Park Overcrowding, is it Disney’s Fault

IMHO, I don't think the ongoing suggestions for adding new/more attractions or a 5th gate makes any sense. I mean, what got us to this point? The more attractions/parks/entertainment, the more reasons to justify a trip to WDW. For that matter, the more there is to do in Orlando, the easier it is to justify a trip to Orlando. WDW has grown to a point with parks, resorts, restaurants, etc. to entice people from all over the world to justify a trip. Add more attractions and even more people will justify a trip, or two...
Adding in attractions more on the level of Dumbo isn't going to draw more guests but would add more capacity

As counterintuitive as it sounds, the way to reduce crowds is for guests to spend less $.

The current park availability system is not to ensure crowd levels are safe. They are determined by the maximum per person spend rate. Disney will keep increasing park availability as long as that spend rate doesn't begin to decrease. If guests are unhappy and spending less $ due to spending more time in ride queues or rationing $ due to higher prices around the parks and resorts, Disney will adjust accordingly. They wouldn't add capacity to counter a decreasing spend rate because that would increase unhappiness, decrease spend rate...and that cycle would continue.

I guarantee Disney does consider adding operating hours if that would increase the per person spend rate enough to cover the additional operational costs.

I enjoy spending time in Disney parks as much as the next person, but if we don't think all decisions are based on profitability then we are just kidding ourselves.

I agree with your bottom line and most of what you're saying. Personally I believe the biggest issue Disney is facing right now is staffing. If they hire more people, they could handle larger crowds. But it's likely they can't hire more unless they raise wages. But they can't just raise wages for only the new hires, and they seem unwilling to raise the current wages. So we're sort of stuck with the current situation.

I also find it intriguing that throughout the message boards, it seems that 50 percent of people say it's more crowded than ever, whereas the other half say it's about the same or less. I guess we could chalk that up to different days visiting and/or recency bias, but I think it's just another part of the formula that shows it's not entirely clear cut how good or bad the crowds really are.

I agree with your bottom line and most of what you're saying. Personally I believe the biggest issue Disney is facing right now is staffing. If they hire more people, they could handle larger crowds. But it's likely they can't hire more unless they raise wages. But they can't just raise wages for only the new hires, and they seem unwilling to raise the current wages. So we're sort of stuck with the current situation.

I also find it intriguing that throughout the message boards, it seems that 50 percent of people say it's more crowded than ever, whereas the other half say it's about the same or less. I guess we could chalk that up to different days visiting and/or recency bias, but I think it's just another part of the formula that shows it's not entirely clear cut how good or bad the crowds really are.
That is a very good point. One reason it could feel overcrowded is because the staffing levels are not up to where they should be relative to the capacity of guests that are being allowed entry. I would also agree that most staffing "shortages" are due to employers like Disney not willing to increase wages across the board.

Can’t have it both ways. People complain about the reservation system, the day they want to go is sold out. Get rid of the reservation system. Then people complain it’s overcrowded.
I think most people are complaining that it’s still overcrowded AND you have to make a reservation. If Disney wanted to reduce crowds, they have the tool to do it, and DID for a while. Now they just want to increase revenue, period.

I think most people are complaining that it’s still overcrowded AND you have to make a reservation. If Disney wanted to reduce crowds, they have the tool to do it, and DID for a while. Now they just want to increase revenue, period.
They’ve never wanted fewer guests. But operationally it helps to know how many people are coming on a given day. That’s what the reservation system is for.

I don’t believe the parks are crowded. I’ve seen waaay worse.
Let’s tilt the question a bit. Why do we have the feeling, more so in the last few years, that we aren’t getting the same value from our money and time at the parks?

Disney+

You have to think a bit bigger than just the parks. Disney is huge. All the great ideas people have here require money. Lots of it. And where is all the money from the parks going? To pay for Disney+

Covid was just a convenient excuse to make big changes but in reality what else happened right around Covid? Disney decided streaming was a focus, they bought FOX for billions, invest in Hulu and start churning out content for Disney+.

Where they getting all the money to buy and make all this content for Disney+? The parks. That means you have to milk the parks for all they are worth because you committed so hard to the streaming service and you have no choice. The service can’t make enough money on its own to pay for its own content. Not yet at least… in time it will be better but in the beginning and for awhile you gotta take it from the parks.

Use Capex to buy content and use Opex to make content for Disney+. It’s gotta come from somewhere and you have to do it fast. So that means Genie+, no DME, raise prices, park pass system, etc etc.

Use that cash from the parks to make the next Loki series and pay for FOX. That means less and less investment in the parks. And thus a more and worsening sense that we aren’t getting the same value out of our time and money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter