure it I could bring them home in our carry on. Good to know!

On the allergy issue-at my son's preschool, we were not allowed to pack peanut items due to severe allergies, but I could pack Nutella (hazelnut) & jelly sandwiches-raspberry or strawberry & chocolate is yummy! There is also a soy butter substitute, but my son preferred the taste of the Sunbutter (made with Sunflower seeds).

A word of caution, though: there is always a possibility that someone on the flight could have a severe peanut allergy. If that's the case, the flight attendants will everyone to not eat peanut products on the plane.

OP - your PB&J sandwiches will be fine going through security. Even if you weren't planning on eating them during a layover, there is very little chance that you would not be able to eat them on the plane as well. I fly a lot and not once have I ever heard a "no eating nut products" announcement.

I've been on several flights where this announcement was made due to a person onboard with a nut allergy. Sometimes they ask that you not open peanut products, and sometimes they ask that you not open any nuts. Yes the odds are not great that you will get this announcement onboard the plane but it's possible. It appears the OP wants the kids to eat the sandwiches in an airport during a layover though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter