Parents of the Class of 2019

design_mom, your post made me curious, so I did a search on the 25 places in Ohio that will terrify you, and several of them are college dorms! A couple are also places I have been, and one was creepy but the I didn't really think was.

This is his dorm... and the story from the university web page:

Ghost of Helen Peabody

Throughout most of its existence, Western Female Seminary enjoyed a cordial, if not always warm, relationship with neighboring Miami University. During the nineteenth century in particular, contact between the men and women of the two institutions was strictly controlled by administrators concerned for the moral well-being of their charges.

Western Female Seminary Principal Helen Peabody, an outspoken opponent of coeducation, was especially protective of her students and always suspicious of the Miami men who occasionally, and not always innocently, wandered onto Western property. Ms. Peabody took her convictions to the grave, and it is not hard to imagine how she would have reacted to the sight of Miami men freely roaming the corridors of the Hall that now bears her name.

In fact, it appears that Ms. Peabody may have done far more than merely turn over in her grave. According to some witnesses, her spirit leaves the tomb occasionally to watch over the women of Peabody Hall and to haunt the men who now dare to walk its corridors. Those who have seen her claim that Helen Peabody remains in death, as she was in life, a very formidable woman.

Attachments

• peabody.jpg
    peabody.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 6
6 weeks before he leaves for college, the boy now finally has a job. :rotfl: He got hired by American Eagle, so at least he should have somewhere to go to work during breaks and probably next summer unless he gets some sort of internship. He dragged his feet long enough, but at least has something to do for the next month or so. :thumbsup2

DS is out of town, but he forwarded an email to me with a link to his bill. Yippee. He told me his schedule was there too. He has an 8:30 class 2 days a week but his latest class ends at 4:00 so not too bad. He has a break every day except Wednesday that will be long enough for lunch (small campus), and he is finished at 2:00 on Wednesdays.

6 weeks before he leaves for college, the boy now finally has a job. :rotfl: He got hired by American Eagle, so at least he should have somewhere to go to work during breaks and probably next summer unless he gets some sort of internship. He dragged his feet long enough, but at least has something to do for the next month or so. :thumbsup2
Mine is giving notice tomorrow! :laughing: She wants to enjoy some down time before the year gets under way. She also has applied for a front desk job in her dorm. If she gets it, she'll have to be there 12 days early, or 3 weeks from tomorrow. Oh my. That one caught me off guard. I tried hard to feign some enthusiasm for her.

On the up side, our son just started a new job this week and is now living in the same town where she's going to school. It will be such a relief to have him there if she needs something. And he now lives 2 hours from home instead of 7 hours away. It's still a lot to adjust to, but not bad, all in all.

One of our cats considers DS "her" person. She did OK when he was traveling last month, but you could definitely tell she was missing him. And he's going to miss her like crazy.
It was so hard when our son left for school. "His" cat was so attached to him. That cat never left his room except to eat and use the box. He practically lived on his bed. I think leaving the cat was harder than leaving his family!

Has everyone booked their travel arrangements for parent weekend or homecoming (if they’re planning on going)?

I haven't yet - mostly because it's not on the official schedule we got, so I'm not completely sure of the date at this point. (I do think I saw it on something from orientation, but I need to confirm.)

I'm not worried, though, as DS's school is only about 40 minutes from another city DH frequently travels to for work. If we book too late to get something right near school, we'll just stay at his favorite place there on points and make the slightly longer drive to the events.

Has everyone booked their travel arrangements for parent weekend or homecoming (if they’re planning on going)?

We haven't yet. DH is scheduled to work 24 hour shift that Saturday, so unsure what we will do. He is going to see about taking it off, but they have exactly enough people to fill the medic schedule and it can't always be done. Their policy is that time off needs to be requested 3 months ahead of time, and we are past that. DS' school is only 2 hours away, so we could go up on Friday and DH come back Friday night for work on Saturday and I can see about riding home with a friend whose son goes to the same school We could also just take two cars up as well.

We've booked a hotel for family weekend and will likely drive the 6-ish hours unless we find cheap airfare. I'm also going to book DS airfare for October break and Thanksgiving break. I won't do Christmas break until he knows when his finals will be.

I’m hoping she is ok with us skipping parents weekend, everything is booked up, and fall weekends are usually full of soccer games. We never went with dd22 and ds21, they never even told us about them. I’d rather visit at a less crowded and less expensive time, and bring dd16 and ds16.

By the time DS made his college decision, all the hotels in his college town were already booked for Family Weekend. The next closest hotels are 30 minutes away (but even farther from home. There is a major hotel shortage on event weekends, apparently.) DS didn’t seem interested in any of the special activities that are planned, so we might go a different weekend instead. But, if he decides he wants us there, we could potentially drive there for the day. It would be a long day, but doable.

Hey everyone just got back from Dd Freshman orientation at Hofstra which was 3 days for her. Dd had lots of anxiety over her choice to go out of state to college since most of her friends are not. Dd worried about making friends but not to fear as she made friends at orientation 😂 . Dd had a few scheduling bumps as she has decided to double major but overall I think this trip reinforced her decision to go to Hofstra. Me on the other hand is still feeling anxious about her leaving in a month

Tuition has been paid! Don’t forget to opt out of health insurance if yours provides coverage. Dd is down the shore on LBI in an enormous house with a pool her friend’s parents rented for a week, her friend’s graduation party is being held there Wednesday. They are a tight group of 6 who have been friends forever, I think they talked their moms into getting tiny daisy tattoos together today.

It’s been a whirlwind of a summer with little time for the dis boards. I just got all caught up. Enjoyed reading everyone’s updates.

My DS left for work in Alaska right after graduation. First time he has traveled alone. He’s grown up a lot and should be ready for college just 8 hour drive from home. He’s coming home next week but not quite home. He’s meeting us in Minneapolis where he has a cousin. We are also looking at a school in MN and one in IA for his raising junior sister. Then we are touring SD & ND. Then he’ll have 3 1/2 weeks at home before leaving for college.

All freshman attend orientation the weekend before classes start. He also signed up for a preorientation trip to the Adirondacks. I don’t think he has seen his housing assignment yet. He asked for Outdoor Enthusiasts LLC. We are also attending a picnic about a week after our MN trip for freshman in our area.

DD and I attended a "College Ready" event at Bed, Bath & Beyond today. It was fun!! We had some good mom and daughter time. They had a folder personalized to her and her college (including what is prohibited in the dorms at her school), some freebies (like "free lemonade at Cane's" cards), giveaway drawings, free food and drink, and lots of helpful staff. We are flying to move-in, so we picked up a few things today (entire purchase 20% off today) and did a pack and hold order for Palo Alto and received a code for 20% off that order. DD is so relieved that she has her bedding/room decor ideas finalized.

I dropped DD off at orientation this morning. I'm working from the hotel room waiting for my parent orientation on Wednesday! She had the bright idea to ask the hotel for extra sheets she could take, which we got, instead of running to a Walmart for cheapo sheets. Since we'll be flying in for her drop off we'll buy everything once we get here (although she's already got her sheets, we'll just fly them out with us!).

I think she's really excited, she's been working at the pool quite a bit this summer, and doesn't plan on quitting until just before she leaves so she'll have some extra spending money.

Schedule is now online - not sure if we'll have any changes to this, but overall, the schedule doesn't seem too bad except for an 8am lab Mon-Thurs and a late afternoon Friday class. He got a 5 on Calc BC AP exam and it looks like that got him the 8 credits for Calc 1 and 2, so he's starting right into Multivariable Calculus (which, I assume, is basically Calc 3?). Even the core classes sound like they'd be interesting. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter