Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Thank you SKMom

I had a sit down with my DD the other night and could not have been more clear.
She chose to not apply instate and take advantage of substantial merit/scholarships that could have provided her with a very reasonable cost of education.
She chose to apply to schools knowing Mom/Dad cannot/will not foot the bill, will not take out a loan, will not co-sign loans. We have offered her what we gave her brother.
I reminded her that she has until the end of April to figure out how she plans to pay for school and that she should look beyond just the first year and plan out all 4 for financing as it would suck to get one year in and not be able to continue.
I also told her that perhaps she might need to take a gap year, work, learn to drive and re-evaluate her criteria for choosing where to attend college.

The next day, she comes to me with her plan on finding co-signors for her 4 year plan. :)

I've done all I can, at this point I am going to do some more research on taking that gap year - the Pro's / Con's (Anyone have any experience or knowledge? PLEASE chime in)

Hugs to you. You must be so frustrated. I'm sad for your DD, that she doesn't get it. Is it possible to have her guidance counselor speak with her? Maybe the facts coming from an outsider would be heard.

Hugs to you. You must be so frustrated. I'm sad for your DD, that she doesn't get it. Is it possible to have her guidance counselor speak with her? Maybe the facts coming from an outsider would be heard.
I've contemplated reaching out to the college adviser at the high school but have decided at this point the ball is in her court. Its too late to run around and start applying elsewhere for the fall 2017 semester, she has no one to blame but herself. She has to figure this out, I didn't do this. My hubs and I have had many discussions regarding this, we are not depriving her, these are choices she has made despite everything we have said and at some point she has to learn that her decisions have consequences. I don't mean to sound harsh, as a parent we want her to fulfill her dreams BUT she also has to be realistic and she currently is not.

Could she defer enrollment for a year? She could then get a job and maybe take classes at a community college.

That is just so frustrating! I'm so sorry she won't listen to you.

Could she defer enrollment for a year? She could then get a job and maybe take classes at a community college.

Be careful of Community College courses if merit aid is a must to make school possible. Many schools give most of their money to incoming freshman. If a student transfers in with hours, merit aid may be limited, as well.

A gap year and then applying to state schools might be her best option. Although, I'm not sure how Universities view gap years.

Be careful of Community College courses if merit aid is a must to make school possible. Many schools give most of their money to incoming freshman. If a student transfers in with hours, merit aid may be limited, as well.

A gap year and then applying to state schools might be her best option. Although, I'm not sure how Universities view gap years.
She would need to take the year off in order to maintain that Freshman status. Her grades and test scores would have gotten her a free ride to several of the state schools here in Texas. I have been doing some research on the whole "gap" concept and I believe from what I am reading she can defer the schools currently accepted as well as apply as a freshman for the 2018 fall term. I believe she could even do the spring 2017 but mid year starts are not necessarily in the class/course selections best flow.

College Confidential has regular questions/discussions about gap years. Ideas about what to do that year to strengthen your application, how to help a kid grow that year, etc. Might want to poke around there. Takes a bit of reading to get a true flavor of the place, it's not all talk about expensive LAC's and kids with to die for stats.

College Confidential has regular questions/discussions about gap years. Ideas about what to do that year to strengthen your application, how to help a kid grow that year, etc. Might want to poke around there. Takes a bit of reading to get a true flavor of the place, it's not all talk about expensive LAC's and kids with to die for stats.

Great advice. I have learned quite a bit on college confidential.

I know better...............really, I do and yet, suckered again :oops:

Letter from Project Grad a few weeks ago, they were in desperate need of volunteers for the various fund raising efforts. I agreed to man the concessions for boys soccer for 3 Fridays from 4-10pm. I "thought" this was going to be the concessions facility in the stadium. Today, the coordinator sends me an email to confirm I'm coming and to meet her in the stands of the stadium. Ummm, the stands? Out in the elements? o_O
She says, "yes, I set up a table in the bleachers, we made $75 over the past TWO home game schedules". :sad: I should have just written a check like most normal people do..............

Was looking for some advice. Been following along but haven't commented much. My DS18 is a senior and has been accepted to all the programs he applied to. He has also been given merit scholarships to 2 of the schools. The third school which is his first choice he is a finalist for a much larger scholarship but he has to interview for it in March. They said if you have any awards or achievements you'd like to present at the interview that would be fine.
I'm wondering if it's appropriate for him to discuss his other scholarship offers, let them know they are his first choice but that we probably won't be able to do it if he doesn't get the scholarship. Just not really sure if this kind of thing is discussed or if there is another way to let the school know this? Thanks for any help.
I cannot wait for this to be over!! Ready to sit back and actually enjoy a bit of his senior year!

This week I went through all my digital pictures on the computer and picked out about 230 pictures of DD and another 30+ of her and BFF, and uploaded them to Shutterfly. I plan to order prints to display one way or another at their reception. So fun to look at them all :lovestruc

Still need to go through the box of photos from pre-digital era. We didn't have a digital camera until she was 4. I may have to pull some from my scrapbooks but that's okay, most of the pics are coming loose anyway!

We decided last year that we liked printed photos at receptions that you could look at on your own time, rather than a slideshow playing.

Was looking for some advice. Been following along but haven't commented much. My DS18 is a senior and has been accepted to all the programs he applied to. He has also been given merit scholarships to 2 of the schools. The third school which is his first choice he is a finalist for a much larger scholarship but he has to interview for it in March. They said if you have any awards or achievements you'd like to present at the interview that would be fine.
I'm wondering if it's appropriate for him to discuss his other scholarship offers, let them know they are his first choice but that we probably won't be able to do it if he doesn't get the scholarship. Just not really sure if this kind of thing is discussed or if there is another way to let the school know this? Thanks for any help.
I cannot wait for this to be over!! Ready to sit back and actually enjoy a bit of his senior year!

Congratulations to your son. I think this is a conversation to have with the financial aid office separate from his interview. He should be prepared to talk to what it would take for him to attend but I don't think he should bring up his financial needs unless asked.

That's true if she enrolls in a degree program. Our community colleges offer all types of classes that are one offs and don't count towards a degree. I was thinking more in terms of keeping in the groove of going to school. She could also just take a course or two through coursera and do an internship.

Letter from Project Grad a few weeks ago, they were in desperate need of volunteers for the various fund raising efforts. I agreed to man the concessions for boys soccer for 3 Fridays from 4-10pm. I "thought" this was going to be the concessions facility in the stadium. Today, the coordinator sends me an email to confirm I'm coming and to meet her in the stands of the stadium. Ummm, the stands? Out in the elements? o_O
She says, "yes, I set up a table in the bleachers, we made $75 over the past TWO home game schedules". :sad: I should have just written a check like most normal people do..............
They made $75 per game or $75 combined? In either case it seems like a ridiculously small amount for 6 hours of work on your part. Maybe you can be a better sales person. Or ... after one night insist that you go back inside.

Oh heck no LOL- not sure where you live but I hate the cold so no way would I do that. SO 75.00 for 2 home games- 6 hours each game?? So you make 6.25 an hour- I would SO write them a check and stay home LOL. Just run a 50/50 there you can make that much in WAY less time- even at drama club shows at school the 50/50 brings in hundreds each show!

Congratulations to your son. I think this is a conversation to have with the financial aid office separate from his interview. He should be prepared to talk to what it would take for him to attend but I don't think he should bring up his financial needs unless asked.
I agree

Finished the dedication for the yearbook last night. DS also turned 18 on Thursday. I have been an emotional mess; just randomly bursting into tears, lol. DD found the perfect quote for him. ' The only thing impossible is impossibility.' - Phineas Fletcher. He was a huge Phineas and Ferb fan when he was younger and I had to get Disney in there somehow! Semi-formal tonight; such emotional times!

As the President of our Project Celebration, thank you for volunteering. I know you hate to do it, but so few people are willing to help.

I agree. And good luck to your son. Do you mind me asking which scholarship it is?

This week I went through all my digital pictures on the computer and picked out about 230 pictures of DD and another 30+ of her and BFF, and uploaded them to Shutterfly. I plan to order prints to display one way or another at their reception. So fun to look at them all :lovestruc

Still need to go through the box of photos from pre-digital era. We didn't have a digital camera until she was 4. I may have to pull some from my scrapbooks but that's okay, most of the pics are coming loose anyway!

We decided last year that we liked printed photos at receptions that you could look at on your own time, rather than a slideshow playing.

Love that idea! I am so jealous, I still haven't got all my pictures together.

Finished the dedication for the yearbook last night. DS also turned 18 on Thursday. I have been an emotional mess; just randomly bursting into tears, lol. DD found the perfect quote for him. ' The only thing impossible is impossibility.' - Phineas Fletcher. He was a huge Phineas and Ferb fan when he was younger and I had to get Disney in there somehow! Semi-formal tonight; such emotional times!

Perfect quote!

@mamacatnv- did you hear that Berkeley sent out acceptance emails to "The 2000" yesterday? The top 2000 freshman were notified. I guess my DS is #2001. :rolleyes1 Oh well... the wait continues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter