Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DD got waitlisted. This is her dream school. Oh well, better than being rejected. It's a tough school to get into.

Congrats to your DD. What is her major?

Thanks, I know a lot of strong candidates got deferred to regular decision so your daughter is in good company. Best of luck to her.

Dd's preferred major is statistics (I know, but she loves it). Northeastern doesn't offer this so she chose math. She loved the co-op program, the location and the campus so that really swayed her to apply.

Three of my sons friends got into Yale yesterday. Three!! I'm very happy for them, as is my son. I could see the sadness in his eyes though. He wants to be present for his friends, meanwhile our stupid state school will not throw him a bone. It's a tough time right now.
Wow, thats a hefty stat - I assume these are all classmates?
Crossing fingers that your DS gets into UT - I'll have to ask DD if any of her friends applied who were not auto-admit to see if they are hearing anything yet.
I have not heard from DD this morning but I am assuming her friend who applied to MIT did not get in or we would have heard.

DD is still waiting to hear from Minnesota, I think her choice of majors (astrophysic which she is now rethinking) may have slowed the process. While she has great stats, I'm not sure she has great stats for a rocket scientist :)

Wow, thats a hefty stat - I assume these are all classmates?
Crossing fingers that your DS gets into UT - I'll have to ask DD if any of her friends applied who were not auto-admit to see if they are hearing anything yet.
I have not heard from DD this morning but I am assuming her friend who applied to MIT did not get in or we would have heard.

DD is still waiting to hear from Minnesota, I think her choice of majors (astrophysic which she is now rethinking) may have slowed the process. While she has great stats, I'm not sure she has great stats for a rocket scientist :)
My fingers are crossed for both of our kiddos. I know they will land where they belong in the end and everything will work out.

Yes, all three Yale kids are in his tiny class of about a 100. His class has 18 National Merit Scholars just to give you a picture of what my DS has been learning from and competing with since kinder. These brainiac kids are all very close friends, so my DS is definitely proud and happy for them. I know they are pulling for him as well.

Last edited:
DS is a huge procrastinator. Deadline for U Buffalo was midnight last night. Guess what time he hit send? 11:55. Yup. Spent all night writing his common app essay and honor's college essay. At 11:50 I was panicking cause he was still editing and we hadn't even entered credit card info for the common app yet. Once we did that it said it could take up to 2 minutes to process! I was freaking out. It will be interesting to see how he ends up doing-he has a wide range of schools from UB to U of Rochester, RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) Boston College, Harvard and MIT! He will get into most (last two are big reaches but it is possible with his scores).

Anyone else have a procrastinator? This is our third kid applying to college, he likes to be completely independent with all this but I might go insane in the process!

ETA: Oh yea, forgot that my OTHER son (21) was also sending his grad school application last night for a midnight deadline. So I was also proof reading a personal statement for him (Opening line: "It all started with Star Wars and Legos"). He's going into Aerospace Engineering, undergrad is a physics degree.

Today at 4pm is when U of Illinois sent out emails for acceptance. DD loaded her page at 3:45pm and she got in! Her first choice school and her first choice for civil engineering. Some of her friends can not see the page it states browser is loading still.
Awesome! Congratulations to her!!!

ETA: Oh yea, forgot that my OTHER son (21) was also sending his grad school application last night for a midnight deadline. So I was also proof reading a personal statement for him (Opening line: "It all started with Star Wars and Legos"). He's going into Aerospace Engineering, undergrad is a physics degree.
I love it!

Yes, I have a procrastinator. I also have a child who is more interested in going out with her friends than doing school work over the weekend. *sigh*

I'm actually surprised dd took my advice and didn't procrastinate. She had her common ap done in late September and applied to 4 of 5 schools. The 5th, Case Western, she added in early November.

Her 1st choice is GW. She did regular decision because we didn't want the financial gamble with early decision.

Right now she has 2 acceptances. Northeastern gave her enough that it's doable. She'll wait it out until she hears from all schools.

It's going to be a long 3 months.

DS heard from another school today that he got in. This was a small, private school that DH wanted him to apply to; however, DS really had no interest in going...lol. He got a $19,000 merit based scholarship, but this place costs so much that it's still a lot!

Question: I have wrote that DD was accepted to her first choice school and study. There will probably be no scholarship or merit money, which we knew. They tell you in February and March.

Her second choice school sent her that she is a finalist for the president and Chandler scholarships up to $70000 off, she has to go there for interviews. It is a 4.5 hr one way trip, should she go for the experience, in case the first school does offer and has interviews so she would have an small idea a maybe a little calm of what to expect?

TIA

Question: I have wrote that DD was accepted to her first choice school and study. There will probably be no scholarship or merit money, which we knew. They tell you in February and March.

Her second choice school sent her that she is a finalist for the president and Chandler scholarships up to $70000 off, she has to go there for interviews. It is a 4.5 hr one way trip, should she go for the experience, in case the first school does offer and has interviews so she would have an small idea a maybe a little calm of what to expect?

TIA

I think having an opportunity to interview is always a good thing. My only recommendation is to make sure she prepares. She doesn't have to go crazy but should be able to talk about what attracted her to the school, her interests, what she can bring to the school and a,few questions she can ask.

Thanks poohforu. I thinking now not going. Only because it could take a spot away from someone who really wants that school. Your comments of what she should talk about if she gets an offer for U of I helps me a lot

She will be the first generation in this family to go away for school all else are local and/or local trade school.

Thanks poohforu. I thinking now not going. Only because it could take a spot away from someone who really wants that school. Your comments of what she should talk about if she gets an offer for U of I helps me a lot

She will be the first generation in this family to go away for school all else are local and/or local trade school.

How exciting, best of luck to her. I have a few friends who do alumni interviews for their colleges. They like to see students who are passionate about something (it could be stamp collecting), have a desire to go to that college and just an upbeat personality.

TIA
$70,000? That's a big chunk of change. I would have my DD give that a long look.

Anyone else have a procrastinator? This is our third kid applying to college, he likes to be completely independent with all this but I might go insane in the process!

MINE!! She got accepted to every one she has applied to so far but they were all schools she is just "meh" about- the ones she really wants to go to she has not finished applying to yet! This whole break is going to be just writing essays- pisses me off that she waited for the last minutes- she has 5 applications to finish by Jan 1st! And they are all schools that have 4-5 essays per application to do!!

My son has accepted his admission into his first choice school. He got into both schools he applied to early so there wasn't a need to apply to any others since those were his 1st and 2nd choices. It took him about a month to decide which one to ultimately go with. Now, he is working on scholarships/funding. He is really focused on an ROTC scholarship, but I told him not to place all his eggs in one basket. I am really glad that he is independent and for the most part, not procrastinating.

One college my daughter applied to was the first to send her an acceptance letter- they gave her 24,000 plus first year study abroad and honors program. Still waiting on financial aid package from them but two weeks after she got the acceptance they sent letter saying they relooked at her application and offered her an additional 2,000 scholarship for something and this week we got another letter saying they are offering another 3,000- if we wait long enough to respond maybe they will offer another LOL- unfortunately its like her bottom choice school!

Dd got accepted to University of Tennessee (Go Vols!). But I can't figure out of she got accepted to just the university or to the Nursing Program at the University. We've been too busy with Christmas to check. At any rate, the out of state tuition is a financial reach for us, not sure about any merit money yet.

She'll find out about her top two schools in late January.

Another parent of a procrastinator here! I have been staying away from this thread as it just added to my anxiety! I am happy to report that all 6 applications were sent this morning. Phew! Now, we wait. One of the schools is both his academic and financial safety school (UMass Amherst). So, whatever happens with the other schools, I figure he will at least have SOMEWHERE that he is happy to go.
Congrats to everyone who is done with the wait and good luck to those still waiting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter