Peace of mind for those who want it

Wendy1985

Loves everything fitness
If your disability is invisible you can still board early on all legs of my flight I had no problem bordering early and making myself feel comfortable with out feeling rushed so for those in the same shoes fear not although it might have helped that all I had was my backpack and no carry on luggage

If your disability is invisible you can still board early on all legs of my flight I had no problem bordering early and making myself feel comfortable with out feeling rushed so for those in the same shoes fear not although it might have helped that all I had was my backpack and no carry on luggage

Which airline did you fly?

The US Department of Transportation has some good information about traveling with a disability on flights to/from and within the US.

See https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/traveling-disability and https://www.transportation.gov/indi...r-protection/wheelchair-and-guided-assistance for instance. They also have other guidance including technical guidance.

I always travel with some key documents printed off and electronic copies of some others, both government documents and the airline's own policies. They have come in handy at times.

Some key quotes from the two pages linked above:

The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) is a law that makes it illegal for airlines to discriminate against passengers because of their disability. The Department of Transportation is responsible for enforcing the ACAA, which applies to all flights to, from, or within the United States.

Airlines are also required to provide passengers with disabilities many types of assistance, including wheelchair or other guided assistance to board, deplane, or connect to another flight; seating accommodation assistance that meets passengers’ disability-related needs; and assistance with the loading and stowing of assistive devices.

AND

If I have a disability, am I allowed to board the airplane before passengers without disabilities?
Yes. If you self-identify as a passenger with a disability who needs additional time or assistance to board the airplane, the airline must allow you to board the airplane before other passengers.

Note for that last one: this is literally what is required. The airline cannot require you to state what specifically the disability is, nor do you have to prove you have one -- self identification that you are "a passenger with a disability that needs additional time or assistance to board the airplane" is sufficient and what the regulations require. The airlines are then bound to allow you to pre-board.

I have been asked if I am able to walk to the plane myself or if I need assistance, and that is ok for them to ask (since obviously if I need assistance they would need to know so they can provide it). They may load you before or after those who are in wheelchairs (I have had both scenarios and as far as I can tell it depends on a combo of airline policy, the # of each, which is easier for them that particular day etc; IME those in wheelchairs usually go first, with those who need wheelchair all the way to the seat going before those who only need it to the plane door - I assume this is because it is person and equipment intensive and they don't want other people unintentionally getting in the way - safer for everyone that way), but regardless of the specific order they load those with disabilities, they have to load you before they load the rest of the passengers.

Here is DOT guidance for the airlines about pre-boarding: Additional Guidance: Preboarding of Air Travelers With Disabilities https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/preboarding-notice-final which has a link to a PDF of the guidance itself. I carry a printed copy of this document with me when I fly to/from or within the US.

This document is worth reading for anyone who preboards whether for an obvious or an invisible disability. For example, it is helpful to understand the following:

In the revised final rule published on May 13, 2008, the Department expanded the preboarding requirement to cover not only people who need a specific seat assignment or who need to stow their personal folding wheelchairs, but also to cover passengers that “need additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.” For a passenger to be entitled to preboarding, that passenger must self-identify at the gate as being a person with a disability that needs to preboard for one of the above-listed reasons. In the section-by-section analysis of the preamble to the final rule, the Department noted that the obligation to preboard passengers with disabilities “exists regardless of the carriers’ preboarding policies for other persons (e.g., families with small children).”

<the law is: 14 CFR 382.93 states, “As a carrier, you must offer preboarding to passengers with a disability who self-identify at the gate as needing additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.” >

and also this

It is the Enforcement Office’s view that section 382.93 requires carriers to board passengers with disabilities who self-identify at the gate as needing to preboard for one of the listed reasons to board the plane before all other passengers, including first class passengers, elite-level passengers, members of the military, passengers with small children, etc.

One thing I do when I fly is I do not rely on the airline to make a pre-boarding announcement (they aren't required to make one) : I present myself to the desk at the gate and self-identify to the airline employee there that I have a disability and will need to pre-board because I need extra time boarding. If they don't volunteer the info I will ask them if they will be making a pre-boarding announcement and at about what time. Sometimes they will ask me to sit in a specific area, but usually they don't. Sometimes they will come and get me before boarding starts and let me board, other times they may make a general pre-boarding announcement, it really depends; that is why I like to ask what they will be doing - so I know how to know it is time to pre-board.

SW

If you have a disability, even an invisible one, you can use the special services line at the ticket/baggage counter on Delta.

We discovered this the hard way at the end of April in Cancun. The baggage drop line was about 3 hours long, lines to the door of the terminal!! No way would poor DS be able to do that. I had to go fully momma bear but after several delta reps we were taken to the special services area. They were rather unprofessional asking several times "what's wrong with him?" but I chalk that up to Covid and Mexico. We have never had to use this line before nor would I use it if the line was manageable (30 min is pretty much his limit) but I am glad I know it's available.

We flew Southwest and I have to say that they actually made this easy, we checked in at the airline counter and they gave us a pass to show we needed preboarding and made sure a wheelchair was available for DH.

The US Department of Transportation has some good information about traveling with a disability on flights to/from and within the US.

See https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/traveling-disability and https://www.transportation.gov/indi...r-protection/wheelchair-and-guided-assistance for instance. They also have other guidance including technical guidance.

I always travel with some key documents printed off and electronic copies of some others, both government documents and the airline's own policies. They have come in handy at times.

Some key quotes from the two pages linked above:

The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) is a law that makes it illegal for airlines to discriminate against passengers because of their disability. The Department of Transportation is responsible for enforcing the ACAA, which applies to all flights to, from, or within the United States.

Airlines are also required to provide passengers with disabilities many types of assistance, including wheelchair or other guided assistance to board, deplane, or connect to another flight; seating accommodation assistance that meets passengers’ disability-related needs; and assistance with the loading and stowing of assistive devices.

AND

If I have a disability, am I allowed to board the airplane before passengers without disabilities?
Yes. If you self-identify as a passenger with a disability who needs additional time or assistance to board the airplane, the airline must allow you to board the airplane before other passengers.

Note for that last one: this is literally what is required. The airline cannot require you to state what specifically the disability is, nor do you have to prove you have one -- self identification that you are "a passenger with a disability that needs additional time or assistance to board the airplane" is sufficient and what the regulations require. The airlines are then bound to allow you to pre-board.

I have been asked if I am able to walk to the plane myself or if I need assistance, and that is ok for them to ask (since obviously if I need assistance they would need to know so they can provide it). They may load you before or after those who are in wheelchairs (I have had both scenarios and as far as I can tell it depends on a combo of airline policy, the # of each, which is easier for them that particular day etc; IME those in wheelchairs usually go first, with those who need wheelchair all the way to the seat going before those who only need it to the plane door - I assume this is because it is person and equipment intensive and they don't want other people unintentionally getting in the way - safer for everyone that way), but regardless of the specific order they load those with disabilities, they have to load you before they load the rest of the passengers.

Here is DOT guidance for the airlines about pre-boarding: Additional Guidance: Preboarding of Air Travelers With Disabilities https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/preboarding-notice-final which has a link to a PDF of the guidance itself. I carry a printed copy of this document with me when I fly to/from or within the US.

This document is worth reading for anyone who preboards whether for an obvious or an invisible disability. For example, it is helpful to understand the following:

In the revised final rule published on May 13, 2008, the Department expanded the preboarding requirement to cover not only people who need a specific seat assignment or who need to stow their personal folding wheelchairs, but also to cover passengers that “need additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.” For a passenger to be entitled to preboarding, that passenger must self-identify at the gate as being a person with a disability that needs to preboard for one of the above-listed reasons. In the section-by-section analysis of the preamble to the final rule, the Department noted that the obligation to preboard passengers with disabilities “exists regardless of the carriers’ preboarding policies for other persons (e.g., families with small children).”

<the law is: 14 CFR 382.93 states, “As a carrier, you must offer preboarding to passengers with a disability who self-identify at the gate as needing additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or be seated.” >

and also this

It is the Enforcement Office’s view that section 382.93 requires carriers to board passengers with disabilities who self-identify at the gate as needing to preboard for one of the listed reasons to board the plane before all other passengers, including first class passengers, elite-level passengers, members of the military, passengers with small children, etc.

One thing I do when I fly is I do not rely on the airline to make a pre-boarding announcement (they aren't required to make one) : I present myself to the desk at the gate and self-identify to the airline employee there that I have a disability and will need to pre-board because I need extra time boarding. If they don't volunteer the info I will ask them if they will be making a pre-boarding announcement and at about what time. Sometimes they will ask me to sit in a specific area, but usually they don't. Sometimes they will come and get me before boarding starts and let me board, other times they may make a general pre-boarding announcement, it really depends; that is why I like to ask what they will be doing - so I know how to know it is time to pre-board.

SW
Thank you so much for this information. Over the last few years my mother has been nursing some mobility issues and had back surgery last July. Since then, her mobility has significantly decreased, and she has been extremely anxious about the thought of traveling again. Every time I remind her that she just has to ask for help, she has an excuse for things she can't do on her own in the airport. So I sent her those two websites, and hope that they encourage her that she CAN return to traveling, when she so chooses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts