• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

passport question

Disbound

Mouseketeer
Anyone know how long it takes to get a passport? Does it vary by state or anything???

A passport is issued by the federal government. It has nothing to do with your state. However, there are different issuing offices. It typically takes 4-6 weeks to get one, but there can be busy seasons, etc. You can request "expedited service" if you are in a hurry.

I would start gathering documentation (certified copy of birth certificate) well in advance.

On the DISboards, there are many horror stories of people who wait until six weeks before a cruise before finding out they don't have the right documentation.

Woody

The earlier the better. When we first had to get a passport a few years ago, what we thought was an original birth certificate was NOT. It was an original from the hospital but NOT the US government official certificate. Lucky for us, we had started the process months earlier. And that was a busy time …so it took eight weeks to get a passport.

Two years ago, it took me and my DH 12 weeks!!! We applied at the end of December and almost did not get them in time for our cruise. But, this was just when the government had changed the travel requirements.

November 2009, we applied for our DD and she got her passport in two weeks! I think it depends on the time of the year. January is probably a very popular time for applications since people are cruising during spring break and many people receive vacations for gifts at christmas.

I've tried to read a few threads but am still not clear on whether or not a Passport is required for the Disney Cruise to the Bahamas.

Any help is greatly appreciated

DD and I applied in early December for our passports, and received them on Dec. 23rd. Not sure if it makes a difference, but we live in California. Needless to say, I was stunned at how fast we received them, since the lady at the post office (as well as the website) said they were currently running between 4-6 weeks.

The girls got theirs in 10 days and I got mine in about 3 weeks. I was shocked at how quickly they all came. But I got them in October for our February cruise as that can change at any time.

I know it has been a few months but when I applied for my daughter's in August, we got it in less than two weeks. HTH

My sons girlfriend also got hers in August and received it in 2 weeks. When I got mine 6yrs. ago found out that I had a short form with a raised stamp that was what California issued back then. :scared1: I had to get a long form to get a passport. Start as early as possible.

The guy at the passport place in Knoxville, TN told us they are coming back very quickly right now. I applied Dec 11 and we received are passports December 24th and the birth certificates came in the mail today. You do not want to wait too late because they send in your birth certificate with the application. It would be bad to not have your passports back in time for the cruise and also not have a birth certificate to use either.

I had a similar question about an Eastern Carribean cruise and understand that if it is a 'closed loop' cruise, then you currently don't need a passport, but that it is highly recommended to have one. You will need your birth certificate though and a government-issued photo ID. (Since we're just gonna go ahead an re-new our passport, I haven't looked further into it, but you might want to see if you can just get an official copy of your birth certificate to use instead. I personally don't like the idea of carrying around the real thing if I can help it.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter