Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DD is at her FBLA competition right at this moment.
She worked really hard on her PSA this year....like really hard.

I said, "wow, you wait until senior year to get so serious about this?"
Her answer: "mom, nationals for FBLA are in Anaheim CA!"
:rolleyes1

So I called the financial aid office. It seems they need a non-filing verification letter from the IRS, but because Niece has never filed taxes, we have to either request it from a processing center in Kansas City by fax or go get it in person at a local office. However, it's tax season so the local office is swamped with no appointments available for almost a month. :scared:

So, I'm off to Fedex and I hope they still offer fax services for the public. The IRS claims, we'll get the letter within 10 days. We shall see.

I don't understand why I can't just submit a transcript of my taxes (which can be ordered on line and printed at home) which show Niece as a dependent.

We received notification from one of DS's schools that they needed copies of parents W2s and non-filing statement for DS. I scanned our W2s to them and faxed the non-filing request to the IRS from outlook at work. The next day we received an email from the school that they received the W2s and they were waiving the non-filing statement request. We did eventually receive the letter from the IRS but it took at least two weeks.

I have read that many people have their students file a tax return whether they are required to or not (provided they have some income) in order to avoid the hassle of getting the non-filing statement. Then you can just use the IRS retrieval tool on the FAFSA. We will be doing that next year.

Just as an FYI, you can still claim your niece as your dependent if she files her own tax return. I think there is a box she would check that she is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

Thank you, sksjasams. I may actually file a return for her for 2016 even though her income will be $0. It doesn't help me with this year, but I don't need to go through this two years in a row. I have a feeling, her fafsa will continue to get kicked out because if her "interesting" financial circumstances.

So ... I think I'm going to have my DD ask for 1-2 more letters of recommendation to give her a boost to get off the waitlist at the UW and MN. She's going to ask the Physical Therapist that she worked with last month for her clinic observation. I think she should also get another one. Her current letters are from her counselor (she had asked her English teacher, but that fell through) and last year's Algebra 3 teacher. Should she ask her Calculus teacher or her club swim coach (who is an Olympian). Or someone else?

So ... I think I'm going to have my DD ask for 1-2 more letters of recommendation to give her a boost to get off the waitlist at the UW and MN. She's going to ask the Physical Therapist that she worked with last month for her clinic observation. I think she should also get another one. Her current letters are from her counselor (she had asked her English teacher, but that fell through) and last year's Algebra 3 teacher. Should she ask her Calculus teacher or her club swim coach (who is an Olympian). Or someone else?
I'd ask her coach. My son's letter from his coach was his best recommendation by far. Their coaches work with them day in and day out. They can speak to their dedication to the sport while watching them maintain a rigorous school workload. When I read the letter from my son's coach, I actually teared up. It was very personal from someone who really sees and appreciates his focus, personality and leadership skills.

I'd ask her coach. My son's letter from his coach was his best recommendation by far. Their coaches work with them day in and day out. They can speak to their dedication to the sport while watching them maintain a rigorous school workload. When I read the letter from my son's coach, I actually teared up. It was very personal from someone who really sees and appreciates his focus, personality and leadership skills.

The coach was my first thought too!

The scholars program that my DD is applying for asked specifically for one from a science teacher.
I'd imagine that the PT program is science/math geared. If she has a good rapport with one of those teachers, I'd go that route.

How'd your DD do? My DD took 3rd in Accounting, which will send her to the state competition. She TOO realizes Nationals are in Anaheim this year and she plans to study extra hard. She went to Atlanta last year for Nationals, which was nice, but certainly not as motivating as Anaheim! :earsboy:

How'd your DD do? My DD took 3rd in Accounting, which will send her to the state competition. She TOO realizes Nationals are in Anaheim this year and she plans to study extra hard. She went to Atlanta last year for Nationals, which was nice, but certainly not as motivating as Anaheim! :earsboy:

Congrats to your DD! Well done!

My DD and her partner advanced to state for their PSA! Fingers crossed, they've never made it to nationals....

I have two sons who are applying to college this year-one undergrad and one graduate school. DS22 just called and said he received his acceptance to Univ. of Southern California's Viterbi School of Engineering for Aerospace engineering. It's in the top ten aerospace grad programs in the country! Now to find money to fund this! He has also applied to Colorado at Boulder, U of Illinois at Champagne-Urbana, U of Georgia, and U of Maryland. He got the toughest one out of the way first!

I also have dd19 who is a freshman at one of our state schools for speech language pathology. God help me get through these college years with four kids. Also freshman in hs dd15 will be coming around the pike.

Just a happy note for DD, her friend applied for U of Illinois for aerospace engineering, she missed the first application dateline, she was waiting for one more ACT score. Her friend was accepted Feb 4. Her friend also was accepted to Emery in FL for aerospace and was offered $18,000 for grades and $18,000 off from women in aero program. They too are now waiting to see if U of IL offers any scholarship money.

Just a happy note for DD, her friend applied for U of Illinois for aerospace engineering, she missed the first application dateline, she was waiting for one more ACT score. Her friend was accepted Feb 4. Her friend also was accepted to Emery in FL for aerospace and was offered $18,000 for grades and $18,000 off from women in aero program. They too are now waiting to see if U of IL offers any scholarship money.
Looks like our kids could end up at the same school if ds gets accepted into U of Il's grad program.

Congrats to your DD! Well done!

My DD and her partner advanced to state for their PSA! Fingers crossed, they've never made it to nationals....

I guess they just needed the proper motivation. Maybe I should promise a Disney trip if they win enough scholarships.

I have two sons who are applying to college this year-one undergrad and one graduate school. DS22 just called and said he received his acceptance to Univ. of Southern California's Viterbi School of Engineering for Aerospace engineering. It's in the top ten aerospace grad programs in the country! Now to find money to fund this! He has also applied to Colorado at Boulder, U of Illinois at Champagne-Urbana, U of Georgia, and U of Maryland. He got the toughest one out of the way first!

I also have dd19 who is a freshman at one of our state schools for speech language pathology. God help me get through these college years with four kids. Also freshman in hs dd15 will be coming around the pike.

We are trying to plan for when the third one goes too. I don't know how we are going to make it either.

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances, and the successes in the weekend's competitions!

DS went on a college visit with his girlfriend last weekend. This was his #3 school, and I *think* it's now off the list. She did buy a prom dress while there since it was out of state/different selection, and I was shocked at how much this dress cost!!! My DD was pretty low maintenance and her dress was under $100. With DS going to 2 proms, his tux rentals will be more than her dress was.

DS got into his lifetime dream school- University of Maryland College Park- already admitted into the business school- easy decision, right? No, now he is being recruited by the football team for another (D3, not as academically competitive) state school, which has also already offered him decent merit money. Smaller classes, honors college, at least $50-60K cheaper over the 4 years depending on the rest of the financial package, and automatically feeling like he's part of something on campus. He has NO IDEA what he wants to do, and I'm really struggling not to influence him either way. Like many of you, we will have 2 in college at the same time, and then 2 more after that, so cost is definitely a factor.

DS got into his lifetime dream school- University of Maryland College Park- already admitted into the business school- easy decision, right? No, now he is being recruited by the football team for another (D3, not as academically competitive) state school, which has also already offered him decent merit money. Smaller classes, honors college, at least $50-60K cheaper over the 4 years depending on the rest of the financial package, and automatically feeling like he's part of something on campus. He has NO IDEA what he wants to do, and I'm really struggling not to influence him either way. Like many of you, we will have 2 in college at the same time, and then 2 more after that, so cost is definitely a factor.

I'm the mom of a 2015, but for what it's worth....DS's 1st choice was the large, flagship state school, in a neighboring state. They play at the D1 level for athletics, and DS is not at that level. He's a soccer player, not a football player, but the analogy carries over. He was kind of lost at the big school, he was missing playing soccer desperately, and had lecture hall classes with more students than his HS graduating class! He stayed for the 1st year, and has since transferred to a (much) smaller in-state school here, and was able to join the soccer team. He is SO much happier at his new home, he's got his own 'tribe' (soccer team), likes the smaller classes much better, and all in all it's been a much better fit.

I know you're trying not to influence, but if he asks for advice, this is my .02c. Everything changes so drastically for these kids when they leave the nest, and go to college, and having a major constant can be helpful to them succeeding. I look at it this way, DS played highly competitive soccer from the age of 12-18. To have that not be part of his life all of a sudden, was a big gap, and he missed it MUCH more than he thought he would.

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances, and the successes in the weekend's competitions!

DS went on a college visit with his girlfriend last weekend. This was his #3 school, and I *think* it's now off the list. She did buy a prom dress while there since it was out of state/different selection, and I was shocked at how much this dress cost!!! My DD was pretty low maintenance and her dress was under $100. With DS going to 2 proms, his tux rentals will be more than her dress was.

College Park is HUGE!!!
I forced my oldest to apply there because it would have been affordable for us, but even though she got in and it was lower cost than almost all her other choices, she refused to go there. My youngest didn't even bother applying. Too big! My Niece just doesn't want to be that close to home and it's BIG, so even though she is open to bigger schools than my other girls (who both ended up at small liberal arts colleges), College Park just looks like an extension of high school to her, and big and impersonal to boot. She refused to apply. I like College Park and I think it would have been a lovely choice for any of them.

Looked a bit further into this, Texas only participates at the graduate school level.

That's too bad. I know of a few students who've gone to the University of Arkansas. It offers a scholarship to equalize costs.

New Arkansan Non-Resident Tuition Award Scholarship
**Updated Fall 2016 – Changes Effective Summer 2017**
The New Arkansan Non-Resident Tuition Award Scholarship (NRTA) is an opportunity that benefits students from across the country by making tuition and fees even more affordable. The NRTA scholarship covers the majority of the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition and is automatically granted to eligible degree-seeking students. Students must apply for admission to be considered but are not required to submit a separate scholarship application. New Arkansan NRTA recipients will be first notified on their admission profile residency statement. Awarded students will also receive additional information from the Academic Scholarship Office.

Eligibility
The New Arkansan NRTA is awarded to entering freshmen and transfer students from Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas. The Extended States New Arkansan NRTA is awarded to entering freshmen and transfer students from the rest of the country.

Thank you SKMom

I had a sit down with my DD the other night and could not have been more clear.
She chose to not apply instate and take advantage of substantial merit/scholarships that could have provided her with a very reasonable cost of education.
She chose to apply to schools knowing Mom/Dad cannot/will not foot the bill, will not take out a loan, will not co-sign loans. We have offered her what we gave her brother.
I reminded her that she has until the end of April to figure out how she plans to pay for school and that she should look beyond just the first year and plan out all 4 for financing as it would suck to get one year in and not be able to continue.
I also told her that perhaps she might need to take a gap year, work, learn to drive and re-evaluate her criteria for choosing where to attend college.

The next day, she comes to me with her plan on finding co-signors for her 4 year plan. :)

I've done all I can, at this point I am going to do some more research on taking that gap year - the Pro's / Con's (Anyone have any experience or knowledge? PLEASE chime in)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter